Wilson Durability Concern

23 hours ago, Facts said:

Definitely a concern and something ive thought about since I first saw him.

Just look at the pic below. He looks like a boy. His body just doesnt look like it ever developed into a grown mans body and I worry that will always be an issue considering how physical the NFL is.

That being said, last night was a non-contact injury so that's a whole different thing.

Tell me this doesn't look like a high-school player at first glance?

zach-wilson-1.webp.95afb128363b6d1e2891debc853fc00f.webp

My very scientific pre-draft assessment of him was “airbrushed Jimmy Clausen.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

He's officially injury prone in addition to being undersized and apparently, uncoachable.

I believe he will turn out to be as bad as JD's 2020 draft. 

With the Jets poor record of judging injury recovery times, I expect him to miss at least the first 2 games of the season.

Is Aaron Rodgers undersized? They are the exact same size. Cmon man 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I do not believe in “ceiling” for QB, at least not in any sense that relates to physical attributes. Once they have satisfactory physical talent, additional ability there offers a diminishing return and it’s like 99% brain at that point.

This is why extrapolating college QB performance to NFL performance is the hardest thing to scout in sport.

There is no measurable reason why Jamarcus Russell is the biggest bust in NFL history and Tom Brady is the best draft selection ever. The most important QB attribute is (so far) immeasurable. So drafting for physical talent is fine (what else can you really do) but once they have a fair amount of NFL tape, I no longer give 2 turds about physical “ceiling.” Gimme the guy who looks like he belongs and isn’t overwhelmed.

The paucity of NFL QB “turnaround stories” is well documented on this site.

Haha I love the story of the coach giving Russell a blank game tape to watch and then followed up with him on what he thought. JaMarcus never turned it on and played it off like he watched it

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

This is why I rated Mac the #2 QB in the class.

? 

One addition: I do not blame GMs for drafting on the physical stuff at least until the NFL develops some way to reduce the margin of error in evaluating the intangibles you helpfully list. When in doubt, sure give me the physical freak. 

I just felt very strongly that Mac was a winner, smart, and would be an efficient NFL QB. 

Let's see what look at his pace does year 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Let's see what look at his pace does year 2.

I’m with ya. A QB needs to keep delivering. Don’t happen to believe he’s capped by some notion of physical ceiling, but yeah I get that some or even many are.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Haha I love the story of the coach giving Russell a blank game tape to watch and then followed up with him on what he thought. JaMarcus never turned it on and played it off like he watched it

A bona fide slug with a ceiling around Aldebaran, though.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, jgb said:

Incredible that many hold simultaneous beliefs that the draft is a crapshoot and no one can predict anything but that “ceiling” is an unalienable and quantitative fact. 

Amazing how much front offices spend on scouting only to realize that drafting a guy like Pat Mahomes is a waste if your roster and coaches are bad.  

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, Jet Nut said:

Which is different from deciding what a draftee will or won’t be out of the draft how? 
We all have done it

That’s fine.  But some people are so incredibly dim-witted that, even with hindsight available to them, they think Pat Mahomes is a product of his environment whereas Sam Darnold is still secretly good.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

That sounds like the ol’ “$100 taped to the back of the playbook” trick.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

This is why I rated Mac the #2 QB in the class.

? 

One addition: I do not blame GMs for drafting on the physical stuff at least until the NFL develops some way to reduce the margin of error in evaluating the intangibles you helpfully list. When in doubt, sure give me the physical freak. 

I just felt very strongly that Mac was a winner, smart, and would be an efficient NFL QB. 

I had Fields 2nd I think he will surprise people. He looked improved in the right areas on Saturday in limited action.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maury77 said:

I had Fields 2nd I think he will surprise people. He looked improved in the right areas on Saturday in limited action.

All the excuses for our QB exist and in greater magnitude for both Fields and Lawrence. Chicago — and especially JAX — were outrageous examples of NFL dysfunction last season.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Every minute that goes by that we dont get an update on zachs surgery makes me think they want to finalize the trade for jimmy g b4 announcing zach is done for the year.

The soothsayer hath spoken

• Haha 1