Sports Doc: Becton's Injury Not A Career Ender

13 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

With respect, I dont understand this post.   You seem super pissed at Joe Douglas and want him fired?   Are you following the team this year?   Theyve signed a bunch of good players at positions of need and have a really nice young core of good hungry players that seem like good guys.   Their cap is healthy.  They seem to be headed in the right direction from where I'm sitting.

Clearly Douglas first draft is not looking very good but his last two look very good.   Maybe Gase had impact.  Maybe Covid?  Maybe they couldnt predict the health issues of the top 2 picks, who had no injury history in college?   Maybe the prior scouts needed to be replaced with guys that would draft for the system in place?  Maybe he screwed up his first draft but has figured it out and grown into the job since.   No one bats 1.000

Knowing and seeing all this, are you advocating for Douglas to be terminated?   Im disappointed that first draft didnt yield more but I think Douglas has a reasonable plan and is executing it pretty well.   

100% spot on. ?

• Upvote 1

Mekhi over Wirfs clearly was the wrong pick but do any of the people in this thread know who the Rams RT was in the super bowl?  How about the Bengals RT or the Chiefs?
JD has a month to find or promote a replacement and get them ready for week 1. Ekwonu, btw is struggling in camp with Carolina and isn’t even a lock to start there while Sauce looks great so I’m not sure why people think that pick was a mistake either.  We will address RT today or tomorrow for the short term and will address it long term with either Max Mitchell or a replacement in the off season.  
I was one of the most vocal Sauce Pick critics. I have to say ... so far if it's not just hyperbole .... I am ecstatic I seem to have been completely wrong. I wanted IK or Thibs ... havent heard a whisper Thibs and I guess IK is struggling ?? Time will tell.

One thing for sure ... whiffing on Becton, JD will have a tough time if Sauce flames out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bronx said:

Your glorified GM screwed the 2020 draft. It was probably one of the worst drafts in NY Jets history; please don't start your "disease" rethoric and accept facts. You keep blaming Adam Gase as the mastermind of the 2020 draft, but the man in charge was your lord and savior JD.

Oh, where to start as this seems a bit over the top. You mean the glorified gm that actually put together the first roster in forever that resembles a young talented team that isn't heavy at some positions (maybe) and barren at others (other than LB). The 2020 draft covid edition with no visits medical or otherwise which was also the first draft he ran? As for one of the worst drafts in team history that's quite a high bar. In hindsight would Wirfs had been better? Yes. Would Mr. Morgan had been a Jet? No. Would all of your hypothetical picks have hit? Hell no, neither would mine. For all we know Wirfs gets drafted to the Jets, falls into a deep depression because of such, and develops an eating disorder to cope.  Meanwhile the 2021 and 2022 drafts are looking pretty good though early. Potentially 2 good drafts out of 3 is pretty damn good for any GM particularly a Jets GM when looking at our track record. If, big if, Mims can develop even one player out of a draft beats out most of the drafts we've seen particularly from the two regimes prior to JD.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bronx said:

JD's 2020 draft was pretty bad and that's a fact. 

Sure, I don't think there's any question about it - much worse than pretty bad.  So was his first year of free agency.  

But you have to look at how work in the aggregate to make a determination about him as a GM. 

All of the variables have been mentioned in this thread already - but ultimately, to me, if feels like growing pains. 

With that said - that's all in the pats - going forward I feel very confident in him as the GM - and I think that's really what matters.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Wirfs gets drafted to the Jets, falls into a deep depression because of such, and develops an eating disorder to cope

Luckily, here at JN we already have a consultant to help us with such disorde, hence keeping all of us in good shape, mentally and physically. 

Thank you dear @The Crusher

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

Via The Athletic:

The injury: What happened — and what’s ahead

In Week 1 against the Panthers last season, Becton suffered a kneecap dislocation when a defender barreled into him. He was carted off the field, and it was later discovered he’d also suffered MCL and cartilage damage. Becton had arthroscopic knee surgery in September, and it was believed he’d be out four to eight weeks. Instead, he missed the entire season.

“The cartilage under your kneecap is technically the thickest in the body,” said Dr. Jesse Morse, a sports medicine physician based in Miami who has not treated Becton. “There’s a very good chance he chipped off some of that last year because of the sheer force of that kneecap popping off in such an extreme motion that it probably rubbed up against the femur, and when that happened, it took a chunk off that cartilage.”

Becton wasn’t ready to practice until Day 1 of training camp. Then on Aug. 5, Becton started wearing a brace in practice on his injured knee, aimed at addressing some discomfort he was feeling, Saleh said at the time.

Monday, Becton was spotted limping during individual drills at the start of practice after engaging with a teammate but stayed in practice anyway.

Saleh’s explanation: The team had a day off Sunday, and Becton had just played on the MetLife Stadium turf Saturday in the scrimmage, his first time since last season, so “it was going to take a little while for his knee to get going.”

On the second play of Monday’s team drills, Becton’s right toe got caught in the turf as defensive lineman John Franklin-Myersengaged with him, and his body went backward. He grabbed his right knee and favored it as he walked off the field and into the facility.

Initial tests showed no structural damage, Saleh said — so no ACL or MCL tears — but an MRI revealed the injury was more severe than initially observed.

Morse said that confusion is not surprising.

“A lot of times (the team will) do the highest-quality MRI that’s commercially available so you can see the nitty-gritty of every little piece of cartilage, meniscus, everything,” Morse said. “Sometimes they’ll even consider a CT scan, which is good for fractures, to determine the size of the bone, the shape of the bone. They’ll do 3D modeling to give you an idea of how it’s currently structured. An ultrasound can help, but it doesn’t penetrate bone well. That’s why, even if they threw on an ultrasound at practice, you probably wouldn’t have been able to see much, because it was underneath the kneecap.”

Saleh said as much: “With the MRIs, the deeper we got, the worse it got.”

Morse thinks Becton’s previous injury made him more susceptible to this injury.

“Anytime he gets locked in an engage position, that cartilage that’s missing is going to cause some pain underneath the kneecap,” Morse said. “So anytime you walk upstairs, down hills — anything changing in incline or decline usually causes pain there. When he was shuffling Monday, trying to get into his position, it looked like his kneecap maybe couldn’t keep up with the rest of the joint … so when that happened, he likely clipped a piece of the kneecap off.”

The very best-case scenario, with “ridiculous” luck, Morse said, would be Becton missing only six weeks. But the Jets, by all accounts, have already accepted the worst-case scenario: that Becton is out for the season. He’ll presumably be placed on injured reserve before the start of the season, officially ending it.

And Becton has a long road of recovery ahead, especially because of his size. He’s listed at 6-foot-7 and 363 pounds.

“The problem is, with a man of that size, there’s so much stress on that knee,” Morse said. “Every additional pound on the abdomen is 4 pounds on the knee. A normal-(sized) guy, it’s not a big deal. But someone who is 360, 370, that’s a massive load. Whenever you squat, the pressure in the joint increases 700 percent. So you’re adding a lot of forces here. …

“The way they’re describing it and the history of his knee injury and the size of the guy, put everything together, I’d be really surprised if he played this year.”

If this doctor is accurate, it sounds like he didn’t just develop discomfort in the knee, but that it only got worse with more use. Sounds like the initial injury might’ve given him the Dewayne Robertson bone on bone condition, the hit to his knee cap removing some of the cartilage underneath. I mean, that just sounds painful; the idea that the leg bone against the knee cap is what snapped a piece off of it? ****ing ouch! 

I feel bad for him, and wish people would stop piling on. His career really might be over unless they have a procedure to fix that cartilage. He can’t hurt us anymore. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I did mentioned them on my original post, TBD.

Yeah, looking back at draft picks, after the fact makes it easy to like or hate picks.  I love when people like a pick then complain later as if they were against it even more than the weak. TBD while being negative approach.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, looking back at draft picks, after the fact makes it easy to like or hate picks.  I love when people like a pick then complain later as if they were against it even more than the weak. TBD while being negative approach.

As a die hard jets fan I have conned myself into loving all Jets draft picks and buying all the hype right up to midway through their rookie seasons.  In Becton's case I bought in fully.   I bought in fully on Mims and the safety.   I’m not paid millions to pick players.  I’m a fan.   I also realize the experts like Douglas are no better than stock pickers.   They have no information that’s not available to anyone else and they really are projecting development.  At best you hope taking over a bad team with higher picks in each round plays out over a few years.   That plus the cap that hurts good teams and helps bad teams is baked into the cake.  Douglas just needs to be competent and hopefully the coaching staff can develop enough talent to full potential to actual win.

Full disclosure when I buy a lottery ticket I spend an hour or two before the drawing thinking about what I’m going to do with the money. 

I think it’s reasonable for fans to love draft picks and hate bad results.  That’s why these guys get hired and fired.   To expect fans to be experts isn’t fair.   On the other hand fans have almost as much information as NFL GMs have.  When they do obviously dumb things some fans actually notice.  

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

To be fair, Becton was a gigantic (literally) boom or bust pick.  But I understand why JD took him.  We needed a LT, and Wirfs was a RT.  In hindsight, as a lot of people like to play the game, Wirfs would have been the better pick given how Fant has turned out in LT.  But he didn't.

Same with Mims.  Mims was highly touted, but hasn't worked out so far. Same with Ashtyn Davis.  Sometimes picks don't work out because they are playing on bad teams who either utilize them wrong, or they are asked to do too much too early in their development.

Either way, JD's first draft is looking like it will not produce much.  The second draft is looking good so far and will hinge on Wilson's development. The third draft, on paper, looks great.  So does the F/A class.  

Like everything else, when you sign a rookie (which JD was), you shouldn't expect much the first year.  But we have seen better decisions as he goes along.  THAT is what you want to see.  Maccagnan won GM of the year that first year, but he basically bought it with Woody's money in F/A.  The man simply could not draft.  JD is seemingly getting better at that.  Time will tell how all these picks work out.  

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

When they do obviously dumb things some fans actually notice.  

And that would be fair, like needing a franchise quarterback but instead using the 6th pick to draft a safety, and then taking another safety with your high 2nd round pick as well.

Personally, that is why I am not so harsh on JD for his first season.  All three of the picks from rounds 1-3 were players I was quite satisfied with and thought they were solid decisions both from areas of need and quality of player.  Sometimes good picks don't work out.  It is unfortunate that JD's first draft went this way.  Now, we need the 2021 class to not have that happen.  

15 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

To be fair, Becton was a gigantic (literally) boom or bust pick.  But I understand why JD took him.  We needed a LT, and Wirfs was a RT.  In hindsight, as a lot of people like to play the game, Wirfs would have been the better pick given how Fant has turned out in LT.  But he didn't.

Same with Mims.  Mims was highly touted, but hasn't worked out so far. Same with Ashtyn Davis.  Sometimes picks don't work out because they are playing on bad teams who either utilize them wrong, or they are asked to do too much too early in their development.

Either way, JD's first draft is looking like it will not produce much.  The second draft is looking good so far and will hinge on Wilson's development. The third draft, on paper, looks great.  So does the F/A class.  

Like everything else, when you sign a rookie (which JD was), you shouldn't expect much the first year.  But we have seen better decisions as he goes along.  THAT is what you want to see.  Maccagnan won GM of the year that first year, but he basically bought it with Woody's money in F/A.  The man simply could not draft.  JD is seemingly getting better at that.  Time will tell how all these picks work out.  

It’s almost as if someone can’t get better at something after the first time they ever do it. 

I think the way he drafted WRs his first two years is a microcosm of his drafting evolution. His first year, he traded back when he saw a few players on the board he liked and watched Claypool and Van Jefferson come off the board before he selected Mims. Did he miss on the receiver he really wanted? The following year, he trades away two third round picks to move up for AVT, so at that point it really looks like trading back in the second to get a pick or two back would be the move. But no, he stuck and took the #1 guy on his board. 

This year he was even more aggressive, trading up for both Johnson and Hall. There would seem to be a definite shift in his philosophy from taking what the draft gives you to going up and getting it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s almost as if someone can’t get better at something after the first time they ever do it. 

I think the way he drafted WRs his first two years is a microcosm of his drafting evolution. His first year, he traded back when he saw a few players on the board he liked and watched Claypool and Van Jefferson come off the board before he selected Mims. Did he miss on the receiver he really wanted? The following year, he trades away two third round picks to move up for AVT, so at that point it really looks like trading back in the second to get a pick or two back would be the move. But no, he stuck and took the #1 guy on his board. 

This year he was even more aggressive, trading up for both Johnson and Hall. There would seem to be a definite shift in his philosophy from taking what the draft gives you to going up and getting it. 

Also, his adams and darnold trades armed him with enough draft capital to be able to trade up for avt and jj and not be concerned he was sacrificing his drafts like tanny did.  In fact he had enough picks this year he didn’t draft beyond the 4th round.  But yes, i think douglas learned a lot his first year drafting, which was harder b/c of not having his staff in place and the pandemic.  Also, since saleh and his staff arrived there seems to be much more unity in terms of the types of players they’re looking for.  Can mims fit in, maybe.  Becton didn’t seem like a good fit for the offense, but they were clearly willing to give him another shot, but not at LT.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

As a die hard jets fan I have conned myself into loving all Jets draft picks and buying all the hype right up to midway through their rookie seasons.  In Becton's case I bought in fully.   I bought in fully on Mims and the safety.   I’m not paid millions to pick players.  I’m a fan.   I also realize the experts like Douglas are no better than stock pickers.   They have no information that’s not available to anyone else and they really are projecting development.  At best you hope taking over a bad team with higher picks in each round plays out over a few years.   That plus the cap that hurts good teams and helps bad teams is baked into the cake.  Douglas just needs to be competent and hopefully the coaching staff can develop enough talent to full potential to actual win.

Full disclosure when I buy a lottery ticket I spend an hour or two before the drawing thinking about what I’m going to do with the money. 

I think it’s reasonable for fans to love draft picks and hate bad results.  That’s why these guys get hired and fired.   To expect fans to be experts isn’t fair.   On the other hand fans have almost as much information as NFL GMs have.  When they do obviously dumb things some fans actually notice.  

Not asking anyone to be experts.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not asking anyone to be experts.  

Why shouldn't a fan love a draft pick before there's actual performance and second guess the GM after the pick sucks.   The owners of NFL teams actually fire GM's for this same reason every year. 

17 hours ago, rldev said:

In fairness, "the organization"  clearly got this wrong. Dude has been hobbling around all camp. They should have pulled the plug. 

Which if true, is really sad. Now he sustained yet another knee injury. His healing time is atrocious.  If he’s smart, he’ll settle for a buyout package, heal over the next 2 years and try to play again somewhere, not here, in 2024. And he’ll have to bite the bullet and settle for a incentive based contract if he ever gets the opportunity to play again. No one is paying him until he proves he has some staying power. Just a gawd dawg shame. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Career ending???  Where do people get this from?  He will have surgery and be fine for next year.  He didnt blow his knee out or anything.

Man, the amount of pub our 4th best olineman gets is just unreal.  Hes hurt.  Hes not coming back this year.  Move on.  

You are one of the few posters who can routinely put me into an existential crisis whether to go with a thumbs down or laughing face vote. 

Seriously, well done dude. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, slats said:

He’s going to have to treat this offseason much more seriously than he did the last one. He should have the surgery. He should rehab. He should maintain his weight. He should be at least close to football shape. And he should show up for voluntary work next spring. 

I get everyone writing him off, but he’s under contract for a guaranteed $3.1M next year. Jets obviously won’t be picking up his fifth year option, so it’ll be a contract year for him. Does the motivation finally kick in for the young father? Because he won’t be handed a starting job again next year. I don’t see the team getting anything for him in a trade, so rather than eat that $3.1M I’d expect them to give him a chance to show something. Similar to the situation Mims finds himself in this year. 

agree but it's up to him.  i'm sure he got quite a bit of money up front.  certainly more than i'll make in my lifetime so it's a pretty good bet that he can sit back and do nothing.  of course he won't play football but then he doesn't have to.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Why shouldn't a fan love a draft pick before there's actual performance and second guess the GM after the pick sucks.   The owners of NFL teams actually fire GM's for this same reason every year. 

Because I’m talking fans saying the GM sucks after that fan was dancing over the pick.  Just like if you give the answer that some give the we’ll see answer when discussing young players and then come back with I never liked him, they should excuse themselves from the conversation. 

22 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

1Mekhi Becton Louisville

2Denzel Mims Baylor maybe a 5th WR

3Ashtyn Davis California

3Jabari Zuniga Florida

4La'Mical Perine Florida

4James Morgan Florida International

4Cameron Clark Charlotte

5Bryce Hall Virginia 4th CB

6Braden Mann Texas A&M Barely a NFL punter

Not very good, I would hate to see awful.

The Idzik 12, that was awful...

Now list the UDFA's...

• Haha 1