Merged Becton Injury Thread

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

As with any disaster, there are multiple contributing factors-

1. Becton being too big to hold up in the NFL. 

2. JD taking him anyway.

3.  Becton not doing a good enough job staying in shape after he was picked. 

4.  JD passing on All Pro Wirfs, the perfect RT. 

5. The Jets bumbling medical staff who should be replaced now.  Given his size his knee should have operated on last year, particularly after it did not heal as initial forecast  

6.  Becton opening his mouth and bringing attention to himself and his flaws. 

JD has scored bonus picks for players he was able to unload.  It’s time now for him to return the favor and give up picks to put a decent OL in front of ZW so we can see what we got and not end up with another Darnold.   That is the top priority.   We don’t need guys like Rankins, Zuniga, Mims or Davis, Bryce Hall, etc if we can convert them to OT this year.  

I think now is about time we see if Saleh can put his money where his mouth is.  He portrays himself as coach that can get to the promise land.  Make chicken salad out of chicken left overs etc.. etc.. etc..

NFL teams should not need a 1st round pick at every position.  Do your ******* job and figure it out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I think it's also important to keep in mind this was the covid year so no combine and no in-person visits. Could be why the 2020 draft looks so different from our last 2.

They had the combine in 2020. Which is why he shut up boards. He also failed a drug test which could have been PED’s. Don’t think it was ever revealed what it was

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

How's everyone feeling about not drafting Icky now ???  That's not to say I didn't like our draft.... Let's hope Mitchell turns out to be something.

yeah, i'm sure people here would have been fine with the #4 pick in the draft struggling like icky is at panthers' camp...

Carolina Panthers: While quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold were on display during Saturday's major scrimmage, so was rookie left tackle Ikem Ekwonu. Second-year player Brady Christensen opened at left tackle as he has all training camp, but Ekwonu got more reps there than usual in a session that was as game-like as the staff could make it. Bottom line: There's still a reason Ekwonu is far from winning the position. "He's got a long way to go,'' coach Matt Rhule said for the second straight day. "He gave up a huge sack there at the end. I'm not super concerned with the run-blocking, it's the pass protection he [needs to] continue to develop. He's right where he's supposed to be, but that's not like a receiver where you can have three good plays and then a drop. A drop at left tackle means the quarterback gets hit.'' -- David Newton

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

A0C6CB4B-DF42-4372-BF77-4687F39EF77E.thumb.jpeg.71230100cd0e2d6f6af3197480af08f4.jpeg4B8CF48A-37F8-4330-9AD6-DD3D0D831F83.thumb.jpeg.464a85978cb59507273ed4838f192630.jpeg36B9B01E-B3BB-4B03-972C-EBCBC45B190E.thumb.jpeg.6d3ac21cd7c2f920f9bae8a6066f58c8.jpegE149A9E6-B7F8-49F2-ADBE-9361BF39BF56.thumb.jpeg.82a9d140730b314cec1b37e1dc08b1e9.jpegE4E02B6D-42E3-4143-903E-E9806B46FF5B.thumb.jpeg.9754b3b0402863bd98d1c3cf3c5cd7bc.jpeg

Let’s stop using Dr. Chao, yeah?

Or no. If the point of your post is that a Doctor who has in the past misdiagnosed or prescribed treatment that is detrimental shouldn't be allowed an opinion then you better not go to a doctor. Because every doctor has gotten things wrong. Even James Andrews is facing a lawsuit and was involved in the RG3 debacle. 

Not to mention other reports are supporting what Chao has said. 

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it's also important to keep in mind this was the covid year so no combine and no in-person visits. Could be why the 2020 draft looks so different from our last 2.

Fair, but it seems like much of Becton's issues were things the scouts had to have been able to uncover.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

A lot of people were bizarrely delighted on passing on a tackle high in the draft. I never understood how anyone could have the slightest confidence in Becton, whether it’s his fault or not.

It’s been pretty ominous since going down early last year after being roasted in camp. I love Sauce as a player and think he’ll be great but you got to wonder if there isn’t some serious regret about leaving Zach exposed to this guy being pencilled in as a starter. It was going to blow up eventually.

Don't understand how some fans did seem that they were "bizarrely delighted on passing on a tackle high in the draft" when it was obvious to many fans Becton couldn't be counted on and we needed a FLT and one was sitting there at #4.

FYI - New Rule Emphasis this season might affect CB's - further devaluing the position.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-referees-to-focus-on-illegal-contact-fouls-in-2022-season-145111716.html

NFL tells referees to focus on illegal contact fouls in 2022 season.

The NFL has issued officiating instructions to referees for the upcoming season: focus on illegal contact fouls.

An illegal contact foul occurs when a defensive player initiates contact with a receiver more than five yards down the field while the quarterback is still in the pocket. The penalty is five yards and an automatic first down.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Or no. If the point of your post is that a Doctor who has in the past misdiagnosed or prescribed treatment that is detrimental shouldn't be allowed an opinion then you better not go to a doctor. Because every doctor has gotten things wrong. Even James Andrews is facing a lawsuit and was involved in the RG3 debacle. 

Not to mention other reports are supporting what Chao has said. 

Chao is a horrible doctor who, quite honestly, shouldn’t have a medical license anymore, but you go ahead and keep posting him because it supports your narrative.

Furthermore, Chao’s diagnosis on his website, if Connor Hughes is to be believed, is wrong.  It’s not f*cking arthritis; it’s much worse than that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if it was in training camp but didn't the Bengals lose their starting OT last year?  The parallels between these teams are startling!

maybe.  sure losing becton isn't good but at the same time they have better players at the other positions (better in that they have all played together for a season) and the right tackle position is the lesser of the two.  douglas will find someone unless a current team member steps up.

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even if becton is diagnosed with a sprain of some ligament that typically takes a month to heal, why would the jets believe that timetable anyway?  

I'm pretty sure he's done for the season.  

I imagine he'll have a shot again next year - but will come in as a back-up.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There are a lot worse things that could happen to the Jets than suffering an injury and signing an OT who made the pro-bowl last year

After getting burned by Kalil, I'm sure JD is a bit hesitant to jump in the deep end with these former great old linemen...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Chao is a horrible doctor who, quite honestly, shouldn’t have a medical license anymore, but you go ahead and keep posting him because it supports your narrative.

Furthermore, Chao’s diagnosis on his website, if Connor Hughes is to be believed, is wrong.  It’s not f*cking arthritis; it’s much worse than that.

He changed that after more information came out. Just to be fair

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They had the combine in 2020. Which is why he shut up boards. He also failed a drug test which could have been PED’s. Don’t think it was ever revealed what it was

Lets look at the last 12 years of NY Jets 1st rounders….. pretty much comprised of poor selections, busts, bad fit etc.  NONE to 2020 are on the team unless we include Becton.   We used to suck at 2nd round but now we have busted more at 1st than 2nd .  You cant suck this bad without poor GM.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Don't understand how some fans did seem that they were "bizarrely delighted on passing on a tackle high in the draft" when it was obvious to many fans Becton couldn't be counted on and we needed a FLT and one was sitting there at #4.

FYI - New Rule Emphasis this season might affect CB's - further devaluing the position.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-referees-to-focus-on-illegal-contact-fouls-in-2022-season-145111716.html

The NFL has issued officiating instructions to referees for the upcoming season: focus on illegal contact fouls.

An illegal contact foul occurs when a defensive player initiates contact with a receiver more than five yards down the field while the quarterback is still in the pocket. The penalty is five yards and an automatic first down.

Because the Jets needed a lot of other things too.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you need your Tackles to be first round picks.  Duane Brown will be fine and give the Jets plenty of time to figure out what to do next year.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean you do the same sh*t to support your narrative.

He didn't say it was arthritis. He said that he  likely had arthritis as a by-product of last years injury but that was not the cause of the injury. He literally says "Becton's kneecap jumped out of its groove, causing the chip fracture in the process." Which is completely in line with whats reported. 

• Upvote 1

Since JD was too ignorant and/or stubborn to trade Becton, instead relying on him to play one of the most important positions on the field, protecting our young QB, this injury happening when it did is the best thing that could’ve happened for the Jets. Now he is forced to make other plans. Should’ve make them 8 months ago but at least the season hasn’t started yet.

Now let’s hope he trades Mims and flushes that turd of a draft from 2020. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Going OL three years in a row would’ve been a stupid use of first round picks. Yes, they shoulda coulda done more at OT, but the #4 pick was not the asset to use there. Sauce will wind up being more of a difference maker. I think back to Rex’s runs. Brick and Revis were major components of that team but if I had to replace one of them with just a competent starter, it would easily be Brick. And it’s not like Ekwonu is tearing it up with the Panthers, either. They still have him running with their second team. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even if becton is diagnosed with a sprain of some ligament that typically takes a month to heal, why would the jets believe that timetable anyway?  

He has a broken kneecap why do people keep putting out if it turns out better.

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Because with or without Becton, this team lacked talent all over the place, and many were happy to add talent elsewhere?

I'm not saying they weren't happy with the picks - But specifically and before the draft there were people acting like avoiding a tackle was a must citing the fact that we had two starters in place.

I think anyone who expected Becton to do anything beyond eating well this season was living in a dream world. Tackle should have been one of the primary needs in the draft or free agency. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Not put he's bullsh*t positive spin on something that's tangible real and he doesn't know sh*t about.   You know tell the truth.  I'm not a doctor and he's getting an MRI.  I'll let you know when I know. 

Positive Vibes On;y - Just like the tee-shirt JD wore when interviewed on Boomer and Gio this morning.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Going OL three years in a row would’ve been a stupid use of first round picks. Yes, they shoulda coulda done more at OT, but the #4 pick was not the asset to use there. Sauce will wind up being more of a difference maker. I think back to Rex’s runs. Brick and Revis were major components of that team but if I had to replace one of them with just a competent starter, it would easily be Brick. And it’s not like Ekwonu is tearing it up with the Panthers, either. They still have him running with their second team. 

I love the Sauce and Wilson picks.  There's an argument to be made that the team didn't need to make a trade to get Johnson and could have used that capital to add another tackle. 

11 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Maybe the positive emotions towards the competent GM expand beyond the concerns of a single position and look at the team as a whole and where the talent is now versus when he first took over.

Maybe the positives also come with how it seems that he has improved as GM as time went on and the mistakes are getting minimized each year going forward.

Maybe the negative nit picking of every questionable move gets annoying here and the posters that love to do victory laps every time they are 'proven right' because they had concerns that THE WHOLE FAN BASE HAD... is ridiculous...

Nobody here was over enthusiastic on Becton's offseason..... Some of us though chose to be positive about the situation and got ridiculed about it on every post. Now with this injury all the JD, Becton, Saleh hatred gets piled on and the negative nancys all claim victory on how they were right that Becton was a bust.

I wanted Wirfs too... I chose to be optimistic about this slob... turns out that he failed the effort test. Move on ... JD will sign some sign post and they will still be ok...

To ignore the talent improvement on the team overall versus where they were left with Mikey Mac is a huge miscalculation and misdirected  anger towards a team that is significantly better now then 3 years ago.

I agree...to evaluate JD based on the Becton pick and whatever other decisions that may be questionable doesn't tip the scales into negative Mac territory.  Like he's someone to move on from. 

This roster is loaded.  With some formidable units.  But with now a noticeable Achilles heal in the OT position.  

And the decision not to use either the 4th or 10th pick on a OT.  Had to be a collective one that involved the medical staff, as well as, Saleh-CS.  It wasn't JD overruling everyone that was clamoring for him to move on from Becton and draft a Neal-Ekwonu-Cross-Etc.  Jets went developmental with Mitchell in the 4th round.  Everyone was happy with the draft class they took in.  Including me and most Jets fans. 

This OT situation has certainly deflated my optimism some for sure.   But it's football.  Other teams I'm sure are having similar negative impact situations...that they have to grapple with and solve.  As all teams go through this TC-preseason process.   

JD-Saleh-CS-Med Staff will have to learn from this. Jets Brain-Trust has to now look at their options...a Duane Brown, Eric Fisher, a Daryl Williams, etc.  Or a trade.  And fix it as best they can.

Again...it's football...sh!!t happens...it stinks!    

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Being delighted passing on an OT at 4 and still wanting an OT signed/drafted can both happen. No reason to spend the #4 pick on a position of strength, let alone drafting a player in Ickey who was ripped for being a bad pass blocking OT.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I love the Sauce and Wilson picks.  There's an argument to be made that the team didn't need to make a trade to get Johnson and could have used that capital to add another tackle. 

It's a hindsight argument that would have added to a position of strength while removing a player from a position of weakness.

Even with hindsight, I think passing on OT early was the right move. Everyone still wanted backup OT, which we drafted and have clearly been interviewing for. We needed to spread resources around and allow Fant to play out his deal and franchise/extend him and allow Becton the chance to be THE GUY.

Bottom line, the Becton selection was a high upside gamble that didn't work out. Had we known Fant was going to be a starting LT then the selection would have been Wirfs.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's a hindsight argument that would have added to a position of strength while removing a player from a position of weakness.

Even with hindsight, I think passing on OT early was the right move. Everyone still wanted backup OT, which we drafted and have clearly been interviewing for. We needed to spread resources around and allow Fant to play out his deal and franchise/extend him and allow Becton the chance to be THE GUY.

Bottom line, the Becton selection was a high upside gamble that didn't work out. Had we known Fant was going to be a starting LT then the selection would have been Wirfs.

It wasn't hindsight that Becton and Fant were coming off injury.  That Becton's injury that was 4 to 6 weeks turned into essentially a full year before he could pass a physical.  

I wouldn't be so sure that Fant is going to be a mortal lock to start 16 games at LT this year.  

I wasn't advocating using one of our 2 1's.  I think using draft capital on a player that was falling for a reason over need might have been a poor choice.  TBD...

• Upvote 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10044786-jets-rumors-mekhi-becton-feared-to-be-out-for-2022-season-with-knee-injury

So yeah .... I'm out on him altogether. 

I've be pretty blaise and optimistic about him but he didn't take his career seriously. Hate to say it but two years of injury in a row it's over. Highway 77 is closed. 

Dude should have approached rehab and diet professionally. 

• Upvote 3