Merged Becton Injury Thread

38 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a bit revisionist 

the problem with Wirfs for a lot of people was that he wasn’t projected to play LT. 

you are making it sound like Wirfs was the consensus top guy. He was the fourth tackle taken - mainly because people saw him as a RT (which - he is!)

having said all of that, obviously, the Jets should have just taken Wirfs. But hindsight is 20/20 and it bears repeating that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT

Many here pounded the table for him.

JN>Jets FO

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

For sure 

some portion of the Jets fanbase wanted a guy who ended up being better than the guy the Jets drafted. This is an annual occurrence. 

I was speaking in the royal sense, I really was saying I am better than the Jets FO ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2022 at 8:52 PM, BigGreenFan said:

At least half of Jets fans felt Becton wasn't any good.  He got run over last year by Lawson.  He got run over this year by some 3rd string DE.  He's fat.  He's lazy.  He's not motivated.  He should be cut, etc., etc.

Yet, somehow, now that he's gone, many of those same fans are saying this is a catastrophe and the season has been ruined.

I liked Becton.  Felt he had great potential.  But, I can't get too upset about losing out on someone with "potential" and I had my doubts -- as many others did -- that he would survive the entire season without getting hurt anyway.  So, this is not exactly a shock.

The Jets did NOT lose an all-pro tackle.  And I'm betting the difference between Becton and whoever replaces him will be minimal.  

Honestly, I see a lot of gloating from those people you talked about at the beginning.  

So my girlfriend who has been seeing an orthopedic surgeon due to the two torn ligaments she had in her ankle that she needed surgery for had an appointment yesterday and since she can't drive, I'm at these appointments  with her and go into the examination  room with her. At the end of the appointment I asked if he had heard about Becton which he said of course I have. I asked him if he had an opinion and he said it is going to take a good 4 to six months to recover from the chip fracture and for it to fully heal but he should be able to continue to play with proper monitoring and treatments. It will definitely  be somthing he will be dealing with as long as he continues to play but shouldn't stop him with proper care. 

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So my girlfriend who has been seeing an orthopedic surgeon due to the two torn ligaments she had in her ankle that she needed surgery for had an appointment yesterday and since she can't drive, I'm at these appointments  with her and go into the examination  room with her. At the end of the appointment I asked if he had heard about Becton which he said of course I have. I asked him if he had an opinion and he said it is going to take a good 4 to six months to recover from the chip fracture and for it to fully heal but he should be able to continue to play with proper monitoring and treatments. It will definitely  be somthing he will be dealing with as long as he continues to play but shouldn't stop him with proper care. 

That’s encouraging for him.

say what you want about the org but everything we hear is they are concerned about their players overall health and provide all facilities to ensure  they have what they need to accomplish.

this is on becton now to keep focused and  come back in the best possible conditioning. If the stories about his eating habits or overall conditioning are to be believed, he has some challenges ahead and I hope he overcomes them.

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is a bit revisionist 

the problem with Wirfs for a lot of people was that he wasn’t projected to play LT. 

you are making it sound like Wirfs was the consensus top guy. He was the fourth tackle taken - mainly because people saw him as a RT (which - he is!)

having said all of that, obviously, the Jets should have just taken Wirfs. But hindsight is 20/20 and it bears repeating that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT

And if the draft were redone today Wirfs is the first off the board so IDK.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And if the draft were redone today Wirfs is the first off the board so IDK.

Douglas swung for the hr his first draft and struck out with becton.  He wanted the LT, not the RT.  The safer pick was wirfs.  He also swung and seems to have missed in the 2nd round when he could have had better more polished wrs.  Whether it’s saleh’s influence, or having his own staff, or simply learning from his mistakes, he seems to have corrected his draft philosophy since then.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Douglas swung for the hr his first draft and struck out with becton.  He wanted the LT, not the RT.  The safer pick was wirfs.  He also swung and seems to have missed in the 2nd round when he could have had better more polished wrs.  Whether it’s saleh’s influence, or having his own staff, or simply learning from his mistakes, he seems to have corrected his draft philosophy since then.  

Yes it seems some tweaks were made to the scouting process. I remember thinking just hearing Becton and Mims talk after the draft that they didn’t seem to be locked in as much as they needed to be.

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The 2020 class is basically a complete bust.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

For sure 

some portion of the Jets fanbase wanted a guy who ended up being better than the guy the Jets drafted. This is an annual occurrence. 

I wanted Wirfs too just like I wanted DeShaun instead of Jamal.  Being a GM is easy when you know the team like WE do.  Last two drafts have been wonderful.  First one was unforgivable.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Wirfs too just like I wanted DeShaun instead of Jamal.  Being a GM is easy when you know the team like WE do.  Last two drafts have been wonderful.  First one was unforgivable.
Thank god we didnt go Deshaun

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Thank god we didnt go Deshaun emoji1787.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It would’ve been a vastly superior decision with the information available at the time, which, incidentally, is the only appropriate measure of a decision.

13 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Macc's staff, COVID restrictions on visits/travel etc....hard to  completely blame Douglas on that 1st draft class.

He does seem to learn from his mistakes though which is great to see.