Training Camp, Shmaining Camp!

McNeil

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

think you're really reaching to make this injury about his weight.  He may be injury prone but that wasnt his problem in college and he played at the same weight then.  

I don't think it's farfetched at all to suggest that if Becton spent the offseason training hard and strengthening that knee instead of getting fat, he could have potentially avoided the most recent injury.

Maybe a crash diet in the final 6 weeks before training camp wasn't the best decision on his part?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're right.  Mekhi's plan to lose the excess weight in training camp (rather than the offseason) was brilliant!  And I'm sure excess weight doesn't put a strain on a person's knees.  

So why do super fit athletes that train religiously still get injuries. The narrative here that Becton a 360# + beast is fat and lazy and only has himself to blame for his injuries - is pretty comical and very reflective of today's media sensationalism and perceived societal norms. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I don't think it's farfetched at all to suggest that if Becton spent the offseason training hard and strengthening that knee instead of getting fat, he could have potentially avoided the most recent injury.

Maybe a crash diet in the final 6 weeks before training camp wasn't the best decision on his part?

Who says he wasn't training and strengthening the knee . 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hex said:

In some cases the injuries in TC allow for the team to make the proper adjustments before the actual game starts instead of the player getting hurt 5 minutes into the first game when making adjustments are harder. To me it seems like Becton's injury was either going to happen during training camp or week one like it did last year.

So I consider training camp to actually be useful in that it not only helps players practice but if there's any problems (Injuries included) they can be resolved before the actual season starts.

As for Lawson, using his injury as an example of anything is like using Tom Brady as a reason to draft you QB in the later rounds. It's an outlier.

you beat me to it.

there are going to be some decent and even good players available in the coming weeks in TC cuts. its better to know we need a starting RT now instead of thinking Becton is fine cause he played all the preseason games. by the time week one starts all the better Tackles will be signed by other teams.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So why do super fit athletes that train religiously still get injuries. The narrative here that Becton a 360# + beast is fat and lazy and only has himself to blame for his injuries - is pretty comical and very reflective of today's media sensationalism and perceived societal norms. 

Of course injuries can happen to anyone.  The point is that a fatter, out-of-shape athlete is probably more likely to get injured.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I saw the video of the injury-he engaged with the D lineman and his knee gave out.  Not sure what being more nimble would have done for him there but whatever.

As for his weight in college, he wasnt injured and dominated who he played against.  Thats why he went so high in the draft.   Im just not getting your argument.    Have a great day

A lot of college players can get away with stuff that won't fly in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Showing up to mandatory minicamp at almost 400 lbs would not be my definition of a successful rehab, nor would it be my recommendation for “strengthening the knee”, but I’m not a doctor.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are plenty of people that are much more over weight that dont have patella avulsions.   And he injured himself in training camp after losing the weight- are you suggesting that his injury is due to his prior excess weight bc that really makes no sense.

I kinda feel like training camp might be a bit more strenuous than sitting in an office chair 8 hours a day. I'm not sure people who wash themselves with a stick are making many NFL rosters. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are plenty of people that are much more over weight that dont have patella avulsions.   And he injured himself in training camp after losing the weight- are you suggesting that his injury is due to his prior excess weight bc that really makes no sense.

49 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I kinda feel like training camp might be a bit more strenuous than sitting in an office chair 8 hours a day. I'm not sure people who wash themselves with a stick are making many NFL rosters. 

Plus being overweight probably weakened his knees in the first place.  But "keep fvcking that chicken", Bowles Movement.  

50 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Showing up to mandatory minicamp at almost 400 lbs would not be my definition of a successful rehab, nor would it be my recommendation for “strengthening the knee”, but I’m not a doctor.

There were videos of him working out with a personal trainer . The guy is 6'7 and has a massive frame so even at 400# its not like he's 100 pounds overweight. Lots of players put on weight in the offseason knowing they will lose weight during the hot days of camp . The constant witch hunt about this guys weight is ridiculous, its unfortunate he got hurt , its part of the sport.  Did people accuse Lawson of being out of shape last year when he tore his achilles ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of course injuries can happen to anyone.  The point is that a fatter, out-of-shape athlete is probably more likely to get injured.

And I'm sure that "fatter out of shape athlete" can do more than most here typing on this forum at his current weight.

So I guess Connor Mcdermott was fat and out of shape too , or does that narrative only hold for player fans collectively have a distaste for. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Then stop trying to judge how he trains or gets in shape for his profession - as you have no clue sitting behind your keyboard. 

Saleh talked about how Becton's weight is "getting down" in camp.  Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this but I don't think a HC would say something like that about a guy who already was in the proper shape.  Mekhi may have been injured last year but that was no excuse to not go on a diet.  Plus, with all his talking, he deserves every bit of grief that he gets.  And I was (and still am) rooting for him.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/mekhi-bectons-season-for-redemption-starts-on-jets-pup-list/

“Mekhi’s been really good over the past 40 days,” Saleh said in an interview with CBS Sports HQ. “He’s been in the building every day. He’s been putting in the work. He’s got no restrictions from my understanding with regards to the knee. His weight’s getting down. He looks really good, and we’re really excited about the direction he’s heading.’’ 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh talked about how Becton's weight is "getting down" in camp.  Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this but I don't think a HC would say something like that about a guy who already was in the proper shape.  Mekhi may have been injured last year but that was no excuse to not go on a diet.  Plus, with all his talking, he deserves every bit of grief that he gets.  And I was (and still am) rooting for him.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/mekhi-bectons-season-for-redemption-starts-on-jets-pup-list/

“Mekhi’s been really good over the past 40 days,” Saleh said in an interview with CBS Sports HQ. “He’s been in the building every day. He’s been putting in the work. He’s got no restrictions from my understanding with regards to the knee. His weight’s getting down. He looks really good, and we’re really excited about the direction he’s heading.’’ 

He said that because he was asked about incessantly by the media , plus as I mentioned here before its not uncommon for players to come into camp heavier as they lose weight during the hot humid days of TC and pre season. The guy was unfortunate to have a knee injury last year , as anyone who's ever had a knee/leg/foot injury knows its very rare to go a long time with out reinjury especially if your participating if a contact sport like Football. 

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He said that because he was asked about incessantly by the media , plus as I mentioned here before its not uncommon for players to come into camp heavier as they lose weight during the hot humid days of TC and pre season. The guy was unfortunate to have a knee injury last year , as anyone who's ever had a knee/leg/foot injury knows its very rare to go a long time with out reinjury especially if your participating if a contact sport like Football. 

Or if they don't want to diet.

59 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

There were videos of him working out with a personal trainer . The guy is 6'7 and has a massive frame so even at 400# its not like he's 100 pounds overweight. Lots of players put on weight in the offseason knowing they will lose weight during the hot days of camp . The constant witch hunt about this guys weight is ridiculous, its unfortunate he got hurt , its part of the sport.  Did people accuse Lawson of being out of shape last year when he tore his achilles ?

There is a massive difference between tearing your Achilles during a football drill, when you are in peak shape, and turning a 6-8 week injury into a season long injury, and showing up to mandatory minicamp well above the weight the team wanted you to be at.

The witch hunt is only ridiculous to those who don’t want to imagine Becton as someone who cannot control himself when it comes to his weight.

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

The guy skipped all voluntary workouts during the offseason, showed up to mandatory minicamp completely out of shape, and he was held out of practices as a result.

I mean the writing is on the wall.  What are you expecting a picture of him on the weight scale?

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There is a massive difference between tearing your Achilles during a football drill, when you are in peak shape, and turning a 6-8 week injury into a season long injury, and showing up to mandatory minicamp well above the weight the team wanted you to be at.

The witch hunt is only ridiculous to those who don’t want to imagine Becton as someone who cannot control himself when it comes to his weight.

And where did you get your Dr's degree or did you just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night . I didn't know there was an exact time table on injuries published. Can you tell how long McDermott is out, I'm your sure you were able to diagnose his condition buy viewing him at the Green & White scrimmage .  The projection and speculation people make based on media drivel and their own agenda's is nauseating. 

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The guy skipped all voluntary workouts during the offseason, showed up to mandatory minicamp completely out of shape, and he was held out of practices as a result.

I mean the writing is on the wall.  What are you expecting a picture of him on the weight scale?

By who's account the media, Boomer , Jets beat writers , by you viewing him visually . 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

And where did you get your Dr's degree or did you just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night . I didn't know there was an exact time table on injuries published. Can you tell how long McDermott is out, I'm your sure you were able to diagnose his condition buy viewing him at the Green & White scrimmage .  The projection and speculation people make based on media drivel and their own agenda's is nauseating. 

The injury was described last year by the team, Schefter, Rapp, etc., as 4-6 weeks, but I was being generous to Becton if you really want to go there.  Then the reports came out that he ballooned up during rehab which made it a season ender.

Do you really want to die on the hill that Becton wasn’t overweight?  Seriously?  Are you that stubborn?

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This can’t be real.  No one is this obtuse.

Funny thing about the media reports , fans believe the one's that meet their agendas and laugh off the one's they don't as junk. And you really can't be that obtuse not to see it. Its why the SOJF mentality even exists to begin with . As Ozzy would sing the media sells it and you  live the role - Crazy Train indeed. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

This is spot on. 

He was clearly training hard and in shape and had lost whatever excess weight the Jets required.   sh*t happens.  As you note, it happened to Lawson and about half our team last year.  Some people just have blame something or someone.
In this case guys with no inside team ties or medical training are making medical judgements.    Its laughable.

The guys knee was hurting enough for him to wear a brace- I think if the Jets  had imaged his knee at that point, he might have been able to be diagnosed , and possibly heal and play this season before the fracture was displaced.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, Warfish said:

You can't have sports without practice.

And injuries happen anytime you step on a field, pitch, ballpark, court, etc.

It's simply a part of sports.  You accept it, and move on.

right.  but you can also say that players get injured less in the real games if they practice.  it's all part of getting them to be the best they can be.  losing becton is bad for the jets but i suspect it's far worse for becton, especially if he had any dreams of being the best.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Funny thing about the media reports , fans believe the one's that meet their agendas and laugh off the one's they don't as junk. And you really can't be that obtuse not to see it. Its why the SOJF mentality even exists to begin with . As Ozzy would sing the media sells it and you  live the role - Crazy Train indeed. 

Right, the media must have photoshopped those images of him at mandatory minicamp.  

Totally.

B27C685B-153C-4345-A754-D8B203330E89.jpeg

Plus being overweight probably weakened his knees in the first place.  But "keep fvcking that chicken", Bowles Movement.  

Repeatedly stating the same dumb things wont make them correct.   But Im sure that youll keep trying.

4 hours ago, Hex said:

In some cases the injuries in TC allow for the team to make the proper adjustments before the actual game starts instead of the player getting hurt 5 minutes into the first game when making adjustments are harder. To me it seems like Becton's injury was either going to happen during training camp or week one like it did last year.

So I consider training camp to actually be useful in that it not only helps players practice but if there's any problems (Injuries included) they can be resolved before the actual season starts.

As for Lawson, using his injury as an example of anything is like using Tom Brady as a reason to draft you QB in the later rounds. It's an outlier.

Dude half our starters were on IR last year.

Is it your position that they were all fat lazy bums??

42 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Repeatedly stating the same dumb things wont make them correct.   But Im sure that youll keep trying.

I love that you keep defending your position.  Mekhi was coming off a knee injury but still didn't have the discipline to come into camp at the right weight.