Jets sign Duane Brown

I had my doubts this was going to happen when it dragged on all week. Glad it finally got done.

Interested to see who plays LT and who moves to the right. Fant is better equipped to make the move, though he is better on the left. Brown has never played on the right at all.

The 2 year thing is interesting, and I am keen to see the structure. Could well be that the 2nd year is a phony one to spread out the cap hit. Jets were originally looking at Brown as a backup, but probably has to get creative to pay him more as a starter following the Becton injury.

My guess: 2 years, $25M with a $2M base this year and an $10M signing bonus.

Edit: Just saw the actual figures of 2 years and $22M. The structure will tell us a lot, once that is available. But the numbers aren't out of whack based on current market for starting OTs.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Wish they had signed Morgan Moses to two years, we wouldn't be freaking out as much the last few days.

In all fairness, Moses didn't want to sign a multi-year deal here.  He wanted only a 1 year deal, thus, betting on himself to get a better multi-year deal later on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas paid the price for not realizing that Becton was tissue paper.   He got bent over.

Now, if Brown actually plays well then I have no issue with the cost but we better finally get a vet who is not using the jets for his loafing around retirement plan as we usually do.

Not bent over... but definitely paid a premium... I expect a back loaded deal that will be probably around 8-10 Mil ish total for 1 year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Alka said:

In all fairness, Moses didn't want to sign a multi-year deal here.  He wanted only a 1 year deal, thus, betting on himself to get a better multi-year deal later on.

Moses was mediocre to average the Jets fans have just over hyped this guy... he let up 49 Pressures last year... Thats a lot for a 'premium' RT

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

My guess: 2 years, $25M with a $2M base this year and an $10M signing bonus.

One of us is way, way off!!  I would have thought in the neighbor hood of $5 to $7 Milliion per year.

Uh, I just saw that he got $22 Million for 2 years.  It seems that I am the one who is way, way off!!!

Edited by Alka
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alka said:

One of us is way, way off!!  I would have thought in the neighbor hood of $5 to $7 Milliion per year.

22 Million

So 4 Million base.. 4-6 Million signing bonus . 10 Million Roster bonus next year and 2 Mill incentives is my guess.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

He might have signed for that pre-Becton injury, as a backup.

Once Becton got hurt, the price went up and it was always going to be in the $10M+ per year range, I think.

• Upvote 1

Brown is absolutely playing LT and Fant is going back to the right side.

The Jets moved AVT to RG because they didn’t want to screw around with shifting Tomlinson who has played LG his entire career.

Why would they suddenly do it with Brown who plays a much more important position and is a 5x pro-bowler?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's wild to think about how aggressive JD has been this year. There is no way we would've signed a 37 year old in August to 22 mil over 2 years in 2020. 

Even the Moses deal last year was a bargain.

I just respect the ability to pivot based on situation. This needed to happen. 

JD knows he has to win some games this year. 

Another 4-13 campaign probably gets him fired. 

The time for excuses is over 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's wild to think about how aggressive JD has been this year. There is no way we would've signed a 37 year old in August to 22 mil over 2 years in 2020. 

That’s because in 2020 we weren’t just  one expensive vet player away from competing.  

We also didn’t have a young nucleus that we needed to develop to ensure continuing success.  

There’s much more on the line this year then there was in 2020. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Well, he really did have, essentially, a 3 year plan.

Year's 1 and 2 were just cleaning up Mac's mess - And it was necessary if you wanted to finally do this right - It seemed pretty clear W's and L's weren't important the past years.

This was always going to be the year it was time to starting building and winning.  

• Upvote 1