Jump to content

My guess at the 53 man roster after Pre-Season Game 1


Sarge4Tide
 Share

Recommended Posts

OFFENSE - 25
Quarterback  - 3

  1.  2 - Zach Wilson  6'2" 214 BYU (QB)  
  2. 19 - Joe Flacco 6'6" 245 Delaware (QB) 
  3.  5 - Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB)  <<< Cut if Wilson Can Return By Game 1

Running Back  - 3

  1. 32 - Michael Carter  5'8" 201 North Carolina (RB)
  2. 20 - Breece Hall 6'1" 220 Iowa State (RB)    
  3. 38 - Zonovan Knight 5'11" 210 NC State (RB)  

Tight End  - 4

  1. 87 - CJ Uzomah 6'6" 260 Auburn (TE)   
  2. 83 - Tyler Conklin 6'3" 248 Central Michigan (TE)  
  3. 85 - Trevon Wesco 6'3" 267  West Virginia  (TE/FB)    
  4. 89 - Jeremy Ruckert 6'5" 250 Ohio State (TE)   

Wide Receiver - 6

  1. 84 - Corey Davis 6'3" 209 Western Michigan (WR)   
  2.   8 - Elijah Moore  5'10" 178 Mississippi (WR) 
  3. 10 - Braxton Berrios  5'9" 190  Miami (FL) (WR/KR)     
  4. 17 - Garrett Wilson 6'0" 183 Ohio State (WR)   (Draft Pick)  
  5. 11 - Denzel Mims 6'3" 207 Baylor (WR)
  6. 82 - Irvin Charles 6'4" 212 Indiana Univ (PA) (WR)   

Offensive Line - 9

  1. 76 - George Fant 6'5" 322 Western Kentucky (T)  
  2. 78 - Laken Tomlinson 6'3" 315 Duke (G)   
  3. 60 - Conner McGovern 6'4" 306 Missouri (C)  
  4. 75 - Alijah Vera-Tucker 6'4" 308 USC (G)   
  5. xx - Duane Brown 6'4" 315 Virginia Tech (T)  
  6. 70 - Chuma Edoga 6'3" 308 USC (T)      
  7. 67 - Dan Feeney 6'4" 310 Indiana (G/C)
  8. 61 - Max Mitchell 6'6" 307 Louisiana (T)   
  9. 71 - Nate Herbig 6'4" 330 Stanford (C/G)   

DEFENSE - 25

Line /  Edge - 9

  1. 58 - Carl Lawson 6'2" 265 Auburn (DE)   
  2. 91 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE)   
  3. 54 - Jacob Martin 6'2" 242 Temple (DE/LB)   
  4. 52 - Jermaine Johnson II 6'5" 254 Florida State (DE) (Draft Pick)  
  5. 72 - Michael Clemons 6'5" 263 Texas A&M (DE) (Draft Pick)  
  6. 92 - Jabari Zuniga  6'3" 264 Florida (DE)     
  7. 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)   
  8. 98 - Sheldon Rankins 6'2" 305 Louisville (DT) 
  9. 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)   

Linebacker - 5

  1. 57 - CJ Mosley 6'2" 250 Alabama (ILB)   
  2. 56 - Quincey Williams 5'11" 225 Murray State (LB) 
  3.   9 - Kwon Alexander 6'1" 227 LSU (ILB) 
  4. 36 - Marcell Harris   6'0" 215 Florida (OLB)   
  5. 44 - Jamien Sherwood  6'2" 216 Auburn (OLB)  

Cornerback - 7

  1.  1 - Sauce Gardner 6'3" 190 Cincinnati (CB)    (Draft Pick)
  2.  4 - DJ Reed 5'9" 193 Kansas State (CB)    
  3. 37 - Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 UVA (CB)   
  4. 26 - Brandin Echols  5'10" 180 Kentucky (CB) 
  5. 30 - Michael Carter II 5'10" 184 Duke (S/CB)
  6. 40 - Javelin Guidry 5'9" 191 Utah (CB) 
  7. 34 - Justin Hardee 6'1" 194 Illinois (CB)  

Safety - 4

  1.   6 - Jordan Whitehead 5'10" 198 Pitt (S)   
  2. 29 - Lamarcus Joyner 5'8" 185 Florida State (S/CB)  
  3. 21 - Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)   
  4. 41 - Jason Pinnock 6'0" 205 Pitt (S/CB)    

Special Teams - 3

Punter - 1

  1.  7 - Braden Mann 5'11" 198 Texas A+M (P)   

Kicker - 1

  1. 14 - Greg Zuerlein 6'0" 191 Missouri West (PK)  

Long Snapper - 1

  1. 42 - Thomas Hennessy 6'2" 246 Duke (LS) 

10 HARDEST CUTS

  1. 47 - Bryce Huff 6'3" 255 Memphis (DE) << Sticks if Zach can play in Game 1 and White is cut - will be claimed
  2. 39 - Will Parks 6'0" 200 Arizona (S)  << Davis beats him out (Extremely hard cut), Jets hope he can stick on PS
  3. 94 - Solomon Thomas 6'3" 280 Stanford (DL)  << Versatile Vet, Jets hope he can stick on PS
  4. 69 - Conor McDermott 6'8" 305 UCLA (G/T) << Either him or Edoga has to go
  5. 31 - Rachard Wildgoose 5'10" 191 Wisconsin (CB)  << Talented, but Hardee beats him out
  6. 45 - Hamsah Nasirildeen   6'3" 215 Florida State (OLB) << Sherwood and Harris make him expendable
  7. 43 - Del'Shawn Phillips 6'2" 230 Illinois (LB)  << Always dependable, but the odd man out
  8. 99 - Vinny Curry 6'3" 279 Marshall (DE) << Might go on IR
  9. 23 - Tevin Coleman 6'1" 210 Indiana (RB)   << Bam Knight beats him out
  10. 16 - Jeff Smith 6'0" 195  Boston College   (WR)  << Irvin Charles earns a spot based on special teams play
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is based purely on what reports I have read but I think id keep Wildgoose over Hardee and Huff over Zuniga.  Also McDermott over Edoga.  Probably Will Parks over Davis.. Id also keep Yeboah or the TE/WR over Wesco If I was keeping 4 TE.  I think they might keep three and try to stash oneof the others on the Practice Squad.  Id think they keep 4 RBs over 4 TEs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

This is based purely on what reports I have read but I think id keep Wildgoose over Hardee and Huff over Zuniga.  Also McDermott over Edoga.  Probably Will Parks over Davis.. Id also keep Yeboah or the TE/WR over Wesco If I was keeping 4 TE.  I think they might keep three and try to stash oneof the others on the Practice Squad.  Id think they keep 4 RBs over 4 TEs.

I'll buy Wildgoose over Hardee, Parks over Davis and Huff over Zuniga, probably even McDermott over Edoga - all those are plausibe.  Yeboah ain't making the team though and he's certainly not beating out Wesco.  MAYBE it's Nick Bawden over Wesco, but even that is a longshot

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a prediction, but I would definitely cut Hardee.  He's supposedly the special teams ace?  All I remember are bad plays.  I'd rather have someone who was a better football player, even if they weren't quite as good on specials.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots I disagree with, especially Huff who is is a lock IMO,  I just do not see Wesco making it and I think Cager is almost a lock after he showed up in the preseason game. 

I do like the 3 at RB I think that's the way they go along with 2 QBs. White I think is in danger of being cut despite the tender. Not sure if he resigns with us on PS might go elsewhere.

Marshall us making it over Rankins or Shepherd, he never makes it to PS. 

Mann doing kickoffs suggests Piniero may even be leading the kicker competition. 

That said awesome you put this together.

Also Hardee playing CB is a red flag for him I think Cager takes his spot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Tanzel Smart?   Seems to be outplaying Rankins so far...

Rankins and Shepard should not make this team.  they both are horrible against the run

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

OFFENSE - 25
Quarterback  - 3

  1.  2 - Zach Wilson  6'2" 214 BYU (QB)  
  2. 19 - Joe Flacco 6'6" 245 Delaware (QB) 
  3.  5 - Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB)  <<< Cut if Wilson Can Return By Game 1

Running Back  - 3

  1. 32 - Michael Carter  5'8" 201 North Carolina (RB)
  2. 20 - Breece Hall 6'1" 220 Iowa State (RB)    
  3. 38 - Zonovan Knight 5'11" 210 NC State (RB)  

Tight End  - 4

  1. 87 - CJ Uzomah 6'6" 260 Auburn (TE)   
  2. 83 - Tyler Conklin 6'3" 248 Central Michigan (TE)  
  3. 85 - Trevon Wesco 6'3" 267  West Virginia  (TE/FB)    
  4. 89 - Jeremy Ruckert 6'5" 250 Ohio State (TE)   

Wide Receiver - 6

  1. 84 - Corey Davis 6'3" 209 Western Michigan (WR)   
  2.   8 - Elijah Moore  5'10" 178 Mississippi (WR) 
  3. 10 - Braxton Berrios  5'9" 190  Miami (FL) (WR/KR)     
  4. 17 - Garrett Wilson 6'0" 183 Ohio State (WR)   (Draft Pick)  
  5. 11 - Denzel Mims 6'3" 207 Baylor (WR)
  6. 82 - Irvin Charles 6'4" 212 Indiana Univ (PA) (WR)   

Offensive Line - 9

  1. 76 - George Fant 6'5" 322 Western Kentucky (T)  
  2. 78 - Laken Tomlinson 6'3" 315 Duke (G)   
  3. 60 - Conner McGovern 6'4" 306 Missouri (C)  
  4. 75 - Alijah Vera-Tucker 6'4" 308 USC (G)   
  5. xx - Duane Brown 6'4" 315 Virginia Tech (T)  
  6. 70 - Chuma Edoga 6'3" 308 USC (T)      
  7. 67 - Dan Feeney 6'4" 310 Indiana (G/C)
  8. 61 - Max Mitchell 6'6" 307 Louisiana (T)   
  9. 71 - Nate Herbig 6'4" 330 Stanford (C/G)   

DEFENSE - 25

Line /  Edge - 9

  1. 58 - Carl Lawson 6'2" 265 Auburn (DE)   
  2. 91 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE)   
  3. 54 - Jacob Martin 6'2" 242 Temple (DE/LB)   
  4. 52 - Jermaine Johnson II 6'5" 254 Florida State (DE) (Draft Pick)  
  5. 72 - Michael Clemons 6'5" 263 Texas A&M (DE) (Draft Pick)  
  6. 92 - Jabari Zuniga  6'3" 264 Florida (DE)     
  7. 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)   
  8. 98 - Sheldon Rankins 6'2" 305 Louisville (DT) 
  9. 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)   

Linebacker - 5

  1. 57 - CJ Mosley 6'2" 250 Alabama (ILB)   
  2. 56 - Quincey Williams 5'11" 225 Murray State (LB) 
  3.   9 - Kwon Alexander 6'1" 227 LSU (ILB) 
  4. 36 - Marcell Harris   6'0" 215 Florida (OLB)   
  5. 44 - Jamien Sherwood  6'2" 216 Auburn (OLB)  

Cornerback - 7

  1.  1 - Sauce Gardner 6'3" 190 Cincinnati (CB)    (Draft Pick)
  2.  4 - DJ Reed 5'9" 193 Kansas State (CB)    
  3. 37 - Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 UVA (CB)   
  4. 26 - Brandin Echols  5'10" 180 Kentucky (CB) 
  5. 30 - Michael Carter II 5'10" 184 Duke (S/CB)
  6. 40 - Javelin Guidry 5'9" 191 Utah (CB) 
  7. 34 - Justin Hardee 6'1" 194 Illinois (CB)  

Safety - 4

  1.   6 - Jordan Whitehead 5'10" 198 Pitt (S)   
  2. 29 - Lamarcus Joyner 5'8" 185 Florida State (S/CB)  
  3. 21 - Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)   
  4. 41 - Jason Pinnock 6'0" 205 Pitt (S/CB)    

Special Teams - 3

Punter - 1

  1.  7 - Braden Mann 5'11" 198 Texas A+M (P)   

Kicker - 1

  1. 14 - Greg Zuerlein 6'0" 191 Missouri West (PK)  

Long Snapper - 1

  1. 42 - Thomas Hennessy 6'2" 246 Duke (LS) 

10 HARDEST CUTS

  1. 47 - Bryce Huff 6'3" 255 Memphis (DE) << Sticks if Zach can play in Game 1 and White is cut - will be claimed
  2. 39 - Will Parks 6'0" 200 Arizona (S)  << Davis beats him out (Extremely hard cut), Jets hope he can stick on PS
  3. 94 - Solomon Thomas 6'3" 280 Stanford (DL)  << Versatile Vet, Jets hope he can stick on PS
  4. 69 - Conor McDermott 6'8" 305 UCLA (G/T) << Either him or Edoga has to go
  5. 31 - Rachard Wildgoose 5'10" 191 Wisconsin (CB)  << Talented, but Hardee beats him out
  6. 45 - Hamsah Nasirildeen   6'3" 215 Florida State (OLB) << Sherwood and Harris make him expendable
  7. 43 - Del'Shawn Phillips 6'2" 230 Illinois (LB)  << Always dependable, but the odd man out
  8. 99 - Vinny Curry 6'3" 279 Marshall (DE) << Might go on IR
  9. 23 - Tevin Coleman 6'1" 210 Indiana (RB)   << Bam Knight beats him out
  10. 16 - Jeff Smith 6'0" 195  Boston College   (WR)  << Irvin Charles earns a spot based on special teams play

Great post as always!  Appreciate you starting these type of threads.

1. I think you're light on the interior DL.  Believe Thomas will make it.  

2. The poster above is right that Tanzel would be a Smart choice over Rankins, who has been one of JD's worst signings (Jets save $3.5M with the cut).  I still have Shepard over Marshall, who has been quiet.  PS for him.

3. Can Z Knight pass block?  If not, then it will be Coleman.  Jets need to win this year and protect the QB on blitzes.

4. Bawden over Wesco.  You're right on a 4th TE but it will be Cager to create some mismatches.

5. It's that much more important to keep a third QB due to injury concerns.  Still betting on White to make it.  Tough game for him last Friday but the guy hasn't really gotten a lot of reps so should we be surprised he was rusty.  His accuracy last year was a non issue.  His interceptions on the other hand ..

6. Mims will be traded and Smith released.  Calvin Jackson will make this team, part of only 5 WRs to make room for the extra TE.

7. Hardee will be a tough cut, to make room for an extra DL.

8. If Wildgoose continues to show up in the preseason, Echols roster spot might be in jeopardy.  Only a 20% chance at this point but something to monitor :).

9. Bye Bye Ashtyn Davis.  Hello Parks & Rec.

10. Huff or Zuniga?  I still believe Huff but you might be on to something.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's the odd man out right now, which sucks.  Can we sneak him onto the practice squad?

If he has two decent games, I'd say no. Becht had a great point about him....he runs the most precise routes of any of the TE's based on his WR training. He could be a true match up nightmare. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

I would take this guy over Sheppard.

 

He's a demon as an interior pass rusher, but he's just too small to be an every down interior defensive lineman.  He has a unique skillset but he's a luxury we probably can't afford

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Huff, Parks and Thomas are making the team.

Huff is a very valuable pass-rusher, and the coaches love him. Parks is ahead of both Davis and Pinnock, based on the way they were used against the Eagles. And Thomas is essentially a starter next to Quinnen.

Subtract Shepherd, Zuniga and Irvin Charles. I also doubt Mims is on the team come opening day, probably via trade. So Smith is probably the 5th WR.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's a demon as an interior pass rusher, but he's just too small to be an every down interior defensive lineman.  He has a unique skillset but he's a luxury we probably can't afford

Sheppard brings nothing to the table. And Smart is 6'1" 295, Rankins is 6'2" 305 and Sheppard is 6'4" 315. He's shorter that's all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I think Huff, Parks and Thomas are making the team.

Huff is a very valuable pass-rusher, and the coaches love him. Parks is ahead of both David and Pinnock, based on the way they were used against the Eagles. And Thomas is essentially a starter next to Quinnen.

Subtract Shepherd, Zuniga and Irvin Charles. I also doubt Mims is on the team come opening day, probably via trade. So Smith is probably the 5th WR.

The odds say you are right, but seeing him working on special teams may give him one last chance.  I really think JD is going to struggle hitting the eject button on the second draft pick he ever made without exhausting all options to keep him...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, section314 said:

What about Cager?

I think he has a chance of taking Wesco's spot even though they like to use Wesco as a FB. But keeping Cager may allow for us to carry 1 less WR since he is a hybrid.

I also think they will only carry 8 d-linemen/edge which may allow for another RB to make it.

Gonna be tough to keep Wildgoose off the roster if he keeps balling. Echols or Hardee may be on the bubble.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BlindSideHit said:

Does anyone have a simple guide to Practice Squad rules; i.e., can any player be taken by another team, or are there longevity/protection clauses that allow Jets to protect certain players?

Looks like teams can protect 4 players of the 16 on the PS from being claimed.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This is based purely on what reports I have read but I think id keep Wildgoose over Hardee and Huff over Zuniga.  Also McDermott over Edoga.  Probably Will Parks over Davis.. Id also keep Yeboah or the TE/WR over Wesco If I was keeping 4 TE.  I think they might keep three and try to stash oneof the others on the Practice Squad.  Id think they keep 4 RBs over 4 TEs.

If Cager keeps making plays at TE he has to make the 53 man squad. This team needs skill position players who actually can consistently make plays with the skill they have, hence the term skill position player. We never can have enough of those since our O has so little margin for error it always seems one drop or 5-10 yard penalty kills the drive. I am sick of that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...