With Becton’s Future in Doubt, Jets Should be on the Phone With Bears

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Teven Jenkins is rumored to be difficult to coach because he’s an angry juicehead, dating back to his college days. The Jets coaching staff is not going to be able to handle a personality like that. They want and need good citizens and self-starters. Duane Brown is their guy. 

I think most coaching staffs would rather stay away. I’d be more concerned about the coaches who think they know how to “fix” him. Unless the Bears are just giving him away, I‘d rather the Jets not be involved. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

except jenkins isn't actually a starting tackle.  he's 2nd string on a bad bears team, right now behind a 5th round pick.  he had back surgery after getting drafted, missed almost all of last year, has been hurt this year and has clashed with the coaches.

but yeah, let's trade a 2nd rounder for him...

Oops, I may have spoken too soon.  I finally did my research, as I should have done before I responded, and feel that the Jets should still try to trade for this guy, but it should probably be for more like a 6th or at the most, a 5th round pick. He is seen as perhaps one of the most talented offensive linemen on the Bears roster.  He has maturity issues, and back surgery as you correctly mentioned.  

I think he is worth a gamble, and in the Jets spot, should try to get him.  But to be fair, a second round pick would be criminal, and I appreciate you setting me straight.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I know JD values his picks but we cannot go into the season with our current projected offensive line, even if we sign Brown. 

There’s got to be someone in the league that will take a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a starter. Our entire roster is filled with high quality players and I wouldn’t be opposed of taking a possible “headcase.” 

Ultimately , we have to do what is best for Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I don't agree.  I would trade for Jenkins from the Bears if he's available.  I would even trade a 2nd round pick for Jenkins, since he was a 2nd round pick for the Bears.  You're not going to get anything worthwhile scouring the waiver wire; not for a quality right tackle.  And next year of course, draft a right tackle in the first round, unless Max and Jenkins show you something.  

That’s like saying you would only trade Mims for a 2nd.  Not a 3rd.  
Because the Bears made a mistake by wasting a 2nd on Jenkins we should too?  When he’s had a year to disprove the idea that he’s worth a 2? 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Teven Jenkins is rumored to be difficult to coach because he’s an angry juicehead, dating back to his college days. The Jets coaching staff is not going to be able to handle a personality like that. They want and need good citizens and self-starters. Duane Brown is their guy. 

If they cant handle a "tough personality" I'm ready to light the pyre.... I've been waiting....patiently.... for the next great conflagration.

bring-wood-and-oil.jpg.6b670813492fad2483203d2ec20b8ef1.jpg

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

That's fair.  Indulge me... what do you envision will be the NYJ's most glaring need next offseason that "requires" a first round pick? Let's say they go 7-10 and are picking 12th overall.

Just by process of elimination of premium positions...

LT - we're assuming they extend Fant
WR - just went there with Wilson, and also have Moore on the roster, so that's probably out?
EDGE - just went there with Jermaine, and still have Lawson, but I suppose they could go again?
CB - just went there fourth overall
QB - if we're 7-10, likely Zach improved and will be back.

What would be some possible positional targets?  Maybe LB?

Not to give you a copout answer, but it’s entirely too early to tell. Injuries happen, contract disputes happen, impossible to know which position FAs they’ll sign, and (as I previously mentioned) it depends where they pick. Also I don’t know crap about the upcoming draft class & who’d represent good or terrible value at this yet-unknown pick slot.

MLB could very well be a target, for example. I can’t see them retaining Mosley at his current level, but what if he takes a 50% pay cut — is he worth it then, or is he just not good enough anymore? If he’s brought back I have a hard time seeing them draft a MLB in round 1 a month later.

EDGE…what if Lawson, despite all the hype, is just ok? Will they pay him another $15MM non-guaranteed in that case? Doubtful, but that’s a situation where they can hang onto the starter heading into the draft, and then if they land another at his position then cut the veteran.

Doubt corner again, but sure I guess it’s possible. Doubt WR again in round 1, but depends who’s there I guess.

Also doubtful but possible that they go DT (ducks under thrown axes) if QW is meh this year. His 5th yr option is guaranteed, but if they have moved on mentally - or if he’s badly hurt - it’s a sunk cost. 

Also possible they go center, as much as I’ve expressed my dislike for taking that position that early. 

Yes an OT is also a decent possibility, too.

QB is the elephant in the room position; if Wilson is so awful then yeah that leaps to the front of the list.

IOW I could see them taking anything in round 1 other than RB, TE, G.

• Upvote 2

Letting Moses walk reminds me so much of the Pete Kendall situation.

Nor do we seem to have the Type A veteran personalities along the offensive line that would make a guy like that quickly “fall in line”.  Need to get Brown ASAP.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

Letting Moses walk reminds me so much of the Pete Kendall situation.

As I remember it, Mangini made an example out of Kendall for being a locker room lawyer and couldn’t wait to get him off the team. Moses, I think, had a gentleman’s agreement with the Jets that he would be one and done, and go on to play for a contender. After he signed with Baltimore, he said of his time with the Jets something to the effect of, “You always hear that it’s bad there (with the Jets), but it wasn’t that bad at all.” 

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As I remember it, Mangini made an example out of Kendall for being a locker room lawyer and couldn’t wait to get him off the team. Moses, I think, had a gentleman’s agreement with the Jets that he would be one and done, and go on to play for a contender. After he signed with Baltimore, he said of his time with the Jets something to the effect of, “You always hear that it’s bad there (with the Jets), but it wasn’t that bad at all.” 

Almost the full story. The Jets also apparently promised a 1m raise outside of contract that they reneged on. The OL fell off the cliff without Kendall. Locker room lawyer or no, should’ve paid him.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:58 PM, Warfish said:

Why do we always need to look into a guy who has "has fallen out of favor" elsewhere?

Becton has "has fallen out of favor" here, you don't see any needy NFL teams calling us.

No trades.  Scour the FA market, the waiver wire, etc. and get the best we can.

If we need to solve this long term, band-aid signings likely won't do it, it'll take a big $$ FA or the Draft.

well he's done more than just fallen out of favor. he may not even play another nfl down again. i know i know, the injury isnt considered career ending. still its a possibility and he definitely isnt playing this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Almost the full story. The Jets also apparently promised a 1m raise outside of contract that they reneged on. The OL fell off the cliff without Kendall. Locker room lawyer or no, should’ve paid him.

Tough to say. If he was being a pain in the ass, they had to do what they had to do. The mistake was thinking Adrien Clarke could play, at all

• Haha 2

Tough to say. If he was being a pain in the ass, they had to do what they had to do. The mistake was thinking Adrien Clarke could play, at all

I back the possible — even probable — pain in the ass over the Jets on the reg.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:58 PM, Warfish said:

Why do we always need to look into a guy who has "has fallen out of favor" elsewhere?

Becton has "has fallen out of favor" here, you don't see any needy NFL teams calling us.

No trades.  Scour the FA market, the waiver wire, etc. and get the best we can.

If we need to solve this long term, band-aid signings likely won't do it, it'll take a big $$ FA or the Draft.

This.

Honestly, there are several capable veteran RTs out there.

• Upvote 1

Not even sure I'm open the Duane Brown bandwagon at this point...

Signing him and then moving Fant to RT could be a disaster.

I'd rather leave Fant at LT as he's a better option than Brown at that spot and then find a passable RT with potential upside.... and if we sign Brown after that?  OK...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not even sure I'm open the Duane Brown bandwagon at this point...

Signing him and then moving Fant to RT could be a disaster.

I'd rather leave Fant at LT as he's a better option than Brown at that spot and then find a passable RT with potential upside.... and if we sign Brown after that?  OK...

Has it been established that signing Brown would mean moving Fant to RT?  

On 8/9/2022 at 8:34 PM, T0mShane said:

Exactly.

And if the Jets offered Moses a starting spot with starting RT money on a similar deal to Baltimore's, I have little doubt he would have stayed here.

Sometimes the timing of things just doesn't work out.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Has it been established that signing Brown would mean moving Fant to RT?  

I do not think Brown has EVER played RT in his 14 yr NFL career.  Everything I have read about the potential of Brown joining the NYJ has him at LT and moving Fant to RT.

Listen...we NEED OT help for this year.  Mitchell may fill a need next year, but Edoga and McDermott are less than average stopgaps at this point.  I would have NO issue with the NYJ signing someone who is a potential RT AND signing Brown in case Fant can't make it through the season either.

But only signing Brown IMO would be a mistake...he's not a RT, and not too sure Fant if healthy is either.

• Upvote 2

Have no idea what it would cost....probably less than signing Brown though...but I'd look at signing Eric Fisher who has played both sides.

Came off ACL injury in short order to play for Indy last year and looked better each week as the season progressed.

Lightning in a bottle is what we need LOL