NFL, Roger Goodell want at least year ban for ‘predatory’ Deshaun Watson

Bronx

https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/nfl-roger-goodell-want-at-least-year-ban-for-predatory-deshaun-watson/

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell did not mince words when asked why the league is still pushing for Deshaun Watson to be given at least a one-year suspension, using words such as “egregious” and “predatory” regarding the actions committed by the Cleveland quarterback. 

Asked why the NFL filed a formal appeal of Watson’s six-game suspension, Goodell quickly referred to the evidence against Watson, whom 24 different women accused of sexual assault and inappropriate conduct during massage sessions in separate civil lawsuits. 

“We’ve seen the evidence, she was very clear about the evidence, she reinforced the evidence,” said Goodell, referring to the Aug. 1 decision made by Sue L. Robinson, the league’s disciplinary officer. “There were multiple violations that were egregious, and it was predatory behavior. Those are things that we always felt were important for us to address in a way that’s responsible.”

Goodell, speaking at the owners’ meetings Tuesday in Bloomington reiterated the league’s stance when justifying the appeal, maintaining that Watson committed four distinct violations of the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy.  

“Either party could certainly challenge and appeal that and that was something we thought was our right to do. … So we decided it was the right thing to do.” 

The NFL previously appointed Peter C. Harvey, who formerly served as New Jersey’s attorney general, to hear the appeal of Watson’s suspension. Harvey’s decision, when reached, will not be subject to further appeal. Goodell said he doesn’t have a sense when Harvey will reach a decision.

The league is believed to be pushing for an indefinite suspension for Watson, which would extend at least one year. ESPN reported that the NFL also is seeking a monetary fine, with Watson having signed a five-year, fully-guaranteed $230 million contract with the Browns upon being traded from the Texans. 

In Robinson’s decision to suspend Watson just six games, she referenced the league’s precedents and current policy, despite describing the behavior as “more egregious than any before reviewed by the NFL.”

All along I’ve thought indefinite/at least a year for Watson. Be interesting to see if this is all setting the stage for Watson to accept the 12 games and $10M fine and let him and the union claim some small victory, though. 

• Upvote 2

This post has nothing to do with the merits of Watson getting 6 games or a full year suspension.  
However I find it troubling that the NFL and Players Association hire an impartial investigator, she makes her ruling and now the NFL is critical of her ruling. Just end the charade and let Goodell decide the discipline.

30 minutes ago, slats said:

All along I’ve thought indefinite/at least a year for Watson. Be interesting to see if this is all setting the stage for Watson to accept the 12 games and $10M fine and let him and the union claim some small victory, though. 

NFL should never have offered that. He should be banned for life.

26 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This post has nothing to do with the merits of Watson getting 6 games or a full year suspension.  
However I find it troubling that the NFL and Players Association hire an impartial investigator, she makes her ruling and now the NFL is critical of her ruling. Just end the charade and let Goodell decide the discipline.

Agreed.  Especially considering how Goodell and the NFL has handled this stuff in the past.  Big Ben raped a woman.  He got a 6 game suspension reduced to 4 and that was cool.   Snyder has been accused of rape and has literally created a culture of objectifying, marginalizing, mistreating and using woman sexually with in his org. and that's cool.  Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, cool cool cool.

Watson?  Not cool.  And I dont really understand how 6, vs. 8 vs. 17 changes anything.  Like, does someone actually feel relief or justice because he doesnt get to play a couple of more games?  Bizarre situation. I dont have the answers.  It's just all very strange and circus like at this point. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed.  Especially considering how Goodell and the NFL has handled this stuff in the past.

How they handled things in the past is why things were changed for the future.

This process was collectively bargained.  Including the right to appeal, and the process for such an appeal.

Maybe let the new process do it's job.

Big Ben raped a woman.  He got a 6 game suspension reduced to 4 and that was cool.   Snyder has been accused of rape and has literally created a culture of objectifying, marginalizing, mistreating and using woman sexually with in his org. and that's cool.  Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, cool cool cool.

No, none of these things were or are "cool". 

Which is in part why the process itself has changed.

The NFL is not a court, it's a business.  They have limits on what they can do.

Watson?  Not cool.  And I dont really understand how 6, vs. 8 vs. 17 changes anything.  Like, does someone actually feel relief or justice because he doesnt get to play a couple of more games?  Bizarre situation. I dont have the answers.  It's just all very strange and circus like at this point.

White Knighting for a serial sexual predator is a bad look.  I hope that's not what you're doing here.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Troubling?  What the ****?  I am pretty sure this was part of a deal betwen the NFL and NFLPA that they would allow the initial ruling to be made by the "disciplinary officer"  Robinson.  That decision could be appealed.  Or do you think that only Watson should have the right of appeal? 

Under normal labor law circumstances Goodell would be able to decide and on appeal he would merely have to prove that his decision was reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

i think it stays at 6 games. at most they add maybe 2 games and a big fine.

if the NFL really wanted a year or indefinite suspension Goodall or one of his lackeys ( ex. assistant Com, VP of whatever... ) would hear the appeal but instead, they get a ex AG. i think he agrees with Robinsons ruling and gives the 6 games for the same reason she did. remember he is not going to do his own investigation; he is going off of what Robinson said and she wanted to give him more but couldn't for the reasons she gave.

then the NFL says they tried. they wanted the big punishment but 2 respected officers of the law both ruled for 6 games. and i believe the NFL doesn't want Watson suspended longer than that. i think they told teams that if he wasnt charged in criminal court that it was ok to trade and give up a bunch of 1st rd picks. that they wouldn't punished him big. its no coincidence that he doesn't get traded for over a year then as soon as he isnt charged he gets traded within a week or 2.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, doitny said:

i think it stays at 6 games. at most they add maybe 2 games and a big fine.

if the NFL really wanted a year or indefinite suspension Goodall or one of his lackeys ( ex. assistant Com, VP of whatever... ) would hear the appeal but instead, they get a ex AG. i think he agrees with Robinsons ruling and gives the 6 games for the same reason she did. remember he is not going to do his own investigation; he is going off of what Robinson said and she wanted to give him more but couldn't for the reasons she gave.

then the NFL says they tried. they wanted the big punishment but 2 respected officers of the law both ruled for 6 games. and i believe the NFL doesn't want Watson suspended longer than that. i think they told teams that if he wasnt charged in criminal court that it was ok to trade and give up a bunch of 1st rd picks. that they wouldn't punished him big. its no coincidence that he doesn't get traded for over a year then as soon as he isnt charged he gets traded within a week or 2.

Browns are at the Texans week #12. I think that’s why the 12 games was thrown out there in the first place, to avoid the circus that Deshaun Watson in Houston might become. We’ll see what happens, but my feeling is that 12 games will be the minimum. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This process was collectively bargained.  Including the right to appeal, and the process for such an appeal.

White Knighting for a serial sexual predator is a bad look.  I hope that's not what you're doing here.

I was actually going to respond to you but then I read this comment and will refrain from what I'd really like to say in response and just leave with you a nice solid, GFY and move about my day.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yeah I'm not sure why people keep bringing up things that happened over a decade ago when the process has been overhauled multiple times and collectively bargained.....the process is still a joke but what happened to Ben 12 years ago means nothing. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Troubling?  What the ****?  I am pretty sure this was part of a deal betwen the NFL and NFLPA that they would allow the initial ruling to be made by the "disciplinary officer"  Robinson.  That decision could be appealed.  Or do you think that only Watson should have the right of appeal? 

Under normal labor law circumstances Goodell would be able to decide and on appeal he would merely have to prove that his decision was reasonable. 

My problem is Goodell gets to handpick the person who hears the appeal. That's ridiculous .  He's already on record critical of the penalty.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

My problem is Goodell gets to handpick the person who hears the appeal. That's ridiculous .  He's already on record critical of the penalty.

I agree that it seems like an unfair process - but it was collectively bargained, right?

The players agreed to it. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It's in the CBA.  Appeal to be heard of Commissioner or his designee.  I am sure that Watson can appeal that decision.  IIRC, they are bound by the factual determinations of Robinson, but not her penalty.  As I said, in normal circumstances, the boss decides the facts and the penalty and then the employee can appeal, so this is not some unusual deal where the Man is stepping all over the little guy.