Jets sign Duane Brown

16 minutes ago, Drums said:

A bit surprised on the size of the contract but haven't seen any guarantees yet. If we can cut him after this year (if he doesn't play well), not really a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

2 years 22 million is fine for a starter who made the pro bowl last year so he's still performing at a high enough level even if he falls off a little due to age. It gives the Jets time to sign or draft the future guy next off-season, and let them fight for the job.

I wonder if the guarantees and easy-to-reach incentives equal ~$15 mil, which is probably what his agent would want on a one-year deal with a desperate team. Get the $15 mil and get cut after the year unless he’s absolutely incredible.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You don’t teach an old dog new tricks.

The Jets never had any plans of George Fant playing LT until Becton proved to be massively unreliable.

Fant had a very good year in pass protection on the left side last season, but who’s to say that he even repeats it?

Don’t get cute with it. Stick Brown at LT where he’s made half a decades worth of pro-bowl appearances and put Fant back on the right side where he was intended to play all along.

No disagreement on the soundness of the logic.  It will be interesting to see which way they go.  I would not be shocked if you are right.  We’ll see soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Exactly what you would expect to happen to someone who got repeatedly banned for trolling the forum under 50 different usernames.  I’m sure he’s still here, laying low, though.

Baker Mayfield will be Comeback player of the year and an all pro. Oughtta do it 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

And he’s 37 in 20 days time.

You can completely drop off at any point when you’re that age.

Trust me, I'm well aware. ?.  I started falling apart at around 48-49. Now I can't read print without a magnifying glass, half deaf, and sleeping makes me hurt. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only if Fant proves he can play RT well, which I doubt.  He's struggled there, as he's a much better pass blocker than run blocker.

If Fant is only valuable as a LT, then it becomes a "him or Duane" situation next offseason.  

True. But we fans tend to be digital analyzing players. The pro’s are analog. Fant is a better LT than RT for sure. But he is probably a better RT than Brown.

Jets have to play with the guys on the roster. So the better choice is probably Brown LT and Fant at RT.

And I don’t think Fant is worse than middle third as a RT.

That means that the Jets have two pro-average players at C and RT. A top third pro at LT. And two potential all pros at G.

I can live with that. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry if someone posted this-

Although I am supportive of the DB signing and think it’s a sign JD is playing for real this year, where do the Jets rank in the NFL in terms of cap space for the 5 starting OL?  It’s gotta be up there.  JD needs to find more in the mid-rounds before some players need to get paid. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sorry if someone posted this-

Although I am supportive of the DB signing and think it’s a sign JD is playing for real this year, where do the Jets rank in the NFL in terms of cap space for the 5 starting OL?  It’s gotta be up there.  JD needs to find more in the mid-rounds before some players need to get paid. 

Don't know about starting 5, but according to Spotrac, we are 5th in the league in OL spending, before the Brown signing.  $48.6M.  Eagles are #1 at $51.1M.  Sure looks like this will move us up to #1.

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I'm wondering if he was guaranteed LT where he has played for like 15 ish years

I would prefer Brown play LT.  At 37 he shouldn't be messed around with having to get his footwork down, etc.  He makes sense playing with another talented veteran like Tomlinson.  That combo could be pretty dynamic for the run game.  

Fant has played RT both for the Jets and Seahawks. Last year Fant beat out Moses to start at RT.  Another good reason is he established solid chemistry with AVT last year at LT.  Now both can do the same at RT.  His familiarity playing the right side will be helpful for AVT to make the adjustment.  Brown never played RT.

Anyway,,.that's my take on it.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ok, but that would mean another injury.  The injury he just suffered is not keeping him out next year.

Not playing as a professional football player for 2 straight years is enough for many players to wash out if the league. Let alone the aforementioned 400lb unmotivated kid.

Injury history is only part f what’s working against him.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

They were already in negotiations before Becton went down.  When Becton broke, Brown had all the leverage.  He could name his price at that point.  And it looks like he did.

It’s interesting that they were courting Brown even while Becton was allegedly healthy. Given that they signed Brown to two years/$22 million, you’d have to think the intention was always to sign him as a starter. It’d be hard to believe they were going to give him $11mm AAV to be a backup, or that they were negotiating for backup money, but then doubled it when Becton went down. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Trust me, I'm well aware. ?.  I started falling apart at around 48-49. Now I can't read print without a magnifying glass, half deaf, and sleeping makes me hurt. 

Funny stuff and I'm right there with you pal...

Maybe we should meet up in Atlantic City and rent a room and take a nap!? Lol 

When I wake up at 5:00 a.m. to use the bathroom it sounds like somebody's cracking walnuts~

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I would prefer Brown play LT.  At 37 he shouldn't be messed around with having to get his footwork down, etc.  He makes sense playing with another talented veteran like Tomlinson.  That combo could be pretty dynamic for the run game.  

Fant has played RT both for the Jets and Seahawks. Last year Fant beat out Moses to start at RT.  Another good reason is he established solid chemistry with AVT last year at LT.  Now both can do the same at RT.  His familiarity playing the right side will be helpful for AVT to make the adjustment.  Brown never played RT.

Anyway,,.that's my take on it.  

I think Fant's build and athleticism make him more suitable as a LT. Not saying he's as good, but built like D'Brick. More athletic than strong. Brown seems to be more of a power guy and probably not as quick on his feet @ 37. One of our OTs is gonna have to make an adjustment.

• Upvote 1