So Arizona State football under Herm is a dumpster fire...

Jetsfan80

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2022/08/11/asu-football-herm-edwards-slammed-college-coach-hot-seat-ranking/10296901002/

The criticism for Herm Edwards and the state of the ASU football program continues to come in with an ESPN college football writer becoming the latest to slam the Arizona State coach and his team.

ESPN's Pete Thamel blasted Edwards and the Sun Devils in a story on the college football coaching carousel on Wednesday.

The ASU coach was listed among four coaches on the proverbial "hot seat" in the sport and Thamel did not go easy on the state of Arizona State's program.

"ASU has a bad roster, underwhelming staff and the Pac-12’s worst recruiting class in 2023," he wrote. "All that, and a milquetoast 25-18 record under Edwards. ASU passed on starting over when the scope of the potential allegations against Edwards became apparent. Instead, they’ve emboldened the aggrieved staffers who claim they got pushed out for not cheating, who have been overloading NCAA investigators with evidence of the violations under Edwards’ watch."

Other than all THAT, Mrs. Lincoln.....how was the play?

On top of all that, for all those who care about clothes ( @Gastineau Lives, @Barry McCockinner ), the newly unveiled uniforms are terrible:

FZ-jB06UYAINx8l?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Wow… I had thought Herm could at least recruit if nothing else…

He can't recruit within the state AND he just lost 2 of the most talented players in the country to the transfer portal:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3250397/espns-connelly-2-asu-transfers-can-dictate-college-football-playoff/

As Arizona State manages low expectations from outside the program, it’s easy to forget the Sun Devils’ place in the larger fabric of college football.

The transfer portal took from Tempe more than it gave back, and that could very well have implications in the College Football Playoff for 2022.

ESPN’s Bill Connelly patched together his list of 25 players who will have the largest impact in the College Football Playoff race, and two former Sun Devils made the cut: LSU Tigers quarterback Jayden Daniels and USC Trojans linebacker Eric Gentry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2022/08/11/asu-football-herm-edwards-slammed-college-coach-hot-seat-ranking/10296901002/

The criticism for Herm Edwards and the state of the ASU football program continues to come in with an ESPN college football writer becoming the latest to slam the Arizona State coach and his team.

ESPN's Pete Thamel blasted Edwards and the Sun Devils in a story on the college football coaching carousel on Wednesday.

The ASU coach was listed among four coaches on the proverbial "hot seat" in the sport and Thamel did not go easy on the state of Arizona State's program.

"ASU has a bad roster, underwhelming staff and the Pac-12’s worst recruiting class in 2023," he wrote. "All that, and a milquetoast 25-18 record under Edwards. ASU passed on starting over when the scope of the potential allegations against Edwards became apparent. Instead, they’ve emboldened the aggrieved staffers who claim they got pushed out for not cheating, who have been overloading NCAA investigators with evidence of the violations under Edwards’ watch."

An espn "writer"... 🙄

Thanks Max.  The 2005 reference is a good one.  Back then JN overachieved big time.

We really did overachieve. 500+ posts the first day we launched. I put it up there with the Miracle on Ice!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Seriously.  Thought he'd excel in that area.

He even cheated a bunch, apparently, and STILL can’t win.  

Reminds me of Marlon Byrd, who was popped multiple times for PEDs but still only managed to hit 159 HR over a 15-year career (2002-2016). 

Herm Edwards is the Marlon Byrd of college coaches. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

There would be parades scheduled and statues erected if the Jets somehow managed to have the record that Herman Edwards had while with the Jets, now.

Perhaps, but of course we know at the collegiate level the HC picks the groceries AND the non-conference schedule.   Plus Herm has been cheating and is still just 7 games over .500 while competing in the weak PAC-12.  He somehow managed to lose 24-10 to a bad Oregon St team last season, as well as Washington St at home.  

The fans/boosters at ASU are not at all happy and rightfully so.  Simply unacceptable results 4 years into his program.  

• Upvote 2

Perhaps, but of course we know at the collegiate level the HC picks the groceries AND the non-conference schedule.   Plus Herm has been cheating and is still just 7 games over .500 while competing in the weak PAC-12.  He somehow managed to lose 24-10 to a bad Oregon St team last season, as well as Washington St at home.  

The fans/boosters at ASU are not at all happy and rightfully so.  Simply unacceptable results 4 years into his program.  

Personally, I have no interest in ASU football. I do know that they have had decent attendance and a mediocre record. That seems to be the PAC in general.

There were many here that wanted Herm run out on a rail at the end. And, he had run his course with this franchise. BUT, he deserved a lot better than what he received from many, particularly on this board. His teams were disciplined. They often were often in the top 5 in fewest penalties and in turnover margin. That is a sign of being drilled and disciplined.

He had his faults, no doubt. In game management and on the feet thinking were not his forte. And his team suffered from those lapses. BUT, he is is Halas-like in comparison to what the Jets had recently in terms of coaching. 

The biggest gripe that I have of the end of the Edwards era was the way the Jets bungled compensation for him. The Chiefs obviously tampered. The Chiefs obviously wanted him. And he had several years of a contract left with the Jets. In some circles, and in similar circumstances, The Jets would have received better compensation because of those facts. But Woody being Woody, and Bradway being Bradway totally botched leverage that they had and their combined business acumen brought back a 4th round draft pick. All the while compensation for a coach had already been demonstrated by the NFL. Just another example of Woody being a very poor businessman and bowing to league pressure and taking it.

And those reasons (ownership ineptitude), along with a zillion others just like them that circle around the poor management of this club, is why we are here. 

15 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Herm Edwards took a team that was an Achilles tear away from winning the SB built for a vertical passing game and a 3-4 defense and turned it into a WCO and a tampa 2 defense. The guy was playing 4D chess while everyone else was playing tick tack toe

I guess the trading away of Keyshawn Johnson and dismissal of Al Groh actually taking over for that team somewhat dilutes that chess theory.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Other than all THAT, Mrs. Lincoln.....how was the play?

On top of all that, for all those who care about clothes ( @Gastineau Lives, @Barry McCockinner ), the newly unveiled uniforms are terrible:

FZ-jB06UYAINx8l?format=jpg&name=4096x409

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!

even if it means a little cheating

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I guess the trading away of Keyshawn Johnson and dismissal of Al Groh actually taking over for that team somewhat dilutes that chess theory.

Keyshawn was probably much more suited for a WCO as a somewhat slow possession receiver, so not sure how he helps Herm out. Herm was a great guy, great motivator, and I really wanted him to win, but man was he a puzzling coach

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Keyshawn was probably much more suited for a WCO as a somewhat slow possession receiver, so not sure how he helps Herm out. Herm was a great guy, great motivator, and I really wanted him to win, but man was he a puzzling coach

I have no dog in this fight. One thing I do know, the Jets have only won a division title in their less than lackluster history. Herm Edwards owns one of those titles.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have no dog in this fight. One thing I do know, the Jets have only won a division title in their less than lackluster history. Herm Edwards owns one of those titles.

Sadly, like really sadly, he or Mangini were the best coaches we've had since Parcells, so like 25 years. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

* Built off the back of Parcells’ roster

He’s better than Gase, Al Groh, and possibly Todd Bowles were as HCs.  But that’s not saying much.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* Built off the back of Parcells’ roster

He’s better than Gase, Al Groh, and possibly Todd Bowles were as HCs.  But that’s not saying much.  

It is a subjective exercise. Personally, I would put him ahead of Ryan, also. It is close. Also Mangini. Again, close.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Sadly, like really sadly, he or Mangini were the best coaches we've had since Parcells, so like 25 years. 

Rex was way better than Herm. Back 2 back AFC Championships. 1 win away from the Super Bowl.

And, Herm was the HC when Mo Lewis knocked Bledsoe out and that started Bradys career. Bledsoe just signed a blockbuster new contract and there was no way that he was getting benched. So, essentially, Herm is responsible for the Patriots first Super Bowl trophy.