Jets sign Duane Brown

26 minutes ago, PorP said:

Maybe we can pontificate for the next year on why brown got 2 years and what the means for Fant / Mitchell....?

So next year we're not faced with the same dilemma trying to find a back up T.

If Mitchell grows - he can start.  If not they can draft another T or sign a high ticket FA - or if they let Fant walk etc.. 

Ultimately having Brown next year gives the Jet far more options.

if JD gave Moses a bit more money and got a two year deal he would be in better shape right now.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, PorP said:

I don't know how to do the fancy tweety posty thing..

But FWIW. Connor tweeted that brown had choices with playoff contenders and chose the jets.... he said he thinks it says a lot about Saleh's culture. 

The Jets are a playoff contender. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Although I was initially against signing Brandon Shell given the recent developments he should be signed as a backup Would be a upgrade over Edoga and McDermott for sure as we wait until Mitchell is ready to start which hopefully is soon 

Indeed. Jets thought they needed a veteran backup Tackle before Becton got hurt, so they still need a veteran backup Tackle now.

I'd bring in Shell too, who has played both sides at times in the NFL. He's at least low-tier starter calibre, which Edoga and McDermott absolutely are not.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Should’ve signed him sooner (could’ve signed him to a less expensive deal months ago), but better late than never. 

Wonder how this will affect negotiations with Fant. He’s going to want a bigger contract than what Brown just got. 

OT will be a priority for next year’s draft regardless. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, shuler82 said:

The Jets are a playoff contender. 

Yeah, Connor Hughes is a very negative beat writer. 

The Jets are absolutely a playoff contender.  With Brown being here - it'll really come down to two things - Health and ZW.  But if they stay healthy and ZW takes a solid step (not massive) the Jets will absolutely be in the playoff mix in Dec.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, KRL said:

Worthless to bring up PFF stats with Brown last year:

- First of all Wilson missed a ton of games and was replaced by Smith (that will affect sack numbers)

- Second, did SEA run the same blocking scheme that we do.  How did that affect his sack numbers

Agree with PFF and point one.

Point 2 - pass blocking is fairly uniform.  Zone blocking is for the run game.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s a pivotal year for our young franchise QB.

And I sure as sh*t don’t want to see Chuma Edoga as an opening day starter.

Who cares what they spent to make it happen? It’s not coming out of my pocket.

nothing but quite the different tune all of a sudden 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Is this a Joe Douglas "2 year deal that we can cut the player after 1 year w/o any penalty" deal?

That would be beautiful!

Doubtful, as they had less than $9M in cap space before this signing. More likely that he’s just on the roster next year. Whether as a starter or backup will remain to be seen. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

22 mil for a 37 year old.....

Imagine if Mac had done this....lol

You guys really do have JD sunglasses on

JD has earned trust.

It's a lot of money but the multi-billion dollar Jets organization all depends on whether Zach Wilson gets shell-shocked. 

Do everything to protect the young QB. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Indeed. Jets thought they needed a veteran backup Tackle before Becton got hurt, so they still need a veteran backup Tackle now.

I'd bring in Shell too, who has played both sides at times in the NFL. He's at least low-tier starter calibre, which Edoga and McDermott absolutely are not.

They brought in 2

It will be interesting who plays right or left.  I always kind of thought of Fant more as an LT than RT, but Brown certainly has the better CV.  They played together in Seattle and I think Seattle traded for Brown the year that Fant got hurt in camp (2017).  The last time Brown missed any time, it was Fant that took his spot. 

From a continuation standpoint there are positives to keeping Fant at LT, but maybe not as much as we are initially thinking.  I think that they started last season with Becton at LT and AVT at LG.  With Tomlinson they will be flipping AVT to RG, so if Fant is that one that moves, he will be moving but staying next to AVT.  On the other hand, that will mean that 4 of the 5 positions will be different than last season and I think we all know how long it took for everybody to mesh.    

Should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Some of you guys put far too much weight into the salary cap.

Yes, it's important for sure.  But we still have no superstar that's going to require $30mm a year any time soon.

Cap can be manipulated year in and year out ----- we've led the league in cap space for like the past 5 years.

It's time to win games and deal with the cap when you have to - be smart but don't build scared!

It's situations like this precisely why it's wise to leave some cap space open and then use it.

Our RT just went down for the year - I can't think of a better use of that money right now.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is a close to zero chance JD gets fired after this year - regardless of the record.  He is the first GM this team has had that has shown even a basic level of competence in over a decade.  

JD isn't going anywhere for quite some time and nor should he.

I strongly disagree. 

If this team tanks again this year, the media will turn on JD and Woody (who was off in England when he was hired) will feel pressure to make a change. I wouldn't guarantee that JD gets fired in such a scenario, but the possibility is nowhere near zero, IMO. 

• Thumb Down 3

43 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

This is an online forum. We don't pontificate. We beat useless/irrelevant topics to death. 

You're the only one quoting my post for far that got it was fececius and picking fun at the board members lol. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Should’ve signed him sooner (could’ve signed him to a less expensive deal months ago), but better late than never. 

It takes two to tango.  Brown likely wanted to sign with a team that was going to give him a realistic chance to start.

Jets couldn't offer that until Becton went down.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I watched a bunch of Seahawks games last year because it was fun to root against them and what I noticed is Wilson held onto the ball way too long and ran around in circles a lot.....  I wonder if that had anything to do with Browns numbers being so bad.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I strongly disagree. 

If this team tanks again this year, the media will turn on JD and Woody (who was off in England when he was hired) will feel pressure to make a change. I wouldn't guarantee that JD gets fired in such a scenario, but the possibility is nowhere near zero, IMO. 

This. No matter the reason, 4 wins ( and probably 5) will require firings just to keep the wolves at bay.

• Upvote 2