NFL, Roger Goodell want at least year ban for ‘predatory’ Deshaun Watson

Bronx

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I was actually going to respond to you but then I read this comment and will refrain from what I'd really like to say in response and just leave with you a nice solid, GFY and move about my day.

I don't think I will GFM, thanks.

When someone e-white knights a sexual predator, by (for example) failing to understand why people would want that predator punished, and/or failing to understand why the large number of alleged victims would matter in determining punishment, they should likely expect to get pushback.

Enjoy your day.

• Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think I will GFM, thanks.

When someone e-white knights a sexual predator, by (for example) failing to understand why people would want that predator punished, and/or failing to understand why the large number of alleged victims would matter in determining punishment, they should likely expect to get pushback.

Enjoy your day.

I wasn’t defending him dickwad, I was asking questions about the process because I don’t understand.  He should be banned for life. 

I repeat, GFY.  

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed.  Especially considering how Goodell and the NFL has handled this stuff in the past.  Big Ben raped a woman.  He got a 6 game suspension reduced to 4 and that was cool.   Snyder has been accused of rape and has literally created a culture of objectifying, marginalizing, mistreating and using woman sexually with in his org. and that's cool.  Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, cool cool cool.

Watson?  Not cool.  And I dont really understand how 6, vs. 8 vs. 17 changes anything.  Like, does someone actually feel relief or justice because he doesnt get to play a couple of more games?  Bizarre situation. I dont have the answers.  It's just all very strange and circus like at this point. 

The way they handled rape/sexual assault accusations in the past was way too lenient, and good on the NFL for changing that. Kraft, as embarrassing as it was, was never accused of doing anything non-consensual.

As for 6 v. 8 v. 17 changes things - 6 v 8 doesn't. An entire year off is hard to come back from at full speed, especially after sitting a year voluntarily. But the NFL is actually asking for more than that: at least a year, with reinstatement to be determined by the commissioner on application - that is, watson will probably need to show remorse and change to be allowed back.

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's in the CBA.  Appeal to be heard of Commissioner or his designee.  I am sure that Watson can appeal that decision.  IIRC, they are bound by the factual determinations of Robinson, but not her penalty.  As I said, in normal circumstances, the boss decides the facts and the penalty and then the employee can appeal, so this is not some unusual deal where the Man is stepping all over the little guy.

Nope. This decision is final; there's no appeal. Only thing left after this is a potential lawsuit by Watson claiming the NFL violated the CBA, which would go nowhere

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The way they handled rape/sexual assault accusations in the past was way too lenient, and good on the NFL for changing that. Kraft, as embarrassing as it was, was never accused of doing anything non-consensual.

As for 6 v. 8 v. 17 changes things - 6 v 8 doesn't. An entire year off is hard to come back from at full speed, especially after sitting a year voluntarily. But the NFL is actually asking for more than that: at least a year, with reinstatement to be determined by the commissioner on application - that is, watson will probably need to show remorse and change to be allowed back.

Nope. This decision is final; there's no appeal. Only thing left after this is a potential lawsuit by Watson claiming the NFL violated the CBA, which would go nowhere

I keep forgetting that the public sector provides way more protection for employees.

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

This post has nothing to do with the merits of Watson getting 6 games or a full year suspension.  
However I find it troubling that the NFL and Players Association hire an impartial investigator, she makes her ruling and now the NFL is critical of her ruling. Just end the charade and let Goodell decide the discipline.

The NFL Is fine with her findings it’s her discipline that they have a problem with

The NFLPA negotiated this CBA, they wanted investigations handled by outside counsel and wanted the ability to appeal all decisions for the benefit of their players.  That was what they wanted and negotiated.  
What’s good for the goose…

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I wasn’t defending him dickwad,

Hence why I posted:

"White Knighting for a serial sexual predator is a bad look.  I hope that's not what you're doing here."

Giving you the opportunity to clarify your viewpoint.

An opportunity you ignored so you could tell me to GFY and so so you could call me a dickwad. 

I was asking questions about the process because I don’t understand.  He should be banned for life. 

Then you should have simply said that, instead of questioning why the number of victims mattered, or why people would care if he missed games/got punished.  

Simply saying "I don't understand this process" would have been quite clear, and would have likely gone without comment.

I repeat, GFY.  

Repeat it all you want.  Your choice of wanton immaturity and rejection of civil discourse has no effect on me.

As you can clearly see, I am not, in fact, GFM.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

My problem is Goodell gets to handpick the person who hears the appeal. That's ridiculous .  He's already on record critical of the penalty.

As others have said, that's what they collectively bargained for so the NFLPA can't bitch about the process.

But you're right, the reality is, the guy who Goodell has picked to decide the appeal, is a lawyer who frequently does work for the NFL.

If your an attorney and you do work for the NFL, that's a client you'd like to keep.  A good way to keep them as a client is to keep the guy who runs the league happy.  So if Goodell has made public statements about what he wants to see as punishment...well...then....

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I keep forgetting that the public sector provides way more protection for employees.

It does, but we also have to deal with the public. Union and state protections are wonderful things but if I have to hear one more person demand that everything I do be their business my neck is gonna explode through my feet.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Hence why I posted:

"White Knighting for a serial sexual predator is a bad look.  I hope that's not what you're doing here."

Giving you the opportunity to clarify your viewpoint.

An opportunity you ignored so you could tell me to GFY and so so you could call me a dickwad. 

Then you should have simply said that, instead of questioning why the number of victims mattered, or why people would care if he missed games/got punished.  

Simply saying "I don't understand this process" would have been quite clear, and would have likely gone without comment.

Repeat it all you want.  Your choice of wanton immaturity and rejection of civil discourse has no effect on me.

As you can clearly see, I am not, in fact, GFM.

Fu Middle Finger GIF by Tony-Jazz

14 hours ago, doitny said:

just wondering if he gets suspended does the preseason count? cause he is scheduled to start this Saturday. 

Brady played in the preseason when he was suspended.  At some point after the last preseason game, he had to leave the facility until his suspension was over (e.g. Monday after week 4).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, doitny said:

just wondering if he gets suspended does the preseason count? cause he is scheduled to start this Saturday. 

Usually suspensions begin once the regular season starts. The player is normally allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason games (I remember this from Chris Herndon a few years back, as an example).  However, it appears in the case of Watson that the NFL may not want him to even suit up for preseason games, so there is a bit of a chess match going on between the Browns and the league office in regards to this...

"With speculation rampant that appeals officer Peter Harvey may suspend Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson indefinitely before Friday night, blocking him from playing in the preseason opener at Jacksonville, the Browns made a compelling chess move.

They announced on Wednesday that Watson will start the Week One preseason game.

It left zero doubt about Cleveland’s plans, even though the team had no obligation to tell anyone what they intend to do. And it feels like an effort by the Browns to dare Harvey to act sooner than later, so that the Browns will be able to plan accordingly.

Harvey may be waiting as long as possible to issue a suspension that would block Watson from playing Friday night, given the possibility that the NFL Players Association will rush to court for an order allowing Watson to play. If, for example, Harvey issues his ruling just before 5:00 p.m. ET on Friday, the NFLPA will have roughly 120 minutes to get a temporary restraining order.

Regardless, everyone now knows that Watson will play on Friday night. Unless Harvey decides that he can’t — and if the NFLPA is unable to block the enforcement of that ruling in court."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/10/browns-spark-fascinating-chess-match-with-peter-harvey-over-deshaun-watson/

• Upvote 1

The guy's a scumbag and he should be banned for life. With that said, I'm very aware of the fact that my feelings have nothing to do with what will happen. Currently, I have the option of keeping him in my keeper 2QB league for a mere 13th round pick. It would be like winning a smallish lottery for my fantasy team if he were to stay at 6 games, but if they move it to 12 or more, then I would have to look elsewhere for my keeper and I don't have very good options. So either way, I need this damn situation to be clarified in the next two weeks cuz that's when keepers need to be in by.