The case for Flacco Week 1

Like every Jet fan I was incredibly upset to watch Zach go down. It was a gut punch that ruined a nice Friday night plan in Philly. 

However, this is the NFL, basically a game of attrition when it comes to rosters. 

So where do we go from here and how do we avert crisis in a critical season for the “rebuild” where in 22 we were supposed to be competitive. The answer? We must start Joe Flacco. I never thought I say that. 

I’m not the biggest Flacco guy. His refusal to get vaccinated last year plus his 0-5 record as a Jets starter aren’t exactly compelling evidence to make him the starter but here we are. Here is why Joe should start

1) Excellent command of the offense today at camp and generally has had a generally good camp. He isn’t being tossed in like in years past. He will have time to prepare.

2) He will help the other 52 players develop in this system. He can read defenses and adjust to tough looks that Zach is not capable of yet.

3) We have a better shot at winning in September with him over a fresh from rehab Zach. The reality is Zach isn’t going to come back with no camp or practice in a month and be ready for the ravens defense. Ask yourself is it better for Zach to come back to an 0-2 or 0-3 team or a 2-1 1-2 team even. Don’t put the kid in a hole.

4) Zach’s health. He’s kinda injury prone with that knee. If he truly is the long term answer you don’t trot him out there becaus he’s technically “available”

Zach should come back in week 5 in my humble opinion. Let Joe operate in September and also allow Zach to learn, watch, and heal fully with no pressure.

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The case against:  I don’t want to watch Joe Flacco.  

He will not be the long term solution, but for a short term of four weeks, it will help with the development of rookies and sophomores while Zach syncs back-in.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He will not be the long term solution, but for a short term of four weeks, it will help with the development of rookies and sophomores while Zach syncs back-in.

I’ll re-phrase:  I don’t want to watch Joe Flacco play a single regular season down for the Jets.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I have torn my meniscus. Sure it was a while ago and technology advances every minute. But the idea that Zach will be back and playing in 2-4 weeks is insane. No way he will be near 100% at that point. To be at a better place, he needs more than 2-4 weeks. Year 2 for Zach. Let him get "good enough" which is more than 3 weeks. We will still learn with the remaining time what he is, and if he's "the guy".

• Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, pointman said:

I have torn my meniscus. Sure it was a while ago and technology advances every minute. But the idea that Zach will be back and playing in 2-4 weeks is insane. No way he will be near 100% at that point. To be at a better place, he needs more than 2-4 weeks. Year 2 for Zach. Let him get "good enough" which is more than 3 weeks. We will still learn with the remaining time what he is, and if he's "the guy".

2-4 weeks by the jets was a ridiculous timeline 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

2-4 weeks by the jets was a ridiculous timeline 

The Jets don't want to lose any more  revenue.  Opening day is the biggest money maker for them after that is down hill.

The jets want to make it look like he will be back opening day

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Like every Jet fan I was incredibly upset to watch Zach go down. It was a gut punch that ruined a nice Friday night plan in Philly. 

However, this is the NFL, basically a game of attrition when it comes to rosters. 

So where do we go from here and how do we avert crisis in a critical season for the “rebuild” where in 22 we were supposed to be competitive. The answer? We must start Joe Flacco. I never thought I say that. 

I’m not the biggest Flacco guy. His refusal to get vaccinated last year plus his 0-5 record as a Jets starter aren’t exactly compelling evidence to make him the starter but here we are. Here is why Joe should start

1) Excellent command of the offense today at camp and generally has had a generally good camp. He isn’t being tossed in like in years past. He will have time to prepare.

2) He will help the other 52 players develop in this system. He can read defenses and adjust to tough looks that Zach is not capable of yet.

3) We have a better shot at winning in September with him over a fresh from rehab Zach. The reality is Zach isn’t going to come back with no camp or practice in a month and be ready for the ravens defense. Ask yourself is it better for Zach to come back to an 0-2 or 0-3 team or a 2-1 1-2 team even. Don’t put the kid in a hole.

4) Zach’s health. He’s kinda injury prone with that knee. If he truly is the long term answer you don’t trot him out there becaus he’s technically “available”

Zach should come back in week 5 in my humble opinion. Let Joe operate in September and also allow Zach to learn, watch, and heal fully with no pressure.

Thoughts? 

How do you get from Wilson not being ready for game 1 to Flacco starting 4 games?  If Wilson is not fully healthy, he won't start. But once Wilson gets a week or two of practice in, he's the starter.  It's year 2.  If Wilson is healthy, there is no benefit to him sitting and watching.