Jets sign Duane Brown

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

@Sperm Edwards laid out in detail why the Jets don’t have to cut anybody to squeeze Brown’s contract in. Stop letting @#27TheDominator bait us into cutting Mike White, who is universally beloved by his teammates.

I cannot trust anything to do with anything called 'Sperm' who 'lays' anything, no matter the details.  It can lead to all kinds of sticky situations.  

6 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Better than Becton, doubt he would have made it through the season. The one to sign one more after cutdowns. Lets Goooooo!!!

Yeah hopefully becton comes back next year and he plays very well then he has trade value because I still wouldn’t keep the slob

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

We all realize this guy is not the probowler he has been in the last right? He last appearance was on name only. No doubt an upgrade but sure as hell not a league leader at the position based on play last year. 

Good to sign him but let's not blow it out of proportion, much needed signing yes, but not great talent. More like use to be great and now much better than what we had.

Hope we didn't pay too much.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NYSportsKing said:

Interesting to note it's a 2 year deal. Wonder about the details of that and if Jets have an out after this year or if Brown will compete for a starting spot in 2023 as well.

This is great that it’s a 2 year deal because it will take Becton 2 years to recover from this injury. He’ll then report back in 2024, phat and out of shape and undergo yet another injury…. And we’re back where we started. Becton obviously has seen his last days as a NY Jet. Next draft, JD has to target a LT to replace Becton. He has no choice. Becton is not going to be resigned and both Brown and Fant are older vets that need to mentor younger kids to eventually take over. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

They were already in negotiations before Becton went down.  When Becton broke, Brown had all the leverage.  He could name his price at that point.  And it looks like he did.

I suspect the Brown visit was compelled by Becton being fitted for the knee brace.

The timing can’t be a coincidence.

You don’t put a brace on something unless you have concerns about instability.

14 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

And he’s 37 in 20 days time.

You can completely drop off at any point when you’re that age.

I hear what you're saying, but it isn't a given. He isn't a 30+ year old female dependent on his looks to get by so it isn't a given that he's s.o.l. yet. The main variable is how he takes care of himself on a daily basis, and that he wasn't retired sitting around doing nothing last year. He was still performing at a high level (pro bowl) last year as opposed to sitting on the bench behind the guy they drafted to replace him. I'll be 44 in a few weeks, but I look and feel like I'm in my late 20's (not just my opinion), and unlike my coworkers who are in their late 20's I don't need to go to sleep early on a Friday due to exhaustion from the work week. Often it isn't he age it's the mileage. Take care of your body, and your body will take care of you. 

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I hear what you're saying, but it isn't a given. He isn't a 30+ year old female dependent on his looks to get by so it isn't a given that he's s.o.l. yet. The main variable is how he takes care of himself on a daily basis, and that he wasn't retired sitting around doing nothing last year. He was still performing at a high level (pro bowl) last year as opposed to sitting on the bench behind the guy they drafted to replace him. I'll be 44 in a few weeks, but I look and feel like I'm in my late 20's (not just my opinion), and unlike my coworkers who are in their late 20's I don't need to go to sleep early on a Friday due to exhaustion from the work week. Often it isn't he age it's the mileage. Take care of your body, and your body will take care of you. 

Zach Wilson is offended by this statement.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, JetsRay said:

No, the book has not been written on Becton, he's missed two seasons to injury, not over yet.

Glad you have an opinion. Many of us have a contradictory one as represented below. His knee is shot, and he hasn't proven to be the most motivated to get and stay in shape. You can't cheat rehab like you can a diet or leg days. The amply weighted woman below is bellowing for a reason. I'm not happy about it just honest with myself about it. You can't plan on him being healthy and a contributor going forward if you're the Jets. If he beats the odds than that would be a very happy surprise, and I'm certainly rooting for him.   

titus andromedon singing GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

Zach Wilson is offended by this statement.

Sorry Zach, no offense meant. Not all 30+ women fall off a cliff. Just the heavy makeup wearing fake baking slush bags. It's sad or funny (depends on who it is) when you see them now existing as sad sorry echos full of regret for whom time has passed by.  

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Absolutely not.  Becton will be competing for the RT position in camp next year.  They key word here is competing.

Through the first half dozen practices before being injured for the year again. 

Get over yourself. Becton is not a part of this team's plan going forward. You can argue that he shouldn't have been expected to be a part of it this year but including him in the plan likely got us Sauce instead of a T, so I'm grateful for the way it turned out. I'm glad the inevitable didn't drag on into the season. The guy is an immature child with no dedication off the field and on the field... Well, there really is only off the field with him. He's done. Move on.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm talking specifically about athletes. Playing at the level he did at this stage is already freakish. He's barely a year older than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. 

That’s fair. Usually guys here use themselves as the basis for really bad arguments about players.

Ultimately, a valid concern, but I think it’ll play out like we had an aging vet at OT and next year we acquire his eventual replacement.

16 hours ago, JetsRay said:

No, the book has not been written on Becton, he's missed two seasons to injury, not over yet.

That is true. But what are the odds Becton goes on from here to have a successful career. Unfortunately, not very good.

It’s probable that Becton has to restructure his body to have a real shot at reviving his career. Weight in the 340-355 range. Far more conditioning and reduction of body fat. (Parenthetically, I couldn’t do it)  Even then, the odds aren’t great.

I wish him well and hope I am wrong.  But if asked, I’d be telling JD to plan for a replacement.

23 hours ago, Untouchable said:

How?

Shaq Lawson was a mediocre edgerusher who never lived up to his draft status.

Duane Brown has been one of the better LT’s in the league for over a decade.

No he hasn’t.

Peyron Manning was still playing the last year that Duane Brown played well (literally).

23 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Is he the player he once was? No.

But at least we won’t have to sh*t bricks every time Wilson drops back to pass like if Edoga, McDermott or a rookie Max Mitchell were starting.

He hasnt been good in 7 years. There is a reason why Houston didn’t want to pay him and Seattle cut him and he was available in AUGUST.90EA4B96-688F-40E9-B053-16F9546A0224.thumb.jpeg.73df557116b15f0cc2731e5e4db87312.jpeg

He allowed over 30 pressures last year, including 15 pressures in a 5 game stretch. 

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s interesting that they were courting Brown even while Becton was allegedly healthy. Given that they signed Brown to two years/$22 million, you’d have to think the intention was always to sign him as a starter. It’d be hard to believe they were going to give him $11mm AAV to be a backup, or that they were negotiating for backup money, but then doubled it when Becton went down. 

I think that's exactly what happened. Brown was old, unsigned and had little buzz, though he played well recently.  I think this went from a one-year backup deal to a two-year 22mil deal right after Becton went down.  MB. The gift that keeps on giving.

8 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

8 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sorry Zach, no offense meant. Not all 30+ women fall off a cliff. Just the heavy makeup wearing fake baking slush bags. It's sad or funny (depends on who it is) when you see them now existing as sad sorry echos full of regret for whom time has passed by.  

Oof lot of salt in these posts.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Facts said:

No he hasn’t.

Peyron Manning was still playing the last year that Duane Brown played well (literally).

He hasnt been good in 7 years. There is a reason why Houston didn’t want to pay him and Seattle cut him and he was available in AUGUST.90EA4B96-688F-40E9-B053-16F9546A0224.thumb.jpeg.73df557116b15f0cc2731e5e4db87312.jpeg

He allowed over 30 pressures last year, including 15 pressures in a 5 game stretch. 

They did not cut Brown; he was a UFA when Seattle was in a salary dump season for players >30 years old. They’re quite clearly tanking for a 2023 QB (or rather, putting the roster in such a place where they won’t have to intentionally tank games; the talent will take care of that).

Also put Brown’s ~30 pressures into some context:

• 20% of his pressures for the year came in one GB game R.Wilson kept holding the ball.
  • Morgan Moses gave up ~50 pressures at right tackle and people are crying like Douglas myopically gave up on 3rd year Joe Thomas.
  • From the guard position, AVT gave up >40 pressures and he was talked up here like he just came off some near-perfect rookie season.
  • Next to Moses, GVR/LDT combined for almost 60 pressures between them

The above Jets trio further surrendered 30-40 hurries apiece. 

Those hurries/sacks from those other positions also helped boost our other two, whose numbers were far better (Fant & McGovern), since sometimes they perhaps weren’t necessarily stellar individually so much as someone else (or 2-3 others) blocked even worse.

Like the joke about two people running away from a tiger: one doesn’t have to outrun the tiger to survive; he only has to outrun the other guy.

Same principle applies. Fant/McGovern didn’t have to be Ferguson/Mangold in pass protection. They just had to hold their blocks longer than Moses, rookie-AVT, and the scrub-RG duo on any given QB dropback.

We’ll see what happens in 2022, but based on 2021, a tackle duo of Brown/Fant is an upgrade over Fant/Moses.

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They did not cut Brown; he was a UFA when Seattle was in a salary dump season for players >30 years old. They’re quite clearly tanking for a 2023 QB (or rather, putting the roster in such a place where they won’t have to intentionally tank games; the talent will take care of that).

Also put Brown’s ~30 pressures into some context:

• 20% of his pressures for the year came in one GB game R.Wilson kept holding the ball.
  • Morgan Moses gave up ~50 pressures at right tackle and people are crying like Douglas myopically gave up on 3rd year Joe Thomas.
  • From the guard position, AVT gave up >40 pressures and he was talked up here like he just came off some near-perfect rookie season.
  • Next to Moses, GVR/LDT combined for almost 60 pressures between them

The above Jets trio further surrendered 30-40 hurries apiece. 

Those hurries/sacks from those other positions also helped boost our other two, whose numbers were far better (Fant & McGovern), since sometimes they perhaps weren’t necessarily stellar individually so much as someone else (or 2-3 others) blocked even worse.

Like the joke about two people running away from a tiger: one doesn’t have to outrun the tiger to survive; he only has to outrun the other guy.

Same principle applies. Fant/McGovern didn’t have to be Ferguson/Mangold in pass protection. They just had to hold their blocks longer than Moses, rookie-AVT, and the scrub-RG duo on any given QB dropback.

We’ll see what happens in 2022, but based on 2021, a tackle duo of Brown/Fant is an upgrade over Fant/Moses.

Ok you’re right he is a total stud that was still a free agent in August because he was holding out to play for the powerhouse Jets.

• Thumb Down 1