45 Years Ago Today...The King is Dead, Long Live The King

Was one of those times in life where you know exactly where you were when you learned of the news. My first was sitting in Mrs. Larsen's 3rd grade classroom when Mrs. Bobbi Sachsel who worked in the school office came over the classroom intercom to tell our teacher that President Kennedy had been assassinated. Old Mrs. Larsen dropped the chalk and went RUNNING down the hall. The next day too, that Saturday morning I watched Lee Harvey Oswald get killed by Jack Ruby who me and my best friend Steve thought was an American hero at the time

The Beatles 1st time on The Ed Sullivan Show I can still see my 8 years old self sitting crosslegged on the floor in our Living Room and realizing right then what I wanted to be in my life: John Lennon That was 79 days after JFK.

Neil Armstrong's "One small step for man..." I was at my friend Ray's house watching it on a full moon summer night in 1969. I remember walking home and looking up at that big moon and I swear I thought I could see the Lunar Module from Locust Avenue.

The day Nixon resigned from office in 74

John Lennon's murder is another one of those days that you remember everything you did including the Indian summer day that turned into a rainy night and the next day winter had arrived and every leaf on the trees we blown off by the next afternoon and it got cold.

What happened 45 years ago today was the Day that Elvis died. I remember the exact place I was in at Madi Mart on South Ave when the radio station that they were playing in the store came on with the news.

August 16th 5 years later in 1982 was also the day that my father died...40 years ago today.

It's strange ho the mind works and no matter how old we get, certain events and the days associated with them never seem to be forgotten

• Sympathy 1