The Jets and injuries the past few years. Did we just get a look at why they have so many.

I think I read somewhere,  no team has had the amount of injured players as the Jets the last few years. It started I think when Gase showed up and has continued with JD and Saleh. By the last 3 games of 2021, this team looked like they had been dragged behind a truck. Now look at what happened with Becton. This guy wasn't walking around with a hitch in his step, we all saw the video. He was limping badly. He was trying to walk it off but even before the injury, his knee was not right and the trainers just took no notice. Now I know in this kind of job, you have to learn to play through pain but we are talking about a guy that missed an entire season because of the knee that was giving him trouble yesterday.  This should have at least been a red flag to sit him down. So now I am thinking. Could this be why this team has had the enormous  amount of injuries.  If this is how they treated Becton in a practice where he is clearly hurt and its  the same knee that kept him out all this time, is it so far fetched that this also happened to other players throughout  the season? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think a big part of it is being eliminated from contention.   Why risk playing through an injury for meaningless games? 

This applies to the injuries later in a season.  

I'm sure that plays into it where the team just shuts a player down but what I think is when a player is showing signs of an injury, does the trainer even talk to the player or check him out? It doesn't  seem that way. 

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think I read somewhere,  no team has had the amount of injured players as the Jets the last few years. It started I think when Gase showed up and has continued with JD and Saleh. By the last 3 games of 2021, this team looked like they had been dragged behind a truck. Now look at what happened with Becton. This guy wasn't walking around with a hitch in his step, we all saw the video. He was limping badly. He was trying to walk it off but even before the injury, his knee was not right and the trainers just took no notice. Now I know in this kind of job, you have to learn to play through pain but we are talking about a guy that missed an entire season because of the knee that was giving him trouble yesterday.  This should have at least been a red flag to sit him down. So now I am thinking. Could this be why this team has had the enormous  amount of injuries.  If this is how they treated Becton in a practice where he is clearly hurt and its  the same knee that kept him out all this time, is it so far fetched that this also happened to other players throughout  the season? 

Been thinking about this all day.  They’ve had some inkling that something was off with Becton for a few days now.  We were told “he’s just trying out a knee brace, seeing how it feels” (lol ok) to deal with “a little discomfort” (huh?)

And then, as you said, he was limping in clear pain moments before getting steamrolled in a basic pass block set.

None of this is to say that Becton himself ISN’T fragile or whatever, but the Jets staff clearly did something wrong.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the extreme fragility of Jets players over several administrations warrants at least a deeper look by the team.

Perhaps the hiring of an independent medical consulting firm to review the Jets records and activities the past few years, see if anything our staff is doing is compounding or contributing to the problem.

Ignoring it certainly won't fix it.

And if part of their review shows Jets players are just "post elimination malingerers", fine, that's an issue worth addressing as well, on several fronts.

I thought I read that they did change their staff this offseason (or at least their methods).  Is that wrong?  If it is, then absolutely, something needs to be looked into.

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Been thinking about this all day.  They’ve had some inkling that something was off with Becton for a few days now.  We were told “he’s just trying out a knee brace, seeing how it feels” (lol ok) to deal with “a little discomfort” (huh?)

And then, as you said, he was limping in clear pain moments before getting steamrolled in a basic pass block set.

None of this is to say that Becton himself ISN’T fragile or whatever, but the Jets staff clearly did something wrong.

Did they?  Your not going to proactively open up his knee after waiting on it a year.   Probably decided to see if it had healed. If not, a small bone chip is all he gave up to know.  

I believe that Robert Saleh, the CEO/Manager of the team should be held accountable in some degree for allowing Becton to continue practicing in pain.  You don't sit down and listen to a player that has a 'chip on his shoulder' if he tells you that he is doing well, especially in his situation. This has been a failure and an embarrassment from medical staff, line coach, personal trainer, Lafleur, Becton and Mr. Bob.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Did they?  Your not going to proactively open up his knee after waiting on it a year.   Probably decided to see if it had healed. If not, a small bone chip is all he gave up to know.  

I don't  think you do exploratory surgery unless it is to save a limb, but I just looked at the video again. At one point, Becton is limping after a drill and he stops, drops his helmet  on the ground, puts his hands on his hips and bends over. He was clearly not right at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I believe that Robert Saleh, the CEO/Manager of the team should be held accountable in some degree for allowing Becton to continue practicing in pain.  You don't sit down and listen to a player that has a 'chip on his shoulder' if he tells you that he is doing well, especially in his situation. This has been a failure and an embarrassment from medical staff, line coach, personal trainer, Lafleur, Becton and Mr. Bob.  

Yes,  and I think this is why this whole team is injured every season

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think you do exploratory surgery unless it is to save a limb, but I just looked at the video again. At one point, Becton is limping after a drill and he stops, drops his helmet  on the ground, puts his hands on his hips and bends over. He was clearly not right at that point. 

Oof.  That doesn’t sound great 

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I thought I read that they did change their staff this offseason (or at least their methods).  Is that wrong?  If it is, then absolutely, something needs to be looked into.

They added an entirely new department staffed by like 4 MDs and changed the off season practice intensity.  Bectons injury is more likely an anatomical weakness or a poorly treated original injury or just bad luck. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I just started a thread yesterday about the Jets medical staff which was merged.  

26 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I mean, yeah, I think there’s prima facie evidence that they ****ed up.  The guy was visibly hurt and they let him keep practicing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

They added an entirely new department staffed by like 4 MDs and changed the off season practice intensity.  Bectons injury is more likely an anatomical weakness or a poorly treated original injury or just bad luck. 

I thought I had heard that.  It’s also probably wrong to lump the Lawson injury in.  Achilles are freak occurrences. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the extreme fragility of Jets players over several administrations warrants at least a deeper look by the team.

Perhaps the hiring of an independent medical consulting firm to review the Jets records and activities the past few years, see if anything our staff is doing is compounding or contributing to the problem.

And if part of their review shows Jets players are just "post elimination malingerers", fine, that's an issue worth addressing as well, on several fronts.

Both Gase and Douglas have alluded to them "taking a deep dive" into the injury woes before. 

I'm not sure if anything came from that - but I think the limited reps in practice this summer could be one of their "solutions"

48 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Anyone you can come up with for a knee injury?

Becton was criticized for taking himself out of a game for a ding he felt in his knee.  Now he’s being criticized for not complaining and opting out for a -win in his knee?  And let’s blame the HC and CS while we’re at it?  
He got injured, it happens

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone you can come up with for a knee injury?

Becton was criticized for taking himself out of a game for a ding he felt in his knee.  Now he’s being criticized for not complaining and opting out for a -win in his knee?  And let’s blame the HC and CS while we’re at it?  
He got injured, it happens

I didn't  see anyone critique  Becton in this thread. It's  actually not really about Becton and more about how the Jets react to players that show clear signs of injury during practice. 

26 minutes ago, tfine said:

I’d look into the the quality of the turf….a lot of lower body injuries

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's the turf

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-stadiums-ranked/

Ranked best to worst

29) MetLife Stadium

MetLife Stadium opened in 2010, has the largest NFL stadium capacity at 82,500, and is the home of the New York Giants and New York Jets.

First off, you are in New Jersey, not New York. Second, MetLife now has a staggering reputation for ending player’s seasons. I don’t care if it was built yesterday; that is simply inexcusable.

The prices are just as insane as the drive to get to the stadium. Once inside, you are just hoping not to run across a feral cat. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Becton is unfortunately the guy who cried wolf.   He’s tapped out so often from being out of shape that when he was legit hurt nobody believed him.  I do think there is something wrong with the stadium turf.  Is it a coincidence that Becton was limping the day after he played there?   There are way too many injuries at the stadium.  

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Becton is unfortunately the guy who cried wolf.   He’s tapped out so often from being out of shape that when he was legit hurt nobody believed him.  I do think there is something wrong with the stadium turf.  Is it a coincidence that Becton was limping the day after he played there?   There are way too many injuries at the stadium.  

You can't  put this on Becton. It was so clear he was experiencing pain and it looked like he was pretty uncomfortable.  Someone should have seen this. I mean look at the video. Limps away, drops his helmet then bends over in pain. That shouldn't  be overlooked. 

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Field turf sucks in general. Why billionaire teams look to save money on that makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Jets are one of the least injured teams in pre-season so far... So this seems to be over-dramatic reaction to a guy that was recovering from a surgically repaired knee..

Other than that Reed tweeked his Hammy and Ty Johnson has something minor... McDermott is the other injury that seems to be minor but no true timetable. Fant and Ruckert are recovering from off-season surgeries...

I am not sure we can call this an epidemic THIS YEAR... sure they have a past but so far this year there is nothing alarming.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You can't  put this on Becton. It was so clear he was experiencing pain and it looked like he was pretty uncomfortable.  Someone should have seen this. I mean look at the video. Limps away, drops his helmet then bends over in pain. That shouldn't  be overlooked. 

Even if they caught it a day earlier the conclusion is the same... the kneecap too easily slipped from place and would need stablizing surgery which is season ending.

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Even if they caught it a day earlier the conclusion is the same... the kneecap too easily slipped from place and would need stablizing surgery which is season ending.

In this case,  yes. It just would have saved some additional pain and damage to his knee which is probably preferable by any player. The point is, this is not the case for every player and could keep some players on the field longer if they were more proactive. Saleh was saying he needed to get his knee going because he just played at MetLife.  That is what warm-ups are for.