Jets sign Duane Brown

JetsFanatic

1 hour ago, NYSportsKing said:

Interesting to note it's a 2 year deal. Wonder about the details of that and if Jets have an out after this year or if Brown will compete for a starting spot in 2023 as well.

I wonder who had the position of strength at that meeting… Thank you JD, Thank you.  SMH.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I don't think either Benenoch or Glaser are worthy of a roster spot. Can't see either of them as legit options as the 3rd Tackle.

Thanks for the names I forgot them. They have started before so I don't see why they wouldn't compete for that position.

47 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I had my doubts this was going to happen when it dragged on all week. Glad it finally got done.

Interested to see who plays LT and who moves to the right. Fant is better equipped to make the move, though he is better on the left. Brown has never played on the right at all.

The 2 year thing is interesting, and I am keen to see the structure. Could well be that the 2nd year is a phony one to spread out the cap hit. Jets were originally looking at Brown as a backup, but probably has to get creative to pay him more as a starter following the Becton injury.

My guess: 2 years, $25M with a $2M base this year and an $10M signing bonus.

Edit: Just saw the actual figures of 2 years and $22M. The structure will tell us a lot, once that is available. But the numbers aren't out of whack based on current market for starting OTs.

Mike White or Sheldon Rankins may have to go to save some cap space.  My guess?  You flip Mike White for a 6th or a 7th.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Thanks for the names I forgot them. They have started before so I don't see why they wouldn't compete for that position.

Benenoch does have some starting experience as a Guard, but he was pretty bad. I don't think he has started at Tackle.

Glaser is a rookie UDFA who is best suited at Guard.

McDermott and Chuma are pretty bad, but are both probably better tackles than the new guys if healthy, IMO.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's wild to think about how aggressive JD has been this year. There is no way we would've signed a 37 year old in August to 22 mil over 2 years in 2020. 

Even the Moses deal last year was a bargain.

I just respect the ability to pivot based on situation. This needed to happen. 

Like all those congratulating MAC by drafting Darnold after Mac passed on 3 top QB’s his past 2 years.  Having to trade 3 seconds to get Darnold. What a joke our front office is.  JD fixing his own mess is not something to get excited about.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Like all those congratulating MAC by drafting Darnold after Mac passed on 3 top QB’s his past 2 years.  Having to trade 3 seconds to get Darnold. What a joke our front office is.  JD fixing his own mess is not something to get excited about.  

I see your point but unlike our past GM's he at least makes the best move possible to remedy. No GM will ever be perfect.

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

It takes two to tango.  Brown likely wanted to sign with a team that was going to give him a realistic chance to start.

Jets couldn't offer that until Becton went down.

Eh, those weren’t the only options. We know for a fact that Becton was +400lbs while he was “rehabbing” this offseason by his nutritionist’s public statement. We also knew he wasn’t going to make it through a 17-game season. That was never going to happen. Could’ve traded him or told him he was competing for a roster spot rather than the designated starting RT. 

This notion that Brown and Morgan Moses would only sign if they were going to be starters is complete speculation. Players want money. 

It is what it is though. This is a good signing. 

• Upvote 2

Happy with the outcome but JD the gambler lost the bet he made on Becton making it farther into training camp.  The slow play on filling the insurance policy cost us a year and several million dollars.  Less worried about the year as we all probably wish we were able to sign Moses to 2 years last July.  So it’s really more the contract value.

Could he reasonably have expected Becton to suffer this type of injury .. this early?  Probably not.  But given the overall risk level, I still wish he was a little more proactive and locked someone up before TC.  That’s what he did with Moses last year.  Sometimes, a penny wise and a pound foolish.  

Good GMs learn from mistakes and I’d expect JD to do a post mortem on (1) drafting a high upside/bust prospect in Becton and (2) not being more aggressive filling the backup OT before an injury that did happen could happen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Wonder how this will affect negotiations with Fant. He’s going to want a bigger contract than what Brown just got. 

If Fant is the one that moves to RT, I think that might spell the end for Fant as Jet beyond this season.  I can't see them doing this, keeping Brown at LT, and then moving Fant back to LT next season with a new contract while cutting Brown.  I dunno, just seems like a lot of movement at an important position on the field.  And I doubt Fant is going to appreciate getting bumped to RT, either.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You dont need to make an argument. That's already a fact. 

Well, I think Becton had a lot of potential if healthy (remember how good he ha been in the run game), but a reliable and healthy Becton was always a bit of a pipe dream, so it really doesn't matter. 

Very happy with the signing - I don't think we could have done better this late in the offseason. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

The contract tells me JD has moved on from thinking draft picks and is now thinking about winning 

and the cap is a myth. 

this is glorious news!!!!!

Why? He'll probably still draft a T in the first round next year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why? He'll probably still draft a T in the first round next year. 

Correct but last year was “an investment year “ they played Nas and Sherwood. Sherwood was the worst defender I’ve seen the Jets put out there 

this is not an investment year, it’s a win games year. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Mike White or Sheldon Rankins may have to go to save some cap space.  My guess?  You flip Mike White for a 6th or a 7th.  

Mike White?  For cap space?  He makes $2.5M.  Almost any replacement is going to take up $1M.  Maybe Rankins, but they are not in cap hell.  They can make the moves they want. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Absolutely not.  Becton will be competing for the RT position in camp next year.  They key word here is competing.

That's what you're going with for 365 days? 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Becton was a bad pick by JD.

Fant & Moses were excellent signings.

And I expect Duane Brown to be solid this year.

Fair?

• Upvote 2

We had to do it. 2 thoughts:

1) It's not abut the $22 million bu what the guaranteed money is.

2) JD learned from his Moses mistake and locked up a veteran swing OT for 2023 (at minimum) and (worst case) a possible starting OT for 2023.

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Fant is the one that moves to RT, I think that might spell the end for Fant as Jet beyond this season.  I can't see them doing this, keeping Brown at LT, and then moving Fant back to LT next season with a new contract while cutting Brown.  I dunno, just seems like a lot of movement at an important position on the field.  And I doubt Fant is going to appreciate getting bumped to RT, either.

Yeah, I think this is all pretty interesting.

Seattle OL coach was full of praise for Duane Brown, but thought he needed to start at LT.  Said DB has never played on the right before, but Fant has.  Said it is comparable to learning to use your left hand if you are right handed.  Interesting.  Definitely liked DB and thought he still had tread on the tires.  Salary cap cut for Hawks (thank you again, Jamal).

Saw a statement earlier in the stream that they were going to talk about it once DB was in camp.  Find that hard to believe.  The delay in signing DB might have had as much to do with discussing things with Fant as in the negotiations over contract.

Don't agree that a Fant move to RT signals his departure.  I think it makes him even more valuable.  

Fun to watch how this all plays out.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Should’ve signed him sooner (could’ve signed him to a less expensive deal months ago), but better late than never. 

Wonder how this will affect negotiations with Fant. He’s going to want a bigger contract than what Brown just got. 

OT will be a priority for next year’s draft regardless. 

Fant has to be disappointed. That's what I thought when I heard the numbers.

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That's what you're going with for 365 days? 

Surprised to see him even mention the 4th best o-lineman at all...

• Upvote 1