We just upgraded

I have to, begrudgingly, agree completely with the OP.
I think Zach has a ton of potential but he looked as skittish and jittery as ever to open the game last night.  1st pass 10 yards of Garret's head?  3rd pass right into the gut of a defender after staring down the receiver?  Seriously, WTF?  
I really don't see how Flacco could be any worse and would almost certainly be better.
Is it possible that some of what you saw was the result of the complete absence of a right tackle ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You know - you actually hit on the biggest concern people should have over Wilson after last night:

The BEST CASE scenario is that he’s had two PCL injuries in his right knee in his first two seasons as an NFL QB. Not exactly a great way to start a career.

Don’t confuse people in hear with facts 

but the “Arm talent” bro 

I am perfectly fine with Flacco or whoever starting this season. I figured we woukd run a lot anyway so Zach handing off or Flacco really makes little difference. What sucks is we probably have another top 10 pick next draft and should probably take a LT ot QB but won't  because the team will still be patient with Becton and Wilson. 

Ok fair point on the small sample of play, like i originally noted
But I share your concern on the knee. As we learned with Becton, durability matters in this league. He cant be out 5-6 games each year either. We will see.
MRI is going to be big
Completely agree .. and I am one of the most staunch Zach supporters.

29 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Before Zach got hurt he looked very much like 2021 Zach, but it was a small sample size and just preaseason of course. 

I have my worries Zach could bust out, but i also dont think Flacco is that good either. Therefore, and I think I have said it before, if Zach does truly bust out or turn out to be injury prone we are kinda ****ed. 

This is why, Jimmy G, or a Minshew may make sense. A gap guy, maybe we draft a QB next year outside the top 10, like a Kenny Picket type. I dont know folks..

Its just depressing all around. 

If Zach isn't the guy then why go for the band aid when this is supposed to be a great QB draft?  Give Zach this year to show something.  If he's hurt or stinks then we roll the dice again with the next young QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Do you realize Mike White still looks like he has a better feel for the game than Zach. I didn't  see White locking onto receivers or making stupid decisions. Zach is by far the more gifted of the two physically  but White looks like he has control of what is going on around him. In that short sample, I saw nothing that gave me confidence. Even the completion to Moore, he locked onto him. That play was 100% Moore who made a great cut to free himself.  

Ridiculous overreaction.  By those standards, Belichick would have benched Brady in the first half of just about every SB he played.  5 passes in a preseason games means absolutely nothing.  I lost a millisecond of sleep over those 5 passes last night. The knee injury, on the other hand......  

Let's hope its truly 2-4 weeks and that after that time, Wilson is 100%. The most important thing for the Jets is to be able to evaluate Wilson this entire season, not over a few minutes in August.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We just upgraded two of the most important positions via injury, and the board is acting like the season is dead.

I wanted Mekhi and Zach to succeed. Even though I didn’t agree with the Zach pick, I wanted him to prove me wrong and throw TDs in Jans and Febs for the next 10 years. Maybe he still will.

What I do know though, is that as of right now, both of them were liabilities more than they were assets. IMO JD has done a very good job with most of the rest of the roster. We have a team that can compete, and frankly I felt that Mekhi and Zach might have been holding us back.

We now have a pro-bowler to play alongside AVT to help the run game and stabilize pass pro over a guy who we consistently would have wondered about giving effort or getting hurt or just living up to his hype.

At QB, to be clear, I don’t think Flacco is anything great. However, I do believe he’ll bring stability and experience which will really help the development of the rest of the guys on O, and I think he’ll make fewer mistakes which will help the D. The net will be an overall positive for the team. And the extended time off watching and learning from a SB MVP from the sidelines might be just what Zach needs in terms of development to take the next step.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and let the season play out, and enjoy the ride. When was the last time we got to say that we have a legitimately talented roster with a probowl LT and a SB MVP QB? 

Not to agree or disagree, but this isn't over. He has a damaged meniscus and "bone bruise". I had an MRI on my ankle a few years ago after an OTJ injury. MRI report showed an ATF tear and "unspecified injury to Talus".

During arthroscopic surgery, doctor sees my ATF tendon is RUPTURED, the Talus had a Fx, and the Achilles was partially torn as well. 4-6 weeks of recovery/rehab turned into 8 months out. Used a Knee Scooter for 6. 

I think the Dr. Chao's of the world, while they guessed ACL because those are typical on non contact injuries, may have been too specific in making a "diagnosis", the fact that he had damage to the knee is real and still developing. 

IF (a Huge, Bolded, Capitalized IF) Flacco tears it up week 1, gives JD and Saleh a reason to stick with the Vet, let Zach sit, watch, hang out with LaFleur game days, learn, and get even stronger. 

I haven't liked what I have seen of Zach. Guys that are drafted high and are destined to become good to great QBs typically show that they belong quickly. Wilson just hasn't done that yet.

The few reps he got last night were garbage, before the injury he got by being dumb. He needs to sit and learn, and not come back at 300lbs. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

you guys who hate Wilson probably should have put the celebration on hold until the MRI results came back.

you very well could be staring at the milf-hunter week 1. 

Yay. Does he start the game with a lollipop interception, dirt ball, overthrow, or an exploding meniscus? 

• Haha 2

Just now, jetswinbaby! said:

So the GM's premier consecutive 1st round picks are, according to you, complete and utter busts...

But it's not the GM holding the team back?...

Oh my...

I banged the table for Trey Lance. @JiFapono and I argued the 3 months prior to the draft about Lance or Fields. 

I saw Wilson as a Kellen Clemens type prospect, tbh.

Not to agree or disagree, but this isn't over. He has a damaged meniscus and "bone bruise". I had an MRI on my ankle a few years ago after an OTJ injury. MRI report showed an ATF tear and "unspecified injury to Talus".
During arthroscopic surgery, doctor sees my ATF tendon is RUPTURED, the Talus had a Fx, and the Achilles was partially torn as well. 4-6 weeks of recovery/rehab turned into 8 months out. Used a Knee Scooter for 6. 
I think the Dr. Chao's of the world, while they guessed ACL because those are typical on non contact injuries, may have been too specific in making a "diagnosis", the fact that he had damage to the knee is real and still developing. 

IF (a Huge, Bolded, Capitalized IF) Flacco tears it up week 1, gives JD and Saleh a reason to stick with the Vet, let Zach sit, watch, hang out with LaFleur game days, learn, and get even stronger. 

I haven't liked what I have seen of Zach. Guys that are drafted high and are destined to become good to great QBs typically show that they belong quickly. Wilson just hasn't done that yet.

The few reps he got last night were garbage, before the injury he got by being dumb. He needs to sit and learn, and not come back at 300lbs. 

Aaron Rogers , Kurt Warner, Steve Young , Rich Gannon, Len Dawson, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, joe Namath, Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNab, Dan Fouts ...

They ALL say hello.

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You're very sensitive for a tough guy. 

Nah just honest and from Brooklyn.

The jerkoffs that jump on every ******* opportunity to trash the QB make this place un****ingbearable.

But I'll play. The "tough guys" in my neighborhood weren't exactly known for their Zen like demeanor. I wasn't one of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Zach isn't the guy then why go for the band aid when this is supposed to be a great QB draft?  Give Zach this year to show something.  If he's hurt or stinks then we roll the dice again with the next young QB.

that would be best for us, but not Saleh and JD. we win 4 or 5 games this year there gone. and if there smart enough to know that then they will replace Zach with Flacco if he sucks early on. i believe thats why Flacco is here. JD trusts him and knows he is better than White. 

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Same type thing happened to me with my Ankle MRI showed one thing when they went in there were numerous things going on to the point of zero % pressure on my foot for 3 months that then went to 25% and so on .... 2 plates and screws later . FWIW the Doc did an incredible job and now a few years later I cant even tell I had surgery other than the huge scar. Thing is we wont know for sure until Zach has a scope if a scope is even happening at this point.

Obviously Zach sucking is bad for the Jets long term but I don’t necessarily disagree with the OP at all. Flacco, right now, is probably the better QB. He certainly was last year.

I don’t really want to watch Flacco start 17 games but if it means a more competitive product? Sign me up.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I agree with the bolded 100% .   QB 's who belong usually do so pretty quickly there have been a few QB's in NFL history who took quite a while but that's more rare than the ones who actually show up right away. Some guys that come to mind are Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Terry Bradshaw, to name a few but we don't have that luxury since this team has sucked for so long waiting years for a guy to develop with such short windows in the NFL due to salary constraints just does not seem in the cards for us at this stage.

27 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Aaron Rogers , Kurt Warner, Steve Young , Rich Gannon, Len Dawson, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, joe Namath, Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNab, Dan Fouts ...

They ALL say hello.

why are they saying hello based on what Jet_Engine posted ? You have a big mix there of QB's who started out great right off the bat and others that played terribly for years before they picked up what was going on 

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

They ALL say hello.

Arod: Sat 3 years

Young: Sat for a decade

Rich Gannon: journeyman until he founnd the right situation in his later career

Len Dawson: Ancient History

Troy Aikman: On a team of HOF'ers. Never broke 3,500 yards in a season. Started every game and showed ability amd improvement consistently.

John Elway: Outlier. 

Bradshaw: Team of HOF'ers. 

Joe Namath: What? Dude was obviously the guy day 1

Drew Bledsoe? What? He was good day 1, won 5 games on a bad team, and was starting a SB in year 4.

Cunningham: his coach hated him 

McNabb: Day 1 starter

Dan Fouts: Ancient History.

How do any of the above "say hi"? LOL. This list has ZERO BEARING on Wilson. 

Now do the Akili Smith, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, JaMarcus Russell, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Jeff George, Andre Ware, Dan Maguire,  Heather Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Cade McCown, Joey Harrington, J.P Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Matt Leinart,  Brady Quinn, Josh Freeman, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Manziel, Marita, Jameis Winston list. 

Do those guys say hi, too? Didn't even bring up Mayfield until now. Many of THESE guys ^ looked much better than Wilson at times. Mayfield set the rookie record for rookie QBs TDs and was jettisoned by the Browns...

Wilson's story isn't done, but let's be honest, it has NOT been promising. And don't give me the "last 4 games" mantra, I heard that with Geno and Darnold. It's meaningless.

• Upvote 1

It makes no sense to draft a young QB when you have an atrocious roster AND a brand new coach. You are taking a chance on the coach and that’s more important to the whole team than the QB.  Unless the head coach proves himself to be competent, you don’t take a gamble on a rookie QB.

They should have traded down to get a huge draft pick haul and fill many holes on the team. This would have allowed them to bring in a vet QB with the sole purpose of helping implement a new system and coach up the OL/offense. If Bobby Salad showed that he was competent, then you invest in a young QB when the offense and defense are on a much more solid foundation and after filling many holes with the draft pick haul that was received.

If Bobby Salad proved to be trash like he currently seems to be, you have a decent roster and can easily move on to the next coach BEFORE drafting a young QB. Then there are ZERO excuses for the young QB and they are in a stable environment maximizing their growth and taking advantage of the value of their cheap rookie deal. It’s really not hard. 

That’s just my creepy opinion and what I wanted to do before drafting a QB to a horrible situation. You could see this stuff coming from a mile away and there’s a certain logical order of doing things to increase the odds/chances of success with the MANY different things that have to happen. Maybe it’ll all work out but I think the biggest issue is the head coach from what I am hearing. I don’t have as good of an idea as anyone on this board because I haven’t watched this trash in years. I’m just a modest genius that knows how sh*t works. 

why are they saying hello based on what Jet_Engine posted ? You have a big mix there of QB's who started out great right off the bat and others that played terribly for years before they picked up what was going on 
They all either sat or had sub par rookie or early starts to their careers.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ridiculous overreaction.  By those standards, Belichick would have benched Brady in the first half of just about every SB he played.  5 passes in a preseason games means absolutely nothing.  I lost a millisecond of sleep over those 5 passes last night. The knee injury, on the other hand......  

Let's hope its truly 2-4 weeks and that after that time, Wilson is 100%. The most important thing for the Jets is to be able to evaluate Wilson this entire season, not over a few minutes in August.

I think the Brady analogy was about the worst example you could have used. Brady established a body of work proceeding that. On the other hand, Zach's  body of work includes finishing last or near last in every statistical  category that matters for a QB. He did finish close to top of one category though.  Highest  percentage  of off target throws. 

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah.  Those 5 passes in a preseason game in August told us all we need to know about 2022 Zach Wilson. Unbelievable.  

Not even sure why they let him go that long.  It was obvious after two throws that he's not the answer.