Just watched the game - this board needs therapy…

I havent really read the thread but the OP is 100% right, which we knew, the overreaction around here was teenage hysteria level.  That said, it always amazes me, without fail, how much fans overreact to everything in a new season.  It's like none of you have ever watched a single season of NFL Football.  Preseason games are absolutely and utterly meaningless, it's more about prepping for the game than it is about execution.  You psycho's were ready to put Wilson in the HOF after last seasons Preseason.  In fact, practice and the organized scrimmages vs. other teams are way more meaningful and a much better indicator of how the season will go.

Oh hey guess what?  Week 1.  Is also equally meaningless but this is a message board and I guess middle aged men need a place to get together and act like teenage girls.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Sad reality is this team will not win 3 games this season unless the defense gets it sh*t together, and fast. I sat there picturing Lamar Jackson running absolutely wild on them week 1. Now I realize it was only 2 series, but I cannot recall seeing WRs and TE open as much as seemingly every team's WR's and TE's always are against this defense. They looked the same as they did last season, unprepared, confused, and every other adjective one could use to describe mediocrity.

The eagles knew the ball was going to the TE and the lb undercut the route brilliantly.  Wilson never saw him, never.  The TE was open if the lb doesn’t do that….and i think wilson thought it was a simply play, like a practice play.  It didn’t occur to him that the route could be read.  Does he learn, maybe.

but the d being unprepared on the first series game after game after game is most concerning.  Saleh just can’t get this team motivated early on.  If I’m the other team i take the ball each time, b/c I’m going to be up 7-0 3 minutes later.

50 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Wrong, as a guy who wears a jets shirt into Lincoln financial field I say I’m a committed fan. However, I’m not going to lie to this board and say the eagles looked like “crap” it’s just not true 

As a guy that reads this forum every day, and has been a fan before the Jets only Super Bowl, Im an expert on miserable.    And you’re miserable!

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I havent really read the thread but the OP is 100% right, which we knew, the overreaction around here was teenage hysteria level.  That said, it always amazes me, without fail, how much fans overreact to everything in a new season.  It's like none of you have ever watched a single season of NFL Football.  Preseason games are absolutely and utterly meaningless, it's more about prepping for the game than it is about execution.  You psycho's were ready to put Wilson in the HOF after last seasons Preseason.  In fact, practice and the organized scrimmages vs. other teams are way more meaningful and a much better indicator of how the season will go.

Oh hey guess what?  Week 1.  Is also equally meaningless but this is a message board and I guess middle aged men need a place to get together and act like teenage girls.

Absolutely spot on post.

For me I will not be the sky is falling if they lose week 1 and in fact with Lamar, it would trend to be a loss.

The one key item for me week 1 is the defense. They have to show improvement and can't afford to give up 400 - 500 yards and just get mauled. 

Lamar is going to get his yards - but the Jets have to show some containment. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If being a Real Jets Fan™ requires one to alternate between “LEAAAVE BRITTNAY ALLLONE!!!” defense of the QB one moment and hulk smashing all your worldly possessions because the QB threw a pick the next moment, I’m glad I’m a fake fan.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Absolutely spot on post.

For me I will not be the sky is falling if they lose week 1 and in fact with Lamar, it would trend to be a loss.

The one key item for me week 1 is the defense. They have to show improvement and can't afford to give up 400 - 500 yards and just get mauled. 

Lamar is going to get his yards - but the Jets have to show some containment. 

Lamar Jackson has a very good chance to resemble a bona fide pocket passer with his passing yardage that game.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The similarity to a 2nd year Darnold post is just amazing. It’s like we’re stuck in some kind of time loop….

Yes from both perspectives either positive or negative. But the negatives are the voices that run rampant and dominate this forum. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Steve Young had a great career starting in 1992.  Unfortunately he was drafted in 1985.  The Jets would not have picked up his 5th year option and in today's NFL it's likely he would not have made it.  

If the Jets had picked him he would have been labeled a bust after 1 year undoubtedly. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First defensive series, give up easy td drive.

First offensive drive INT.

Second offensive drive Wilson seemingly out for the year. 

You have to be pretty optimistic to not think the season was over after that. 

in the 1st pre-season game? Wilson injury was scary, but pre season game results? who gives a sh*t

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Wrong, as a guy who wears a jets shirt into Lincoln financial field I say I’m a committed fan. However, I’m not going to lie to this board and say the eagles looked like “crap” it’s just not true 

Or a fan who should be committed. And I don't know Joe Walsh looked like crap , but he can still play a mean guitar ?.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Also worth noting that Garrett Wilson is facing significant downgrades in QB play and coaching staff. Dude has to feel like he transferred to an FCS school.

Yeah, when I think of the Coaching Mount Rushmore, I always start with Ryan fricking Day ?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes from both perspectives either positive or negative. But the negatives are the voices that run rampant and dominate this forum. 

That's your perspective, one I personally don't agree with. 

IMO the positivity-in-the-face-of-poor-objective-results crowd not only dominates JN, the site owner and several mods are counted amongst you, and we regularly have lengthy call-out threads telling "negative posters" to stop being "trolls", to not respond to positive posters because "they have a right to be positive" in some kind of forum safe space free from any other contradicting opinions, and even suggesting we be made to leave the site, asking why they even watch the Jets, etc.

Ultimately, folks will feel how the feel, and evaluate how they choose to.  I just find it incredible how similar the posts about Wilson are to the posts about Darnold at the same points of his career.  I should really go back to that era and just copy paste a few Sam-just-needs-time posts, and just change the name to Zach, and see if anyone catches on, lol.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Too much cinnamon, not hot enough, doesn't taste truly Mexican, vendors didn't attend a power 5 food powerhouse.........

OK, not hot enough (i.e. cold, stale) would be a major downer, I could see that.

Also "Vendors didn't attend a power 5 food powerhouse" made me literally (not figuratively) laugh out loud, so thanks for that. ?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

It's a Jets board.  Just speculating here but maybe it has something to do with the Jets.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

OIP.bAipIJGj-5Jsf9kBqAODeQHaEK?pid=ImgDe

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's your perspective, one I personally don't agree with. 

IMO the positivity-in-the-face-of-poor-objective-results crowd not only dominates JN, the site owner and several mods are counted amongst you, and we regularly have lengthy call-out threads telling "negative posters" to stop being "trolls", to not respond to positive posters because "they have a right to be positive" in some kind of forum safe space free from any other contradicting opinions, and even suggesting we be made to leave the site, asking why they even watch the Jets, etc.

Ultimately, folks will feel how the feel, and evaluate how they choose to.  I just find it incredible how similar the posts about Wilson are to the posts about Darnold at the same points of his career.  I should really go back to that era and just copy paste a few Sam-just-needs-time posts, and just change the name to Zach, and see if anyone catches on, lol.

You read these forums and the take away is the positive "crowd" dominates JN . I want some of what your smokin. 

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Sorry buddy - if the Jets win Week 1, we are absolutely the best team in the league and going to the playoffs. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You read these forums and the take away is the positive "crowd" dominates JN . I want some of what your smokin. 

Like I said, we all have our own perspectives, and biases. 

But I haven't seen any "Positive Fans Need to Leave Less Positive Fans Alone and Not Call them Trolls or Tell them to Root for Someone Else" threads from the Mods or Site Owners lately....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's a Jets board.  Just speculating here but maybe it has something to do with the Jets.

Agree with you 100%. And I fully expect fans to have concerns , and to bitch about poor showings and results, its what fans do.

But this group has taken miserable to the nth degree. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Totally agree.  You can't whine about negativity and be part of the positive crowd.  It's counter intutive.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Like I said, we all have our own perspectives, and biases. 

But I haven't seen any "Positive Fans Need to Leave Less Positive Fans Alone and Not Call them Trolls or Tell them to Root for Someone Else" threads from the Mods or Site Owners lately....

How many people want after JoeWilly for whatever it is he was doing , even SARi for that matter. Sure it was shtick but so is like 25% of the "negative" posters around here. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How many people want after JoeWilly for whatever it is he was doing , even SARi for that matter. Sure it was shtick but so is like 25% of the "negative" posters around here. 

"Sure it was shtick" - That's your answer.

Neither SAR, nor Joe, gave off any vibe that they believed what they were spamming.

You can dislike "negative", i.e. cynical, fact-based, stat-based, show-me type posters like myself, but be assured, we're not trolling, we're not schticking, we believe entirely in our posts (most of the time, there are always exceptions of course), and no, we're not happy about it, and we're not rooting for bad outcomes.

We want what you want.  We just don't buy that every guy we draft is a HOF'er before they play a down, or catch a pass, or score a TD.

Wilson and Darnold are great examples:  outside Jets homerdom, they're busts (one confirmed in Sam, one looming in Wilson).  Yet Sam was being described as elite almost to the day we dumped him by several posters here.  Wilson so far is materially worse than Sam, and yet we're "negative" if we don't think he's generational?  I mean come on Mehl, really.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

It’s just that the “negative” posters have facts and evidence and the “positive” posters have wishes and rainbows. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Neither SAR, nor Joe, gave off any vibe that they believed what they were spamming.

You can dislike "negative", i.e. cynical, fact-based, stat-based, show-me type posters like myself, but be assured, we're not trolling, we're not schticking, we believe entirely in our posts (most of the time, there are always exceptions of course), and no, we're not happy about it, and we're not rooting for bad outcomes.

We want what you want.  We just don't buy that every guy we draft is a HOF'er before they play a down, or catch a pass, or score a TD.

Wilson and Darnold are great examples:  outside Jets homerdom, they're busts (one confirmed in Sam, one looming in Wilson).  Yet Sam was being described as elite almost to the day we dumped him by several posters here.  Wilson so far is materially worse than Sam, and yet we're "negative" if we don't think he's generational?  I mean come on Mehl, really.

Speak for yourself. I’m a Manchurian poster sent by Belichick to sow disharmony and disrupt bonhomie among Jets fans. Once I receive my telepathic trigger signal from the mothership, I will be activated and reveal myself to be an agent of the Dark Lord.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're a nattering nabob of negativity!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It amazes me that the one actual football point you made was that pre-season is about preparation and execution and yet you failed to mention that the starters for 2 series weren't prepared, didn't execute and the guys in the other uniforms starters not only were prepared and executed they played like the actually enjoy the game and put some effort into it.   If it doesn't matter how come the other team did it and we didn't. 

The OP like you happen to be on a Jets board about football.  Instead of  making a football point or engaging in a positive discussion you want to make a blanket attack on Jets fans who actually reacted to the play on the field.  

You seem to agree that preperation and execution is the only thing that matters in pre-season.  If that's the criteria the Jets starters, the guys who will be playing in meaningful games, shat the bed.  That's concerning to Jets fans.  

If you don't think execution matters why have practice at all. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s just that the “negative” posters have facts and evidence and the “positive” posters have wishes and rainbows. 

Wishes and rainbows are jolly good and a natural consequence of fandom but don’t tell those of us that aren’t grabbing a bucket and heading off toward the horizon that we “must hate gold.”

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I didn't claim everyone fits that category , I put it at about 25%. And like I've said before previously , I have no problem debating posters based on their pov's , but its when people speak in absolutes - like they're busts after which you back it down and say one looming . 

• Upvote 1