depending on how long he'll be out

Long Term

- The evaluation of Wilson will be severely impacted.  There will be no clear
indication of whether he can be a franchise QB or not

- Two years of his cheap rookie deal will be gone

- The way he got injured makes me question his decision making.  In the FIRST
PRE-SEASON GAME of the year you do not make a "dead leg juke" on a scramble and
cut back into the field of play.  Particularly with a DLineman behind you and a
safety in front of you, you slide or go out of bounds.  It was a moronic, idiotic
and stupid move, if he can't make that simple decision how can he make the tough ones???

- Finally, two years in with two knee injuries and you have to ask is he injury prone?

Short Term

- Flacco will improve our chances of winning.  He won a SB, played well in big
games and still has a cannon for an arm.  With a vet OLine and weapons at the skill
positions you know he'll run the offense efficiently.  And with his experience
he won't be fooled by what a defense throws at him

- With Flacco not being as nimble in the pocket, LaFleur will probably call less 
roll outs and mis-directions 

- If Wilson does come back this year Saleh could have a tough decision.  Does he stay
with Flacco or automatically go back to Wilson

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

- If Wilson does come back this year Saleh could have a tough decision.  Does he stay

You stick with the QB who is leading the offense to be productive, keeps your defense OFF the field, and leads the team to Wins. 

If Flacco is rolling, then stick with him. But a lot of the concerns regarding Wilson are valid and the rest of the team should be be held back from being competitive if this roster can actually win as a team. On paper, there is considerable offensive and defensive talent and athleticism compared to the putrid roster made-up of JAGS from 5 years ago. 

38 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This injury unfortunately covered up what was a poor outing for ZW to start the preseaon.  As mentioned the juke was a horrendous decision, he missed another short/medium level throw and of course threw a horrendous pick.

Unless he is injured again, Wilson is going to get 8+ regular season games this year to show some level of improvement.  Unless that improvement is dramatic, then JD needs to bring in someone to compete with next season and/or use a 2nd/3rd round pick on a QB and let that player compete with ZW.

JD simply cannot go into 2023 with Zach and a backup like Mike White or Flacco, its not the right fit for a young team.  If zach shows little to no improvement (ie continuing to stare down receivers, ints, etc) then this team is built for a player like Baker to get paid on some short of medium level QB deal (2 years $20/season) 

I think you could be right.  IF that is the case, you would sign a guy like Baker for 2-3 years, and then draft a QB in 2024 and LET HIM SIT A YEAR....NO EXCEPTIONS!

It looks like JD has built a good base of players, and would have two more years of drafting/F/A to build a team for a better QB.  

I have NO illusions about Zach Wilson.  I never liked the pick in the first place, but completely understand why he was picked.  I think every QB in last year's draft will bust, including Trevor Lawrence.  They were a bad batch of QB's.  

But a guy like Baker for a few years keeps the team competitive, which will be important.  If we keep losing 12 games a year, that will weigh on all these young guys.  

BTW....The Panthers are paying Mayfield less than $5 million this year, while their most expensive player is Sam Darnold.  

WOW.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I mean it was a simple cut that athletes have to make. Preseason or not. His knee should be able to withhold that especially on grass. Glad it wasn’t serious but it’s concerning that running could be an issue if his knee is fragile. Wilson needs to be able to scramble.

• Upvote 2

He’s a 23 yr old 2nd yr QB that needs reps and was competing. He made a split second decision. If he was a 10 yr vet, he’d made a different decision, if he was playing at all. 

KRL is right. Jets need ZW to play this season to get a better evaluation to see if he is their answer at QB. Now that he’s only out a few games he should still get 14-15 games to do so. 

Flacco initially playing can assist the new OL to jell faster. Flacco is obviously more experienced and has seen everything. He can adjust the blocking based on what he sees. 

OL should then be more stable and in more unison once ZW returns. There should be no rush in getting ZW to play week 1. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

However, with young WRs, 2 new OL starters, rookie RB, it may be beneficial to Z. Wilson to let Flacco get things organized for a couple of weeks.

I’ll mark you down for believing he’s not a FQB, then.

30 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

All this injury tells me is there will be unending excuse-making should Wilson unfortunately flop again this season.  We cannot afford a repeat of the Darnold situation.  Missing the preseason and a few early games should not change the expectations of Zach this year.  He needs to play SIGNIFICANTLY better.

The only way this is coming is if he is good. There’s a large subset of fans who will never, ever give up on a highly-drafted QB (and blast anyone who has).

I'd play Wilson. If he's bad, you will be able to draft one of the top QBs next April.  If he's good, you don't have to.  Its kind of a self-solving problem.  OTOH if you play Flacco, you learn nothing about Wilson and you probably win enough games to be out of reach of the QBs.

Worst scenario is you play Wilson and go 7-10.  Very possible, but hopefully not.

• Sympathy 1

Unfortunately have a bad feeling about Wilson. He just cannot transfer his knowledge from the classroom to the field. Playing at eye level with bullets flying is a lot different than classroom diagrams and overhead stadium pictures of formations. That’s a false impression because you play at eye level. He knows the plays but….He will tease us with great plays every now and then but will lack consistency. 

Trade for jimmy g

Before he hurt himself trying to do a cool fun juke move instead of sliding or going out of bounds in a preseason game, he had a bad overthrow of Wilson and the INT was really UGLY. stevelman or whatever his name is lol can hit Conklin on option routes. 

it’s not a coincidence that EVERY QB runs the offense better than Zach does. 

no more pretending he doesn’t suck. 

trade for jimmy g

48 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

BTW....The Panthers are paying Mayfield less than $5 million this year, while their most expensive player is Sam Darnold.  

WOW.

If Baker performs well he’ll either be extended or tagged. Everybody just thinks we can sign any QB. Other teams have a say in these matters too

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Baker performs well he’ll either be extended or tagged. Everybody just thinks we can sign any QB. Other teams have a say in these matters too

He will be a F/A next year.  He might be looking for a bigger contract.  While IMO Baker would be the perfect 'hold the fort' guy, I don't think he will be available.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Glenn Foley and Zach Wilson:

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

I actually liked Foley. Small 7th Rounder who should not have been as good as he was in spots... That 49ers game was insane, and I bet Zach NEVER has a better game. (30/58 415 yards 3 TD, 1 INT)

Any takers?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Let's look at the ramifications of Wilson's injury on the organization,

Long Term

safety in front of you, you slide or go out of bounds.  It was a moronic, idiotic
and stupid move, if he can't make that simple decision how can he make the tough ones???

- Finally, two years in with two knee injuries and you have to ask is he injury prone?

agree 1000% on his decision making.  My fear with Zack has always been is he more interested in making an ESPN highlight every game than taking what the defense gives him and be a winning QB.  

Hopefully not continual knee probs but not off to a good start.  My understanding is ligaments do not tighten back but rather scar in.  The laxity of the ligament then lessens because of the scarring and strength & rehab.  Knee brace moving forward to protect it??

KRL obviously Zack was the number 1 concern last night, but short term & long term this team and in particular this coaching staff sure doesnt appear to play/coach with any urgency.  I know its only preseason game 1, but many signs are from last year as well.  It just comes across as a great culture but players and coaches are way too comfortable (look of disinterest and laughing and joking on sidelines when losing) . Not sure you get the most out of everyone when everyone is so comfortable. They looked more like a team that has won for years and was just going through the motions waiting for week 1.  Sometimes i think they believe their own in house press and then get smacked across the face with a reality check once the real games begin.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I actually liked Foley. Small 7th Rounder who should not have been as good as he was in spots... That 49ers game was insane, and I bet Zach NEVER has a better game. (30/58 415 yards 3 TD, 1 INT)

Any takers?

Zach bettered those numbers last year.  423 yards, 3 TDs and 0 pick.  

Took him 3 gmes to do it, though.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Long Term

Short Term

games and still has a cannon for an arm.  With a vet OLine and weapons at the skill

- With Flacco not being as nimble in the pocket, LaFleur will probably call less 

Geez KRL.. I have enjoyed your camp reports but this comes across as complete crap and trying to rationalize giving up on Zach right now which is frankly idiotic. Terrible take. He will miss maybe 2 games, his evaluation is not impacted at all.

You have to begin 2022 with the posture that Zach is a sunk cost and hope he improves. When he’s not hurt, he’s comically bad and each of his backups have performed better than him when given the chance. The entire Douglas/Saleh project is being held up by a 6’2 kid from Utah who has shown minimal amounts of competence, and the time is nigh for them to start prioritizing their own interests.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

There’s a large subset of fans who will never, ever give up on a highly-drafted QB (and blast anyone who has).

You do not give up on a QB as highly talented as Zach after 17 games. There does come a time when you decide to move on, but that time is certainly not now and probably not next year either unless he is horrific. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I understand being the guy that hates a QB and how frustrating that can be (I hated Chad.) but we simply do not know yet what Zach is. Was it a bad pick? Sure. But that doesn't mean he is going to repeat that mistake. We have a loaded offense and we will know more about Zach but that is not for a while.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Flacco stinks, has not won an NFL game in almost 3 years and has been involved with 7 games for the jets and our record is 0-7.

How this totally illogical love of Joe Flacco has come about I don't know but it's like a disease, perhaps leprosy.

I would be more confident in Mike White. Flacco was a nothing burger last year. I think deep down Saleh is the type of coach (like we always hire) that would prefer the mediocre veteran thinking defense will win games than developing a rookie. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You have to begin 2022 with the posture that Zach is a sunk cost and hope he improves. When he’s not hurt, he’s comically bad and each of his backups have performed better than him when given the chance. The entire Douglas/Saleh project is being held up by a 6’2 kid from Utah who has shown minimal amounts of competence, and the time is nigh for them to start prioritizing their own interests.

Hate to say it, this is starting to look like the case

Kid has been constantly hurt since college, I don’t see how that magically goes away

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Long Term

Short Term

Well this didn't age well

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You do not give up on a QB as highly talented as Zach after 17 games. There does come a time when you decide to move on, but that time is certainly not now and probably not next year either unless he is horrific. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I understand being the guy that hates a QB and how frustrating that can be (I hated Chad.) but we simply do not know yet what Zach is. Was it a bad pick? Sure. But that doesn't mean he is going to repeat that mistake. We have a loaded offense and we will know more about Zach but that is not for a while.

You have to consider moving on from him after this year because of durably issues that go back to college. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Flacco stinks, has not won an NFL game in almost 3 years and has been involved with 7 games for the jets and our record is 0-7

Just as an FYI, there are 21 other players who have a stake in Wins & Losses. You can’t hang that solely on Flacco. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean it was a simple cut that athletes have to make. Preseason or not. His knee should be able to withhold that especially on grass. Glad it wasn’t serious but it’s concerning that running could be an issue if his knee is fragile. Wilson needs to be able to scramble.

C'mon this happens to finely chiseled athletes in almost every game. Injuries are part of the sport