Why the NY Jets’ ceiling remains the same despite Becton injury

Here is why the New York Jets' ceiling remains the same in 2022 despite the loss of Mekhi Becton to another season-ending injury.

By  Vitor Paiva  08/11/2022

Losing Mekhi Becton and his all-world potential is no good, but the Jets’ overall ceiling remains the same

August. It’s a very particular month in the life of an ordinary Jets fan: Football comes back, the excitement starts to poke around and the feeling is that the new season is definitely going to be better than the last one.

Then, the inevitable happens, putting everyone on their knees: an unpleasant injury to a key player.

The victim, this time, was 3rd-year offensive lineman Mekhi Becton, who fractured his knee cap during practice on Monday and is probably out for the season, according to head coach Robert Saleh.

Bad news. Awful news.

But such news should not, by any means, make Jets fans desperate. Despite Becton being a player with elite potential, the bottom line remains the same: It is Zach Wilson who will dictate how far the Jets will go in 2022.

Undoubtedly, one can argue that Wilson’s chance of leading the Jets to their optimum result depends on who is around him. That is more than fair.

But the point here is not that Becton is not important. He is. And he has all-world potential. But, considering the grand scheme of things, Mekhi Becton is replaceable (unlike Carl Lawson in 2021, for example).

Losing Becton, individually, doesn’t impact Wilson’s and the Jets’ overall 2022 ceiling. I will explain.

The offensive line

First, one must consider Becton’s position: he’s an offensive lineman.

The offensive line is the ultimate unit, considering any sport. It’s rare to see good to great offensive linemen in a terrible group, and vice-versa. Individuals go as far as the group goes.

Therefore, a good unit helps less talented players play better. The Jets, considering whoever is left there and the coaching staff, seem to have a good offensive line unit.

Of course, players who are true liabilities will continue to be so no matter the group. Those guys must be excluded from the reason I’m trying to paint here.

On the other hand, average players can often outreach their potential when playing in a good offensive line. And I firmly believe the Jets will start a solid player at right tackle, be it an in-house youngster or a brought-in veteran.

George Fant, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Laken Tomlinson, and Connor McGovern are all above-average starters at their positions.

If Joe Douglas and the Jets front office can bring in a solid player to replace Becton (a guy similar to Morgan Moses, for example), the unit – and, more importantly, the offense – will be fine.

Considering that 3/5 of the OL will be playing together for the second year now, under OL coach John Benton, the unit no longer needs an elite player to elevate its level, but they need a stable piece that won’t let the ball drop.

Becton, undeniably, had the potential to uplift this unit into a top-5 type of OL.

But for it to happen, Mekhi himself would have to, first, reach his potential – which was far from a foregone conclusion, considering (i) injuries and the fact that (ii) he was playing on the right side for the first time in the NFL.

All things considered, an elite right tackle is not a prerequisite for a team to win the Super Bowl.

A solid, reliable group upfront can do the trick. And the Jets will be able to field that.

Scheme and other ways around it

Again, everything that’s said here is considering that the Jets won’t play a major liability at right tackle (as I believe Connor McDermott would be over a 17-game stretch).

They will go with an average player.

Average players have deficiencies. Think of Moses, again. Oftentimes the Jets helped him with speed rushers by chipping with the TE or running-back – and it was mostly left unnoticed by fans because Moses did his job for the most part.

That’s the daily routine of basically every team in the NFL: nobody has 5 very good starters. It’s extremely rare. So coaches and players have to adapt. That will be the case with the Jets.

Besides that, as it’s commonly pointed out, the Jets’ scheme starts by running the football well. If LaFleur and Co. can run the ball, everything pass-pro-wise will become a lot easier. Consequently, whoever starts at RT will have an easier life.

Another point: Zach Wilson excels in quicker developing plays. That’s where he’s at his best. So, there’s an argument to be made that the Jets should be able to get rid of the football quickly, focusing on quick-game stuff and rhythm throws. 

A plan like that can do wonders for any tackle.

All in all, the Jets don’t need Becton’s all-star potential to win. Considering scheme, play style, and the OL unit itself, all New York needs is a solid, reliable player that’s willing to be just a functioning part of a well-oiled machine.

Looking back: 49ers, Bengals

Since Jets fans love comparing this 2022 team to the 2019 San Francisco 49ers and 2021 Cincinnati Bengals, let’s take a look at each of those teams’ starters in the offensive line in their respective Super Bowl appearances:

49ers

LT: Joe Staley

LG: Laken Tomlinson

? Ben Garland

RG: Mike Person

RT: Mike McGlinchey

Bengals

LT: Jonah Williams

LG: Quinton Spain

? Trey Hopkins

RG: Hakeem Adeniji

RT: Isaiah Prince

Neither one of those groups is better than what the Jets currently have without Mekhi Becton. That is a fact.

Disclaimer: This article is not an attempt to say that the offensive line is not important in today’s game. No. It remains crucial. Playmakers need the ball in their hands, absolutely, but it’s the offensive line who’s responsible for giving them the chance to make plays.

Nonetheless, it feels as if, after watching years of one of the poorest offensive lines in the NFL, Jets fans are overvaluing the importance of an elite OL group to win in the NFL. A good line is a must. An elite one is not.

Forget about the need for an All-Pro offensive line unit. All the Jets need are reliable players that won’t get in Zach Wilson’s way, allowing the most important player on this team to do his job on schedule.

The highlights can be left for No. 2, who seems ready to perform in decisive moments, such as the 3rd down analyzed below:

Stability and execution: those are the keywords.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I call BS. The o-line had exceptional potential w/Becton on it providing a potentially dominant rushing attack. It's not terrible without him but are we really going to pretend like having a dominant rushing attack doesn't have a massive impact? 

I think Makhi was above average when running the ball but more below average while pass protecting.  All things considered I'll take the pass protection over running.  Overall I think we are a better team with Brown in the lineup.       

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Becton was always going to be a whiff.  The organization tried (and wanted) to make it work, but I think deep down they knew how it would eventually turn out.  It's best that it happened now so we can keep this thing moving forward positively.  Douglas has been everything we could of hoped for in a GM and, like another poster stated, the 2020 draft was a learning experience. He will be hard-pressed to make those same mistakes.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think Makhi was above average when running the ball but more below average while pass protecting.  All things considered I'll take the pass protection over running.  Overall I think we are a better team with Brown in the lineup.       

When he actually played as a rookie he was pretty good in pass pro until later in the season when rookies usually hit the wall. He didn't even give up a sack until like week 7 IIRC. People are going to think what they want about Becton, no point in arguing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When he actually played as a rookie he was pretty good in pass pro until later in the season when rookies usually hit the wall. People are going to think what they want about Becton, no point in arguing.

Exactly. The idea that Becton didn't have a good rookie year is revisionist history. He ended up being injury prone and there are legitimate questions over his commitment to the game. But the idea that he couldn't play when healthy is unfounded. 

As you said though, it doesn't matter anymore. We're on to Duane Brown.  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When he actually played as a rookie he was pretty good in pass pro until later in the season when rookies usually hit the wall. He didn't even give up a sack until like week 7 IIRC. People are going to think what they want about Becton, no point in arguing.

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly. The idea that Becton didn't have a good rookie year is revisionist history. He ended up being injury prone and there are legitimate questions over his commitment to the game. But the idea that he couldn't play when healthy is unfounded. 

As you said though, it doesn't matter anymore. We're on to Duane Brown.  

He played under a different blocking system that year.  I don't think it's revisionist at all to say that under this blocking system (albeit mostly TC and preseason) he was being abused in pass protection.    

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

He played under a different blocking system that year.  I don't think it's revisionist at all the say that under this blocking system (albeit mostly TC and preseason) he was being abused in pass protection.    

Fair point, although I sort of doubt that he was incapable of adjusting. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Total wash.  We got better at pass pro and worse at run blocking.

?

Was really looking forward to watching Becton, AVT and Tomlinson manhandle guys in the running game.

We’ll still have a good running game but maybe less likely to be dominant.

Pass protection should be better though. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

First, one must consider Becton’s position: he’s an offensive lineman.

The offensive line is the ultimate unit, considering any sport. It’s rare to see good to great offensive linemen in a terrible group, and vice-versa. Individuals go as far as the group goes.

This is some wild sh*t

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I call BS. The o-line had exceptional potential w/Becton on it providing a potentially dominant rushing attack. It's not terrible without him but are we really going to pretend like having a dominant rushing attack doesn't have a massive impact? 

Brown is a VERY good run blocker.   We won't miss a beat with him

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Cool. Tell Becton to stop breaking and work hard n' stuff 

Crap in one hand, and put potential in the other and see which one fills up first. 

Becton had 8 good games total, in year 3. 

Dude is done. And will be forgotten by 2024...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Crap in one hand, and put potential in the other and see which one fills up first. 

Becton had 8 good games total, in year 3. 

Dude is done. And will be forgotten by 2024...

Not the point. OP is suggesting we have the same ceiling without healthy Becton as we do with crypt keeper Brown. 

It's BS.

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A Pro Bowler and All Pro against a Never Was. I disagree whole heartedly, Brother.

Brown was all-pro 10 years ago. He's 37 and on the decline. 

We're talking about ceilings.

I know you hate Becton and all but his ceiling was massive. If Brown was still playing at an all-pro level he wouldn't have been a free agent in August. Get real.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know you hate Becton and all but his ceiling was massive. If Brown was still playing at an all-pro level he wouldn't have been a free agent in August. Get real.

Dude was pro ball last year. He still has game

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Have we heard anything from Zach in regard to lamenting the the loss of the big turnstile gamer?

Nope, everybody happy.  No excuses.

image.thumb.png.7a8090a4a76e63f9622fbd6cf3a8d3fa.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

He played under a different blocking system that year.  I don't think it's revisionist at all the say that under this blocking system (albeit mostly TC and preseason) he was being abused in pass protection.    

Totally agree with this point.  A 380 lb tackle is not suited for this scheme.  I’ve said on numerous threads but it’s the cost of changing regimes.  Bechton was drafted for Adam Gase’s offense.  Almost would’ve been better off trading him off of year 1 than try and change his game from power to speed and quickness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

great article.

i doubt anyone thought Becton was going to play more than half a year so how could losing him effect our ceiling. as the article says you dont need an elite OL. just a good one. and the person who will most determine how good it is is Zach Wilson. 

its no coincidence that the best QBs have a really good OL. its because they get rid of the ball quick. if Zach gets quicker then this line will be fine.

and as far as the running game MC1 avg 4.3 ypc. Coleman 4.2 ypc last year. Elliot with Dallas avg 4.3 and there OL is supposed to be really good. we got 3 returning guys and Laken is better than the Doctor he is replacing. Brown will probably be the same as Moses. i am not worried about this OL

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think that's a fair assessment - the potential upside of that right side on running plays will not be the same.

I'm curious for the more savvy scheme fans if tackles or guards are more important for the wide zone. AVT and Laken are definitely legit in the run game, while Fant is far better in pass pro. Don't know enough about Duane Brown, just know he's got an excellent resume of durability and longevity in this league.

• Upvote 1

like it or not becton is still only one player.  the key for the oline is for them to learn how to play as a unit.  they'll be fine depending on how long it takes to acclimate tomlinson and brown to the system.  and considering the olines that they've had in the near past, this has got to be one of the jet's best ones in a decade.  we'll see soon enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You say probowl like it means something. Linemen get in on their name after a while. He used to be a top tackle. His ceiling isn't that high anymore.

He gave up the 6th most sacks in the league last year.

What was Becton stat line last year?

Oh, right...

His "ceiling" at this point is making it through 8 games in a season

• Upvote 2

You say probowl like it means something. Linemen get in on their name after a while. He used to be a top tackle. His ceiling isn't that high anymore.

He gave up the 6th most sacks in the league last year.

He is going to be playing RT.  You are not going to move Fant for a guy who was giving up that many sacks.  And if he was solid in run blocking like the stats say, then he should be on the right side.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A Pro Bowler and All Pro against a Never Was. I disagree whole heartedly, Brother.

It’s time we recognize that Becton was a bust the minute he got hurt last year.  Brown is better only because Becton could barely walk, less practice.  Bectons conditioning was poor as evidenced by his 400 pound frame.  So on we go…. This team will only go as far as Zach and coaching take us.  We cant draft below average as we have for 12 years and continue to have any hope.