Merged Becton Injury Thread

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m more than happy to agree that they should’ve done more at OT. Just saying that, yes, I was adamant then and haven’t changed my opinion that the Jets should not’ve used the #4 pick on an OT, and nothing’s happened so far to change my mind on that front. I don’t like to dwell on things that didn’t happen, though, I’d rather focus on what they’re going to do now. 

I thought Gardner was a luxury pick.  CBs are just not that important in today's NFL.  If the Jets knew Becton was such a question mark, the #4 pick should have been used on Ekwonu.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Because with or without Becton, this team lacked talent all over the place, and many were happy to add talent elsewhere?

Hopefully you don't get to pick in the top 5 of the first round but when you do and you need the second most important position - LT - and when one falls to you - you grab him.

JD knew LT was needed and was a very important position. He picked Becton with his first pick, which turned out to be a mistake - OK - it happens. But don't make it worse by ignoring your mistake and passing on a legit FLT prospect. 

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I thought Gardner was a luxury pick.  CBs are just not that important in today's NFL.  If the Jets knew Becton was such a question mark, the #4 pick should have been used on Ekwonu.  

ekwonu is right now a guard who is struggling with pass protection in camp and is behind brady christiansen on the depth chart at LT

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Hopefully you don't get to pick in the top 5 of the first round but when you do and you need the second most important position - LT - and when one falls to you - you grab him.

JD knew LT was needed and was a very important position. He picked Becton with his first pick, which turned out to be a mistake - OK - it happens. But don't make it worse by ignoring your mistake and passing on a legit FLT prospect. 

JDs entire 2020 draft is a bust. Defend it all you want.  Becton was a reach based on a lot of experts.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

But, they have an LT in Fant. Going into the draft, they had two OTs. LT was not a need.

And to be clear, no OTs fell to them. They were taken that high because of how weak the top of the draft class was. I believe it was Blewitt who was reviewing this year's crop of OTs and mentioned that, compared to the 2020 class of OTs, none of them would have been a top 10 pick. He believes they would have been closer to the 3rd / 4th best OTs in the 2020 class. These guys would have been mid to late round picks in most other draft classes.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I thought Gardner was a luxury pick.  CBs are just not that important in today's NFL.  

How is CB a luxury pick? QBs tore the D apart last year. That was both a function of lack of pass rush and guys being open time and again (not sure how many 3 and + yard situations had guys wide open, but it was a lot). They addressed through FA, getting guys back from injury and through the draft.

If the Jets knew Becton was such a question mark

Who says the Jets knew Becton was a question mark? He was 'recovered' from his injury and working out with his coach.

Ekwonu was not graded all that favorably as a prospect, and struggles in pass pro... That's not what you want to bring in at the #4 pick. It was a weak draft class (figures, when the Jets have two top 10 picks, the talent in the draft is sub-par), and that's why he was so high. Zack Wilson is a bigger question mark than Ekwonu. Should they have drafted Pickett at #4? QB is so much more important than OT.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Falling as per who? The draft pundits two weeks before the draft? Their job is not so much evaluating talent as it is to try and match a player to a team. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it isn't. Taking or not taking a player based on whether he is 'falling' is irrelevant. And saying pass rush hasn't been a need for this team is a bit bewildering...

JJ is a bit limited as a pass rusher, and wasn't a top 10 pick (though it was argued on this board by some that he should be taken at 4 as he wouldn't last till 10). He was taken late in the 1st. That's where said pundits expected him to go before the senior bowl. For some reason, people had him then sky rocket in their mock drafts (a bit like Kyle Hamilton). From the reports I've been listening to (Blewitt, PLAJ, etc), sounds like he'll be a 6-8 sack a season guy. If he gets to 6, that would tie the team lead. I think he was a good addition, but time will tell.

Assuming that Becton would be out for the season before the season starts, while possible, was not all that plausible. It happened. You don't draft a Tackle in the first round 'in case' someone is injured. You go developmental if you believe you already have two starters (which, at the time, they believed). After the first round, there was no one expected to make an immediate impact (no OTs drafted in the second, and OTs in the 3rd were graded as 'will eventually be a starter'). Max Mitchell is graded very close to Petit-Frere and Rhyan, a bit below Raimann (I'm using this for reference, take it for what it's worth https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/1/4/2022).

I get what you were saying, but I have to agree, all of this is hindsight. There were no good options at the time.

• If you burn a 1st on a T, and Becton doesn't get hurt, the team 'wasted' a pick, and you have not made the team better.
  • If you decide to move on from Becton, the dead cap was close to 11M $, which would have been difficult to swallow.
  • Using 'higher' draft capital on an OT would not have netted a much better result (as per NFL prospect grading).

The most reasonable option was a vet back-up that can start, and they've been exploring that option.

According to Douglas the Jets called every team after 15 to get Johnson.   He was clearly failing since we had him rated at 15 and we got him at 26.  

We traded back up to the 1st to get him.  I wasn't advocating using another 1 on a OT.  We traded 3 picks to move up to get Johnson.  We could have taken a tackle with 1 of our 2nd round picks and still would have been in position to trade up for the RB.  

You can make the same argument for Lawson.  Assuming Lawson won't miss a majority of the season Johnson isn't relevant.  Becton and Fant were coming off injury.  Becton couldn't pass a physical until TC started.  It was very plausable on draft day that Becton would miss a majority of the season.  

37 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Not true.  It's a passing league.

Corners are kind of important. 

Belichick paid Gilmore big money (at the time) and adds like 100 corners every offseason.  Rams dealt 2 ones for Jalen Ramsey and then paid him.

Most teams have maybe 1 legit "WR1" or none at all.  If you can neutralize the opposing team's #1 option 1v1, it frees up the rest of your defense and makes it easier on your DC.

And obviously, the longer you can cover guys, the more time you give your defensive front to get home.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lith said:

When you get past all of the drama surrounding Becton - he is a 23-year old kid who is about to be sidelined for the second season in a three year career.  I know there is not a lot of sympathy for him around here, he has become the guy much of JN loves to hate, but I feel bad for the kid.

It'll be one of two things for him now.  He either truly commits to dropping serious weight, getting in top shape and come back next season around 330-340 (which is plenty if done right) or he's out of the NFL.  It sucks for him now but there is still a chance. Jets obviously can't plan around him for next season. It's a bonus if he commits but they still can't view him other than potential depth.

He didn't take losing weight and getting in great shape seriously.   That can't be disputed.  He came into mini-camp weighing 395+  Yes, he finally started to take it serious for the 6 weeks leading up to TC but 6 weeks isn't enough for someone his size to accomplish all that was needed.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Morgan Moses wanted to start.  He wasn't getting that opportunity here without an injury.  No amount of money will replace the desire of a professional athlete to play when he wants to play.  Very few professional athletes - or any athlete - wants to watch other people play in his or her place.  I don't understand why that is so hard to understand.  Moses didn't sign elsewhere because JD didn't want him.  The Jets were stating publicly and I'm sure privately that Fant and Becton were the starting tackles back in March.  That was the plan.  Moses did not want to be a back up again. He signed a one year prove it deal last year so he could get the opportunity he got with Baltimore.  Let it go.
He'd be starting for us right now Becton and his injury situation should have been backing up.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1

It'll be one of two things for him now.  He either truly commits to dropping serious weight, getting in top shape and come back next season around 330-340 (which is plenty if done right) or he's out of the NFL.  It sucks for him now but there is still a chance. Jets obviously can't plan around him for next season. It's a bonus if he commits but they still can't view him other than potential depth.
He didn't take losing weight and getting in great shape seriously.   That can't be disputed.  He came into TC weighing 395+  Yes, he finally started to take it serious for the 6 weeks leading up to TC but 6 weeks isn't enough for someone his size to accomplish all that was needed.   

True. At least we know now that his ceiling for us is a swing tackle at best moving forward. Can not be relied upon to do anything for this team moving forward and that’s only IF he focuses on rehab and losing that weight. Which is a BIG IF

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

55 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Retracted. Heard Ekonwu is struggling.  The Jets should have brought in a veteran OT --or two.  Signing Brown is a must.  Then again, Moses was not brought in right away from what I remember. Wasn't he signed during training camp?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He didn't take losing weight and getting in great shape seriously.   That can't be disputed.  He came into TC weighing 395+  Yes, he finally started to take it serious for the 6 weeks leading up to TC but 6 weeks isn't enough for someone his size to accomplish all that was needed.   

I was fully against saying this before yesterday, but now I will. He's done.  A player does not recover from two serious knee injuries to the same knee.  He will never play at a high level in the NFL, if he plays at all.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Retracted. Heard Ekonwu is struggling.  The Jets should have brought in a veteran OT --or two.  Signing Brown is a must.  Then again, Moses was not brought in right away from what I remember. Wasn't he signed during training camp?

So we should have drafted Ekonwu instead of Sauce, but then you found out Ekonwu isn’t playing well, so nevermind, the correct move was to actually bring in vet OTs?

• Haha 2

According to Douglas the Jets called every team after 15 to get Johnson.   He was clearly failing since we had him rated at 15 and we got him at 26.  

And again, he was seen as a mid-20s prospect a month before the senior bowl. That's where he landed. The pre-draft hype pushed him up on some mock's.

It's no surprise that other teams had other players higher up on their draft boards than JJ. More than that, the fact that teams were not looking to trade meant that JD was paying a premium to move up.

We traded back up to the 1st to get him.  I wasn't advocating using another 1 on a OT.  We traded 3 picks to move up to get Johnson.  We could have taken a tackle with 1 of our 2nd round picks and still would have been in position to trade up for the RB.  

And also covered in my first post. There were no tackles taken in the 2nd round. The next tackle taken was in the 3rd (Petit-Frere). If your strategy was to pass on a position of need (upgrade on DL) to take a 3rd round prospect in the 2nd round in case a player gets hurt, there's really not much to discuss. And again, when comparing the OTs taken in the 3rd / 4th round, they are all very similarly graded. There was no benefit to drafting an OT in the second round (from a talent perspective). An argument could be made to take an OT in the 3rd round, but there was no drop off in talent between rounds 3 and 4.

You can make the same argument for Lawson.  Assuming Lawson won't miss a majority of the season Johnson isn't relevant.  Becton and Fant were coming off injury.  Becton couldn't pass a physical until TC started.  It was very plausable on draft day that Becton would miss a majority of the season.  

I'm not sure what you're saying about Lawson. Is this in reference to drafting JJ? My expectation is that JJ will be better than a lot of the DEs we have now. The DL would be Lawson, JFM, QW and JJ. Lawson may go down again, but I'm not expecting him to miss the season. You don't draft JJ because Lawson may get hurt, you draft him because he improves your overall roster. Drafting an OT wouldn't have moved the needle, drafting a better DE does.

As for Becton, they were saying repeatedly that they were in communications with Becton's coach and that things were looking good. He sustained a different injury (didn't re-aggravate the existing issue) as per the Jets (though at this point, they may change their minds in an hour). He came to TC in good shape, worked hard (again, as per the sound bites). I was fully expecting him to be able to play 10-15 games this season. Not going to be the case, and his career is prolly done at this point. They'll need a long term solution. Maybe that's Brown this year and Max Mitchell on the right side next year? Maybe it's someone doesn't fit their team's 'system'. Maybe there's a trade. We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Players that go on IR are just resting until 2023. See you soon Mekhi! 

Every decision that the Jets has made since Joe Douglas has arrived been flawless. The decision to draft Becton was well intentioned and we all know that the road to the super bowl is paved with good intentions.

The Jets are an amazingly well run organization, everyone says so. Like how they lowballed natural right tackle Riley Reiff? Chef's kiss 

Drafting a premium cornerback helps Zach and breece hall by getting them the ball back more. It's simple football logic. 

Duh, silly. 

I don't understand why people are so sad about this injury. Becton will report at 330 next year and resume his hall of fame career. 

Chuma Edoga is going to be a 20 year starter once George Fant retires 

They are the best team in the AFC and handsome too. 

P.V.O. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4