The Jets and injuries the past few years. Did we just get a look at why they have so many.

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think I read somewhere,  no team has had the amount of injured players as the Jets the last few years. It started I think when Gase showed up and has continued with JD and Saleh. By the last 3 games of 2021, this team looked like they had been dragged behind a truck. Now look at what happened with Becton. This guy wasn't walking around with a hitch in his step, we all saw the video. He was limping badly. He was trying to walk it off but even before the injury, his knee was not right and the trainers just took no notice. Now I know in this kind of job, you have to learn to play through pain but we are talking about a guy that missed an entire season because of the knee that was giving him trouble yesterday.  This should have at least been a red flag to sit him down. So now I am thinking. Could this be why this team has had the enormous  amount of injuries.  If this is how they treated Becton in a practice where he is clearly hurt and its  the same knee that kept him out all this time, is it so far fetched that this also happened to other players throughout  the season? 

I still remember couple people here pointed out his knee buckling walking up on a podium. Rehabbed him for a year but decided against corrective surgery? If that really happen? Damn, that’s some negligent shit right there. Not sure it is but… 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I still remember couple people here pointed out his knee buckling walking up on a podium. Rehabbed him for a year but decided against corrective surgery? If that really happen? Damn, that’s some negligent sh*t right there. Not sure it is but… 

I think he had surgery in Sept actually. Didn't  notice the podium incident. That is pretty bad if true. 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think he had surgery in Sept actually. Didn't  notice the podium incident. That is pretty bad if true. 

I’m pretty sure some guys here mentioned it. Yes, he had surgery to remove bone fragments and clean up  the cartilage but don’t remember them doing a patella-patellar tendon re-alignment that seems to be what they are suggesting he needs or needed. I’m putting this together from pieces I thought I read, it’s hard to focus when Im eating 85% of the time I’m awake. Yes, I have cut back on my eating, thank you, 

• Haha 2

I believe that a condition for Douglas taking the Jets job, was that the ownership needed to upgrade the training and conditioning. How much they did? Who knows? But I have been on this site many times critical of the level of commitment given to the health and well being of their most prized assets.

Acquiring good talent in an organization is only a small piece of the puzzle. A corner piece for sure, but there have to be many more connective parts. Nutrition guidance based upon an individual regimen. There is a science piece to this also. And then prescriptive individual care. Based upon pure numbers of what we have witnessed in the past, the Jets appear woefully short in this area. I have previously detailed what the Jets staff looks like to a peer team. It was embarrassing. 

Great ownerships invests in the data, infrastructure and science to the well being of their players. Analytics is involved. But, you have to make a commitment to that investment and continue to self evaluate. By appearances and results, ownership does not want to do that.  

14 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think a big part of it is being eliminated from contention.   Why risk playing through an injury for meaningless games? 

This applies to the injuries later in a season.  

Exactly.  When elijah moore gets dinged up there is no reason to rush him back. 

There is no magic recipe that other teams have and the jets haven't figured out. It's random. 

The ravens last year, a great organization, first lost Dobbins for the season then lost gus Edwards then lost Bateman for half the year then lost their secondary and then lost Lamar Jackson. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

The Jets are one of the least injured teams in pre-season so far... So this seems to be over-dramatic reaction to a guy that was recovering from a surgically repaired knee..

My comment was specifically about the last several years.  Not preseason 2022.

EDIT:  What is your source that we are "least injured" so far?  I'm not even sure where one would look up that kind of comparative info for camp injuries.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Other than that Reed tweeked his Hammy and Ty Johnson has something minor... McDermott is the other injury that seems to be minor but no true timetable. Fant and Ruckert are recovering from off-season surgeries...

I am not sure we can call this an epidemic THIS YEAR... sure they have a past but so far this year there is nothing alarming.

We haven't played the first preseason game yet.  I wouldn't expect an "epidemic" at this point, this year.

56 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I still remember couple people here pointed out his knee buckling walking up on a podium. Rehabbed him for a year but decided against corrective surgery? If that really happen? Damn, that’s some negligent sh*t right there. Not sure it is but… 

Yeah, I remember that.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone you can come up with for a knee injury?

Becton was criticized for taking himself out of a game for a ding he felt in his knee.  Now he’s being criticized for not complaining and opting out for a -win in his knee?  And let’s blame the HC and CS while we’re at it?  
He got injured, it happens

This is the way it is around here. It has to be someone's fault.  Now that they can't criticize Becton on a daily basis any more, It's time to find another whipping boy.  Fire JD, fire Saleh, point to the left and to the right.  Blame blame blame.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is the way it is around here. It has to be someone's fault.  Now that they can't criticize Becton on a daily basis any more, It's time to find another whipping boy.  Fire JD, fire Saleh, point to the left and to the right.  Blame blame blame.  

Far too often.  There has to be blame placed somewhere.  And preferably to the fewest number of people.  One is best.  
Not one of these internet Dr can provide proof that 1.  Anyone on the Mets should have pulled Becton or 2.  That his knee was damaged for playing with pain or the knee was damaged and then he was limping in pain.

But we need to place blame. 

• WTF? 1

19 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

I thought I read that they did change their staff this offseason (or at least their methods).  Is that wrong?  If it is, then absolutely, something needs to be looked into.

Completely revamped the entire medical system and team last year

20 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think I read somewhere,  no team has had the amount of injured players as the Jets the last few years. It started I think when Gase showed up and has continued with JD and Saleh. By the last 3 games of 2021, this team looked like they had been dragged behind a truck. Now look at what happened with Becton. This guy wasn't walking around with a hitch in his step, we all saw the video. He was limping badly. He was trying to walk it off but even before the injury, his knee was not right and the trainers just took no notice. Now I know in this kind of job, you have to learn to play through pain but we are talking about a guy that missed an entire season because of the knee that was giving him trouble yesterday.  This should have at least been a red flag to sit him down. So now I am thinking. Could this be why this team has had the enormous  amount of injuries.  If this is how they treated Becton in a practice where he is clearly hurt and its  the same knee that kept him out all this time, is it so far fetched that this also happened to other players throughout  the season? 

I totally agree More Cowbell, why didn't at least any of the offensive line coaches walk up to Becton and inquire if he was alright? The kid's walking around in the video looking like his legs were shaped like a K and not 1 person can show any concern?

I always remember an interview with ex P Dave Jennings where he said the worse you draft the mores holes you have to fill with FAs.  FAs tend to be lesser athletes and/or older than draftees which can skew your injury totals higher

We fit that bill over the last 10 seasons.  

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It was during his OTA interview.... the one that raised the hub bub about the big bust tshirt 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Far too often.  There has to be blame placed somewhere.  And preferably to the fewest number of people.  One is best.  
Not one of these internet Dr can provide proof that 1.  Anyone on the Mets should have pulled Becton or 2.  That his knee was damaged for playing with pain or the knee was damaged and then he was limping in pain.

Buck Showalter seemed to have a good alibi at the time. 

On a serious  note, go look at the video of him doing drills before he was injured and tell me he looked fine. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Buck Showalter seemed to have a good alibi at the time. 

On a serious  note, go look at the video of him doing drills before he was injured and tell me he looked fine. 

Lol, Mets

i have no idea, they’ve said his knee has sore and there’s been pain.  Doesn’t mean can’t be related but to me being sore doesn’t lead to a broken/cracked/chipped whatever bone.   I’d agree a whole lot more if it were a soft tissue, ligament type injury

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

I totally agree More Cowbell, why didn't at least any of the offensive line coaches walk up to Becton and inquire if he was alright? The kid's walking around in the video looking like his legs were shaped like a K and not 1 person can show any concern?

What are you talking about?  You think his legs were bent out by stress and then poof, one broke?  And someone needs to take blame for it?  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, Mets

i have no idea, they’ve said his knee has sore and there’s been pain.  Doesn’t mean can’t be related but to me being sore doesn’t lead to a broken/cracked/chipped whatever bone.   I’d agree a whole lot more if it were a soft tissue, ligament type injury

After doing some individual drills, Becton had a noticeable limp, tried to walk it off, took off his helmet and dropped it on the ground, and bent over with his hands on his hips. That would normally indicate he had a lot of discomfort.  

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

After doing some individual drills, Becton had a noticeable limp, tried to walk it off, took off his helmet and dropped it on the ground, and bent over with his hands on his hips. That would normally indicate he had a lot of discomfort.  

I saw the videos.  I said he’s been in pain.  He added a brace because of the pain.  Injuries happen.  Bones crack.  

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

The Jets are one of the least injured teams in pre-season so far... So this seems to be over-dramatic reaction to a guy that was recovering from a surgically repaired knee..

Other than that Reed tweeked his Hammy and Ty Johnson has something minor... McDermott is the other injury that seems to be minor but no true timetable. Fant and Ruckert are recovering from off-season surgeries...

I am not sure we can call this an epidemic THIS YEAR... sure they have a past but so far this year there is nothing alarming.

You could have probably said that about this time last year too and we know how that turned out.

With regards to the OP, and separating it from Becton, there have been some weird decisions made from the staff, almost like they don't know what they're doing. Only time will tell how the changes made to the med staff will affect the team. So far, doesn't feel any more groundbreaking than any other year.

• Upvote 2

not disputing last few years.  Only talking this c year as the jets just implemented or upgraded  the injury prevention staff. 

I just went through the nfl injury list.  106 listed as IR or out. 29 of those are IR. Understanding some of these are leftovers from last year and covid related.

Becton is the only one we have currently listed as our but expected to move to IR.

I didn't count up questionables, there were just way too many. 

Jets has a total of 7 on the list which was one of the better teams. 

Just now, PorP said:

not disputing last few years.  Only talking this c year as the jets just implemented or upgraded  the injury prevention staff. 

I just went through the nfl injury list.  106 listed as IR or out. 29 of those are IR. Understanding some of these are leftovers from last year and covid related.

Becton is the only one we have currently listed as our but expected to move to IR.

I didn't count up questionables, there were just way too many. 

Jets has a total of 7 on the list which was one of the better teams. 

Apologies. Here is the link

https://www.espn.com/nfl/injuries

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I saw the videos.  I said he’s been in pain.  He added a brace because of the pain.  Injuries happen.  Bones crack.  

So if Becton was your son and he was walking around like this during practice before getting the season ending injury,  would you tell your son, no big deal, injuries happen, Bones Crack?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

image.png.5da2eae7ef7eaa9305ed05d91a33a418.png

• Haha 1

Really hard to read about how this was the Jets fault.  This kid knows damn well that carrying 400 lbs is a big strain on your body.   Knees, heart, back.  Just not meant to carry that much weight.  He couldn’t keep his weight under control despite all the best efforts of the jets and presumably bechton himself.  That knee was never holding up whether it be this week or two weeks from now.  It’s a shame but it is what it is.  Took a big swing in his upside and we rolled craps.  Time to move on.  

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So if Becton was your son and he was walking around like this during practice before getting the season ending injury,  would you tell your son, no big deal, injuries happen, Bones Crack?

Yeah, that’s what I would take from this.  

As I said, find a stitch of proof that Bectons injury has anything to do with the CS, would have been avoided before blaming people.  

I made a simple comment 

If it’s true that the Jets have ranked at or near the top with regard to injuries over recent years..consecutively..(measured in different ways)..and let’s say it’s attributed to “luck”..-> bad luck.

what are the freakin odds?!

good to see our Jets down the list..currently..with regard to the # of preseason injuries

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Imo this whole exchange is flawed.

1, if Becton stops before the injury,  is he any less out the rest of the season? No... not at all... that failure happened last year when "they" decided to rehab instead of surgery. That "new" not new injury was not ageing well no matter when he went down. 

2, why are we treating players like 3 yr Olds and what happens to them is staffs fault?  I seem to remember when I did play that I had a certain amount of accountability for my own health and communicating that to coaching.

3, I would have told him football has inherent dangers when he was younger and long before the nfl regardless of the team name or name of the head coach.