Jets sign Duane Brown

Although I was initially against signing Brandon Shell given the recent developments he should be signed as a backup Would be a upgrade over Edoga and McDermott for sure as we wait until Mitchell is ready to start which hopefully is soon 

• Upvote 3

I am sure they spoke with Fant,  that they need him at RT this year.  Fant will get his extension with LT money.  Move back to LT next year.  Brown will be a backup next year.  Gives Max a year to develop.

If Max is ready they cut Brown,  Becton.  Sits on the sidelines or is traded.  While they draft a 1st or 2nd round Tackle next year.  Good news for Zachary.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I know that we got him to address an urgent need, but this is a great pickup, period. NFL.com ranked him #14 of all 2022 free agents.

So happy to have him. With how ZW is progressing in camp, and what he needs to keep working on (being comfortable in the pocket, getting his reads down, making the easy throws); having good protection is only going to help him chill out and keep progressing. If he can avoid having to run for his life as much as possible, he can keep developing to match the talent he has.

Who knows where our O line is in terms of rankings, it just feels very competent and seasoned. Now these guys just need to play a bunch of snaps together and develop chemistry. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Green Truth said:

I am sure they spoke with Fant,  that they need him at RT this year.  Fant will get his extension with LT money.  Move back to LT next year.  Brown will be a backup next year.  Gives Max a year to develop.

If Max is ready they cut Brown,  Becton.  Sits on the sidelines or is traded.  While they draft a 1st or 2nd round Tackle next year.  Good news for Zachary.

Or give Max a couple of years to develop. The two year deal is great.

• Upvote 1

Worthless to bring up PFF stats with Brown last year:

- First of all Wilson missed a ton of games and was replaced by Smith (that will affect sack numbers)

- Second, did SEA run the same blocking scheme that we do.  How did that affect his sack numbers

We should be called the Wild Wild West Jets.

First Q. Will and now Brown...

Brown, who turns 37 later this month, has been in the NFL since 2008 as a member of the Texans and later the Seahawks. He was arrested last month after allegedly carrying a concealed gun at LAX.

JD probably called QW's lawyer: "Hey, you got this?" and his lawyer replied: "got you covered!"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DoubleDecker said:

Ny Jets Smile GIF by New York Jets

Excited for Zach and the Offense, but cautiously optimistic given the Ryan Kahlil stuff.  Good stuff on the 2 year deal nonetheless! 

This isn’t the Khalil situation. Brown hadn’t retired, he was waiting for an offer. 

I would’ve pursued a RT, but this is the guy they obviously liked after Reiff. This shores up the OL for now. Still expect another addition from camp cut waiver claims unless they really do think Mitchell is close to ready to go. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Worthless to bring up PFF stats with Brown last year:

- First of all Wilson missed a ton of games and was replaced by Smith (that will affect sack numbers)

- Second, did SEA run the same blocking scheme that we do.  How did that affect his sack numbers

When they talk about QBs holding onto the ball too long Russel Wilson is the poster boy for that.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Ouch

26 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Spread out the money... typical

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

Maybe we can pontificate for the next year on why brown got 2 years and what the means for Fant / Mitchell....?

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I would think this is a 2-year-deal in name only.  Prior to this, we only had about 8M in cap space.  I'd imagine a 2nd year was added to spread some signing bonus out and make it more affordable this year.  Likely means some dead money next year, but nothing we shouldn't be able to handle easily.

22 Mil.... Jesus... They had to do a 2 year to make the money work

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, NYSportsKing said:

Interesting to note it's a 2 year deal. Wonder about the details of that and if Jets have an out after this year or if Brown will compete for a starting spot in 2023 as well.

I think we have an out with Mekhi. What a fvckin waste. 

• Thumb Down 1