Red Sox trade Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena

Mavrik

Interesting deal.

The Boston Red Sox have traded right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo and cash in exchange for Cincinnati Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena.

Arroyo went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA last season, pitching 205 1/3 innings. The right-hander signed a three-year, $11.2 million contract in January.

Pena hit .254 with 19 homers and 51 RBI last season in 311 at-bats for the Reds. He's expected to be a platoon partner in right field with Trot Nixon in Boston.

Cornrow did not come up the Sox system - I thought he started in the Pirates System? No matter - why trade a versatile pitcher with so many questions on the Sox pitching staff? Plus, didn't Arroyo just sign a "home discount" deal to stay with the Sox? Looks like Lyin' Larry just put his foot up a bent-over Bronson's arse.

I like the Sox, but boy do I ABHOR the the ownership.

It is an excellent trade, IF, and a big IF, the Bosox staff is healthy. Wells, Schilling and Wakefield are way up there in age. Clement slumped the tail end of 2005, and Beckett has a history of injury issues. Either the Sox expect one of the kid starters to make it, or are banking that they can slug there way to victory.

So much for the Hometown Discount theory. The others will take note, and beware.

Pena is a strikeout king, boston fans are going to eat this guy alive before he can develop a better eye at the plate...he will once again have to platoon in right with nixon whereas in cinci he had earned the full time right fielders job...so he might not be happy having to share playing time again...with the ageing arms on the boston staff I think it was a foolish move to try and find the next ortiz.

Just don't understand trading a "full-time" Arroyo (he can start and doesn't b*tch when he gets put in the bullpen) for a part-time outfielder. Both players got screwed in the deal, imo. Arroyo will NOT get the run support he had in Boston and he will be pitching for a crappy team in a nightmare of a park. This all goes down after Arroyo put his loyalty out there for all to see by taking far less money than he could have made to stay in a city he loves (Boston). Pena goes from starter to sharing duty with Trot Nixon - and eventually Kapler....I think. His impatience at the plate is a negative that will not be suffiently addressed with inconsistent plate appearances. This is just another one of those signings that is directly linked to Fenway Park itself.

Arroyo is a solid 4th or 5th starter and no more. He was destined for the bullpen so I think it is a solid move for him, going somewhere where he can start. Wily mo Pena is a 24 year old with great power going to a hitters park. He will receive great coaching and be Nixon's eventual replacement. This is a no-brainer type move for the Sox, who even if one of the elder statesmen is injured we still have Jonathan Papelbon who can start and some solid minor leagues who can fill in as well. This is a win-win kind of deal as the Reds needed pitching in a bad way.

This is an OUTSTANDING trade for the Sox. Don't get me wrong, I liked Arroyo. A lot. But towards the end of last year I was seeing a pitcher at the ceiling of his talent and came to the conclusion that he was just going to be a 4th or 5th at best. Sure he is versatile but the Sox are LOADED with pitching and with Papelbon and Lester just waiting in the wings to break the rotation the bully is stocked, the rotation is set and we now have a young OF that has power and a promising future. He will be backing up Nixon and loving that Monster.

Damn this has made my day. I had a ****ty day at work today. Damn kids were driving me up the wall. This is great news.

The Sox and the Yanks are basically one in the same.

Hitting, Hitting and more hitting with alot of question marks with the pitching.

Johnson : Does johnson bounce back to his previous form after a dissapointing 05.

Mussina: Is it the end of the road ?

Pavano : Will he ever live up to his potential.

Chacon: Does he revert back to his Colorado days ?

Schilling: Is he fully recovered from his ankle issues and has he lost weight ?

Wakefield: Will age ever catch up with him ?

Wells: Will he ever stfu ?

Beckett: Will he give the Sox over 200 innings

Foulke: Does he bounce back from a bad 05.

The teams are basically mirror images of each other. The question becomes how many of those questions become positives ?

The team that answers the most questions wins the East.

why trade a versatile pitcher with so many questions on the Sox pitching staff?

You got a point there...Bronson is versatile, he can either give up like 5 earned runs before anyone can get loose in the pen after the wheels fall off OR he can relinquish a lead in the late innings as a reliver.

Guitar Boy should be happy that he is in Cincinnati, close to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame because he is closer to getting in there as opposed to Cooperstown.

That is a great trade for the Red Sox. Arroyo is an average starter and Pena has 30-homer power and will only get better. Wily Mo reminds a lot of people of Sammy Sosa, without the steroids. He knocked out quite a few 500+ footers in the Great American Ballpark.

How is it pathetic?

The Sox have arguably as good a lineup as your beloved Yanks now. That sounds like a post by a man in denial.

damon = crisp (at this point in time) and i'll take damons clubhouse presense over coco

jeter > loretta

arod > ortiz

sheffield < manny

giambi > varitek

matsui > lowell

posada > youk

cano > nixon

bernie at age 54 > alex gonzolez

damon = crisp (at this point in time) and i'll take damons clubhouse presense over coco

jeter > loretta

arod > ortiz

sheffield < manny

giambi > varitek

matsui > lowell

posada > youk

cano > nixon

bernie at age 54 > alex gonzolez

That's laughable, even for a homer Yankee fan. If anything, at least hitting wise Ortiz is a better hitter and in better situations than A-Rod, if you want the stats I'll give them to you, but if anything Ortiz is better.. but I'll give you a wash. Nixon is a much better hitter than Cano and you also have to factor in Pena. Of course this is all a moot point because pitching and defense wins championships, and we all know who has the better pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, and defense this season.

That's laughable, even for a homer Yankee fan. If anything, at least hitting wise Ortiz is a better hitter and in better situations than A-Rod, if you want the stats I'll give them to you, but if anything Ortiz is better.. but I'll give you a wash. Nixon is a much better hitter than Cano and you also have to factor in Pena. Of course this is all a moot point because pitching and defense wins championships, and we all know who has the better pitching, both in the rotation and the bullpen, and defense this season.

Yeah the Blue Jays.

Just don't understand trading a "full-time" Arroyo (he can start and doesn't b*tch when he gets put in the bullpen) for a part-time outfielder. Both players got screwed in the deal, imo. Arroyo will NOT get the run support he had in Boston and he will be pitching for a crappy team in a nightmare of a park. This all goes down after Arroyo put his loyalty out there for all to see by taking far less money than he could have made to stay in a city he loves (Boston). Pena goes from starter to sharing duty with Trot Nixon - and eventually Kapler....I think. His impatience at the plate is a negative that will not be suffiently addressed with inconsistent plate appearances. This is just another one of those signings that is directly linked to Fenway Park itself.

Ugh. You gosh darned blue state dingbat! How can you possibly blame the Office for this? Arroyo signed that discounted contract AGAINST the advice of his agent. He wanted to stay and signed it hoping the good faith he showed would reflect favorably upon him. Well guess what...we had too much starting pitching and not enough RH power in the future outfield!

And like a typical blue stater...you want to give BA credit for not complaining when asked to do his job and pitch wherever/whenever he is needed?

Like I said...typical.

He took the hometown discount because he was told he would not be traded. Of course, this all goes down against his agents advice, since signing for less money would make a player more tradable, yes?

Now, I see this from three different perspectives actually:

Arroyo is stupid.

Arroyo is naive

Arroyo got %$#@!

But, I think we can all agree on this:

Jetbosox is a sheep who fancies himself an "intellect" with street cred.....a mini Theo of sorts. :rolleyes: In reality he's just a goofball.

The Yankees rotation and Bullpen on paper are not on the same planet as the Sox.

You're right. The Yankees have better bullpen and starting pitching.

Farnz, Sturtze, Dotel, Mariano, Villone, Myers

Foulke(?mark), Timlin (old but still good), Tavarez (pretty good), and Hansen is completely unproven so stop with the greatness talk bullsh#t.

Yankees bullpen is deeper and better. Not debatable.

Starting pitching - ya know what? I'm done wasting my breath on you.

Sox have more injury ?marks on their starting staff than the Yankees.

If both staffs stay healthy, Yankees will cruise to the AL Pennant.

You're right. The Yankees have better bullpen and starting pitching.

Farnz, Sturtze, Dotel, Mariano, Villone, Myers

Foulke(?mark), Timlin (old but still good), Tavarez (pretty good), and Hansen is completely unproven so stop with the greatness talk bullsh#t.

Yankees bullpen is deeper and better. Not debatable.

Starting pitching - ya know what? I'm done wasting my breath on you.

Sox have more injury ?marks on their starting staff than the Yankees.

If both staffs stay healthy, Yankees will cruise to the AL Pennant.

Let me ask you this, if the Sox dealt a SP/RP for a big bat (which they did just yesterday) doesn't that speak volumes as to where their pitching is currently at? Oh, if you only knew anything you were talking about. Craig Hansen will not be on the 25-man roster to start the season, just to show you how deep the Sox pen is this season. The Sox Pen is vastly superior to the Yankees. Foulke may be a question mark, but he is one of the best closers when healthy, and if he isn't we have many other viable options. Timlin may be old but he was one of the most dominant set-up men in the league last season. Then in other roles you have a great young pitcher in Papelbon, a very good veteran in Tavarez, another in Rudy Seanez who was 7-1 with a below 2.70 era last season, David Riske who's ERA was 3.10 last season, DiNardo a capable lefty who was very effective last season as well.

The Yankees on the other hand have Sturtze and Villone (bother 4 plus ERAs), Myers who is very effective against lefties and not much else, Farnsworth is a great pitcher so I'll give you him, and Dotel who may not even going to be able to pitch at the beginning of the season and is a huge question mark. Rivera is probably the best closer in the game, but we all know that he no longer strikes fear into anyone, especially the Red Sox.

If you want to talk about rotations, it is very clear the Sox is both better and deeper. You have Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Wells, and Clement. Schilling is in great shape and looks to vbe very healthy, Beckett when healthy is one of the best young pitchers in the game, Wakefield consistently gives 200+ innings and 15+ wins, Wells only lost one game last season in Fenway, and Matt Clement was an All-Star last season. The Yankees have the Unit who has begun to show his age, Mussina, who is in the same boat as Unit, and then who? You have Pavano, who is a huge bust, Wang who has shown glimspes of solidness, Wright who hasn't done much except be injured and pitch horribly, Chacon and Small, who are decent but cannot be expected to perform as well as last season. The Yankees throughout the pitching definately has more question marks than the Red Sox, and the Sox minor leagues are both deeper and better than that of the Yankees.

But of course, you'll come up with some mindless drivel to retort which will be about as effective as the Yankees pitching= not very.

How is it pathetic?

The Sox have arguably as good a lineup as your beloved Yanks now. That sounds like a post by a man in denial.

Haha, not even close is their lineup to our's.

Their pitching staff consists of Old Man I'm Done After 1 Great Year With Boston Schilling and David Fat Boy Wells who doesn't like the team and sucks worse then Kevin Brown, Jared Wright and Jeff Weaver combined.

The Sawx, just traded away one of their starting 5. They think they're making it through the year with Schilling, Wells, Wakefield, Beckett and Clement? Good luck.

Haha, not even close is their lineup to our's.

Their pitching staff consists of Old Man I'm Done After 1 Great Year With Boston Schilling and David Fat Boy Wells who doesn't like the team and sucks worse then Kevin Brown, Jared Wright and Jeff Weaver combined.

The Sawx, just traded away one of their starting 5. They think they're making it through the year with Schilling, Wells, Wakefield, Beckett and Clement? Good luck.

Arroyo was going to start the year in the bullpen smart guy.We've got a better chance with that rotation than you do making it through the year with Brown, Pavano, Wright, Wang, Mussina, and Unit. Oh and if Wells was so bad how come he only lost one game at Fenway last season. At least come with something better than that, unless you want to be thoroughly pwned all the time.

Archived