Training Camp, Shmaining Camp!

McNeil

Last year we lose Lawson for the season in a devastating blow to the defense & team.

Becton goes down this year.

Countless times NFL teams sustain season-ending injuries to key starters in training camp.

In the famous words of A.I. The Answer, Allen Iverson: "We talking about practice. Not a game. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game."

It just sucks losing great talent before the season even starts.

Likely not, but wonder if there's a better approach to it all.

• WTF? 1

Except the guy who got hurt didn't really take his offseason training regimen all that seriously.  He came into camp a lard-ass (despite all of his smack talk) and tried to work his way into shape.  When it's a guy like Lawson then you feel bad.  But Becton let his mouth (rather than his play) do the talking so is it really that surprising that he was the one who got hurt?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's football. People get injured. Always have, always will.

What makes no sense is:

Last season, Joe Douglas signed Morgan Moses as an insurance policy even before Becton got injured.

A year later, with Becton rehabbing from a devastating knee injury, Douglas shows zero sense of urgency to sign a similar insurance policy at the OT position.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Say, whatever happened to the much ballyhooed NFL campaign to research better ways to prevent injuries?

We live in a world where new substances, (including shock-absorbing substances), are coming to market all the time.  It's called Materials Science and colleges have whole departments devoted to this.  And huge labs owned by private firms.   That's not to mention advances in many other fields which very possibly could make the game less injury-prone.

Are the NFL helmets still hard shell, to administer maximum injury-inducing power to the opponent being hit?  They are?  Doesn't sound like much is being done, despite the big PR campaigns.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don't worry, in about 10 years training camp will just be mental reps with the way the CBAs have been trending.

With the way the world is going football will be declared too violent and too non inclusive and the game will be played virtually with joysticks or VR headsets in the metaverse.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Say, whatever happened to the much ballyhooed NFL campaign to research better ways to prevent injuries?

We live in a world where new substances, (including shock-absorbing substances), are coming to market all the time.  It's called Materials Science and colleges have whole departments devoted to this.  And huge labs owned by private firms.   That's not to mention advances in many other fields which very possibly could make the game less injury-prone.

Are the NFL helmets still hard shell, to administer maximum injury-inducing power to the opponent being hit?  They are?  Doesn't sound like much is being done, despite the big PR campaigns.

So what do hi tech helmets do with preventing knee injuries ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, McNeil said:

Last year we lose Lawson for the season in a devastating blow to the defense & team.

Countless times NFL teams sustain season-ending injuries to key starters in training camp.

In the famous words of A.I. The Answer, Allen Iverson: "We talking about practice. Not a game. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game."

The real solution...

Pussification!

200.gif

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

The players are usually the ones against it. There's been several helmets that have reduced concussions, but they often 'restrict' players in some way such as being able to turn their heads fully as they can with the current helmets. The players absolutely detest those giant helmets they are using in practice. EVERYONE complains whenever they implement a rule that reduces contact despite it showing a reduction in injuries. 

It's not the NFL who is holding back safety measures. Star players on the field more means more revenue for them. Players perceive it as a competitive disadvantage (even though all players would deal with it) which costs them money in their contract. Fans hate most of the changes as well. 

So in this 1 particular instance, between the fans, players and NFL.. the NFL is likely the least hypocritical. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, McNeil said:

Great Idea! Maybe my Fire Department will implement this approach!

cohen baron GIF

Not.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Except the guy who got hurt didn't really take his offseason training regimen all that seriously.  He came into camp a lard-ass (despite all of his smack talk) and tried to work his way into shape.  When it's a guy like Lawson then you feel bad.  But Becton let his mouth (rather than his play) do the talking so is it really that surprising that he was the one who got hurt?

Not sure how you tie a patellar avulsion fracture to work ethic, but I’m willing to listen.  Do you have medical training supporting this position?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not sure how you tie a patellar avulsion fracture to work ethic, but I’m willing to listen.  Do you have medical training supporting this position?

You're right.  Mekhi's plan to lose the excess weight in training camp (rather than the offseason) was brilliant!  And I'm sure excess weight doesn't put a strain on a person's knees.  

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're right.  Mekhi's plan to lose the excess weight in training camp (rather than the offseason) was brilliant!  And I'm sure excess weight doesn't put a strain on a person's knees.  

There are plenty of people that are much more over weight that dont have patella avulsions.   And he injured himself in training camp after losing the weight- are you suggesting that his injury is due to his prior excess weight bc that really makes no sense.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are plenty of people that are much more over weight that dont have patella avulsions.   And he injured himself in training camp after losing the weight- are you suggesting that his injury is due to his prior excess weight bc that really makes no sense.

Maybe he wasn't as spry as he could've been on the play he got injured?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe he wasn't as spry as he could've been on the play he got injured?

Wasn't as "Spry"?   Seriously?   

Definition of spry

: able to move quickly, easily, and lightly : nimble

I think you're really reaching to make this injury about his weight.  He may be injury prone but that wasnt his problem in college and he played at the same weight then.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don't worry, in about 10 years training camp will just be mental reps with the way the CBAs have been trending.

If it prevents us from losing a Lawson or a Becton before the season even fricking starts - fine by me.

14 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Wasn't as "Spry"?   Seriously?   

Definition of spry

: able to move quickly, easily, and lightly : nimble

I think you're really reaching to make this injury about his weight.  He may be injury prone but that wasnt his problem in college and he played at the same weight then.  

Yes, spry.  What's so hard to understand?  

As for "Seriously?", I think that applies to your point about his weight not being a problem for him in college.  Do you really need me to tell you that the competition level in the NFL is a lot higher than it is in college?

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes, spry.  What's so hard to understand?  

As for "Seriously?", I think that applies to your point about his weight not being a problem for him in college.  Do you really need me to tell you that the competition level in the NFL is a lot higher than it is in college?

I saw the video of the injury-he engaged with the D lineman and his knee gave out.  Not sure what being more nimble would have done for him there but whatever.

As for his weight in college, he wasnt injured and dominated who he played against.  Thats why he went so high in the draft.   Im just not getting your argument.    Have a great day

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The players are usually the ones against it. There's been several helmets that have reduced concussions, but they often 'restrict' players in some way such as being able to turn their heads fully as they can with the current helmets. The players absolutely detest those giant helmets they are using in practice. EVERYONE complains whenever they implement a rule that reduces contact despite it showing a reduction in injuries. 

It's not the NFL who is holding back safety measures. Star players on the field more means more revenue for them. Players perceive it as a competitive disadvantage (even though all players would deal with it) which costs them money in their contract. Fans hate most of the changes as well. 

So in this 1 particular instance, between the fans, players and NFL.. the NFL is likely the least hypocritical. 

...and these same players who are against it 'now' in ten years will be suing the NFL for Billions of dollars. U'd think the NFL would have players sign waivers like you and I sign before bungie jumping or climbing on a merry-go-round.

'Sever CTE is to be expected and I promise to never sue the NFL'.

Stuff like that!

I'd like to see these cats go back to leather helmets. You wouldn't see guys lower their heads like a battering ram anymore.

In some cases the injuries in TC allow for the team to make the proper adjustments before the actual game starts instead of the player getting hurt 5 minutes into the first game when making adjustments are harder. To me it seems like Becton's injury was either going to happen during training camp or week one like it did last year.

So I consider training camp to actually be useful in that it not only helps players practice but if there's any problems (Injuries included) they can be resolved before the actual season starts.

As for Lawson, using his injury as an example of anything is like using Tom Brady as a reason to draft you QB in the later rounds. It's an outlier.

• Sympathy 1