Zach Wilson Update: QB Could be Ready for Week 1

Zach Wilson

And some rare good news for the New York Jets as Quarterback Zach Wilson will reportedly miss just 2-4 weeks after suffering a right knee injury last night.

Both Brian Costello of the New York Post and Adam Schefter of ESPN are reporting Wilson will miss very little time and will require surgery to repair the injured knee.

Jets’ QB Zach Wilson has a bone bruise and a meniscus tear and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, as @BrianCoz also reported. Wilson will undergo arthroscopic surgery to address and correct the injury. Jets consider it fortunate news.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 13, 2022

As it turns out, Wilson could be ready for week 1.

This is very good news for the Jets, who believe there's a chance he could be ready for Week 1. https://t.co/ZEBLjtPEM5

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 13, 2022

This will put to bed earlier speculation that Wilson may miss the season with a torn ACL.  This, according to Dr. David Chao and former Jets defensive lineman Leger Douzable who said the Jets believed it was a torn ACL.

It is Believed that Zach Wilson did indeed tear his ACL

— Leger Douzable (@LegerDouzable) August 13, 2022

With Wilson temporarily sidelined, expect increased reps for Mike White and Chris Streveler who was one of the stars in last night’s victory.

The post Zach Wilson Update: QB Could be Ready for Week 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

But what if...
We are playing good football and gelling during the preseason? Do we start him right away or let him sit, rest and develop via clipboard?
If it's the Flacster starting and winning .. I'm fine with clipboard Zach for a few games until he is 100%

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gibby said:

My son Sawyer -  ( FB  going into  Senior year of high school) - some of you have met him at Max’s tailgate. Had this same injury-  only with a  fracture and meniscus tear two weeks ago and had surgery last week  started rehab Thursday is determined only to miss his opener which is a week before Zach needs to be ready.

If my boys is ready Zach better be ready! ? 

front and center number 28

3007A6F3-A693-44EF-9A00-D747F3755F8C.thumb.png.c7e61759728a8167afdc6a7aad3ce69b.png 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just heard Cimini on 1050. Week 1 is wildly optimistic and would probably be irresponsible, to boot. The host brought up a good point: we know that Zach’s best moments happen outside the pocket: what’s he going to look like when his mobility is compromised? 

RGIII

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just heard Cimini on 1050. Week 1 is wildly optimistic and would probably be irresponsible, to boot. The host brought up a good point: we know that Zach’s best moments happen outside the pocket: what’s he going to look like when his mobility is compromised? 

If he's healthy to play you play him. It's that simple 

It's a blessing ... this will force him to use his elite arm from the pocket earlier than if he was allowed to run around like a chicken all year.

• Sympathy 1

I skew slightly negative, but I feel like watching Zach Wilson trying to learn how to be a pocket passer would be like watching my dog trying to drive a school bus full of children through a nitroglycerin factory. 
Slightly less painful than what I am doing right now

... rewatching last nights game.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Quick math.

Opening day is 28 days away or 4 full weeks....

if, as they say the injury is 2-4 weeks (28 days)  not sure how someone could call it "wildly optimistic."

Sounds to me like things would have to go poorly for him not to start week 1.   Unless, of course, the reports are inaccurate and it's not really a 2-4 week injury.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well if eternal optimist, bearer of good new,  and  uber knowledgeable never wrong Jets beat reporter Dick Cimini said this, I doubt he plays week 1.  Cimini is never one to report something that is inaccurate and paints the Jets in a bad light.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Quick math.

Opening day is 28 days away or 4 full weeks....

if, as they say the injury is 2-4 weeks (28 days)  not sure how someone could call it "wildly optimistic."

Sounds to me like things would have to go poorly for him not to start week 1.   Unless, of course, the reports are inaccurate and it's not really a 2-4 week injury.

It depends on when he starts practicing. You can’t throw him out there against the Ravens with a couple days of practice because he’ll get murdered.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It depends on when he starts practicing. You can’t throw him out there against the Ravens with a couple days of practice because he’ll get murdered.

Oh, I agree.  But 4 weeks would be the back end, essentially worst case scenario (based on the 2-4 week report) Which would likely mean he misses week 1 - as he'll need a week to get back into things..

But anything less than the 4 full weeks he should play week 1.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but one of two things has to be incorrect...

Either it's not 2-4 week injury or it's not wildly optimistic he plays week 1.  I don't see how it can be both.

52 minutes ago, laurenceofarabia said:

Don't rush him back. No need.

Sent from my SM-S908U using JetNation.com mobile app

☝️

I imagine, even if it's the best case scenario and he can get back in 4 weeks, they'll still sit him a week or two to get up to speed and practice. It'll be quite interesting around here if Flacco can lead us to 2-0.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I skew slightly negative, but I feel like watching Zach Wilson trying to learn how to be a pocket passer would be like watching my dog trying to drive a school bus full of children through a nitroglycerin factory. 

I had a golden retriever who I swear could pull this off. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Oh, I agree.  But 4 weeks would be the back end, essentially worst case scenario (based on the 2-4 week report) Which would likely mean he misses week 1 - as he'll need a week to get back into things..

But anything less than the 4 full weeks he should play week 1.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but one of two things has to be incorrect...

Either it's not 2-4 week injury or it's not wildly optimistic he plays week 1.  I don't see how it can be both.

Yeah, I think the consideration is how Zach feels about his knee. He may technically be cleared to play, but it’s foolish to throw him out there if he’s not confident in it. He hurt it performing a simply change of direction—that’s bound to impact his process when the bullets are flying.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

My son Sawyer -  ( FB  going into  Senior year of high school) - some of you have met him at Max’s tailgate. Had this same injury-  only with a  fracture and meniscus tear two weeks ago and had surgery last week  started rehab Thursday is determined only to miss his opener which is a week before Zach needs to be ready.

If my boys is ready Zach better be ready! ?

Your son probably not f*cking cougars like Zach, so should hit his goal. 

Zach will have "relapses" 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think the consideration is how Zach feels about his knee. He may technically be cleared to play, but it’s foolish to throw him out there if he’s not confident in it. He hurt it performing a simply change of direction—that’s bound to impact his process when the bullets are flying.

I would suspect he will be lugging around a knee brace for at least the entirety of this season.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would suspect he will be lugging around a knee brace for at least the entirety of this season.

Tough adjustment for anyone to make, much less a smaller QB who struggles from the pocket. Jets have to be patient with this or they’re going to fry him like an egg

• Upvote 2

I’d hold him out the first two games, regardless.

That still gives the kid 15 games to show if he’s the future.

The Jets are going to pound the sh*t out of the ball with Hall and Carter this season anyway.

Frankly, I don’t see why such a large portion of the fanbase despises Flacco so much. He’s pretty much exactly what you want in a veteran backup and in spot duty since coming here, he’s thrown for 1200 yards, 9 TD’s, 3 INT’s and completed 66% of his passes.

• Upvote 1