Jump to content

Merged Becton Injury Thread


johnnyjet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I have a bigger problem with the situation.  I think even if becton played this year, he wouldn’t be that good.  I think he has sloooooow feet and would get burned even at RT.  We started to see it in training camp last year.  I think that’s part of the reason they moved him to RT - he couldn’t even beat out fant.  And if they really thought becton could eventually be the LT long term, they would not have moved him to RT.  We can talk all day and night about his weight, attitude and injuries.  But i think he would have been a liability at Rt in the passing game.  When saleh and his staff came here and changed the offense, it all but sealed the fates of mims and becton.  Neither is a good fit in this offense.  That’s why they moved becton to RT, so he’d be easier to replace than the LT, and are grooming a more athletic max mitchell to hopefully take over sooner than later.

All this said, their situation now is worse than if becton plays.  If there are no other injuries, they have 1 spot to fill, and at least they have real TEs this year to help out.  

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I’ve thought all along that there was a 25% chance that Becton makes it back onto the field at all, but only a 2% chance he makes it back to playing at an elite level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I’ve thought all along that there was a 25% chance that Becton makes it back onto the field at all, but only a 2% chance he makes it back to playing at an elite level. 

I think douglas has improved in his short tenure as a gm, but he really messed up that first draft, obviously.  And we’ve seen how gms are hesitant to admit it.  But he signed lake and drafted mitchell in the 4th round, which is a reasonable round to find a developmental tackle.  Clearly they understood the need to have plan B (and perhaps C if that fails) if there’s a problem.  But i thought becton was going to get wilson killed, and i don’t think he did anything in these few practices to prove otherwise.  It sucks he’s hurt, for various reasons.  But i think he was destined to be a better version of Brandon shell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Yeah it’s kind of funny how tragic the media is making this out to be when they nitpicked every single missed block or in ciminis case, times he breathed heavier than usual.  Bit now that he’s out, we lost the next coming of Anthony Munoz 

You know, I didn’t think of that, but you’re spot on. Maybe it’s because they’ve seen how terrible McDermott and Edoga are?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

You know, I didn’t think of that, but you’re spot on. Maybe it’s because they’ve seen how terrible McDermott and Edoga are?   

Jet media is accustomed to complaining but most positions are improved including the qb.  So where are they going to focus?  On the big OL who can’t catch his breath.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know, I didn’t think of that, but you’re spot on. Maybe it’s because they’ve seen how terrible McDermott and Edoga are?   

Yeah but it’s only one practice.  I think it’s a blessing this happened so early.  We will have time to fill this position, which is not as premium as LT l, and get whoever wins or time to acclimate.  In some ways this is a relief just to move in from all the becton fan and media nonsense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know, I didn’t think of that, but you’re spot on. Maybe it’s because they’ve seen how terrible McDermott and Edoga are?   

Because now it’s about covering for feared-for failure.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BigGreenFan said:

At least half of Jets fans felt Becton wasn't any good.  He got run over last year by Lawson.  He got run over this year by some 3rd string DE.  He's fat.  He's lazy.  He's not motivated.  He should be cut, etc., etc.

Yet, somehow, now that he's gone, many of those same fans are saying this is a catastrophe and the season has been ruined.

I liked Becton.  Felt he had great potential.  But, I can't get too upset about losing out on someone with "potential" and I had my doubts -- as many others did -- that he would survive the entire season without getting hurt anyway.  So, this is not exactly a shock.

The Jets did NOT lose an all-pro tackle.  And I'm betting the difference between Becton and whoever replaces him will be minimal.  

What a solid post…….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I should clarify: this regime is gonna run out of excuses that the fans are willing to play along with. 

You have been a Jets fan for 40 plus years. You know the well never runs dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigGreenFan said:

At least half of Jets fans felt Becton wasn't any good.  He got run over last year by Lawson.  He got run over this year by some 3rd string DE.  He's fat.  He's lazy.  He's not motivated.  He should be cut, etc., etc.

Yet, somehow, now that he's gone, many of those same fans are saying this is a catastrophe and the season has been ruined.

I liked Becton.  Felt he had great potential.  But, I can't get too upset about losing out on someone with "potential" and I had my doubts -- as many others did -- that he would survive the entire season without getting hurt anyway.  So, this is not exactly a shock.

The Jets did NOT lose an all-pro tackle.  And I'm betting the difference between Becton and whoever replaces him will be minimal.  

Very good points here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Becton opts not to do the rehab work to the point that they can’t even roster him next season, I’d imagine they’d come to an injury settlement like they did with Quincy Enunwa and send him on his way.

Injury settlement is a definite possibility.

Depends on how Quincy is doing in his new role with Eric Allen. They might want a 3rd wheel and Big Man Becton can create content. His social media game is strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Injury settlement is a definite possibility.

Depends on how Quincy is doing in his new role with Eric Allen. They might want a 3rd wheel and Big Man Becton can create content. His social media game is strong.

I don’t remember Enunwa getting an injury settlement. I thought he just refused to retire until his guaranteed money dried up. It’s possible that Becton may never play another down in the NFL. The injury, it seems, was much worse than was ever reported, but I’d expect him to collect every penny of his fully guaranteed contract. There’s only one year left after this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t remember Enunwa getting an injury settlement. I thought he just refused to retire until his guaranteed money dried up. It’s possible that Becton may never play another down in the NFL. The injury, it seems, was much worse than was ever reported, but I’d expect him to collect every penny of his fully guaranteed contract. There’s only one year left after this one. 

OT

I also remember lots of stories about how Enunwa was pissed at the Jets and was mistreated by JD in JD's first year...yet...he's now back with the organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What's up with Daryl Williams?  I believe he's still a FA and he played both RT and RG for the Bills, which would be a good fit here if he's still at least an average-level player.

Didn't cheatin bill sign him a few weeks ago? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Big Ticket had to go down again, better now when Jets have another month until Baltimore.

Someone mentioned if the Jets sign Brown, it'll be an upgrade over Mekhi.

Jets must put on their Apollo 13, Gene Kranz/Ed Harris cap:

NASA Director : This could be the worst disaster NASA's ever experienced.

Gene Kranz : With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BigGreenFan said:

At least half of Jets fans felt Becton wasn't any good.  He got run over last year by Lawson.  He got run over this year by some 3rd string DE.  He's fat.  He's lazy.  He's not motivated.  He should be cut, etc., etc.

Yet, somehow, now that he's gone, many of those same fans are saying this is a catastrophe and the season has been ruined.

I liked Becton.  Felt he had great potential.  But, I can't get too upset about losing out on someone with "potential" and I had my doubts -- as many others did -- that he would survive the entire season without getting hurt anyway.  So, this is not exactly a shock.

The Jets did NOT lose an all-pro tackle.  And I'm betting the difference between Becton and whoever replaces him will be minimal.  

It's a dissaster because this team needs to have effective drafts that add solid talent across the board.  When your first round pick of your first draft can't play it's a dissaster.  

One of the most boring drafts the Jets ever had was in 2006.   There were plenty of high ceiling guys in that draft.  We took Ferguson with our first round pick.  Boring pick.  Started 160 games in a 10 year career.   People complained that he wasn't great.  Couldn't run block.   We followed that pick up with Mangold.  Boring pick.  

It's not Becton being gone.  It's haveing a key draft for a bad team go for high ceiling guys over boring guys who solidify positions at a high level for years.  

Were also trying to develop a high ceiling QB who needs time to process at this level.  Not having solid Tackles in front of him is problamatic. 

Becton himself isn't the dissaster.  Our GM not having two solid tackles in front of Zach with Preseason starting might be a dissaster.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • As we have discussed before, GMs are torn between picking the flawed player with physical skills that could put them in the HoF, as opposed to taking players they know will be effective.
    • Becton was just bad judgment all around.  JD signed Fant who could play LT.  He did not need to reach for a player with size issues and long arms to play LT, when he could have taken Wirfs.  The Draftniks were also projecting Wirfs at G-a good GM should know that he could be an All Pro T.
    • Zach Wilson was a similar reach but I think if he stays the course he will be worth it.   QBs cost big money.  If he helps install the MF system for 4 years and then moves on and is replaced with Kirk Cousins, that is fine.  The issue will be if we end up paying him Kyler Murray money to be imperfect.
    • It does seem like JD got it right with his draft this year.  Like Gettleman taking Barkley, the teams before the Jets took players with elite physicals but not great play per se.  Sauce and Wilson will contribute.  JJ2 will be decent and is a good use of a low first round pick.  But the trades for AVT and JJ2 used valuable 3rd picks that could have been used for more OL, like Brady Christensen.
  • The Jets do need more OL depth.  Becton was a gamble, but having OL6-8 be Feeney, Edoga and McDermott is not great.  Thank heavens he signed Herbig.
  • Although the trend has been higher-end RTs, many teams have used rookies, FAs, etc. at that spot and been successful.  Hopefully JD can find someone to fill that role.  He should consider use of a draft pick in a trade.  
  • Every team needs a good swing T.  For the Jets, the 2023 Swing T Plan A is Becton.  We should not be surprised by his weight in March.  Plan A LT should be a Fant extension for 2 guaranteed years.  Plan A RT should a FA or high draft pick that can move to LT when Fant moves on, or Mitchell.  Plan B swing T is Mitchell.  
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, varjet said:
  • As we have discussed before, GMs are torn between picking the flawed player with physical skills that could put them in the HoF, as opposed to taking players they know will be effective.
    • Becton was just bad judgment all around.  JD signed Fant who could play LT.  He did not need to reach for a player with size issues and long arms to play LT, when he could have taken Wirfs.  The Draftniks were also projecting Wirfs at G-a good GM should know that he could be an All Pro T.
    • Zach Wilson was a similar reach but I think if he stays the course he will be worth it.   QBs cost big money.  If he helps install the MF system for 4 years and then moves on and is replaced with Kirk Cousins, that is fine.  The issue will be if we end up paying him Kyler Murray money to be imperfect.
    • It does seem like JD got it right with his draft this year.  Like Gettleman taking Barkley, the teams before the Jets took players with elite physicals but not great play per se.  Sauce and Wilson will contribute.  JJ2 will be decent and is a good use of a low first round pick.  But the trades for AVT and JJ2 used valuable 3rd picks that could have been used for more OL, like Brady Christensen.
  • The Jets do need more OL depth.  Becton was a gamble, but having OL6-8 be Feeney, Edoga and McDermott is not great.  Thank heavens he signed Herbig.
  • Although the trend has been higher-end RTs, many teams have used rookies, FAs, etc. at that spot and been successful.  Hopefully JD can find someone to fill that role.  He should consider use of a draft pick in a trade. 
  • Every team needs a good swing T.  For the Jets, the 2023 Swing T Plan A is Becton.  We should not be surprised by his weight in March.  Plan A LT should be a Fant extension for 2 guaranteed years.  Plan A RT should a FA or high draft pick that can move to LT when Fant moves on, or Mitchell.  Plan B swing T is Mitchell.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • As we have discussed before, GMs are torn between picking the flawed player with physical skills that could put them in the HoF, as opposed to taking players they know will be effective.
    • Becton was just bad judgment all around.  JD signed Fant who could play LT.  He did not need to reach for a player with size issues and long arms to play LT, when he could have taken Wirfs.  The Draftniks were also projecting Wirfs at G-a good GM should know that he could be an All Pro T.
    • Zach Wilson was a similar reach but I think if he stays the course he will be worth it.   QBs cost big money.  If he helps install the MF system for 4 years and then moves on and is replaced with Kirk Cousins, that is fine.  The issue will be if we end up paying him Kyler Murray money to be imperfect.
    • It does seem like JD got it right with his draft this year.  Like Gettleman taking Barkley, the teams before the Jets took players with elite physicals but not great play per se.  Sauce and Wilson will contribute.  JJ2 will be decent and is a good use of a low first round pick.  But the trades for AVT and JJ2 used valuable 3rd picks that could have been used for more OL, like Brady Christensen.
  • The Jets do need more OL depth.  Becton was a gamble, but having OL6-8 be Feeney, Edoga and McDermott is not great.  Thank heavens he signed Herbig.
  • Although the trend has been higher-end RTs, many teams have used rookies, FAs, etc. at that spot and been successful.  Hopefully JD can find someone to fill that role.  He should consider use of a draft pick in a trade.  
  • Every team needs a good swing T.  For the Jets, the 2023 Swing T Plan A is Becton.  We should not be surprised by his weight in March.  Plan A LT should be a Fant extension for 2 guaranteed years.  Plan A RT should a FA or high draft pick that can move to LT when Fant moves on, or Mitchell.  Plan B swing T is Mitchell.  

Would love to hear Douglas off the record explaining Becton over Wirfs. I remember his pal Dan Jermiah was all in on Becton's late rise. It never made a ton of sense. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t remember Enunwa getting an injury settlement. I thought he just refused to retire until his guaranteed money dried up. It’s possible that Becton may never play another down in the NFL. The injury, it seems, was much worse than was ever reported, but I’d expect him to collect every penny of his fully guaranteed contract. There’s only one year left after this one. 

Yeah that was some newb that said that. I just wanted to make a joke about Quincy working for the team now.  :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing to keep in perspective with Becton is that he did show great promise in his first season.  That distinguishes him from guys who were just total busts.  Becton had the ability.  He didn't have the proper motivation though.  The idea that this was supposed to be his big comeback year where he'd disprove all the doubters, yet he came into camp overweight says a lot.

Then, after getting hurt, he went back on social media and continued to talk shows that he didn't learn anything from any of this.  Very disappointing.  Could've been a great one but it certainly doesn't look like it now.  If I'm Saleh, I'm asking Carl Lawson to give him a talking to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Would love to hear Douglas off the record explaining Becton over Wirfs. I remember his pal Dan Jermiah was all in on Becton's late rise. It never made a ton of sense. 

Becton had the potential to play LT, the Holy Grail of Offensive Lineman.  

Wirfs was going to play G in the NFL.

People overlooked whether Becton was actually too big to survive the NFL, and in JD's defense, he was duped by his Combine prep, which was impressive.  I think with Covid and the old scouts, the risks were overlooked.  

But it is clear that Wirfs was going to be a guaranteed NFL starter at a G or RT.  We drafted AVT almost as high.  JD got greedy and when for high ceiling/low floor.  I don't think he does that again. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Becton had the potential to play LT, the Holy Grail of Offensive Lineman.  

Wirfs was going to play G in the NFL.

People overlooked whether Becton was actually too big to survive the NFL, and in JD's defense, he was duped by his Combine prep, which was impressive.  I think with Covid and the old scouts, the risks were overlooked.  

But it is clear that Wirfs was going to be a guaranteed NFL starter at a G or RT.  We drafted AVT almost as high.  JD got greedy and when for high ceiling/low floor.  I don't think he does that again. 

Wirfs would be the Jets LT. Becton wasn’t all that great at Louisville either. Puzzling pick along the lines of Rex taking Coples.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Wirfs would be the Jets LT. Becton wasn’t all that great at Louisville either. Puzzling pick along the lines of Rex taking Coples.

3 OT's went before wirfs because they could play LT.. nobody thought of wirfs as LT.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I would have argued with you not too long ago about this. I won't anymore. JD's 2020 draft is Maccagnanesque. Not a single draft pick is a starter. The more you look at the draft, the worse it gets. 

I said it here on that draft day but that's beside the point..as far as Becton, being that heavy is a choice and so is any lack of effort to correct that. He gets zero sympathy as a result...JD also, there clearly is an effort by him to justify that pick and this result was exactly what many of us predicted...it's that simple. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Wirfs would be the Jets LT. Becton wasn’t all that great at Louisville either. Puzzling pick along the lines of Rex taking Coples.

This is a bit revisionist 

the problem with Wirfs for a lot of people was that he wasn’t projected to play LT. 

you are making it sound like Wirfs was the consensus top guy. He was the fourth tackle taken - mainly because people saw him as a RT (which - he is!)

having said all of that, obviously, the Jets should have just taken Wirfs. But hindsight is 20/20 and it bears repeating that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT

  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...