Sports Doc: Becton's Injury Not A Career Ender

7 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, I dont understand this post.   You seem super pissed at Joe Douglas and want him fired?   Are you following the team this year?   Theyve signed a bunch of good players at positions of need and have a really nice young core of good hungry players that seem like good guys.   Their cap is healthy.  They seem to be headed in the right direction from where I'm sitting.

Clearly Douglas first draft is not looking very good but his last two look very good.   Maybe Gase had impact.  Maybe Covid?  Maybe they couldnt predict the health issues of the top 2 picks, who had no injury history in college?   Maybe the prior scouts needed to be replaced with guys that would draft for the system in place?  Maybe he screwed up his first draft but has figured it out and grown into the job since.   No one bats 1.000

Knowing and seeing all this, are you advocating for Douglas to be terminated?   Im disappointed that first draft didnt yield more but I think Douglas has a reasonable plan and is executing it pretty well.   

1Mekhi Becton Louisville

2Denzel Mims Baylor maybe a 5th WR

3Ashtyn Davis California

3Jabari Zuniga Florida

4La'Mical Perine Florida

4James Morgan Florida International

4Cameron Clark Charlotte

5Bryce Hall Virginia 4th CB

6Braden Mann Texas A&M Barely a NFL punter

Not very good, I would hate to see awful.

The Idzik 12, that was awful...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, I dont understand this post.   You seem super pissed at Joe Douglas and want him fired?   Are you following the team this year?   Theyve signed a bunch of good players at positions of need and have a really nice young core of good hungry players that seem like good guys.   Their cap is healthy.  They seem to be headed in the right direction from where I'm sitting.

Clearly Douglas first draft is not looking very good but his last two look very good.   Maybe Gase had impact.  Maybe Covid?  Maybe they couldnt predict the health issues of the top 2 picks, who had no injury history in college?   Maybe the prior scouts needed to be replaced with guys that would draft for the system in place?  Maybe he screwed up his first draft but has figured it out and grown into the job since.   No one bats 1.000

Knowing and seeing all this, are you advocating for Douglas to be terminated?   Im disappointed that first draft didnt yield more but I think Douglas has a reasonable plan and is executing it pretty well.   

I am not advocating for JD to be fired. However, he was ultimately responsible for the 2020 draft and passing on a stud OL named Wirfs.  He also has blown several million dollars by bringing guys like Kalil (6 million) and drafting extremely poor on his first go around.  

I believe JD has recovered from his first year blunder, but the final judgment on the last two drafts are still pending. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Your glorified GM screwed the 2020 draft. It was probably one of the worst drafts in NY Jets history; please don't start your "disease" rethoric and accept facts. You keep blaming Adam Gase as the mastermind of the 2020 draft, but the man in charge was your lord and savior JD.

People hate on the 2020 draft, and rightly so, but worst ever?  I guess it remains to be seen, but why was 2018 any better?  Do you like Fatukasi htat much? 2019?  They got Quinnen, but otherwise it was worse.  I mean, they were picking 3rd.  2016?  Jordan Jenkins and Brandon Shell.  Was that punter that much better?  In 2014 they took 12 players.  Only 3 of them legit belonged on NFL rosters.  Enunwa was probably the best and Dozier is the only one that deserved a 2nd contract to be a backup lineman.   Those sh*tty drafts were just this decade, not all-time.  2020 was a bad draft, but it remains to be seen what will happen with Hall, Mims, Davis and even Becton.

• Upvote 2

Career ending???  Where do people get this from?  He will have surgery and be fine for next year.  He didnt blow his knee out or anything.
Man, the amount of pub our 4th best olineman gets is just unreal.  Hes hurt.  Hes not coming back this year.  Move on.  
I am holding out the glimmer of hope ... but Mekhi might be too big for the game. He is fighting many issues ... some of it is immaturity, some of it is definitely physical, if there is a innate structural problem requiring rebuilding the knees ... I just dunno .. never say never ... but seems like the odds are long ...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Xtina said:

His body is just too big; the structure is overloaded. It cannot support the load. Drafters should steer clear of such oversize. I just wonder how Vince Fatfork’s body held up for as long as it did. 

Via The Athletic:

The injury: What happened — and what’s ahead

In Week 1 against the Panthers last season, Becton suffered a kneecap dislocation when a defender barreled into him. He was carted off the field, and it was later discovered he’d also suffered MCL and cartilage damage. Becton had arthroscopic knee surgery in September, and it was believed he’d be out four to eight weeks. Instead, he missed the entire season.

“The cartilage under your kneecap is technically the thickest in the body,” said Dr. Jesse Morse, a sports medicine physician based in Miami who has not treated Becton. “There’s a very good chance he chipped off some of that last year because of the sheer force of that kneecap popping off in such an extreme motion that it probably rubbed up against the femur, and when that happened, it took a chunk off that cartilage.”

Becton wasn’t ready to practice until Day 1 of training camp. Then on Aug. 5, Becton started wearing a brace in practice on his injured knee, aimed at addressing some discomfort he was feeling, Saleh said at the time.

Monday, Becton was spotted limping during individual drills at the start of practice after engaging with a teammate but stayed in practice anyway.

Saleh’s explanation: The team had a day off Sunday, and Becton had just played on the MetLife Stadium turf Saturday in the scrimmage, his first time since last season, so “it was going to take a little while for his knee to get going.”

On the second play of Monday’s team drills, Becton’s right toe got caught in the turf as defensive lineman John Franklin-Myersengaged with him, and his body went backward. He grabbed his right knee and favored it as he walked off the field and into the facility.

Initial tests showed no structural damage, Saleh said — so no ACL or MCL tears — but an MRI revealed the injury was more severe than initially observed.

Morse said that confusion is not surprising.

“A lot of times (the team will) do the highest-quality MRI that’s commercially available so you can see the nitty-gritty of every little piece of cartilage, meniscus, everything,” Morse said. “Sometimes they’ll even consider a CT scan, which is good for fractures, to determine the size of the bone, the shape of the bone. They’ll do 3D modeling to give you an idea of how it’s currently structured. An ultrasound can help, but it doesn’t penetrate bone well. That’s why, even if they threw on an ultrasound at practice, you probably wouldn’t have been able to see much, because it was underneath the kneecap.”

Saleh said as much: “With the MRIs, the deeper we got, the worse it got.”

Morse thinks Becton’s previous injury made him more susceptible to this injury.

“Anytime he gets locked in an engage position, that cartilage that’s missing is going to cause some pain underneath the kneecap,” Morse said. “So anytime you walk upstairs, down hills — anything changing in incline or decline usually causes pain there. When he was shuffling Monday, trying to get into his position, it looked like his kneecap maybe couldn’t keep up with the rest of the joint … so when that happened, he likely clipped a piece of the kneecap off.”

The very best-case scenario, with “ridiculous” luck, Morse said, would be Becton missing only six weeks. But the Jets, by all accounts, have already accepted the worst-case scenario: that Becton is out for the season. He’ll presumably be placed on injured reserve before the start of the season, officially ending it.

And Becton has a long road of recovery ahead, especially because of his size. He’s listed at 6-foot-7 and 363 pounds.

“The problem is, with a man of that size, there’s so much stress on that knee,” Morse said. “Every additional pound on the abdomen is 4 pounds on the knee. A normal-(sized) guy, it’s not a big deal. But someone who is 360, 370, that’s a massive load. Whenever you squat, the pressure in the joint increases 700 percent. So you’re adding a lot of forces here. …

“The way they’re describing it and the history of his knee injury and the size of the guy, put everything together, I’d be really surprised if he played this year.”

• Upvote 2

JD's 2020 draft is looking bad, but he changed two big things since then:  The scouting and coaching staffs.

Obviously he figured out the people already in place weren't very good.  Now the last two drafts look stellar in comparison.  Probably our best back to back drafts since the late 70's. 

• Upvote 4

The chances of Becton having a meaningful NFL career are slim to none at this point.

Wirfs was the pick in 2020. Many people called it, and it unsurprisingly came to fruition.

As much as I like Sauce as a player, Ekwonu was the pick in 2022. Many of us called this one as well.  There was simply too much uncertainty at the critical OT position (Becton injury and motivational concerns, Fant injury concerns and last year of contract, awful depth). CB/S was already flush with good, young talent after Douglas used a number of resources on the secondary in the past two years.

This entire situation puts Zach Wilson, the Jets offense, and ultimately Douglas' employment in jeopardy. It wasn't hard to envision this scenario. This isn't rocket science.

• Upvote 1

I remember resigning myself to the fact we were going to take Becton and asking some of you fellows to talk me into why it wasnt bad.

By the time we took him I was happy about it and definitely thought I was wrong for doubting him predraft after his rookie year.

Now ....

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

I have no idea if Becton will come back strong next year or not.  But, no way should the Jets count on him for anything next year, even if he gets his head on straight and works hard all offseason, etc.

The Jets will either be taking an OT in the first round next year, or signing a good free agent one after next season.  And that's even if Fant stays healthy, plays well, and signs an extension.  If not...then yikes.  Maybe Max Mitchell can be a possible starter next year?

If Becton does come back strong, great.  It'll be a great story and he can compete for the swing tackle job next year... but he'll need to stay healthy for a full season before I'd even consider offering him an extension.

2 hours ago, Wit said:

I think you have been right about alot of things re: the Jets regime, but I think Mekhi is done barring super hard work and soul searching that begins NOW. 

Hes not going anywhere.  He is on this team next year.  They will bring in competition at RT and if he wins the job in camp, its his.  But he will not be handed a job like his was his 1st 3 years here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, I dont understand this post.   You seem super pissed at Joe Douglas and want him fired?

He literally never said anything resembling this. Why do people get so god damn touchy about any criticism towards this guy - even when it's objectively true? What has he done to earn this reverence? The 2020 draft was a disaster and it's a reminder that we shouldn't be crowning anyone until the team actually does something worthwhile. 

As for Becton yeah it wouldn't be a career ender for most people but another year on the couch after the difficulty he had coming back from a less serious injury doesn't bode well. Knee problems for a guy that size are a killer. I'd be stunned if he's in the league in three years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Career ending???  Where do people get this from?  He will have surgery and be fine for next year.  He didnt blow his knee out or anything.

Man, the amount of pub our 4th best olineman gets is just unreal.  Hes hurt.  Hes not coming back this year.  Move on.  

He's only played one game since DeShaun Weinstein stopped playing. He's gotten a season ending injury before week 2 in 2 of his 3 years. If he comes back, it's because JD doesn't want to let go of his 1st ever pick as a GM, not because he really has a shot on the Jets. He will be a 2nd or 3rd stringer at the most if he comes back, but I don't really see it

Hes not going anywhere.  He is on this team next year.  They will bring in competition at RT and if he wins the job in camp, its his.  But he will not be handed a job like his was his 1st 3 years here.
I am appreciative of the effort given what was revealed about this knee problem.

Would love nothing more than for him to have a long productive journeyman career.

Pulling for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Your glorified GM screwed the 2020 draft. It was probably one of the worst drafts in NY Jets history; please don't start your "disease" rethoric and accept facts. You keep blaming Adam Gase as the mastermind of the 2020 draft, but the man in charge was your lord and savior JD.

Taking it to the extreme opposite of Joes post doesn’t make your take any smarter.

Blaming the GM for a player who is injury prone is not all that smart 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

1Mekhi Becton Louisville

2Denzel Mims Baylor maybe a 5th WR

3Ashtyn Davis California

3Jabari Zuniga Florida

4La'Mical Perine Florida

4James Morgan Florida International

4Cameron Clark Charlotte

5Bryce Hall Virginia 4th CB

6Braden Mann Texas A&M Barely a NFL punter

Not very good, I would hate to see awful.

The Idzik 12, that was awful...

OK now do that for the last 2 drafts

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe they can use him as a breakfast cook. ?‍?

My buddies older brother in HS was a dominate OL.  Many d1 offers.  Mack Brown was on the phone with him and he aaked him how things were.  He told Mack Brown that he just had a Dr look at his knee and he may need surgery.  I dont remember the prognosis but he never heard from Mack again.  He ended up at Baylor and had a good career, no NFL shot though.

Knees are a big deal when you're a big guy.

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

GFY

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Your lover boy handed  someone a job that never should have been handed to him  in the 1st place. It was Moses job to lose. That's what Moses should have been told. He wasn't, and that's why we're in this mess. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Xtina said:

His body is just too big; the structure is overloaded. It cannot support the load. Drafters should steer clear of such oversize. I just wonder how Vince Fatfork’s body held up for as long as it did. 

He didn’t move to much, he sat and clogged the middle. Tackles need quick lateral movement Vince Fatso not so much.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

Let's be honest and realistic, I think that most of us have moved on from Becton and this report probably doesn't move our emotional needle. 

Carl Lawson suffered a major injury and worked his tail off to regain his form. I can't say that I am 100% certain--it is all speculation--but when Becton initially showed to the non-mandatory OTAs, he was apparently overweight.

We all wanted to see him do well, but I think a good portion of the blame should be strictly on Becton. His lack of motivation during his recovery was an utter disrespect to the entire organization including us the fans.

It's time to move on and find his replacement. 

Injuries happen! Being paid MILLION$ to work hard during your injury recuperation to keep your weight down is not a lot to ask. Especially with the Jets nutritional staff there to assist. 
Very sad to see the lack of motivation and pride in being a professional athlete. I was stoked when he was drafted!

Another in a long line of disappointing Jets draft picks 

Glad JD learned from his 2020 draft mistakes and made certain he selected high character, high effort players

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Via The Athletic:

The injury: What happened — and what’s ahead

In Week 1 against the Panthers last season, Becton suffered a kneecap dislocation when a defender barreled into him. He was carted off the field, and it was later discovered he’d also suffered MCL and cartilage damage. Becton had arthroscopic knee surgery in September, and it was believed he’d be out four to eight weeks. Instead, he missed the entire season.

“The cartilage under your kneecap is technically the thickest in the body,” said Dr. Jesse Morse, a sports medicine physician based in Miami who has not treated Becton. “There’s a very good chance he chipped off some of that last year because of the sheer force of that kneecap popping off in such an extreme motion that it probably rubbed up against the femur, and when that happened, it took a chunk off that cartilage.”

Becton wasn’t ready to practice until Day 1 of training camp. Then on Aug. 5, Becton started wearing a brace in practice on his injured knee, aimed at addressing some discomfort he was feeling, Saleh said at the time.

Monday, Becton was spotted limping during individual drills at the start of practice after engaging with a teammate but stayed in practice anyway.

Saleh’s explanation: The team had a day off Sunday, and Becton had just played on the MetLife Stadium turf Saturday in the scrimmage, his first time since last season, so “it was going to take a little while for his knee to get going.”

On the second play of Monday’s team drills, Becton’s right toe got caught in the turf as defensive lineman John Franklin-Myersengaged with him, and his body went backward. He grabbed his right knee and favored it as he walked off the field and into the facility.

Initial tests showed no structural damage, Saleh said — so no ACL or MCL tears — but an MRI revealed the injury was more severe than initially observed.

Morse said that confusion is not surprising.

“A lot of times (the team will) do the highest-quality MRI that’s commercially available so you can see the nitty-gritty of every little piece of cartilage, meniscus, everything,” Morse said. “Sometimes they’ll even consider a CT scan, which is good for fractures, to determine the size of the bone, the shape of the bone. They’ll do 3D modeling to give you an idea of how it’s currently structured. An ultrasound can help, but it doesn’t penetrate bone well. That’s why, even if they threw on an ultrasound at practice, you probably wouldn’t have been able to see much, because it was underneath the kneecap.”

Saleh said as much: “With the MRIs, the deeper we got, the worse it got.”

Morse thinks Becton’s previous injury made him more susceptible to this injury.

“Anytime he gets locked in an engage position, that cartilage that’s missing is going to cause some pain underneath the kneecap,” Morse said. “So anytime you walk upstairs, down hills — anything changing in incline or decline usually causes pain there. When he was shuffling Monday, trying to get into his position, it looked like his kneecap maybe couldn’t keep up with the rest of the joint … so when that happened, he likely clipped a piece of the kneecap off.”

The very best-case scenario, with “ridiculous” luck, Morse said, would be Becton missing only six weeks. But the Jets, by all accounts, have already accepted the worst-case scenario: that Becton is out for the season. He’ll presumably be placed on injured reserve before the start of the season, officially ending it.

And Becton has a long road of recovery ahead, especially because of his size. He’s listed at 6-foot-7 and 363 pounds.

“The problem is, with a man of that size, there’s so much stress on that knee,” Morse said. “Every additional pound on the abdomen is 4 pounds on the knee. A normal-(sized) guy, it’s not a big deal. But someone who is 360, 370, that’s a massive load. Whenever you squat, the pressure in the joint increases 700 percent. So you’re adding a lot of forces here. …

“The way they’re describing it and the history of his knee injury and the size of the guy, put everything together, I’d be really surprised if he played this year.”

Thanks - excellent explanation of what has occurred since last year. Far from a doctor but the way I read this even if he is dedicated to rehab and let's say drops an additional 20-30 pounds, it seems like the damage that is done will always be an issue for a man that has to plant and shuffle as part of his position.

Would love to have him back and part of this team but medically - it seems like a long shot 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The chances of Becton having a meaningful NFL career are slim to none at this point.

Wirfs was the pick in 2020. Many people called it, and it unsurprisingly came to fruition.

As much as I like Sauce as a player, Ekwonu was the pick in 2022. Many of us called this one as well.  There was simply too much uncertainty at the critical OT position (Becton injury and motivational concerns, Fant injury concerns and last year of contract, awful depth). CB/S was already flush with good, young talent after Douglas used a number of resources on the secondary in the past two years.

This entire situation puts Zach Wilson, the Jets offense, and ultimately Douglas' employment in jeopardy. It wasn't hard to envision this scenario. This isn't rocket science.

Mekhi over Wirfs clearly was the wrong pick but do any of the people in this thread know who the Rams RT was in the super bowl?  How about the Bengals RT or the Chiefs?

JD has a month to find or promote a replacement and get them ready for week 1. Ekwonu, btw is struggling in camp with Carolina and isn’t even a lock to start there while Sauce looks great so I’m not sure why people think that pick was a mistake either.  We will address RT today or tomorrow for the short term and will address it long term with either Max Mitchell or a replacement in the off season.  

• Upvote 1