Winners and Losers From Jets win Over Eagles

Calvin-Jackson-PS-TD-scaled.jpg

After watching their “starters” get beaten up by the Philadelphia Eagles, falling behind 14-0 early on, the Jets reserved made some late plays to come away with a 24-21 win.  The obvious loser in the contest was quarterback Zach Wilson.  The second-year QB threw a gimme’ interception on his first drive.  On his second, he left the game with a knee injury and is awaiting MRI results.

Beyond that, there was a mixed bag for Gang Green.

Winners:

DL Tanzel Smart: We commented on Smart’s play quite a bit last pre-season and the practice squad lineman picked up right where he left off.  Smart picked up a pair of sacks in the victory.

QB Chris Streveler: Despite having not taken a single team snap during camp, Streveler was very impressive.  The former CFL product went 6-8 with a couple of TD’s and ran for 31 yards on two carries.

TE Lawrence Cager: The converted wide receiver saw a few targets and came away with two receptions for a team-leading 40 yards.  The TE group is pretty deep so Lawrence has his work cut out for him.

RB Zonovan Knight: Knight had a hard fought short TD run and a huge kick return late in the game.  It’s his special team’s value that gives him a great shot to make the roster and he showed that off last night.

LB Jamien Sherwood: Sherwood was all over the place when he was on the field and picked up a few impressive tackles to go along with some solid pass coverage.

S Will Parks: Parks played a ton of snaps and was consistently around the ball and showed the ability to get through traffic to make big stops.  Parks is a name we’ve been hearing a lot lately.  It’s going to be tough for the Jets to work their way down to 53 without keeping the Philly native.

WR Calvin Jackson Jr.: Jackson didn’t see many chances early on but did end up catching the game-winning TD in the fourth quarter.

Losers: 

LB Quincy Williams: Williams picked up a sack early on but also had a horrendous personal foul call on third down.  This kept the Eagles drive alive and allowed them to score their first touchdown.  Williams’ hit on Eagles QB Jalen Hurts as he went out of bounds enraged the Eagles sideline.  If you saw that hit, you understand why.

DL Nathan Shepherd: Shepherd was manhandled by rookie center Cam Jurgens on the goal line and offered little resistance up the middle.  In a deep group, Shepherd will have to do more to hang around.

WR Denzel Mims: Mims looked like he was on the rebound after a couple of big catches on 3rd down late in the game.  However, the 2021 version showed up soon thereafter.  Mims picked up a flag for illegal formation and dropped a pass soon after that.

OT Chuma Edoga: Both tackles had some rough moments but Edoga really struggled at times, getting away with what appeared to be one blatant holding call.

OC Connor McGovern: McGovern had a difficult time with rookie lineman Jordan Davis but in McGovern’s defense, we expect Davis to do that to A LOT of linemen.  It’s not every day you’re going to face a 330lb lineman who moves like he’s 285.

The post Winners and Losers From Jets win Over Eagles appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:
Zuniga got me scratching my head.  Not because he was bad, but because he looked like a different player.  He looked really good!  Clemons was outstanding I thought.  If I'm handicapping it right now, Mims looks like a goner. 

What about Marshall on defense.  I tried to focus in on him, but he seemed disappointing if I'm being honest.  Did you see something different from him?

• Upvote 1

Good string. I would add pre-injury Zach to the losers.  Man, was that first drive a bad sequence?  One that only elevated concerns instead of reducing them.  

Didn't really see too much from Jonathan Marshall, but really would need to revisit the tape.  He's a bubble player who hasn't really had his name called in training camp.  Not a good thing for a defensive player upfront.

I do wonder if Zuniga is doing enough to make the roster.  These preseason games are so critical for him.

Holy Shnikies!!  Did Wesco have a catch?! 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How is my guy Perine not on the winners list?  10 carries for 51 yards.  5 yards a carry!!!!

Give me perine or give me death!

He was meh.  A huge chunk of his yards came on a 3rd and 15 with no defenders in the area.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ruckert has to be on the winner list as well.  Looked smooth and fluid on that route, soft hands on the catch and into the endzone for the score.

I think Ruckert has tremendous upside.

Added/updated the article to add him a minute or two after publishing but the original posted to the forums.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ruckert has to be on the winner list as well.  Looked smooth and fluid on that route, soft hands on the catch and into the endzone for the score.

I think Ruckert has tremendous upside.

I think his dad is giving him sh*t for giving the ball to the ref instead of him 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How is my guy Perine not on the winners list?  10 carries for 51 yards.  5 yards a carry!!!!

Let's see what he does against a 1st string D. Never mind I already know, he sucks. Your boy Hall though is another story. Stick with that one

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Was Saleh a winner or loser? 

Id put Saleh iin the loser category last night.  Team was unprepared to play and he should have sent Quincy Williams to the locker room after that bush league late hit on hurts.  Hindsight i 20/20 but with both starting tackles out, maybe you wait until week 2 to play the starting offense.

I would think if it is the 1st game of preseason have a high number of snap counts is good for fringe players but if it the last game of preseason probably not so good but who knows.

what i do find interesting is Shepard, Rankins, and Marshal almost even in snap counts

I have notice they are spending a lot of time with Hardee in lineup.  Guy got 0 snaps all last season.  Indication that is not going to cut it anymore maybe.

Max played 75% of the game and I tho he did well in both pass and run.  He did however have 1 miss i noticed and got beat causing White to throw away.

Overall if the game had gone the way they wanted they probably would have pulled the starters a lot earlier and Zach probably would not have gotten hurt.  It seems the Eagle game planned this game a bit because in those 1st few series they were playing 8 in the box and almost knew when the Jets were going to run and didnt want to allow any of that.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just don't see it, no burst, no wiggle on him.  He will carry the ball a lot in the next couple of games, but see him being a cut.  Zonovan Knight and Tevin Coleman are ahead of him.  

WR Denzel Mims: Mims looked like he was on the rebound after a couple of big catches on 3rd down late in the game.  However, the 2021 version showed up soon thereafter.  Mims picked up a flag for illegal formation and dropped a pass soon after that.

if you rewatch the game there was a kick off return I believe in 3rd quarter where Eagles returned it to mid field and Mann made the saving tackle well if you look closely keep an eye on Mims.  He looked like he was avoiding contact or just clueless IMO.