Jets sign Duane Brown

On 8/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, addage said:

That is true. But what are the odds Becton goes on from here to have a successful career. Unfortunately, not very good.

It’s probable that Becton has to restructure his body to have a real shot at reviving his career. Weight in the 340-355 range. Far more conditioning and reduction of body fat. (Parenthetically, I couldn’t do it)  Even then, the odds aren’t great.

I wish him well and hope I am wrong.  But if asked, I’d be telling JD to plan for a replacement.

Not very good based on what?

Injuries happen, they've all had them, some of the best, and sometimes luck, good and bad plays a role.

This narrative that has been created about Becton's weight is also message board fodder. His rookie year wasn't an issue, last year his injury had nothing to do with his weight, and this year's injury had nothing to do with it as he came into camp in good shape.

The punditry is out of control, and naive.

It sucks he got hurt, he's 22 yrs old with massive potential, rooting for him to come back and reach his potential.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

On 8/12/2022 at 6:12 PM, Facts said:

No he hasn’t.

Peyron Manning was still playing the last year that Duane Brown played well (literally).

He hasnt been good in 7 years. There is a reason why Houston didn’t want to pay him and Seattle cut him and he was available in AUGUST.90EA4B96-688F-40E9-B053-16F9546A0224.thumb.jpeg.73df557116b15f0cc2731e5e4db87312.jpeg

He allowed over 30 pressures last year, including 15 pressures in a 5 game stretch. 

Yo have no sides what you’re talking about.  He had a down year, his worst and still wasn’t as bad as this post claims

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yo have no sides what you’re talking about.  He had a down year, his worst and still wasn’t as bad as this post claims

Yeah he’s a superstar. Only available in august because he wanted to play for Saleh so bad.

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Injuries happen, they've all had them, some of the best, and sometimes luck, good and bad plays a role.

This narrative that has been created about Becton's weight is also message board fodder. His rookie year wasn't an issue, last year his injury had nothing to do with his weight, and this year's injury had nothing to do with it as he came into camp in good shape.

It sucks he got hurt, he's 22 yrs old with massive potential, rooting for him to come back and reach his potential.

Completing 8 out of 50 games is enormously significant and suggesting otherwise is naive.  His rookie year is ancient history.  His rookie contract is almost up.  He will be going into his FOURTH NFL season having not played football for 2 full years.   

He is a proven "injury prone" player who is undisciplined and it's obvious at this point that comfort eating is more important than football to him.  The writing is on the wall for Becton.  It would be an unexpected about-face from his current career trajectory if he came back and contributed to an NFL team moving forward.

I'm rooting for Becton to come back as well, but the reality is that even after surgery, that knee is a crap-shoot to stay intact carrying 370+ lbs. Its bad luck that hes gotten injured, but that doesnt matter at this point. 

He would have much better chances to come back successful at a lower weight but he hasnt shown, so far, the desire to come in to came 40-50 lbs lighter. 

Not very good based on the facts.

Becton has played in 15 games out of a potential 51.  The first 3 years of his rookie contract total $8.385M or c. $559k per game (15 of 51).  If you value those $ based on games actually played, he represents a contract worth $28.507M.  If you did the calculation based on minutes played, it would be far worse.

I don't know about you, but I imagine JD and team might be wondering if that kind of contract value might be better used on a more durable player.

After Becton's injury last year, we all sat around hoping that this year would be different.  We saw him skip voluntary workouts and arrive in minicamp overweight and out of shape.  And the reality is, this year is different:  it's worse.

As a Jets fan, I hope you are right and I am wrong.  But, again, the odds are, we are made a bet on potential and lost.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Lol. And to think people were freaking out that we overpaid.

Yup.  OTC is showing $9M fully guaranteed: I assume that is his $7.88 signing bonus and $1.12 22 base.  Not sure how the void years impact future cap hits, but if his $9M base for 23 is not guaranteed, we should be able to get out of it next season if necessary.  And if he still plays at a high level, $11.57M cap hit is not too high for a starting LT.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  OTC is showing $9M fully guaranteed: I assume that is his $7.88 signing bonus and $1.12 22 base.  Not sure how the void years impact future cap hits, but if his $9M base for 23 is not guaranteed, we should be able to get out of it next season if necessary.  And if he still plays at a high level, $11.57M cap hit is not too high for a starting LT.

Yes.  Jason's calculation seems in line with this, so the numbers must be recent and valid.  He shows them getting $10M in cap relief if they cut him post June 1, 2023.  I was I was kind of surprised that they went for three void years.  I know they are getting close to the cap this year, but that sure spreads the hit on that bonus around.  I guess that makes the hit so minimal that nobody will complain about the dead money.  Leaves them a bit of leeway to potentially still make some moves.  I guess a little more than $6M to spend on cap casualties, roll over, or move around this year to save for next.   

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

It's possible. Just a possibility. Say Brown plays well, remains healthy. IF Fant's contract demands don't align w/Joe's, he could let Fant walk. For '23 he could sign a Vet OT to compete w/Mitchell at RT and draft another LT prospect.  Whether Brown starts or the rook depends how the rook looks.

Details of Duane Brown's Jets contract released

Billy Riccette 

August 16, 2022 10:50 am ET

The details on new Jets’ left tackle Duane Brown have been released, thanks to ESPN’s Field Yates.

Brown has a two-year contract worth $22 million that includes a $7.88 million signing bonus. His base salary for 2022 will be $1.12 million and he will make $9 million in base salary in 2023. He also gets a $1 million roster bonus each year. Only the $9 million in 2022 is guaranteed.

Buy Jets Tickets

The Jets also added three void years to the contract to lower the cap charges, particularly in this first year of the deal. This allows the Jets to spread the $7.88 million cap hit across five years, rather than two. As a result, Brown will count just $3.696 million against the cap in 2022. That cap hit jumps to $11.576 million in 2023, thanks to the $9 million base salary. The Jets could, theoretically, move on from Brown after this season and only be left with $6.304 million in dead money and would save about $5.2 million in cap space.

With the voided years, the Jets will have $4.728 million in dead money in 2024, since the remaining cap hits from the void years with accelerate to 2024.

As ESPN’s Rich Cimini pointed out on Twitter, this is an unusual deal for the Jets. They typically don’t deal with void years on contracts. In this case, had the Jets not added void years, Brown’s cap hit for 2022 would have been $6.06 million ($3.94 million signing bonus charge).

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Details of Duane Brown's Jets contract released

Billy Riccette 

August 16, 2022 10:50 am ET

The details on new Jets’ left tackle Duane Brown have been released, thanks to ESPN’s Field Yates.

Brown has a two-year contract worth $22 million that includes a $7.88 million signing bonus. His base salary for 2022 will be $1.12 million and he will make $9 million in base salary in 2023. He also gets a $1 million roster bonus each year. Only the $9 million in 2022 is guaranteed.

Buy Jets Tickets

The Jets also added three void years to the contract to lower the cap charges, particularly in this first year of the deal. This allows the Jets to spread the $7.88 million cap hit across five years, rather than two. As a result, Brown will count just $3.696 million against the cap in 2022. That cap hit jumps to $11.576 million in 2023, thanks to the $9 million base salary. The Jets could, theoretically, move on from Brown after this season and only be left with $6.304 million in dead money and would save about $5.2 million in cap space.

With the voided years, the Jets will have $4.728 million in dead money in 2024, since the remaining cap hits from the void years with accelerate to 2024.

As ESPN’s Rich Cimini pointed out on Twitter, this is an unusual deal for the Jets. They typically don’t deal with void years on contracts. In this case, had the Jets not added void years, Brown’s cap hit for 2022 would have been $6.06 million ($3.94 million signing bonus charge).

Cap is supposed to greatly increase next season when the new NFL TV contracts go into effect

On 8/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, addage said:

Not very good based on the facts.

Becton has played in 15 games out of a potential 51.  The first 3 years of his rookie contract total $8.385M or c. $559k per game (15 of 51).  If you value those $ based on games actually played, he represents a contract worth $28.507M.  If you did the calculation based on minutes played, it would be far worse.

I don't know about you, but I imagine JD and team might be wondering if that kind of contract value might be better used on a more durable player.

After Becton's injury last year, we all sat around hoping that this year would be different.  We saw him skip voluntary workouts and arrive in minicamp overweight and out of shape.  And the reality is, this year is different:  it's worse.

As a Jets fan, I hope you are right and I am wrong.  But, again, the odds are, we are made a bet on potential and lost.

Who gives a sh*t about the contract?

Durability is a concern, but I chalk it up more to bad luck than anything else at this point in time.

He skipped voluntary workouts to be around for the birth of his son, if that wasn't the case, then maybe you have an argument.

Bottomline, he hasn't had a good start to his career, there are question marks, but it's still too early to write him off.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, BeaconJet said:

I'm rooting for Becton to come back as well, but the reality is that even after surgery, that knee is a crap-shoot to stay intact carrying 370+ lbs. Its bad luck that hes gotten injured, but that doesnt matter at this point. 

He would have much better chances to come back successful at a lower weight but he hasnt shown, so far, the desire to come in to came 40-50 lbs lighter. 

He has a fractured bone, not a blown knee.