Sabo's 53 man roster prediction

PorP

I don’t see Wesco making the team 

Max Mitchell looked good during the scrimmage. Will be interested in seeing him in the preseason. He has a real chance to win the job IMO.

if Irvin Charles shows out in preseason that could make Mims expendable (as trade, don’t think he will be cut)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Oh, and I'll add this:

If in fact it is JD/Salah's plan to go with Old Man Flacco as the Jets #2 this season, then we should cut Mike White.

The decision to stick with a wasted old man "mentor" instead of anythign resembling a developmental/younger guy effectively eliminates the need (in 2022) to roster such a guy.  He's dead weight.  If Wilson gets hurt again, Flacco will play, and we'll sign some street FA.

I'd rather White > Flacco, and then cut Flacco (or hire him as a Coach/QB "Mentor") but seems that ship has sailed.

We need that extra WR, or TE or FB or OL more than we need a third QB the team doesn't believe in, doesn't have a plan for, and will never see the field again.  For example, I am not cutting Mims to make room for Mike White if White is the forgotten #3.

So hate to say it, but cut White.  Chips will fall where they may then with Wilson/Flacco.

Flacco can be veteran PS... there are 6 spots available for this.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hard to take seriously any roster projection that does not include Del'Shawn Phillips ?

Lol...

I've been meaning to ask what your screen name is going to be when Joe finishes the auction on his coat? 

"SomeRando'sFurCoat"?

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think there's a handful here I would argue with - many mentioned.

1) I think's it's unlikely Mike White makes the 53 - he'll make it to the practice squad

2) Mims will make the team - he's working hard and his upside is big - not worth trading for anything less than a 3rd and they won't get that

3) It's possible Zuniga makes the team, another guy with explosiveness and just maybe has started to put it together (tricky one here because can't see who else you can cut)

4) Possibility Bam Knight over Coleman.

5) No way Wesco makes this roster.

1. I think you are undervaluing White.  They’ll likely showcase him this preseason where I expect him to play well.  Then they’ll try to trade him.  On a side note, he’d be plucked off the practice squad in minutes

2. Mims has shown up in great shape and made a few plays here and there.  Many are now overvaluing him because the bar was so low entering this year.  I expect a trade for a fifth unless of course he’s lights out in preseason.  In such a case, I’ll be more than happy to be completely wrong

3. Agree but it will come down to how he shows in the preseason.  Yes, he’s had a few flashes but it’s an uphill battle.  If he balls in preseason, he can sneak in or be a trade candidate.  If he doesn’t show up, he’s an easy cut 

4. Agree.  Although Coleman graded well last year and is their most reliable pass blocker.  Knight will have to show he can block to earn a spot 

5. Agree in theory but the Jets seem to like him.  I’d be disappointed if he made it given his contributions to date and the fact the Jets now have other TEs who can block.  Yeboah is my dark horse

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. I think you are undervaluing White.  They’ll likely showcase him this preseason where I expect him to play well.  Then they’ll try to trade him.  On a side note, he’d be plucked off the practice squad in minutes

Ok.  By whom, specifically.  What team(s)?

Surely for such a firm opinion, you have some sure-fire candidates in-mind who desperately need....Mike White.

Need him enough to put him on their active roster all year long by snagging him from our P.S.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think you are undervaluing White.  They’ll likely showcase him this preseason where I expect him to play well.  Then they’ll try to trade him.  On a side note, he’d be plucked off the practice squad in minutes

He was available the entire offseason for a fifth round pick and an offer sheet. There wasn’t even a rumor of some team possibly showing interest. No one here undervalues White. Quite a few overvalue him, though, compared to the rest of the league. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

I think the odds that we cut either Feeney or Herbig are exceptionally low; that's two guys to back up the entire interior OL, which you need. 

I haven't checked the contracts, but my thought was that they are kind of duplicative and the team would be more likely to keep a developmental guy or G/T type.  I certainly could be wrong.

It also hinges greatly on how well Herbig can play C.  I think Feeney is a sh*tty G and a solid backup C.  I know less about Herbig, but if he isn't at least a serviceable C, I guess Feeney is safe unless Pierschbacher steps way up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I haven't checked the contracts, but my thought was that they are kind of duplicative and the team would be more likely to keep a developmental guy or G/T type.  I certainly could be wrong.

It also hinges greatly on how well Herbig can play C.  I think Feeney is a sh*tty G and a solid backup C.  I know less about Herbig, but if he isn't at least a serviceable C, I guess Feeney is safe unless Pierschbacher steps way up.

Quoting myself to say that Feeney got $3M fully guaranteed this offseason.  He is pretty unlikely to get cut.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They're definitely similar players. But I think that’s a good thing. Both can start at all 3 interior positions. Id rather have that than a developmental player. The starting guard spots are set for a few years anyways. I dont think we have a developmental center ok the roster.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ok.  By whom, specifically.  What team(s)?

Surely for such a firm opinion, you have some sure-fire candidates in-mind who desperately need....Mike White.

Need him enough to put him on their active roster all year long by snagging him from our P.S.

I think a lot of teams would value White off the practice squad, without trading any draft picks. Teams looking for a viable backup or a game manager.  That’s not so far fetched in my opinion.

Is that the rule?  Given his years in the league, would he need to be on the active roster all year?  Even so, I do believe there are teams who believe he’s a good backup.  But he has to show in the preseason.

1 hour ago, slats said:

He was available the entire offseason for a fifth round pick and an offer sheet. There wasn’t even a rumor of some team possibly showing interest. No one here undervalues White. Quite a few overvalue him, though, compared to the rest of the league. 

I am intrigued by White.  Is he the QB who balled out against Bengals, moved the ball well on the Colts (before getting hurt) or the Int machine vs Bills.

I do recall your opinion, which I value, is that the Jets wouldn’t sign him to the original round tender.  Mine was that they would and eventually trade him.  I think the trade happens after a strong preseason.  If he doesn’t play well, then it’s an easy decision. 

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I am intrigued by White.  Is he the QB who balled out during the Bengals, moved the ball well in the Colts before getting hurt or the Int machine against the Bills (if I remember  correctly).

i do recall your opinion, which I value, is that the Jets wouldn’t sign him to the original round tender.  Mine was that they would and eventually trade him.  I think the trade happens after a strong preseason.  If he doesn’t play well, then it’s an easy decision. 

I wasn’t surprised by the original round tender. After the Bengals game there was talk of a first or second round pick tender. Those obviously proved to be unnecessary. 

I don’t understand why you think someone would be interested in trading for him when he was available for just that fifth round pick all offseason. If he wasn’t worth a fifth round pick in March, what’s he worth now? If I liked the player, the time to bring him in was back then. I mean, there’s not much left out there but if a QB were to get hurt, do you think someone’s going after White? Or after a Newton, Bortles, or Glennon? 

If the Jets want to stash him on their practice squad, they’ll have to cut him first. With his $2.5M salary, I’d be surprised if he didn’t clear waivers and make it back. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Oh, and I'll add this:

If in fact it is JD/Salah's plan to go with Old Man Flacco as the Jets #2 this season, then we should cut Mike White.

The decision to stick with a wasted old man "mentor" instead of anythign resembling a developmental/younger guy effectively eliminates the need (in 2022) to roster such a guy.  He's dead weight.  If Wilson gets hurt again, Flacco will play, and we'll sign some street FA.

I'd rather White > Flacco, and then cut Flacco (or hire him as a Coach/QB "Mentor") but seems that ship has sailed.

We need that extra WR, or TE or FB or OL more than we need a third QB the team doesn't believe in, doesn't have a plan for, and will never see the field again.  For example, I am not cutting Mims to make room for Mike White if White is the forgotten #3.

So hate to say it, but cut White.  Chips will fall where they may then with Wilson/Flacco.

I think they can get White to the P Squad. That's my expectation. 2 QBs on the 53-man

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

oughest cuts: Jonathan Marshall,

This is the one player I really disagree with you.  I think that Marshall is the prototypical run stuffer that the Jets need to keep, and if put on the practice squad or cut, would be picked up in an instant.   I just don't see that happening.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I wasn’t surprised by the original round tender. After the Bengals game there was talk of a first or second round pick tender. Those obviously proved to be unnecessary. 

I don’t understand why you think someone would be interested in trading for him when he was available for just that fifth round pick all offseason. If he wasn’t worth a fifth round pick in March, what’s he worth now? If I liked the player, the time to bring him in was back then. I mean, there’s not much left out there but if a QB were to get hurt, do you think someone’s going after White? Or after a Newton, Bortles, or Glennon? 

If the Jets want to stash him on their practice squad, they’ll have to cut him first. With his $2.5M salary, I’d be surprised if he didn’t clear waivers and make it back. 

He just has to prove some stuff this preseason and I think the jets will give him the opportunity so teams can get a better read on him.

That’s the main thing in my humble opinion.  Teams don’t have a good read and need more inputs.  Plus, teams might expect the Jets to release him so it’s also a little cat and mouse.

We’ll see.  Be been wrong plenty of times..  my ego is very flexible ;).

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll still be such an unknown that you can't take that chance when you're trying to develop a QB and need to start winning games.

Mitchell doing well is great but he's not the answer this year.

i get it.  my point is just about every other team can go into game 1 with a suspect oline and they manage to still win.  i remember one year when the steelers line was completely beat up.  i also get the part about wilson needing all of the parts working but he's also a big boy.  time to put those big boy pants on and make plays.  and the same goes for the coaches like la fleur.  they have to adapt as well.  maybe we can forgive last season because they were all so new and the team was hit by the injury bug early and often but this is the nfl.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

This is the one player I really disagree with you.  I think that Marshall is the prototypical run stuffer that the Jets need to keep, and if put on the practice squad or cut, would be picked up in an instant.   I just don't see that happening.

Totally agree. There are two guys in his position group I would cut before him.....Sheppard and Rankins. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Feel like Rankins should be a bubble player given his production and salary.

Totally agree, and I think this is flying under the radar.  Rankins was a bit of a disappointment last year and, other than getting a sack one of the days, it doesn't sound like he's been tearing camp up this year either.  I can easily see him not making the team, especially because the $4M cap savings would look awful nice right now after the unexpected expenditure on D. Brown.

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Rankins and keeping Marshall, assuming the coaching staff thinks that Marshall is ready to contribute.

25 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Totally agree, and I think this is flying under the radar.  Rankins was a bit of a disappointment last year and, other than getting a sack one of the days, it doesn't sound like he's been tearing camp up this year either.  I can easily see him not making the team, especially because the $4M cap savings would look awful nice right now after the unexpected expenditure on D. Brown.

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Rankins and keeping Marshall, assuming the coaching staff thinks that Marshall is ready to contribute.

Rankins is only 28. $ really isn't significant. Would keep him before Sheppard.

14 hours ago, slats said:

I think Wesco does make the team but where Sabo is mistaken is with Bawden also making it. Wesco offers more versatility as well as special teams play. Where Sabo is right is in blocking being the priority here, edging out Yeboah and Cager. 

Believe a tough decision could be whether to carry three QBs or use the roster spot for one of the guys you’re talking about here. Not sure about 6 CBs, either. Feel like Rankins should be a bubble player given his production and salary. I think a fourth RB makes it. The LB list is odd with three nods to Will, one to Sam and two to Mike when the Will might get on the field for 30% of the snaps. 

Bawden is making this team. 

That is the line, I just drew it lol.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:32 PM, section314 said:

Totally agree. There are two guys in his position group I would cut before him.....Sheppard and Rankins. 

For sure!!!  For one, Marshall is 4 years younger than Sheppard, and they both do the same thing basically. As for Rankins, he had a disappointing 3 total sacks last year.  Marshall is said to have freakish athletic ability.  He needs every opportunity to show himself this preseason.  If he is equal to Sheppard and Rankins, then the obvious choice is to hold onto Marshall.

• Sympathy 1

Rankins had a disappointing season, but they seem to love him.  It's hard to tell if it is just them not saying anything bad about anybody, but they do seem to go out of their way to praise Rankins.  JFM is the only guy on the line that played more snaps.  Rankins would save a decent chunk of cap and Shepherd has a 1 year deal that can easily be cut.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rankins had a disappointing season, but they seem to love him.  It's hard to tell if it is just them not saying anything bad about anybody, but they do seem to go out of their way to praise Rankins.  JFM is the only guy on the line that played more snaps.  Rankins would save a decent chunk of cap and Shepherd has a 1 year deal that can easily be cut.  

Someone on that defensive line that we all like will have to be cut.  There's just no getting around it.  There is just an overabundance of decent players on that line.

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A total of 8 backs and TEs?  Will be interesting keeping both Wesco and Bawden in addition to 3 RBs and 3 other TEs.

I think the total will be eight, but that they’ll keep just Wesco (or Bawden :) ), and add another RB. I’d expect either Johnson or Knight. 

• Upvote 1