Jets sign Duane Brown

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mike White?  For cap space?  He makes $2.5M.  Almost any replacement is going to take up $1M.  Maybe Rankins, but they are not in cap hell.  They can make the moves they want. 

There was a discussion about cap issue stuff depending on what Brown was making, and potentially more moves.  There are not many players who can be cut at this point that will save us money, and White is one of them.  He makes $2.5 million with no cap hit.  

Again, I am not advocating for getting rid of White.  I am saying if we absolutely need cap space, the two I suggested are about the only moves you can really make.  And I am sure you could trade White for something, unlike Rankins. 

I mean, sure we COULD cut Fant or McGovern, but that would cause a BIG issue.  

Again, might not be necessary, they could be completely done and somehow made it work this year for Brown with what we had.  

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

There was a discussion about cap issue stuff depending on what Brown was making, and potentially more moves.  There are not many players who can be cut at this point that will save us money, and White is one of them.  He makes $2.5 million with no cap hit.  

Again, I am not advocating for getting rid of White.  I am saying if we absolutely need cap space, the two I suggested are about the only moves you can really make.  And I am sure you could trade White for something, unlike Rankins. 

Again, might not be necessary, they could be completely done and somehow made it work this year for Brown with what we had.  

I don't think they need cap space.  They can easily restructure guys.  I guess dumping White and adding the lowest priced player would save as much as $1.6M.  I don't think they will cut or trade White for cap purposes.  I think they will cut him before week 1 so that he isn't guaranteed and then carry him most of the year back and forth between the practice squad and active. 

Anybody that wanted White could have had him for a 5th and an offer sheet.  Whey would they trade anything for him now? 

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So your saying mekhi's becton knee injury will cause him to be unable to play next year?  Thats 100% false and you grasping at straws.

You dont know that, so its definitely not 100% false. 

If you rewind just a year or even a couple weeks, if I were to say Becton would miss this year, you would have said that's false too. Welp. 

The Jets will release Becton next year, on the hook for his 4th season or not. Its inevitable. Best case scenario, he gets flipped for a conditional 5th/6th round pick. 

I have been right about literally every single thing to do with Becton since 10 minutes before we drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

they have Tanny covering on the MKS this week and yesterday he said he would not sign him cause he hasnt participated in a offseason program yet this year. then he brought up Ryan Kalil as an example. also said there is a reason nobody has sign him and its Aug. 

i hope hes wrong but its something to think about

It's a fair point, but did Tanny say who they should have acquired instead?  The choices were to sign a street FA who hasn't been in an offseason program or to give up assets in a trade for someone who has.  Neither is ideal, but you play the cards you're dealt.

Also, not all players who weren't in an offseason program come in at the same conditioning level.  By all accounts, Kwon Alexander showed up ready to go.  Ryan Kalil obviously did not (but as someone else here mentioned, Kalil had let his conditioning go because he was retired, not just unsigned).  We don't know where Brown falls on that spectrum, and I doubt Tanny does either.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

If you look at the cut post June 1 numbers on over the cap Sheldon rankins  saves 5 million 

You can restructure Mosley, Lawson or Davis and save 5-9 million 

keep an eye on dl rotation tomorrow will give some ideas...im curious when they play marshal and how far into game they play him.  They seem to like Shepard too for some reason.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I remember last year when there was that quote floating around when Fant said that making the move from RT to LT was learning how to pitch lefty if you're a right.  So you would think it should be an easy transition back to what apparently is more natural for him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

I remember last year when there was that quote floating around when Fant said that making the move from RT to LT was learning how to pitch lefty if you're a right.  So you would think it should be an easy transition back to what apparently is more natural for him.

LT traditionally make more $ and he wants them to

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47xe16znmt7bish0kqvy

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

There’s no way in hell the Jets are paying Brown to come in and make the switch to RT at 37 years old.

He’s not the player he was 5 years ago but he’s still coming off a pro-bowl nod and 99.9% of his time on an NFL field has been spent at LT.

I don’t even see how this is a discussion

LT Duane Brown

LG Laken Tomlinson 

C Connor McGovern 

RG Alijah Vera-Tucker

RT George Fant

That’s the starting OL, period.

I kind of disagree.  Protecting Wilson’s blindside is the most important thing.  Fant stays on the left and Brown moves to the right in the twilight of his career.  Something that aging LTs sometimes do.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I am still digesting your defense of Becton.   My point is that we had no option.  We paid full value.  Im happy for the player.  

Bectons fine?  he signs elsewhere for less is my guess.   

Digesting my Becton defense?  
He got paid what pro bowl Ts get paid.  I’m not getting the bitching and moaning over fill the spot of an injured player with a pro bowl player and having to pay him.  I have no idea how it gets beyond that.

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

@Sperm Edwards laid out in detail why the Jets don’t have to cut anybody to squeeze Brown’s contract in. Stop letting @#27TheDominator bait us into cutting Mike White, who is universally beloved by his teammates.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I kind of disagree.  Protecting Wilson’s blindside is the most important thing.  Fant stays on the left and Brown moves to the right in the twilight of his career.  Something that aging LTs sometimes do.

I might disagree with this. I think Wilson gets skittish, so blocking up the right side might be better for him psychologically, simply because he can see that it’s blocked up

32 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

BTW, I was a random lurker here for awhile.

What happened to philc ?

Exactly what you would expect to happen to someone who got repeatedly banned for trolling the forum under 50 different usernames.  I’m sure he’s still here, laying low, though.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You don’t teach an old dog new tricks.

The Jets never had any plans of George Fant playing LT until Becton proved to be massively unreliable.

Fant had a very good year in pass protection on the left side last season, but who’s to say that he even repeats it?

Don’t get cute with it. Stick Brown at LT where he’s made half a decades worth of pro-bowl appearances and put Fant back on the right side where he was intended to play all along.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1