Jets sign Duane Brown

they have Tanny covering on the MKS this week and yesterday he said he would not sign him cause he hasnt participated in a offseason program yet this year. then he brought up Ryan Kalil as an example. also said there is a reason nobody has sign him and its Aug. 

i hope hes wrong but its something to think about

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Becton was a bad pick by JD.

Fant & Moses were excellent signings.

And I expect Duane Brown to be solid this year.

Fair?

I would tend to agree but drafting is by far the most important function of a GM.    You cant overcome it.  If a GM drafts poorly, we will at best look like the 2015 Jets. Bunch of old vets playing for a final paycheck with no real future. We need youth.  See post right above this one.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Good news.  Will be interesting to see where he plays -- RT or LT. 

Either way, I am happier with Brown and Sauce than Ickey.  Worry about a long term fix for the right side next offseason (assuming we extend Fant).

I don't see how they don't play Fant at RT. Brown has never played there and Fant has. Even though Fant was not great there, it's  probably better than Brown learning a new position at this stage of his career

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

they have Tanny covering on the MKS this week and yesterday he said he would not sign him cause he hasnt participated in a offseason program yet this year. then he brought up Ryan Kalil as an example. also said there is a reason nobody has sign him and its Aug. 

Tanny is a good listen. That guy Dan Grassa is unlistenable, however. FWIW, no matter how you feel about what Tanny did here, the three guys going into the Ring of Honor were all his picks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Tanny is a good listen. That guy Dan Grassa is unlistenable, however. FWIW, no matter how you feel about what Tanny did here, the three guys going into the Ring of Honor were all his picks. 

It’s nice for Tanny that he got a good gig post Dolphins firing.  That being said, history has shown us, time and time again, who might have actually been responsible for those picks, and it wasn’t Tannenbaum.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I would tend to agree but drafting is by far the most important function of a GM.    You cant overcome it.  If a GM drafts poorly, we will at best look like the 2015 Jets. Bunch on vets playing for a final paycheck with no real future. We need youth.  See post right above this one.  

Yup, drafting is the #1 job of a GM.

I can't think of a GM that never misses in the draft, but the good ones are able to overcome their mistakes via other moves - looks like JD has that capacity, which is a good sign.

Once again the focus is back to Zach and the 'year two jump' as opposed to 'Conor McDermott might actually have to play'. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Like all those congratulating MAC by drafting Darnold after Mac passed on 3 top QB’s his past 2 years.  Having to trade 3 seconds to get Darnold. What a joke our front office is.  JD fixing his own mess is not something to get excited about.  

On what planet do you live where a T who made the pro bowl a year ago, his fifth signs for less money?   

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

Tanny has been picking Tampa to get to the SB this year because, wait for it, Todd Bowles is a great HC.  Better than Arians and similar to Belichick.

Best line of the morning, what the difference between Bowles and Belichick other than SB wins.  Now that’s smartly done.

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

35 minutes ago, addage said:

Yeah, I think this is all pretty interesting.

Seattle OL coach was full of praise for Duane Brown, but thought he needed to start at LT.  Said DB has never played on the right before, but Fant has.  Said it is comparable to learning to use your left hand if you are right handed.  Interesting.  Definitely liked DB and thought he still had tread on the tires.  Salary cap cut for Hawks (thank you again, Jamal).

Saw a statement earlier in the stream that they were going to talk about it once DB was in camp.  Find that hard to believe.  The delay in signing DB might have had as much to do with discussing things with Fant as in the negotiations over contract.

Don't agree that a Fant move to RT signals his departure.  I think it makes him even more valuable.  

Fun to watch how this all plays out.

Only if Fant proves he can play RT well, which I doubt.  He's struggled there, as he's a much better pass blocker than run blocker.

If Fant is only valuable as a LT, then it becomes a "him or Duane" situation next offseason.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Doubtful, as they had less than $9M in cap space before this signing. More likely that he’s just on the roster next year. Whether as a starter or backup will remain to be seen. 

It all depends on a) the signing bonus, b) the guaranteed $ and c) if it was backloaded for 2023.

They could have handed him a check today for $12 million and he only counts $6 million against this year's cap. Assuming a low guaranteed salary for this year (ex $1 million) and some guaranteed salary in 2023. Let's say it's $2 million. That would guarantee DB $15 million with a $7 million cap hit now and $8 million next year.

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Theres no alternative.  He has no trade value.  And you would not cut him until you get a look at him in camp.

Come on dude...................

Mekhi Becton will be flat released with a medical designation. 

You have been wrong about virtually everything in regards to Becton. 

YOU come on dude....................................................................................................................................................................

40 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yup, drafting is the #1 job of a GM.

I can't think of a GM that never misses in the draft, but the good ones are able to overcome their mistakes via other moves - looks like JD has that capacity, which is a good sign.

Once again the focus is back to Zach and the 'year two jump' as opposed to 'Conor McDermott might actually have to play'. 

I wont look it up but i imagine the top teams simply draft better in general and have less FA signing needs than we do.  Look at our drafts since 2010 up to and including 2020.  Our 1sts and 2nds are mostly hot garbage.   This comes from poor ownership and Vision. 

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Theres no alternative.  He has no trade value.  And you would not cut him until you get a look at him in camp.

Come on dude...................

Exactly. He has no trade value now.  Becton's salary is guaranteed next year so he costs the same keeping him or cutting him. You keep him and roll the dice for 1 more year.

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

On what planet do you live where a T who made the pro bowl a year ago, his fifth signs for less money?   

I am still digesting your defense of Becton.   My point is that we had no option.  We paid full value.  Im happy for the player.  

Bectons fine?  he signs elsewhere for less is my guess.   

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

YOU come on dude....................................................................................................................................................................

It isn't often I agree with Joe but he is right here. The Jets are on the hook for his 4th year. It makes no sense to release him, medical or otherwise, if he can play next season. I have to admit I am doubtful that he will after what just happened but he will be a Jet next season barring a trade which is highly doubtful. 

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

So your saying mekhi's becton knee injury will cause him to be unable to play next year?  Thats 100% false and you grasping at straws.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

So your saying mekhi's becton knee injury will cause him to be unable to play next year?  Thats 100% false and you grasping at straws.

He's only played 1 game in 2 seasons.  It's not exactly "grasping at straws" to suggest he might miss next season too.  

• Haha 2