Merged Becton Injury Thread

43 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Aside from 4 win seasons, I don’t see it at all.

Are you seriously comparing Wilson’s rookie year to the one Burrow had?

I’m not even going to get into the different level of competition and preparedness between the two coming into the league.

Lol.  It was meant tongue-in-cheek.  Though, of course, you never know!

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He reported what he was told.  
You want to turn that into BS and a lie. 
He wasn’t getting a MRI initially.

He didn't lie, he was in denial and he put it out because he's fully invested in positive vibes beats doing the actual work.    Saleh reported he was getting an MRI.  

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

you left out one crucial reward...2nd contract.

These kids like all kids believe they will live forever but some of the smarter ones get a taste of the 1st contract and realize the incentive to get the 2nd whether be with current team or next.

I did leave out the 2nd contract - intentionally.  It's not relevant to a discussion of Becton/Mims.

That's because the type of person/player we are talking about isn't inherently motivated by long term rewards.  If they were, there'd be no malcontents, no loafers, everyone would be self-starters, and largely more successful.  Everyone in the NFL has the opportunity to get a massive 2nd contract, and yet, some still don't work hard.  Obviously that down the line reward isn't getting the job done.

Why is that?  Because not all people respond to rewards/consequences they don't immediately feel.  The 'now' is prioritized over long term planning.  Example: Smoking cigarettes is easily one of the dumbest things a person can do.  You're spending $15 a day to give yourself cancer and screw up your teeth and skin.  But, because the cancer is down the road, and not, of course, guaranteed, it's not a universal deterrent.

That a "contract year" is a thing proves this point in NFL terms.  When the reward is actually in sight, and nearly immediate, a person with low effort/low motivation may improve in these areas - and that's also why they tend to disappoint on that 2nd contract.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Well least we know longer have to wonder  why it took so long for him to come back. He obviously has some underlying issue with his knees or the initial  injury was way worse than anyone thought, plus he’s a big dude and that doesn’t help on a weight bearing joint. Saleh pretty much diek played it  it both times, don’t blame him, I wouldn’t want to acknowledge it  at first either in his shoes . So I guess? NMU! 

This is it right here. And it's what I've been saying. 

Last year was not a 5-8 week injury. The medical staff got it wrong. Just reading what Dr Chao is saying about this injury from his article here sounds like this could have been prevented with surgery to realign his kneecap.

https://sicscore.com/nfl/updates/mekhi-becton-out-for-season-with-right-knee-injury

Surgery to realign his kneecap was likely an option last season, but the Jets and Becton elected to rehab the injury.

• Upvote 2

Seems there are a lot of people exclusively blaming Becton for his joints giving out on his extremely large body, when perhaps the blame should be shifted a bit toward Joe Douglas (and Gase? idk) who should've known this was a major possibility when he invested a high first round draft pick in this man to play a critical position.

I don't see any motivation issues with Becton. His body just can't do it. That sucks. Is it his fault for weighing as much as he does? Maybe it is, but (as many people on this board can surely attest) maybe it somewhat isn't.

Bottom line is Douglas botched the 2020 draft and now it's time to move on and move on quickly. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Well it looks like Mekhi is done for this year.

What are the fall backs Eric Fisher, Duane Brown, Trade for Tevin Jenkins.

2 moves need to be made at this point,  Sign Brown and Trade for Jenkins.  Package Mims and a 5th next year for Jenkins.

A lot of reporting that Jenkins has been butting heads with the new staff in Chicago. They moved him from starting LT to backup RT. It’s possible that he’s one of those guys who just needs a change of scenery, sure, but I’d do my due diligence before I had him put pen to paper. 

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I did leave out the 2nd contract - intentionally.  It's not relevant to a discussion of Becton/Mims.

That's because the type of person/player we are talking about isn't inherently motivated by long term rewards.  If they were, there'd be no malcontents, no loafers, everyone would be self-starters, and largely more successful.  Everyone in the NFL has the opportunity to get a massive 2nd contract, and yet, some still don't work hard.  Obviously that down the line reward isn't getting the job done.

Why is that?  Because not all people respond to rewards/consequences they don't immediately feel.  The 'now' is prioritized over long term planning.  Example: Smoking cigarettes is easily one of the dumbest things a person can do.  You're spending $15 a day to give yourself cancer and screw up your teeth and skin.  But, because the cancer is down the road, and not, of course, guaranteed, it's not a universal deterrent.

That a "contract year" is a thing proves this point in NFL terms.  When the reward is actually in sight, and nearly immediate, a person with low effort/low motivation may improve in these areas - and that's also why they tend to disappoint on that 2nd contract.

but there is flaw in that thinking...we are not just talking about Mims and Becton as they do have representation and that representation is also a motivator and they are urging these player to get themselves on "tape" and surely reminding them of consequences in language they understand. 

not like some kid going to jail for something and not be rehabilitated who has nobody in their corner.

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Interesting post.   My take on Parcells is he was a great teacher and surrounding himself with high quality coaches who worked very hard.  In fact my take on all the great NFL HC's is they were simply smarter and outworked their contemporaries and surrounded themselves with like minded coaches.   Lots of his motivational tactics and his approach to media was actually schtick and much of it tongue in check and funny.   I think it helped in team building and he basically called out guys with schtick and guys who could handle it.  It sent a message to the team and helped build the team.

Most NFL players have been raised in a highly competitive environment.  Many of them want to be great having nothing to do with money.  Guys who are motivated by money have a lot to gain by getting a second and third contract.  It's up to management to figure this out and deal with them accordingly.  

NFL players during Parcells era were paid very high salaries on a comparative basis.   You have to go back to the 60's to an era when NFL players weren't highly paid on a relative basis.  Even in the 60's coaches like Lombardi and Stram were simply smarter and worked harder than their competitors. 

There have always been malcontents who were talented enough to make a difference in championship quality teams.  The Jets aren't there yet.  

Good points.  Parcells started as a HC before I was born, won two super bowls before I was 6, and was done with the Jets when I was in my mid-teens, so I can't say I have a great understanding of him as a coach.  That's why he was sort of an afterthought in my post vs. something I can speak to - motivation, rewards/punishment, and behavior change.

I do know that players were paid "a lot" back then, but I'm not sure it was to the same scale.  Today, Mehki Becton is generationally wealthy just based on his draft position.  Was that the case in the late 80s?  Players were rich, but did your first contract secure your great-grandchildren's future?  For Mims - maybe it's only him and his children, based on his 5M deal?

Also agreed that there will be guys who are malcontents or lazy that are so good they overcome that.  Mims and Becton are not.

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dont believe we’ve ever gotten the true story on how high maintenance this player truly is either/

Yep, “Optimistic Oliver” as Saleh self-identifies just covers and covers for his players.

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Good points.  Parcells started as a HC before I was born, won two super bowls before I was 6, and was done with the Jets when I was in my mid-teens, so I can't say I have a great understanding of him as a coach.  That's why he was sort of an afterthought in my post vs. something I can speak to - motivation, rewards/punishment, and behavior change.

I do know that players were paid "a lot" back then, but I'm not sure it was to the same scale.  Today, Mehki Becton is generationally wealthy just based on his draft position.  Was that the case in the late 80s?  Players were rich, but did your first contract secure your great-grandchildren's future?  For Mims - maybe it's only him and his children, based on his 5M deal?

Also agreed that there will be guys who are malcontents or lazy that are so good they overcome that.  Mims and Becton are not.

18 million before taxes isn't generational wealth.  Many of these players will be broke by 40.

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of glad I was traveling all day and didn't have much of a chance to read the board, and I'm certainly not going to go back and read 26 pages of, what I assume to be, a lot of people piling on the guy, especially those who care more about saying "I told you so" then anything else.

I feel bad for the kid, although I felt his heart wasn't into playing football as much as it should have been, I was impressed at the work he put in to get into shape for camp, even if it took longer than expected.  What's worse, is that it sounds like the injury initially occurred before the play that was seen in the fan video that was tweeted out.   Per Cimini:

Becton appeared to hurt the knee in an early O-line drill Monday morning. He limped around but stayed in practice. A few minutes later, on the second play of an 11-on-11 period, Becton fell backward after being jolted by defensive end John Franklin-Myers. Becton's right foot seemed to get caught in the grass, perhaps causing his knee to bend awkwardly.

So the kid hurts his knee, tries to tough it out, and probably ends up hurting the knee even worse.

Tough break but it's time to move on and get someone in here who can stay on the field.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

How's everyone feeling about not drafting Icky now ???  That's not to say I didn't like our draft.... Let's hope Mitchell turns out to be something.

Still thrilled they passed on him. Absolutely delighted. Sauce has the potential to be a star and genuine difference maker. Too many people here focus on the OL like it’s the only thing that matters. There’s plenty of hindsight to go around here, but if I were to play that game, it would center more on bringing in capable vet backups. The Jets don’t need the #4 pick at OT, they need a replacement level RT. Should they have taken care of that already? Probably, but they didn’t. It’s still a position they should be able to fix. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

but there is flaw in that thinking...we are not just talking about Mims and Becton as they do have representation and that representation is also a motivator and they are urging these player to get themselves on "tape" and surely reminding them of consequences in language they understand. 

not like some kid going to jail for something and not be rehabilitated who has nobody in their corner.

I mean, we are talking about Mims and Becton.  They're the actors.  Who's supporting them isn't really relevant... Just what they do.

The NFL puts in place a 'no questions asked' car service to mitigate drunk driving, and yet, every year there's a handful of DUIs.

Some people aren't going to do right/better themselves regardless of the systems in place to support them.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Ok, and?  I think we can all agree it's easier/better to be an NFL player than in prison.  Both at present and for future prospects.

More Reddit gold LOL you can’t make this s*** up  

“I was researching Becton’s injury history in college and it looks like he missed just 1 game. Most draft profiles show no issues or concerns about injuries. 

However, in doing the research, I came across this draft profile of Mekhi from a Seahawks fan site. There’s nothing related to injuries but I found it funny that the profile talks about how Becton would be a great pick to replace their soon to be free agent George Fant or be groomed to be the replacement for RT Duane Brown. Hmmm, small world! 

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/seahawks-nfl-draft-profile-mekhi-becton “

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

The big issue is that Duane brown doesn't fix the issue.  He is more of a depth piece incase people get hurt.  He is not good enough to start the whole year anymore but could get you through a pinch.  I could see a bigger trade happening here for Dillard as well as signing brown. But that will cost him some draft capital. 

It will be interesting to see how he solves this issue but don't expect brown to be the only signing.  There will be something else as they were already planning on brown signing with becton healthy

I dont think JD can solve the issue at this point.  Everything he can do this season is a stop gap measure but that doesnt mean the Jets situation at T week 1 cant be much better than it is right now.  There are a bunch of old veterans who could provide as stop gap measure for the season.

Brown, Peters, Tretter, Fischer, Massie, Shell, Crosby....and then always trade options and camp casualties. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

18 million before taxes isn't generational wealth.  Many of these players will be broke by 40.

If they're broke by 40 it's because of bad decisions.  Invested properly and you should never run out.  Hell, if after taxes, you put it all under your mattress, you could spend what, 250K a year for 50 years before you ran out.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

How's everyone feeling about not drafting Icky now ???  That's not to say I didn't like our draft.... Let's hope Mitchell turns out to be something.

Pretty good actually.  I know there is a lot of hub bub, finger pointing and the such in this thread....

But it happened fairly early in TC instead of game 1 and there will be options in a few weeks that we can actually take advantage of our wrire position to address. 

Plus if I remember right,  JD signed Moses during TC, LDT during the season so JD seems to rebound well enough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

Yeah gotta feel for Becton too. After all the fat lazy talk it sounded like he was doing everything right up until the injury. By the sounds of it his body just wasn't built for the NFL. He had a healthy career in college no?

If he actually rehabbed instead of gamed, he probably would’ve been fine.

Both the Jets and his doctors thought surgery wasn’t needed.

Instead he showed up at 400 pounds then crash dieted the last month.  

His season ended in January mid GTA stream.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

This is it right here. And it's what I've been saying. 

Last year was not a 5-8 week injury. The medical staff got it wrong. Just reading what Dr Chao is saying about this injury from his article here sounds like this could have been prevented with surgery to realign his kneecap.

https://sicscore.com/nfl/updates/mekhi-becton-out-for-season-with-right-knee-injury

Surgery to realign his kneecap was likely an option last season, but the Jets and Becton elected to rehab the injury.

A0C6CB4B-DF42-4372-BF77-4687F39EF77E.thumb.jpeg.71230100cd0e2d6f6af3197480af08f4.jpeg4B8CF48A-37F8-4330-9AD6-DD3D0D831F83.thumb.jpeg.464a85978cb59507273ed4838f192630.jpeg36B9B01E-B3BB-4B03-972C-EBCBC45B190E.thumb.jpeg.6d3ac21cd7c2f920f9bae8a6066f58c8.jpegE149A9E6-B7F8-49F2-ADBE-9361BF39BF56.thumb.jpeg.82a9d140730b314cec1b37e1dc08b1e9.jpegE4E02B6D-42E3-4143-903E-E9806B46FF5B.thumb.jpeg.9754b3b0402863bd98d1c3cf3c5cd7bc.jpeg

Let’s stop using Dr. Chao, yeah?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, we are talking about Mims and Becton.  They're the actors.  Who's supporting them isn't really relevant... Just what they do.

The NFL puts in place a 'no questions asked' car service to mitigate drunk driving, and yet, every year there's a handful of DUIs.

Some people aren't going to do right/better themselves regardless of the systems in place to support them.

Ok, and?  I think we can all agree it's easier/better to be an NFL player than in prison.  Both at present and for future prospects.

well in your initial argument it seemed you were using this as proof why rehabilitation or motivation does not work completely forgetting the fact that the reason it does not work is because they usually have nobody in their corner nor any hope when released....poor analogy to a millionaire football player if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I feel fine, thank you for asking.

Sauce is gonna be legit IMO. If we had drafted Kyle Hamilton instead i'd be pretty pissed but we didn't. 

We knew this team had a bunch of holes across the board. Not everything was going to get fixed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Still thrilled they passed on him. Absolutely delighted. Sauce has the potential to be a star and genuine difference maker. Too many people here focus on the OL like it’s the only thing that matters. There’s plenty of hindsight to go around here, but if I were to play that game, it would center more on bringing in capable vet backups. The Jets don’t need the #4 pick at OT, they need a replacement level RT. Should they have taken care of that already? Probably, but they didn’t. It’s still a position they should be able to fix. 

I get it, not saying we should have passed on Sauce...

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

If they're broke by 40 it's because of bad decisions.  Invested properly and you should never run out.  Hell, if after taxes, you put it all under your mattress, you could spend what, 250K a year for 50 years before you ran out.

Do you have any idea what the weekly grocery bills for the Becton household is going to be over 50 years.  

• Haha 3