Sabo's 53 man roster prediction

PorP

New York Jets 53-Man Roster Projection: Preseason Week 1 Edition

The New York Jets 53-man roster competition is heating up now that preseason Week 1 vs. the Philadelphia Eagles is near.

The New York Jets 53-man roster projection features incredibly tight decisions

It’s time yet again to play the prognostication game, one of the exhilarating exercises that get fans in a frenzy: Who makes the New York Jets‘ initial 53-man roster?

Now that we’re nearing the first preseason game, it’s time to break down some of the Jets players that have been standing out at camp. Will Parks is one name that comes to mind. Another guy is Calvin Jackson Jr. and Rashard Davis.

Quarterback (3)

Zach Wilson

Joe Flacco

Mike White

Whether or not the New York Jets decide to carry three quarterbacks in the regular season is a legitimate question. As the roster crunch becomes more realistic—more on that below—the question of two or three becomes critical.

No matter which direction they go, however, having three quality quarterbacks in August is a hell of a positive. Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco and Mike White don’t provide one wasted rep in practice, thus elevating the improvement for everybody else when 7v7s and teams break out.

New York going two or three quarterbacks in the regular season depends on Joe Douglas unloading White to a quarterback-hungry team. My bet is that he keeps the trio together in 2022.

Running Back (3)

Michael Carter

Breece Hall

Tevin Coleman

If three quarterbacks are kept, think just three at running back. Although Breece Hall is still lower on the unofficial “official” depth chart, consider him one part of the starting duo (with Michael Carter).

Hall really does look that good. His vision looks impressive, and his one-cut ability coupled with his fast-moving large frame when going downhill is scary. The big question comes down to No. 3, where it may come down to veteran Tevin Coleman vs. undrafted free agent Zonovan Knight.

Mike LaFleur will not want to lose Knight, a kid who’s also impressed this summer. The N.C. State product is a physical runner who could gain short-yardage in tough spots, and he’s a bit shiftier than I previously thought (for that size and run style).

Unfortunately for the kid, in the end, LaFleur will most likely go with the experience in Coleman while trying to sneak Knight onto the practice squad. If Coleman starts the season hurt, Knight has a chance to make the cut.

Toughest cuts: Zonovan Knight. Ty Johnson, La’Mical Perine

Practice squad candidates: Zonovan Knight

Wide Receiver (5)

Elijah Moore (OUTSIDE, SLOT)

Corey Davis (OUTSIDE)

Braxton Berrios (SLOT)

Garrett Wilson (OUTSIDE, SLOT)

Jeff Smith (OUTSIDE, SLOT)

Another room that may be surprisingly light could be at wide receiver. Considering LaFleur loves his tight ends and fullbacks, and 12 personnel, five reliable wideouts could be the way the Jets go.

This means Denzel Mims would not be rostered. The rumors are already swirling, and whether to not there’s any validity to it does not take away from the idea that recouping a mid-round pick for the Baylor product makes sense (save for a serious injury from any of the top five guys).

Trade: Denzel Mims for a mid-round pick

Toughest cuts: Rashard Davis, Calvin Jackson Jr.

Practice squad candidates: Rashard Davis, Calvin Jackson Jr., Irvin Charles, Tarik Black

Fullback (1)

Nick Bawden (1)

As of now, Nick Bawden is the Jets’ fullback. Yes, Trevon Wesco is the other option, but Bawden played well near the end of 2021, and he should get the nod this campaign.

Tight End (4)

Tyler Conklin (TE)

C.J. Uzomah (TE)

Trevon Wesco (TE, FB)

Jeremy Ruckert (TE)

One fullback and four tight ends equal five total “blocking-type weapons,” and that makes sense in a LaFleur offense.

The top two are locks, as is rookie Jeremy Ruckert. The big question comes down to the final spot. Perhaps New York keeps just three tight ends and Bawden or no fullback and four tight ends.

It may come down to Wesco against Kenny Yeboah, in which case, the blocker gets the nod.

Toughest cuts: Kenny Yeboah, Lawrence Cager

Practice squad candidates: Kenny Yeboah, Lawrence Cager

Offensive Tackle (4)

George Fant (RT)

Duane Brown (LT)

Chuma Edoga (OT)

Max Mitchell (OT)

Offensive tackle is where the prognostication-fun begins. Thanks to the Mekhi Becton news, Joe Douglas is suddenly faced with a must-sign situation. He must snag Duane Brown.

Brown, 36, visited with the Jets prior to the Green & White Scrimmage this past Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Now that Becton is out and Conor McDermott is also injured, Brown is sitting there with money on the mind.

Douglas has to get this done, and I expect him to do so. Throw Chuma Edoga and rookie Max Mitchell in there to round it out, while coaching staff-favorite McDermott could begin the year on an inactive list or outright cut.

* Toughest cuts: Conor McDermott

Practice squad candidates: Greg Senat, Grant Hermanns

Interior Offensive Linemen (5)

Alijah Vera-Tucker (RG)

Laken Tomlinson (LG)

Connor McGovern (C)

Nate Herbig (IOL)

Dan Feeney (IOL)

If four tackles are kept, five will most likely be the number at interior offensive line. And fortunately, this one is pretty easy and straightforward, with newcomer Nate Herbig possessing the ability to play all three interior line positions.

Toughest cuts: Derrick Kelly

Practice squad candidates: Dru Samia, Ross Pierschbacher

Interior Defensive Linemen (4)

Quinnen Williams (3-TECH)

Solomon Thomas (2i-TECH)

Sheldon Rankins (3-TECH)

Nathan Shepherd (2i-TECH)

Defensive tackle is another position where the decisions are pretty cut and dry. Jonathan Marshall and Tanzel Smart are solid guys Douglas will try to sneak onto the practice squad.

Many would argue that Nathan Shepherd should get the boot, but this organization loves the guy as an experienced leader.

The big question at this group boils down to schematics: How does Robert Saleh and Jeff Ulbrich work the 2i and 3-tech spots? Will it be rigid or flexible, and if it’s the former, who will be the 2i (to replace Foley Fatukasi)?

Toughest cuts: Jonathan Marshall, Tanzel Smart

Practice squad candidates: Jonathan Marshall, Tanzel Smart

EDGE (6)

Carl Lawson (EDGE)

John Franklin-Myers (EDGE, 3-TECH)

Bryce Huff (EDGE)

Jacob Martin (EDGE)

Jermaine Johnson (EDGE)

Micheal Clemons (EDGE, 3-TECH)

Think at least 10 defensive linemen, perhaps even 11. It’s the heart of the Saleh scheme, and rookies Jermaine Johnson and Micheal Clemons are safe, as are Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers and most likely Jacob Martin and Bryce Huff.

The big question is this: How do they figure out a way to keep Vinny Curry? I’m not too sure right now, but since JFM and Clemons can slide down and play some 3-tech, New York can carry four defensive tackles and six defensive ends easily.

In the end, as long as health isn’t a concern, I do think Curry will find his way onto the roster (as it’ll work itself out in some fashion). Other than Curry, Bradlee Anae will be an extremely tough cut, as he’s been solid this summer.

Toughest cuts: Vinny Curry, Bradlee Anae, Tim Ward, Jabari Zuniga

Practice squad candidates: Bradlee Anae, Jabari Zuniga

Linebacker (5)

C.J. Mosley (MIKE)

Kwon Alexander (WILL)

Quincy Williams (SAM)

Jamien Sherwood (MIKE, WILL)

Marcell Harris (WILL)

Within this defensive scheme, it’ll be nearly impossible to keep six linebackers. So, if no major injuries occur, the final spot may come down to Marcell Harris vs. Hamsah Nasirildeen.

As of now, I’ll go with the veteran.

Toughest cuts: Hamsah Nasirildeen, Del’Shawn Phillips, Kia Nacua, Javin White

Practice squad candidates: Hamsah Nasirildeen, Kia Nacua, DQ Thomas

Cornerback (6)

Sauce Gardner (OUTSIDE)

D.J. Reed (OUTSIDE, SLOT)

Michael Carter II (SLOT, FS)

Bryce Hall (OUTSIDE)

Javelin Guidry (SLOT)

Brandin Echols (OUTSIDE, SLOT)

Where in the world is Justin Hardee? While there’s no question Brant Boyer does not want to lose the veteran special teams ace, this numbers game is fierce.

Sauce Gardner, D.J. Reed, Michael Carter II, Bryce Hall and Javelin Guidry feel like locks. The final spot may come down to Brandin Echols, Isaiah Dunn, Justin Hardee or perhaps an extra safety.

If Hardee is gone, there will be plenty of options to fill his roles on special teams (Jeff Smith, Brandin Echols, Ashtyn Davis, Javelin Guidry, etc.).

Toughest cuts: Justin Hardee, Isaiah Dunn, Rachad Wildgoose

Practice squad candidates: Isaiah Dunn, Rachad Wildgoose

Safety (4)

Jordan Whitehead (SS)

Lamarcus Joyner (FS)

Ashtyn Davis (FS)

Will Parks (SS)

If the Jets want to keep the 2020 third-round pick, Ashtyn Davis, the fourth safety spot will come down to Jason Pinnock and Will Parks, the latter of whom has been playing tremendously. Parks has been physical and instinctive in a lot of spots.

Right now, I’ll give Parks the nod. Whether or not they could sneak Pinnock onto the practice squad remains to be seen. Elijah Riley is another guy I like, and a guy the coaching staff likes as well, as he brings intangibles and toughness to the table, but his range is incredibly limited.

Toughest cuts: Elijah Riley

Practice squad candidates: Elijah Riley, Tony Adams

Special Teams (3)

Greg Zuerlein (K)

Braden Mann (P)

Thomas Hennessy (LS)

The only question as it pertains to special teams is at kicker, which is a coin-flip at this moment. I’ll go with Greg Zuerlein over the incumbent, Eddy Pineiro.

***Copy and pasted via cell while pooping

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The New York Jets 53-man roster competition is heating up now that preseason Week 1 vs. the Philadelphia Eagles is near.

It’s time yet again to play the prognostication game, one of the exhilarating exercises that get fans in a frenzy: Who makes the New York Jets‘ initial 53-man roster?

Now that we’re nearing the first preseason game, it’s time to break down some of the Jets players that have been standing out at camp. Will Parks is one name that comes to mind. Another guy is Calvin Jackson Jr. and Rashard Davis.

Quarterback (3)

Zach Wilson

Joe Flacco

Mike White

Whether or not the New York Jets decide to carry three quarterbacks in the regular season is a legitimate question. As the roster crunch becomes more realistic—more on that below—the question of two or three becomes critical.

No matter which direction they go, however, having three quality quarterbacks in August is a hell of a positive. Zach Wilson, Joe Flacco and Mike White don’t provide one wasted rep in practice, thus elevating the improvement for everybody else when 7v7s and teams break out.

New York going two or three quarterbacks in the regular season depends on Joe Douglas unloading White to a quarterback-hungry team. My bet is that he keeps the trio together in 2022.

Running Back (3)

Michael Carter

Breece Hall

Tevin Coleman

If three quarterbacks are kept, think just three at running back. Although Breece Hall is still lower on the unofficial “official” depth chart, consider him one part of the starting duo (with Michael Carter).

Hall really does look that good. His vision looks impressive, and his one-cut ability coupled with his fast-moving large frame when going downhill is scary. The big question comes down to No. 3, where it may come down to veteran Tevin Coleman vs. undrafted free agent Zonovan Knight.

Mike LaFleur will not want to lose Knight, a kid who’s also impressed this summer. The N.C. State product is a physical runner who could gain short-yardage in tough spots, and he’s a bit shiftier than I previously thought (for that size and run style).

Unfortunately for the kid, in the end, LaFleur will most likely go with the experience in Coleman while trying to sneak Knight onto the practice squad. If Coleman starts the season hurt, Knight has a chance to make the cut.

Wide Receiver (5)

Corey Davis (OUTSIDE)

Braxton Berrios (SLOT)

Another room that may be surprisingly light could be at wide receiver. Considering LaFleur loves his tight ends and fullbacks, and 12 personnel, five reliable wideouts could be the way the Jets go.

This means Denzel Mims would not be rostered. The rumors are already swirling, and whether to not there’s any validity to it does not take away from the idea that recouping a mid-round pick for the Baylor product makes sense (save for a serious injury from any of the top five guys).

Practice squad candidates: Rashard Davis, Calvin Jackson Jr., Irvin Charles, Tarik Black

Fullback (1)

Nick Bawden (1)

As of now, Nick Bawden is the Jets’ fullback. Yes, Trevon Wesco is the other option, but Bawden played well near the end of 2021, and he should get the nod this campaign.

Tight End (4)

Tyler Conklin (TE)

C.J. Uzomah (TE)

Trevon Wesco (TE, FB)

Jeremy Ruckert (TE)

One fullback and four tight ends equal five total “blocking-type weapons,” and that makes sense in a LaFleur offense.

The top two are locks, as is rookie Jeremy Ruckert. The big question comes down to the final spot. Perhaps New York keeps just three tight ends and Bawden or no fullback and four tight ends.

It may come down to Wesco against Kenny Yeboah, in which case, the blocker gets the nod.

Offensive Tackle (4)

George Fant (RT)

Duane Brown (LT)

Chuma Edoga (OT)

Max Mitchell (OT)

Offensive tackle is where the prognostication-fun begins. Thanks to the Mekhi Becton news, Joe Douglas is suddenly faced with a must-sign situation. He must snag Duane Brown.

Brown, 36, visited with the Jets prior to the Green & White Scrimmage this past Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Now that Becton is out and Conor McDermott is also injured, Brown is sitting there with money on the mind.

Douglas has to get this done, and I expect him to do so. Throw Chuma Edoga and rookie Max Mitchell in there to round it out, while coaching staff-favorite McDermott could begin the year on an inactive list or outright cut.

Alijah Vera-Tucker (RG)

Laken Tomlinson (LG)

Connor McGovern (C)

Nate Herbig (IOL)

Dan Feeney (IOL)

If four tackles are kept, five will most likely be the number at interior offensive line. And fortunately, this one is pretty easy and straightforward, with newcomer Nate Herbig possessing the ability to play all three interior line positions.

Solomon Thomas (2i-TECH)

Sheldon Rankins (3-TECH)

Defensive tackle is another position where the decisions are pretty cut and dry. Jonathan Marshall and Tanzel Smart are solid guys Douglas will try to sneak onto the practice squad.

Many would argue that Nathan Shepherd should get the boot, but this organization loves the guy as an experienced leader.

The big question at this group boils down to schematics: How does Robert Saleh and Jeff Ulbrich work the 2i and 3-tech spots? Will it be rigid or flexible, and if it’s the former, who will be the 2i (to replace Foley Fatukasi)?

EDGE (6)

Carl Lawson (EDGE)

Bryce Huff (EDGE)

Jacob Martin (EDGE)

Jermaine Johnson (EDGE)

Think at least 10 defensive linemen, perhaps even 11. It’s the heart of the Saleh scheme, and rookies Jermaine Johnson and Micheal Clemons are safe, as are Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers and most likely Jacob Martin and Bryce Huff.

The big question is this: How do they figure out a way to keep Vinny Curry? I’m not too sure right now, but since JFM and Clemons can slide down and play some 3-tech, New York can carry four defensive tackles and six defensive ends easily.

In the end, as long as health isn’t a concern, I do think Curry will find his way onto the roster (as it’ll work itself out in some fashion). Other than Curry, Bradlee Anae will be an extremely tough cut, as he’s been solid this summer.

Linebacker (5)

C.J. Mosley (MIKE)

Kwon Alexander (WILL)

Quincy Williams (SAM)

Marcell Harris (WILL)

Within this defensive scheme, it’ll be nearly impossible to keep six linebackers. So, if no major injuries occur, the final spot may come down to Marcell Harris vs. Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Cornerback (6)

Sauce Gardner (OUTSIDE)

Bryce Hall (OUTSIDE)

Javelin Guidry (SLOT)

Where in the world is Justin Hardee? While there’s no question Brant Boyer does not want to lose the veteran special teams ace, this numbers game is fierce.

Sauce Gardner, D.J. Reed, Michael Carter II, Bryce Hall and Javelin Guidry feel like locks. The final spot may come down to Brandin Echols, Isaiah Dunn, Justin Hardee or perhaps an extra safety.

If Hardee is gone, there will be plenty of options to fill his roles on special teams (Jeff Smith, Brandin Echols, Ashtyn Davis, Javelin Guidry, etc.).

Safety (4)

Jordan Whitehead (SS)

Lamarcus Joyner (FS)

Ashtyn Davis (FS)

Will Parks (SS)

If the Jets want to keep the 2020 third-round pick, Ashtyn Davis, the fourth safety spot will come down to Jason Pinnock and Will Parks, the latter of whom has been playing tremendously. Parks has been physical and instinctive in a lot of spots.

Right now, I’ll give Parks the nod. Whether or not they could sneak Pinnock onto the practice squad remains to be seen. Elijah Riley is another guy I like, and a guy the coaching staff likes as well, as he brings intangibles and toughness to the table, but his range is incredibly limited.

Special Teams (3)

Greg Zuerlein (K)

Braden Mann (P)

Thomas Hennessy (LS)

The only question as it pertains to special teams is at kicker, which is a coin-flip at this moment. I’ll go with Greg Zuerlein over the incumbent, Eddy Pineiro.

I was trying to paste the table in, not necessity the whole article. 

But thank you and I hope you had a pleasant poop ?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PorP said:

I was trying to paste the table in, not necessity the whole article. 

But thank you and I hope you had a pleasant poop ?

45 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Quarterback (3)

Zach Wilson

Joe Flacco

Mike White

Running Back (3)

Michael Carter

Breece Hall

Tevin Coleman

Wide Receiver (5)

Corey Davis (OUTSIDE)

Braxton Berrios (SLOT)

Fullback (1)

Nick Bawden (1)

Tight End (4)

Tyler Conklin (TE)

C.J. Uzomah (TE)

Trevon Wesco (TE, FB)

Jeremy Ruckert (TE)

Offensive Tackle (4)

George Fant (RT)

Duane Brown (LT)

Chuma Edoga (OT)

Max Mitchell (OT)

Alijah Vera-Tucker (RG)

Laken Tomlinson (LG)

Connor McGovern (C)

Nate Herbig (IOL)

Dan Feeney (IOL)

Solomon Thomas (2i-TECH)

Sheldon Rankins (3-TECH)

EDGE (6)

Carl Lawson (EDGE)

Bryce Huff (EDGE)

Jacob Martin (EDGE)

Jermaine Johnson (EDGE)

Linebacker (5)

C.J. Mosley (MIKE)

Kwon Alexander (WILL)

Quincy Williams (SAM)

Marcell Harris (WILL)

Cornerback (6)

Sauce Gardner (OUTSIDE)

Bryce Hall (OUTSIDE)

Javelin Guidry (SLOT)

Safety (4)

Jordan Whitehead (SS)

Lamarcus Joyner (FS)

Ashtyn Davis (FS)

Will Parks (SS)

Special Teams (3)

Greg Zuerlein (K)

Braden Mann (P)

Thomas Hennessy (LS)

Thank you.  Now, wash your hands.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think Sabo's biggest mistake is thinking the Jets keep Wesco. I don't think there's any way in the world they keep a pending FA 4th TE/backup FB while cutting (or trading) Knight/Mims/Marshall/Zuniga/Hardee/Pinnock

Yeah, I agree with this.  There isn't too much I can disagree with in Sabo's projection, but keeping Wesco over a guy like Pinnock is a strange one - and I don't think it will happen.

I also think the Jets like Nasirildeen, so he makes it - possibly with a guy like Ashtyn Davis being traded to open up the roster spot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I still don't think they trade Mims.  I think, they think, Mims has potential to be Davis' replacement and they can drop Davis and use Mims as his cheaper replacement next year.

Of course, what do I know, I swore up and down from January through just about early April that there was no way they would take a DB with their first pick.

Agree.  I'm an admitted Mims fan boy but the guy showed up to camp in top shape and if he shows decent progress on the mental side vs. last year, I think you have to find a spot for him.  Davis is not the long term answer...

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I just dont understand how anyone with football knowledge thinks that JAG Jeff Smith is going to make this team over a player with elite traits and upside like Mimsy.

The upside to Mims is maybe we get a case of Mountain Dew from some team super desperate for WR Help.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

I think Sabo's biggest mistake is thinking the Jets keep Wesco. I don't think there's any way in the world they keep a pending FA 4th TE/backup FB while cutting (or trading) Knight/Mims/Marshall/Zuniga/Hardee/Pinnock

I think Wesco does make the team but where Sabo is mistaken is with Bawden also making it. Wesco offers more versatility as well as special teams play. Where Sabo is right is in blocking being the priority here, edging out Yeboah and Cager. 

Believe a tough decision could be whether to carry three QBs or use the roster spot for one of the guys you’re talking about here. Not sure about 6 CBs, either. Feel like Rankins should be a bubble player given his production and salary. I think a fourth RB makes it. The LB list is odd with three nods to Will, one to Sam and two to Mike when the Will might get on the field for 30% of the snaps. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I still don't think they trade Mims.  I think, they think, Mims has potential to be Davis' replacement and they can drop Davis and use Mims as his cheaper replacement next year.

Of course, what do I know, I swore up and down from January through just about early April that there was no way they would take a DB with their first pick.

I think next year’s plan would be Moore and Wilson on the outside with Berrios in the slot.

The other 2 options as you mention would be either Davis/Mims the outside along with Moore + Wilson in the slot and Berrios backing him up.

It’s becoming clear though that Elijah Moore is a starting outside receiver (and secondary slot usage).

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I don't see them going that thin at WR, I don't see them keeping both Bawden and Wesco, and I don't see them cutting Hardee.  Could be wrong on all, but just seems odd.

Agree on Hardee.  He is a team leader.  You do not cut guys like that in camp.  He will be released after the season as I believe his contract is up.  That way, you dont hurt the morale of the team.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, and I'll add this:

If in fact it is JD/Salah's plan to go with Old Man Flacco as the Jets #2 this season, then we should cut Mike White.

The decision to stick with a wasted old man "mentor" instead of anythign resembling a developmental/younger guy effectively eliminates the need (in 2022) to roster such a guy.  He's dead weight.  If Wilson gets hurt again, Flacco will play, and we'll sign some street FA.

I'd rather White > Flacco, and then cut Flacco (or hire him as a Coach/QB "Mentor") but seems that ship has sailed.

We need that extra WR, or TE or FB or OL more than we need a third QB the team doesn't believe in, doesn't have a plan for, and will never see the field again.  For example, I am not cutting Mims to make room for Mike White if White is the forgotten #3.

So hate to say it, but cut White.  Chips will fall where they may then with Wilson/Flacco.

Very much not. For one thing, while I think Flacco is currently better than White, White has the potential to be a long-term backup here.

For another, I think it's very likely that if we let White go in FA after this year, it will be for a salary that would get him onto the comp-pick calculation. And the team is finally deep enough that we shouldn't need to bring in a ton of outside FAs next offseason (meaning we have a realistic chance to start gaining comp picks on net). Cutting White is probably the equivalent of trading a 6th or 7th round pick for whoever gets his roster spot.

• Sympathy 1

The OL, RB, LB, iDL, and Edge look fine.

I think it would be a mistake to cut Mims. And I dont see Hardee being cut.

For me, Id keep Mims and put White on practice. I still dont believe a team will pick him up.l to be their backup.

Keep Hardee and cut one of Davis or Guidry.

The rest Im fine with.

Payup to keep guys on the practice squad. White, Knight, Yeboah, Cager, Marshall, Smart, Zuniga, Hamsah, Guidry or Davis, Reiley, and a couple of WRs/OL would make for a strong practice squad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Very much not. For one thing, while I think Flacco is currently better than White, White has the potential to be a long-term backup here.

For another, I think it's very likely that if we let White go in FA after this year, it will be for a salary that would get him onto the comp-pick calculation. And the team is finally deep enough that we shouldn't need to bring in a ton of outside FAs next offseason (meaning we have a realistic chance to start gaining comp picks on net). Cutting White is probably the equivalent of trading a 6th or 7th round pick for whoever gets his roster spot.

White has been in the league 5 years - he's not some rookie we're developing.  They know what he is and he's a 3rd string practice squad QB.

• Sympathy 1

I think there's a handful here I would argue with - many mentioned.

1) I think's it's unlikely Mike White makes the 53 - he'll make it to the practice squad

2) Mims will make the team - he's working hard and his upside is big - not worth trading for anything less than a 3rd and they won't get that

3) It's possible Zuniga makes the team, another guy with explosiveness and just maybe has started to put it together (tricky one here because can't see who else you can cut)

4) Possibility Bam Knight over Coleman.

5) No way Wesco makes this roster.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

if mitchell is doing so well, why get a one year rental like brown?  they need a rt but at the same time they now have 5 guys or so to choose from.  edoga is probably the guy who will be cut.

He'll still be such an unknown that you can't take that chance when you're trying to develop a QB and need to start winning games.

Mitchell doing well is great but he's not the answer this year.

• Upvote 2

Mims is just like Becton - no heart, no passion for playing football. Measurable’s aren’t everything when it comes to being a successful player and valuable part of a team. There are countless examples - Rice, Montana, Brady, etc. 

Going back to Mims, this is a guy that didn’t bother to learn the playbook last year. When he was given chances, which he didn’t even earn in the first place, he lined up in the wrong spots, had inexcusable penalties (how does a receiver false start?? You learn in Pop Warner that you don’t go until the ball moves), and costly drops. 

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They are developing White as the long term backup to Wilson.  Flacco wont be here much longer.  White is this generations Pat Ryan.  he is going to be here for a long time.

You don't develop 5th year back up QB's.   If they had faith in him to be a capable back up Flacco wouldn't be here.  If he's not capable by his 5th year - he's never going to be.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

White has been in the league 5 years - he's not some rookie we're developing.  They know what he is and he's a 3rd string practice squad QB.

this is his 4th year of service time (he was a RFA this past offseason). Anyway, let me put it this way: Mike White isn't going to be on our practice squad this year. If he gets cut, he'll be on another team.

But I don't think he's getting cut.

As a bunch of people have said, I think the issue is that he kept both sides of some either/or cuts.  Wesco vs. Bawden.   Feeney vs. Herbig.  I see it unlikely that they keep all four of those guys. 

I think there will be cross-pollination with DT and EDGE.  Isn't the purpose of having Solomon Thomas and JFM that they can do both?   I know they like to rotate, but c'mon.  Herbig and Feeney can both play C.  McDermott and the guy from the Saints have played some G.  I wonder if they will play any of them there. 

Also, with all the hybrid guys, how many safeties and LB do they need?  A guy like Marcell Harris has played S in this system, but is listed at LB.  Maybe he takes one of those guys slots.  Pinnock played CB and S last year.  This versatility should be saving roster spots, not costing them.y 

I keep hearing about Mims potential, but Smith is just as athletic.  Loving on guys because of draft position is a mistake I hope we are done making.  Both have sky high potential and I kind of hope they keep both.  Reports I saw had Mims playing specials and Smith was supposedly having a very good camp.