Trade him ……….

Pretty sure Econ 101 would advise against trading an asset at its lowest value.  He'll be in a contract year next year and may finally be motivated to lose the extra 60 pounds to get to the Ogden prime of 345.  If he does that then I imagine his bones and joints will respond.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

I can’t see the Hamburgular (Becton) ever making through a whole NFL season. This is the second year in a row he won’t be playing, also his body type doesn’t fit this wide zone system and that’s why he will always get rolled up on. Time to get a pick for him and draft one next year that fits the system.

Will be sure to get his maximum value now.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who is giving up anything for Becton at this point?

His days as a Jet are absolutely numbered. But you might as well let him rehab and then move him next offseason.

Even then no one is giving up more than maybe a 5th round pick for him at most.

My guess is that there probably are a bunch of teams that would be willing to buy low for a high ceiling asset at OT.  But we're talking 6th or 7th rounder type value.  I don't think there's any point in making this trade from the Jets' perspective.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

He will be on IR so he won’t take up a roster spot and his money is guaranteed. Let’s see how fat he gets over the next year. If he survives training camp next year he will be a back up and maybe someone will trade for him. Otherwise he will walk into the nearest bakery at end of next year and never be heard from again. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, David Harris said:

He'll be in a contract year next year and may finally be motivated to lose the extra 60 pounds to get to the Ogden prime of 345.

True, but unfortunately many of these guys actually start acting like professionals in a contract year only to get that contract, and then revert to their former less productive ways (we've all seen it, and as contracts become more guaranteed we'll see it more often). You shouldn't have to teach a guy how to be a professional year round his third year in. That probably isn't the guy you want to commit long resources and time to (particularly with a growing injury history). 

Anybody with a set of eyes can plainly see that a guy whose legs look like the letter K when you're walking behind him, probably isn't going to be playing professional football any more. At this point the Jets couldn't get a pack of potato chips for him in a trade

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

I can’t see the Hamburgular (Becton) ever making through a whole NFL season. This is the second year in a row he won’t be playing, also his body type doesn’t fit this wide zone system and that’s why he will always get rolled up on. Time to get a pick for him and draft one next year that fits the system.

Yeah, I can see the ebay listing already:

LT/RT (preowned)

Buy now: 1st round pick

Submit offer: Minimum bid 2nd round pick

Shipping Estimate with UPS or Pick Up: Florham Park, NJ

Description: Often injured (knee issues for a huge guy), weight and conditioning issues, big ego (see chain), expects big money for his next contract.

Sold as is. No returns.

Seller: Jets 42% positive feedback

Previous Buyer Feedback:

(Seahawks167514) **** those guys! I have buyers remorse. ? (see item Box Safety)

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

I"m sure the market for him is red hot right now.

If we got two first rounders for Adams, who is just a safety, we should get even more for a premier position like left tackle.

35 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Pretty sure Econ 101 would advise against trading an asset at its lowest value.  He'll be in a contract year next year and may finally be motivated to lose the extra 60 pounds to get to the Ogden prime of 345.  If he does that then I imagine his bones and joints will respond.  

Bro, if dude is out for 8 games, 10 games, the whole season, he's coming back at 5 Bills. 

everything emperor GIF

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

No one is trading a pick for bEcton.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

I'm quite curious when someone sees "Merged Becton Injury Thread" what goes through their mind of to get to "I better start another Becton thread". 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, I can see the ebay listing already:

LT/RT (preowned)

Buy now: 1st round pick

Submit offer: Minimum bid 2nd round pick

Shipping Free or Pick Up: Florham Park, NJ

Description: Often injured (knee issues for a huge guy), weight and conditioning issues, big ego (see chain), expects big money for his next contract.

Sold as is. No returns.

Seller: Jets 42% positive feedback

If I may inject a bit of seriousness into your silly post:

No one's going to ship someone Becton's size for free unless he's shrink-wrapped to a skid & delivered via freight. Rates are much too high to ship for free by regular ground, let alone next day air, and we may as well keep him through the end of his rookie deal as ship for free via those methods. So nope; it's freight or local pickup if you want to entice buyers by advertising free shipping.

• Haha 4

He is out for the year. Not implausible his career is over. I would be surprised if he ever starts another game for the jets. Of course they will likely sign/draft long term replacement after the season or trade for one in near future. Maybe he can be back up next year if he can still walk without a limp.

3 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

The time to trade him was months ago at the Draft.

What do you expect to get for him now?  It's like trying to trade someone a bunch of movies.... on VCR tapes.  That ship has sailed.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one's going to ship someone Becton's size for free unless he's shrink-wrapped to a skid & delivered via freight. Rates are much too high to ship for free by regular ground, let alone next day air, and we may as well keep him through the end of his rookie deal. So nope; it's freight or local pickup if you want to entice buyers by advertising free shipping.

Jet Blue my man... The Jets know a guy. Then again, aviation fuel costs are rising, and flight crew is hard to find these days. I'll change the ad. 

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

(BTW wonderful play Sperm)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one's going to ship someone Becton's size for free unless he's shrink-wrapped to a skid & delivered via freight. Rates are much too high to ship for free by regular ground, let alone next day air, and we may as well keep him through the end of his rookie deal. So nope; it's freight or local pickup if you want to entice buyers by advertising free shipping.

This is what I was thinking. ^

Anyhow... if the Doc's dropped the ball on this and they should have been more extensive in the repair then shame on them . They knew he was a huge dude who was probably going to have issues anyway yet they didn't act probably also knowing he was going to miss the year . 

I still stand by my first thoughts on the kid when we drafted him, he was just too damn big and he had issues with speed guys because his feet were just not fast enough to deal with that type of stuff week in and week out in the NFL, Carl Lawson proved that too us all in last years camp before he himself got injured.

I don't particularly like people being mean about what this kid is going through and I had a few joke's added to the fray as well but now I genuinely feel bad for him and what he has to now face going forward. He wanted to prove something this camp and all reports said he worked hard to rehab the injury but he probably in that same breath could have taken his diet more seriously as well . I'm not sure if he weighed 400 pounds but in my eyes even 370 which was his playing weight is way way too much obviously for his legs to handle. I would have loved to see him march into camp in the 340 range and at that stage I would have had some hope but the 400 rumors and then the 370 realistic number did not give me any reason to feel this kid could come back from this or ever have a sustainable career in the NFL.

The easy way to evaluate what's going on here is to look at how many NFL players play at a high level at this weight or even play at all . We saw what excess weight did to Kris Jenkins his knees were gone and he was a super talent and he was only in the 340 to 350 range and played at a lower weight yet still wore out his knees. 

Trading him now is probably the most ridiculous thing I have heard regarding Becton he's worth nothing right now and no one in their right mind is going to pay up for a player going into what probably amounts to a 50/50 shot he ever plays again even if the surgery is a success simply based on his size alone. 

I wish him well but the answer at this stage is we wait an see how he comes through the surgery because at this stage that's the only option the Jets have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Nonsense. He's cheap for one more year. Let him rehab. Get him into camp next year. Wait for precisely this to happen to some other team, and trade him then. If not, release him and hope for a comp pick.. 

We don't get a comp pick if we release an under-contract player. If there's no offset language in then we wouldn't even get credited the little bit of 3rd yr minimum base salary.

Only way his last ~$3MM of salary is recouped is if someone trades for him.  All we'd save is the roster spot (and not even that if he's on IR in the first place; if he's not injured then he's better than most $3MM replacement tackles).

So even if he misses this whole season again, at that $ level - fan anger aside - they may as well keep him and hope for a sudden turnaround. 

• Upvote 1