<<<<<<< Jets vs Eagles -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, really.  Why can’t a young QB like Minshew be more than a “stopgap”?  Either I’d like a proper answer now or one tomorrow when you’re in better spirits.

Because Gardner Minshew isn’t a franchise QB no matter how many people here try and will him into being one.

He’s Case Keenum with a weaker arm.  Spot starter, fantastic backup.  Not a long-term solution.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, really.  Why can’t a young QB like Minshew be more than a “stopgap”?  Either I’d like a proper answer now or one tomorrow when you’re in better spirits.

It’s definitely plausible. 

but I strongly prefer Jimmy G:

1) coming from a very similar offense and has familiarity with some of the coaching staff 

2) Former Patriot - might enjoy haunting his old team 

3) plenty of big game experience 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Please. Minshew is a journeyman/JAG. He's a perfect back up, but he's not a starting QB, let alone a long term solution.

And why would Philly trade him? If they have playoff aspirations, he is a  top flight back up and Hurts is a running QB.  Minshew likely isn't going anywhere.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Re-read the post.  The context is that the offense will not be stable with a stop gap in the long run because they are just that: stop. gaps.

Im not interested in re-doing the endless cycle of “vet comes in, plays good for one year, sucks the next, gets replaced with another vet who plays good for one year, and sucks the next”.   I’d rather know what Zach is by the end of the year, and try again in the draft if he isn’t it, than ever watch one single snap of Joe Flacco, Gardner Minshew, or Mike White under center.  That’s just me though.  I know that might not be ideal for those who just want to see short term success because we’ve been so starved, but it’s just my opinion.

As opposed to the draft-a-QB-every-3-years plan that has worked oh so well for this franchise.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Again, I know it’s not happening, but this offense isn’t becoming the Air Raid under Flacco or White.

Redshirt Flacco and White also ….refuse to field a team until we are ready to go 17-0. It’s the only way . 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As opposed to the draft-a-QB-every-3-years plan that has worked oh so well for this franchise.  

You keep trying until you find one.  That has always been my thought process and that isn’t changing anytime soon.  I don’t want 10-7 seasons sprinkled in here and there with mediocre to bad seasons.  I want sustained, consistent, success for onnnnnce in my life rooting for this team.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets have tried both plans. Neither has worked. Given the current state of the NFL, I'd rather draft until one hits rather than trade for a 2nd rate starter every so often. Testaverde was a long time ago and he really only had one good season.  He was not good in 2000 and had to become somewhat of a game manager in 2001 for the Jets to win. Favre was a mess, Fitztragic just followed his cycle of one good year followed by an awful  one

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets have tried both plans. Neither has worked. Given the current state of the NFL, I'd rather draft until one hits rather than trade for a 2nd rate starter every so often. Testaverde was a long time ago and he really only had one good season.  He was not good in 2000 and had to become somewhat of a game manager in 2001 for the Jets to win

I just want a playoff game.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just want a playoff game.

We all do.  That being said, I’d rather find a guy that makes it so that we’re consistently going to the playoffs.  I get the frustration that comes with that when you get it wrong, but the goal should be finding the next Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Josh Allen, etc.; not trying to recapture the “magic” of trotting out a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick against an easy schedule to 10 wins every 4-6 years

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

I’d rather find a guy that makes it so that we’re consistently going to the playoffs.  I get the frustration that comes with that when you get it wrong, but the goal should be finding the next Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Josh Allen, etc., not trying to recapture the “magic” of trotting out a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick against an easy schedule to 10 wins every 4-6 years

Fitz didn't bring a playoff game either. He choked in Buffalo.  What good is a wild card berth and one playoff game on the road - likely a loss?  We've been there - done that.  I'm aiming higher.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fitz didn't bring a playoff game either. He choked in Buffalo.  What good is a wild card berth and one playoff game on the road - likely a loss?  We've been there - done that.  I'm aiming higher.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You keep trying until you find one.  That has always been my thought process and that isn’t changing anytime soon.  I don’t want 10-7 seasons sprinkled in here and there with mediocre to bad seasons.  I want sustained, consistent, success for onnnnnce in my life rooting for this team.

You have achieved sustained , consistent, success as it pertains to embarrassing yourself all night . So you have that going for you …which is nice . 

• Thumb Down 1

Even if its only 4 weeks, that puts him at the Bengals at home, then the Steelers on the road with Watt coming to decapitate him. He's also going to be missing weeks of practice, so the team may elect to have him wait an extra week or 2 just to get him in full shape because the injury prevented him from finishing camp. 

Really rough way to start the season after many thought the team caught a break in Cleveland with the Watson suspension. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jolot said:

You have achieved sustained , consistent, success as it pertains to embarrassing yourself all night . So you have that going for you …which is nice . 

Buddy, you’re talking to a wall here.  I know the fact that your imaginary internet point total going down because you spent the entire thread overjoyed that Wilson got hurt has you seething right now, but I promise you, they’re still gonna keep coming, especially when you quote me.

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-preseason-week-1-what-we-learned-from-friday-s-games

This article calls the defense a bright spot so we've got that going for us.. ya know, right after they talk about how easy it was for Hurts to march down the field. 

there are no bright spots tonight. the 1st team handed our 1st team there ass tonight. Mike White who some think is a starting QB should have played better vs their 2nd team. and Zach Wilson was the worst QB we played tonight. 5 throws and one is the only INT anyone threw. 

very disappointing night

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Even if its only 4 weeks, that puts him at the Bengals at home, then the Steelers on the road with Watt coming to decapitate him. He's also going to be missing weeks of practice, so the team may elect to have him wait an extra week or 2 just to get him in full shape because the injury prevented him from finishing camp. 

Really rough way to start the season after many thought the team caught a break in Cleveland with the Watson suspension. 

PCL injuries are so uncommon, let alone 2 in back to back years on the same knee, that I still don’t believe that it’s anything other than season ending.  I’d be thrilled to be wrong, but I think we’re looking at the long road with the frustrating question of what to do at the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again, I know it’s not happening, but this offense isn’t becoming the Air Raid under Flacco or White.

It isn’t meant to be. That’s why Wilson’s inability to make accurate short throws was rather concerning - THOSE are the Bread&Butter plays of this scheme: Simply get the ball to your playmaker in stride to the predetermined spot. That’s what he did too blindly on that INT. 

sadly from what I’ve seen in person at every Jets 2021 home game and starting to conclude: Flacco and, White to a lesser degree, can run this offense better than Wilson the rookie. And now, with Wilson injured and still showing consistency issues - it could be a much worse case scenario than having Flacco and White as your QB to manage the offense.

#15 has moxie.

OLine did not instill confidence and will get ANYBODY taking snaps as QB killed if they dont improve.