If Wilson develops into prime Joe Flacco as a passer, are you satisfied?

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit lately.  Some will say it’s a dumb comparison because Zach is much more mobile, but strictly as a passer I think there are tons of similarities between Wilson and Flacco in his prime.  Huge arm, inconsistent accuracy at times.  Occasional “wtf” decisions. When he gets hot, can look all world.  But overall Flacco was a “good” starting QB for nearly a decade.  Never great though.

Flacco's average 17 game season over his 10 years as Baltimore was 3950 yards 22 TDs and 14 Ints.  He was pretty consistently that type of state line for a decade.

Is that successful in your mind?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit lately.  Some will say it’s a dumb comparison because Zach is much more mobile, but strictly as a passer I think there are tons of similarities between Wilson and Flacco in his prime.  Huge arm, inconsistent accuracy at times.  Occasional “wtf” decisions. When he gets hot, can look all world.  But overall Flacco was a “good” starting QB for nearly a decade.  Never great though.

Flacco's average 17 game season over his 10 years as Baltimore was 3950 yards 22 TDs and 14 Ints.  He was pretty consistently that type of state line for a decade.

I've said before, I'd just be thrilled with Dalton or Cousins level play. 

I don't think he even gets to that mediocre level 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you think the odds are of that, given the totality of what we've seen so far?

Maybe 30-40%

If Wilson doesn’t work out, then I have zero interest in drafting another QB anytime soon.

We’ve been going through that charade since 2009.

If Zach shows little to no growth this season, then it’s time for the Jets to make a move for a legit veteran and continue adding young playmakers through the draft.

• Post of the Week 1

No - the appeal to me with Wilson is the athletic upside combined with a supposedly good work ethic. He’s a boom or bust prospect. 

Having said that, if you to told me that we’d eventually win a Super Bowl with him like Flacco did with the Ravens, I’d have to begrudgingly sign for whatever came along with that. 

• Sympathy 2

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Flacco is the kind of QB who gets to a Super Bowl more by luck of draft location, rather than his own skill driving things.

Without the Baltimore D, he never sniffs a Super Bowl on his own.  His job was to not screw it up, not to win it.

In the big picture I get what you're saying -- but Flacco was absolutely a driving force for that Super Bowl team in the playoffs.

285 YPG, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, 117 rating.

2012 Ravens aren't beating the Broncos and Patriots in back to back weeks without great play from Flacco.

• Upvote 3

To answer the original question -- it kind of depends on what you mean by "prime" Joe Flacco.

You essentially averaged his production which isn't what I'd consider Flacco at his best, but if that's what we're going with? No, I don't think that passes. Especially since Flacco's numbers which were "solid" in the late oughts and early 2010s look pretty pedestrian now.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Right now Zach isn't a qualified NFL backup (pre injury).

But, yes if he blossoms , I would be ecstatic.

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No - the appeal to me with Wilson is the athletic upside combined with a supposedly good work ethic. He’s a boom or bust prospect. 

Having said that, if you to told me that we’d eventually win a Super Bowl with him like Flacco did with the Ravens, I’d have to begrudgingly sign for whatever came along with that. 

We now know that.

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To answer the original question -- it kind of depends on what you mean by "prime" Joe Flacco.

You essentially averaged his production which isn't what I'd consider Flacco at his best, but if that's what we're going with? No, I don't think that passes. Especially since Flacco's numbers which were "solid" in the late oughts and early 2010s look pretty pedestrian now.

Believe it or not, that average is pretty indicative of his best and worst year.  He was basically around 3600-3900 yards every year with low 20s TDs and low to mid teens in picks.  He was incredibly consistent.  Usually right around 60-62% completion.

I’d argue his best year was 2012 which was 60% completion.  3800 yards 22 TDs and 10 picks.  He threw for 4300 yards one year, but was 20 td 15 picks that year.

I think in general a guy at the level of Flacco while he was with the Ravens is good enough to win you a Super Bowl while he’s on his rookie deal. The rookie QB contract gives you a lot of ability to build a loaded team and win with just competent QB play.

If you go back through the SB winners it’s Brady, Manning, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford…and guys on rookie deals. Some excellent quarterbacks on rookie deals - Mahomes, Wilson, Roethlisberger, more Brady - but also Foles with Wentz on his rookie deal and Flacco. Or the Goff Rams as a runner up. Bengals last year as a runner up with Burrow. Seahawks were a runner up with Russ too and the 49ers had Kaep when they lost to the Flacco Ravens.

So I’d take it, but if that’s the level and it seems he’s staying there I’d move on before extending him, hopefully get good picks back, and start the rookie QB clock again.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

After 13 career starts? Statistically, you are likely to be proven right. 

But it’s worth noting that Ya’ll would have cut Aikman, Manning, Bradshaw, Young, Brees, etc., 

I realize it’s not quite there yet but we’re closer to being two decades off the most recent of those guys than we being are fifteen years away. Different era.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I realize it’s not quite there yet but we’re closer to being two decades off the most recent of those guys than we being are fifteen years away. Different era.

Josh Allen was a few years ago 

he had a pretty bad rookie year passing. It will happen again. 

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Josh Allen was a few years ago 

he had a pretty bad rookie year passing. It will happen again. 

It will, and it’ll probably be someone with freaky traits. I think the ability to make teams pay for blitzing you on a pretty consistent basis, whether it’s with brain/instincts (and if it’s brain/instincts those guys usually are at least solid early) or athleticism, is what makes the special guys special.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Absolutely 

Don’t understand why every QB drafted in the 1st round needs to be a HOFer or bust.

This team has been saddled with dogsh*t at the position for 50 years outside of a small handful of quality seasons from O’Brien, Vinny, Pennington and Fitzpatrick.

If Wilson can provide stability at the position for 10-12 years like Flacco did in Baltimore, then that’s a huge win.

Couldn’t have said it any better, thus I won’t even try.

Perfection is the enemy of the good.

• Upvote 1

After 13 career starts? Statistically, you are likely to be proven right. 

But it’s worth noting that Ya’ll would have cut Aikman, Manning, Bradshaw, Young, Brees, etc., 

Worth noting AGAIN people trot out HOFers had a rough start, therefore this new QB is gonna have a great career. That’s nonsense on stilts . People did it with Sanchez and Darnold. Please stop. Wilson has been bad, and all of the above at least were durable . And Young other than attending the same school has not a single thing similar in his early career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Worth noting AGAIN people trot out HOFers had a rough start, therefore this new QB is gonna have a great career. That’s nonsense on stilts . People did it with Sanchez and Darnold. Please stop. Wilson has been bad, and all of the above at least were durable . And Young other than attending the same school has not a single thing similar in his early career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Those who wish to base their hope on the few who had such a turnaround, need to at least acknowledge the vast, vast, vast numbers of those who didn’t (paging @Jetsfan80) and make some effort to tell us how our guy is more like the tiny population in the former category. “Some guys did a similar thing once,” is (I’m sorry, I tried to find a more polite way to phrase this) a trash ******* argument.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1