With Becton’s Future in Doubt, Jets Should be on the Phone With Bears

Joe Douglas

Joe Douglas has his work cut out for him with Mekhi Becton likely out for entire 2022 season.  He lost is big offensive tackle during the team period of practice yesterday and is now looking at Chuma Edoga as his starter.

There is legitimate fear Mekhi Becton's 2022 season could be over, I'm told. #Jets

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) August 9, 2022

The expectation is that the Jets will pursue veteran offensive tackle Duane Brown who would be an excellent fallback option.

GM Joe Douglas, on @WFANmornings, says Duane Brown is in “phenomenal shape” and “the wheels are in motion.” Translation: #Jets remain very interested. Douglas acknowledges Becton injury more concerning than initially anticipated.

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 9, 2022

However, that doesn’t solve the Jets problem.  As it stands, the team doesn’t have a long-term starter at either tackle spot.  George Fant is due to hit free agency and Becton can no longer be viewed as part of the team’s future.

With this being the case, Douglas should explore the possibility of adding tackle Teven Jenkins.  Jenkins has fallen out of favor in Chicago where the Bears drafted him in the second round (39th overall) last season.

While there are reportedly some concerns about his maturity, there shouldn’t be much concern with Jenkins’ talent.  Given what is expected to be weak tackle class, adding a player like Jenkins and potentially extending George Fant would give the Jets their starting tackles for the next few seasons.

The post With Becton’s Future in Doubt, Jets Should be on the Phone With Bears appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No trades.  Scour the FA market, the waiver wire, etc. and get the best we can.

I don't agree.  I would trade for Jenkins from the Bears if he's available.  I would even trade a 2nd round pick for Jenkins, since he was a 2nd round pick for the Bears.  You're not going to get anything worthwhile scouring the waiver wire; not for a quality right tackle.  And next year of course, draft a right tackle in the first round, unless Max and Jenkins show you something.  

• Thumb Down 3

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why do we always need to look into a guy who has "has fallen out of favor" elsewhere?

Becton has "has fallen out of favor" here, you don't see any needy NFL teams calling us.

If we need to solve this long term, band-aid signings likely won't do it, it'll take a big $$ FA or the Draft.

On point!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, derp said:

This is an oversimplification but worth the larger point, I’m not sure an OL castoff from the Bears is really going to help.

Agree.  Let alone one that the Jets passed over in the draft just last year, and who has attitude problems.  Ideally they are able to close the deal with Brown, and the draft mandate for 2023 (assuming Zach doesn't lead us to 1-2 wins) is exceedingly clear:  OT.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

so the solution to replace an injury-prone becton is to trade for a guy who missed most of last year with after having back surgery and still is having injury issues this year (along with being a potential malcontent)???

People heard his name last year during the draft process so they will continue to bring up his name non stop.......it's why Jets fans wanted to trade or sign OJ Howard for 5 years even tho he sucked.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't agree.  I would trade for Jenkins from the Bears if he's available.  I would even trade a 2nd round pick for Jenkins, since he was a 2nd round pick for the Bears.  You're not going to get anything worthwhile scouring the waiver wire; not for a quality right tackle.  And next year of course, draft a right tackle in the first round, unless Max and Jenkins show you something.  

any chance you are a GM for another nfl team?  would love to trade mims for a 2nd round pick to your team...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

Are wide receivers as abundant as starting right tackles?  

except jenkins isn't actually a starting tackle.  he's 2nd string on a bad bears team, right now behind a 5th round pick.  he had back surgery after getting drafted, missed almost all of last year, has been hurt this year and has clashed with the coaches.

but yeah, let's trade a 2nd rounder for him...

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously. 

As things stand now, if he does miss the season again, then cutting/trading him aside, they surely won't spend the offseason relying upon him to be the starter in year 4. Plus Fant is a UFA. Plus McGovern is a UFA. Only the guards - and this year's rookie tackle - are under contract for 2023. 

Their best way out of this is:

1. Bite the bullet and sign a veteran like Brown. There are still others available, too, but they seem (or seemed) to like him best after Reiff. My only concern is he's never played RT in his career, and Fant seems much more natural at LT himself. So Brown might not be my own top choice, but what do I know. It'll only be a one-year bandaid, but a necessary one. If they're so worried about $ then bring in Jason Peters who always seems happy to take another $2MM to play another year.

• There are still a handful of starting FA tackle options, amazingly. Brown & Peters already mentioned. Also Fisher; Bulaga (if he's healed); D.Williams; Cannon; Shell; Solder (bleh); and though I haven't heard anything about him in some time, maybe Schwartz I suppose. 
  • No it's not the crème de la crème of starting RTs, but it's eff'ing August 9th, not March 9th. 

2. Extend Fant. Just because they can't have 2 holes to fill at both tackle spots (and center) in March. They don't have to rush on this right this minute, but they'll want to do it if he's still looking strong (on the field, of course) by the end of September. They have a little time yet, but if they wait too long, he may just gamble on not getting injured in the last 3-5 games and go to the highest bidder on what'll be his final career cash-in. 

3. They still need an OT3 if Mitchell isn't a super-fast learner already impressing everyone. Never mind thinking little; I think zero of McDermott and Edoga both.

4. Then next year they can see how they want to handle RT and C. It's possible Mitchell sees time on the field in the 2nd half of the season, and based on that, they're good with him starting next year. That'd leave just McGovern as the only upcoming UFA starter on the line. If he has a solid (and healthy) season this year I think they extend him further (centers are the best bargain veteran OLmen) just so they don't head into the draft pigeonholed into drafting the position really early. Becton...whatever; if he's out for this season entirely, then any play they get from him next year is bonus, but don't rely upon it. 

Do you envision the team needing to go back to the well at tackle in the first round of next year's draft?  Seems kind of inevitable, unless I suppose if you consider Fant the LT and seek a lower cost option at RT in free agency (or the second or third round of the draft).

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Do you envision the team needing to go back to the well at tackle in the first round of next year's draft?  Seems kind of inevitable, unless I suppose if you consider Fant the LT and seek a lower cost option at RT in free agency (or the second or third round of the draft).

Need? No. Certainly not if they extend Fant. 

T to me is only a "need" to burn a round 1 pick if it's a LT and they only signed a bandaid/stopgap LT thus far.

RTs don't require a 1st round pick by any stretch. 

Also depends where they pick, too.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Need? No. Certainly not if they extend Fant. 

T to me is only a "need" to burn a round 1 pick if it's a LT and they only signed a bandaid/stopgap LT thus far.

RTs don't require a 1st round pick by any stretch. 

Also depends where they pick, too.

That's fair.  Indulge me... what do you envision will be the NYJ's most glaring need next offseason that "requires" a first round pick? Let's say they go 7-10 and are picking 12th overall.

Just by process of elimination of premium positions...

LT - we're assuming they extend Fant
WR - just went there with Wilson, and also have Moore on the roster, so that's probably out?
EDGE - just went there with Jermaine, and still have Lawson, but I suppose they could go again?
CB - just went there fourth overall
QB - if we're 7-10, likely Zach improved and will be back.

What would be some possible positional targets?  Maybe LB?

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

That's fair.  Indulge me... what do you envision will be the NYJ's most glaring need next offseason that "requires" a first round pick? Let's say they go 7-10 and are picking 12th overall.

Just by process of elimination of premium positions...

LT - we're assuming they extend Fant
WR - just went there with Wilson, and also have Moore on the roster, so that's probably out?
EDGE - just went there with Jermaine, and still have Lawson, but I suppose they could go again?
CB - just went there fourth overall
QB - if we're 7-10, likely Zach improved and will be back.

What would be some possible positional targets?  Maybe LB?

I guess DT is also a possibility depending on what happens with Quinnen Williams

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why do we always need to look into a guy who has "has fallen out of favor" elsewhere?

Becton has "has fallen out of favor" here, you don't see any needy NFL teams calling us.

If we need to solve this long term, band-aid signings likely won't do it, it'll take a big $$ FA or the Draft.

This. The Bears offensive line is a disaster. They are clearly rebuilding. Yet, they can't get rid of Jenkins soon enough. That should tell everyone that he is not the answer. 

I think adding a solid vet, who may not have the ceiling of a Becton/Jenkins, but who has a much higher floor is the right move for this team. The offensive line last year was pretty decent the 2nd half and that was without Becton and Tomlinson, and AVT was a rookie. I think with the addition of Tomlinson and the maturation of AVT this offensive line will still be better, it just won't have the upside it was going to have with Becton at RT. 

• Upvote 1

The house of cards basically fell apart with Becton going out. The Jets have band aided OT ever since Brick retired because they have zero young OL pipeline. And I'm not talking about guys like AVT, Becton, etc., I mean the depth behind presumed starters. 

The Jets DID actually try to rectify that this year by drafting Max Mitchell. Definitely a guy who needs a year of seasoning before contending for a starting job. But we've stubbornly hung onto guys like Edoga and McDermott, guys who have zero future in this league as starting tackles, as pivotal backups and done nothing to build future potential behind the starters. It's strangely the only thing JD has carried over as a constant from Mac's years in the job.

I think the perfect way to look at it is comparing OL to how they have drafted CB. Last year, they found a starter at nickel w/Michael Carter, solid depth with Echols in the middle rounds, and built upon system fits with UDFA signings like Guidry and Dunn. Smart roster building!

The Jets have woefully failed to reproduce that approach on OL and now have to patch a giant Becton-sized hole on their roster with Fant (who has ALL the leverage in the world now for a massive contract), a vet signing or hoping that Max Mitchell nuts up immediately. I generally like what JD has done in his time here, but how this front office has handled OT looks like it could massively undercut the future potential of this team. 

• Thumb Down 1