If I was Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh

Jet25

With Zach Wilson's injury. This would be the perfect time to take advantage of the situation by starting the veteran QB Flacco.

I would not make a healthy Zach Wilson the starter in week 2 if we beat Baltimore with Flacco

If Flacco is able to win us some games going 2-0 or even 2-1. This will prove to Woody and the fans that this team that JD put together is just a QB away from being great.

Sitting at 2-0, 2-1, or 3-0(miracle) and Zach Wilson returns in week 4 and the offense goes back to struggling. JD nor Saleh will be on the hot seat in 2023 since Flacco proved that we can win with this team.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slats said:

The #1 priority for the organization is determining whether or not they’re going to go forward with Zach Wilson at QB. He’s going to play when he’s healthy. 

Also, JD and Saleh are not worried about their jobs. 

I'm not totally sure about that.  If we produce another 4-13 this year, I think Saleh's in trouble.  I could see Woody backing up the truck for Sean Payton...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If Zach doesn’t throw that pick on Friday then no one is saying this.

Everyone was excited about the kid stacking good practices, adding more muscle mass to his frame, etc.

Again, you guys are basing way too much on pre-season.

Joe Flacco is a solid veteran backup who shouldn’t embarrass himself for a week or two while Zach recuperates.

Zach Wilson is absolutely going to be the starter when he returns, as he should be.

Last year Wilson was excellent in preseason and everyone did the same thing in the other direction. Idk what’s going on with this board but it’s pretty annoying right now.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm not totally sure about that.  If we produce another 4-13 this year, I think Saleh's in trouble.  I could see Woody backing up the truck for Sean Payton...

No way is the organization getting rid of Saleh before he has the opportunity to finish the rebuild.  

Saleh is safe until 2024

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

The #1 priority for the organization is determining whether or not they’re going to go forward with Zach Wilson at QB. He’s going to play when he’s healthy. 

I don't know, it might be nice having a couple games with Flacco to act as a base line to compare to once Zach gets back, and hopefully with everyone else healthy, to boot.

Not that I'm in favor to sit Zach for an extended period of time, but maybe an extra game or two just to make sure he's 100%, especially if Flacco is doing well. Probably wouldn't sit him for longer than that if he didn't need it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If Zach doesn’t throw that pick on Friday then no one is saying this.

Everyone was excited about the kid stacking good practices, adding more muscle mass to his frame, etc.

Again, you guys are basing way too much on pre-season.

Joe Flacco is a solid veteran backup who shouldn’t embarrass himself for a week or two while Zach recuperates.

Zach Wilson is absolutely going to be the starter when he returns, as he should be.

Yeah, if Zach wasn't still showing old tendencies of struggling to read coverages, no one would be worried!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I would not make a healthy Zach Wilson the starter in week 2 if we beat Baltimore with Flacco

This isn't going to happen.

I'm a realist.  They're not beating Baltimore with Mike White either.  But at least allow us to be entertained.  Give us MW.  Or even Chris Steveler.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, if Zach wasn't still showing old tendencies of struggling to read coverages, no one would be worried!

If he’s doing stuff like this when he comes back from injury and the games actually count, then get worried.

Pre-season means dick yet everyone always falls back into the same trap every August when it finally rolls back around.

Joe Flacco isn’t the future of the Jets. Mike White isn’t the future of the Jets. Chris f*cking Streveler isn’t the future of the Jets.

Zach Wilson may not turn out to be the future of the Jets either, but he sure as hell has a better chance than the other 3.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree on point one, however while I don't think JD has anything to worry about, because I believe he is building a good roster, I'd be very worried if I were Saleh, because this fan base will be all over him. There is no reason to not show improvement over last year. It is imperative that Zach plays as much as possible to see what we have in him. JD only loses his job if he is too stubborn to go out and get competition for him in 2023, if Zach proves he can't handle the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Except 1 pass is not a trend especially 1 pass in preseason and yet everyone is forcing narratives into this one incident. This has been a wild 3 days since the game and I mean that in the worst way possible.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PorP said:

No way is the organization getting rid of Saleh before he has the opportunity to finish the rebuild.  

Saleh is safe until 2024

What positions are you looking to fill before you say the rebuild is over? JD has basically completely turned over Macc's roster.  If we're giving up 200 yds every week on the ground and hitting opposing QB's 3 yds out of bounds, that's on Saleh, and I don't think Woody's going to stand for more airplanes buzzing One Jets Drive next spring...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Everyone was excited about the kid stacking good practices, adding more muscle mass to his frame, smashing mature strange, etc.

Everyone was excited about all the sacks coming out of practice also, only to have the defense give up an opening drive touchdown. Like I said before I get it's preseason, but the team needs to look better than it did in the first quarter. Glad the 2nd's and 3rd's played somewhat well, but how many of them are actually going to see the field come regular season.

3 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Agree on point one, however while I don't think JD has anything to worry about, because I believe he is building a good roster, I'd be very worried if I were Saleh, because this fan base will be all over him. There is no reason to not show improvement over last year. It is imperative that Zach plays as much as possible to see what we have in him. JD only loses his job if he is too stubborn to go out and get competition for him in 2023, if Zach proves he can't handle the NFL.

Saleh is supposed to be a rah rah coach who doesn’t get carried away like Rex.  But if your d comes out flat every game like this even in preseason, you have to wonder if saleh’s supposed strength is real.  At least Rex’s guys on d didn’t come out flat every game like this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

24 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

A 4-13 season would be rough, but I think it would only put them on the hot seat in 2023, not get anyone fired. I also don’t think they’re anticipating another 4-13 season. Internally, I’m sure they’ve had a great many conversations between themselves and with the owners about the current state of the QB position. I don’t believe that they’re interested in firing a second straight coach after just two seasons, and I also suspect that they’ll be graded on a curve based on that QB play. 

PVO and all that, I’d rather not get into speculative conversations about Zach potentially sucking, but whether he does or not I expect JD and Saleh here in year 3, either with a brand new starter or that Trubisky/Minshew type backup to push him. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh is supposed to be a rah rah coach who doesn’t get carried away like Rex.  But if your d comes out flat every game like this even in preseason, you have to wonder if saleh’s supposed strength is real.  At least Rex’s guys on d didn’t come out flat every game like this.

No just in important ones like a playoff game . 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Everyone was excited about all the sacks coming out of practice also, only to have the defense give up an opening drive touchdown. Like I said before I get it's preseason, but the team needs to look better than it did in the first quarter. Glad the 2nd's and 3rd's played somewhat well, but how many of them are actually going to see the field come regular season.

Perspective: That TD doesn’t happen if Quincy Williams is replaced by Mosley. No late hit, no first down, no TD. 

imo they shouldn't rush wilson back even moreso if flacco picks up a couple of wins.  the difference between this season and last as far as these injuries go is they are happening early in pre season.  flacco will have more time to get prepared for game sone and/or two.  he'll be practising with the first stringers.  i think he'll be good enough to pick up a win or two if the rest of the team plays well.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Perspective: That TD doesn’t happen if Quincy Williams is replaced by Mosley. No late hit, no first down, no TD. 

I get it, but Williams will be playing on Sunday's... Maybe not starting, but he will be in there some.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Speaking of which, can someone please explain the bromance the CS and JD seem to have with Quincy Williams?  I get the high motor, but he's constantly out of position, over pursues, and is a liability in pass coverage.  Do they really think a lack of instincts is coachable?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Speaking of which, can someone please explain the bromance the CS and JD seem to have with Quincy Williams?  I get the high motor, but he's constantly out of position, over pursues, and is a liability in pass coverage.  Do they really think a lack of instincts is coachable?

No but game understanding is coachable, speed and aggression are not. 

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're basing your opinion that Flacco gives them a better chance to win than Wilson does.

I do not believe Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh believe that. 

Objection your honor, speculation 

there's no way the witness can possibly know what Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh believe

but if we are speculating... Joe Douglas is probably in love with Zach

and there's probably a real part of Robert Saleh/MLF who are just relieved the offense is going to be run on time and within system for a change.  Zach Wilson, at his best, is like a playground street ball type of gunslinger. MW and JF have flaws but they get the ball out on time. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If he’s doing stuff like this when he comes back from injury and the games actually count, then get worried.

Pre-season means dick yet everyone always falls back into the same trap every August when it finally rolls back around.

Nah, I'll worry now. I'm not saying that's who Zach is and always will be, but when he's making the same kind of mistakes that made him the 32nd ranked QB last season, it's cause for concern over his development.

And, yes, while preseason success means dick in the grand scheme of things, that's because the competition level is substantially lower than in regular season. Starters don't play much, and when they do they may not be giving 100%; a lot of the competition faced will be hauling packages come September; and schemes are mostly vanilla. Preseason should be easier, so when a player shows struggles in that level of competition, it is certainly valid question how they will perform with live ammunition. It is not nearly the same as tempering expectations because Greg McElroy looked good in preseason.

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Joe Flacco isn’t the future of the Jets. Mike White isn’t the future of the Jets. Chris f*cking Streveler isn’t the future of the Jets.

Agreed on two out of three counts!

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Zach Wilson may not turn out to be the future of the Jets either, but he sure as hell has a better chance than the other 3.

Agreed. Maybe. I don't know. Ask me again after watching Daddy Flacco week one.

• Upvote 1

I'm probably one of the bigger Zach supporters on the forum. Now, I don't make 1,000 posts a day but many of my posts are either in defense of Zach or about the optimism I have for the kid. But what I saw on Friday was completely disheartening. I was hoping and expecting to see complete control and competence of the offense and of his role on the field. Instead he was a complete embarrassment. I mean really. First pass is thrown into the mezzanine missing a wide open GW. Third pass a disgraceful INT. And then he blows up his knee on a juke. A FKG JUKE! Someone cue up the Benny Hill music.

I know it was only 2 drives but when you add it to his entire body of work so far it is hard for me to not feel worried about him from here on out. If by some miracle Flacco goes on a run I say ride the hot hand until the wheels fall off and let Zach fully heal and maybe learn a thing or two in the meantime and put him back in only if the team is losing or around .500. If Flacco has us (yeah I said us!) at 3-0, 4-0 then they'd be fools to pull Flacco for Zach.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1