Why the NY Jets’ ceiling remains the same despite Becton injury

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s time we recognize that Becton was a bust the minute he got hurt last year.  Brown is better only because Becton could barely walk, less practice.  Bectons conditioning was poor as evidenced by his 400 pound frame.  So on we go…. This team will only go as far as Zach and coaching take us.  We cant draft below average as we have for 12 years and continue to have any hope. 

when discussing ceiling, you are discussing potential.

You guys completely miss the point. 

I'm done with this thread. The Becton haters are incapable of reason when it comes to anything involving him.

obviously the dude is a bust for the Jets now. 

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I call BS. The o-line had exceptional potential w/Becton on it providing a potentially dominant rushing attack. It's not terrible without him but are we really going to pretend like having a dominant rushing attack doesn't have a massive impact? 

I agree ... at least mostly.  Becton has the potential to be the best run blocker in the league and at least above average in pass blocking.  We all saw what he did to a bevy of pass rush guys in 2020.  So, there's no way the OL is as good as it would be if Becton were out there playing anywhere close to his ceiling.  The OL may still be very good, and probably won't prevent ZW from improving substantially (if that's what he's capable of) but no reason to assume the ceiling is the same.  The floor may now be higher, as we have less injury risk now than before, but ceiling no way.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Brown was all-pro 10 years ago. He's 37 and on the decline. 

We're talking about ceilings.

I know you hate Becton and all but his ceiling was massive. If Brown was still playing at an all-pro level he wouldn't have been a free agent in August. Get real.

I think the OP was comparing based a reasonable expectation for Becton if he stayed healthy, not his ceiling.  You’re right, his ceiling was massive but in all probability wasn’t going to be met based on how he has approached the game and his conditioning.

Becton graded as a PFF 74 as a rookie.  Brown as a 71 last year.  Enough of a difference but not a huge gap.  Becton was however moving positions this year and playing in a new system.  Don’t know yet how Brown fits this system or if he moves to RT. 

Brown’s experience might make others around him better. 

Id say pretty close to a wash, Becton’s huge upside that likely wasn’t going to be met aside. Let alone his ability to distract and get injured.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s time we recognize that Becton was a bust the minute he got hurt last year.  Brown is better only because Becton could barely walk, less practice.  Bectons conditioning was poor as evidenced by his 400 pound frame.  So on we go…. This team will only go as far as Zach and coaching take us.  We cant draft below average as we have for 12 years and continue to have any hope. 

You say probowl like it means something. Linemen get in on their name after a while. He used to be a top tackle. His ceiling isn't that high anymore.

He gave up the 6th most sacks in the league last year.

It means he’s a good plan B.  And no one should be making the claims you’re posting.  OL don’t just get in on their name after not having made it for years. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly. The idea that Becton didn't have a good rookie year is revisionist history. He ended up being injury prone and there are legitimate questions over his commitment to the game. But the idea that he couldn't play when healthy is unfounded. 

As you said though, it doesn't matter anymore. We're on to Duane Brown.  

He had a good rookie year, but also a wildly overrated rookie year.  And, that in and of itself was fine.

But, he had two pretty poor training camps in a row, so it's hard to say what you would have gotten from him if he was available.

I don't think expectations should change at all based on losing a big ??? at right tackle.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Brown was all-pro 10 years ago. He's 37 and on the decline. 

We're talking about ceilings.

I know you hate Becton and all but his ceiling was massive. If Brown was still playing at an all-pro level he wouldn't have been a free agent in August. Get real.

He was a pro bowl player last year.  
If Bectons ceiling is that high, he can prove it next year.  Until then this is our best alternative right now.  This OL has talent, you don’t need a RT to be all world on this OL

Whats so difficult? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, ZachEY said:

He had a good rookie year, but also a wildly overrated rookie year.  And, that in and of itself was fine.

But, he had two pretty poor training camps in a row, so it's hard to say what you would have gotten from him if he was available.

I don't think expectations should change at all based on losing a big ??? at right tackle.

Yeah, I think the concern for me started last year during camp when he was apparently terrible and the coaches were basically calling him out in press conferences. 

It might even be better for us that we lost him now, a full month before the season rather than having him play poorly from the start or just be in and out of the lineup all year. 

• Sympathy 1

Brown is experienced, and has consistently played at a very high level. Even if he is on the downside, he'll have a very good linemate to his side (left or right, wherever he ends up,) and his ability to gel quickly with the rest of the line will be part of his value. Cohesion and communication are keys here: folks are underrating how important it is that the middle three of this line have the potential to be an elite group, and that will help Brown/Fant/Mitchell get it together.

• Sympathy 1