Creedence Clearwater Revival

AFJF

CCR is fantastic but in reality it's pretty much the John Fogarty band the way NIN is Trent Reznor, or Megadeth is basically the Dave Mustaine band. All that said, I agree that he's extremely underrated. I could never stand guys like Bruce or Mellencamp and think JF smokes them both six ways to Sunday.  I know there's a million bands to consider but my top American bands ever would include something like them/him, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, and Metallica. JMO.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jet9 said:

CCR is fantastic but in reality it's pretty much the John Fogarty band the way NIN is Trent Reznor, or Megadeth is basically the Dave Mustaine band. All that said, I agree that he's extremely underrated. I could never stand guys like Bruce or Mellencamp and think JF smokes them both six ways to Sunday.  I know there's a million bands to consider but my top American bands ever would include something like them/him, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, and Metallica. JMO.  

How about The Grateful Dead?  Though The Eagles would probably win if judged by commercial success.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about The Grateful Dead?  Though The Eagles would probably win if judged by commercial success.

I hate jam bands but yeah, The Dead are different. Thier following alone is something special.

Yes, I'm an idiot for forgetting the Eagles. Think I took a different path to becoming a fan than most. Was a Joe Walsh fan first and then starting listening to the Eagles from that. Henley and Frey were some the most pretentious douchebags ever but I can't deny thier contributions. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I hate jam bands but yeah, The Dead are different. Thier following alone is something special.

Yes, I'm an idiot for forgetting the Eagles. Think I took a different path to becoming a fan than most. Was a Joe Walsh fan first and then starting listening to the Eagles from that. Henley and Frey were some the most pretentious douchebags ever but I can't deny thier contributions. 

I like Joe Walsh but don't like the Eagles ("I hate the F'in Eagles, man!")

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like Joe Walsh but don't like the Eagles ("I hate the F'in Eagles, man!")

'Life In The Fast Lane', which I think even Eagles haters can appreciate, was derived from a warmup riff* Walsh used to do. I definitely prefer Walsh Eagles over the early pseudo country Eagles. 

*Sweet Child o' Mine too.

6 hours ago, Drums said:

How on Earth are you just hearing CCR? One of the best American bands ever. Check out the Doors while you're at it.

It's not that I just heard them.  I'd heard of them.and heard a ton of their stuff.  Just never knew it was them.  As a 90s tock/metal teenager I ignored the vast majority of what was put out "before my time".  But put on "Simple Man" by Skynyrd (another band I largely ignored) the other day and Spotify followed it up with a ton on Southern Rock.  Every time a CCR came on I was like "oh damn, I love this song...didn't realize it was CCR".  

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Drums said:

How on Earth are you just hearing CCR? One of the best American bands ever. Check out the Doors while you're at it.

Tried the doors as a teenager.  Didn't care for them.  Would prefer Pink Floyd or Zeppelin from that era.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Tried the doors as a teenager.  Didn't care for them.  Would prefer Pink Floyd or Zeppelin from that era.

We're probably around the same age. In the 90s there was a Doors 'flare up', if you will. I don't think they're that bad. Some good tunes. Some look at my poetry stuff. But as for 'deep thinking' dead 27 year olds go I thought Kurt was better. JMO. 

And yes, Zep and Floyd are on another level from The Doors. Zep is probably my favorite overall, desert island type band. But Gilmour is my favorite rock guitar tone maybe ever. Big fan of his vocals too. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Haha I was just kidding because you never heard of CCR. Personally, I like all of them but for me it's Zeppelin, the Doors, then Pink Floyd.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's not that I just heard them.  I'd heard of them.and heard a ton of their stuff.  Just never knew it was them.  As a 90s tock/metal teenager I ignored the vast majority of what was put out "before my time".  But put on "Simple Man" by Skynyrd (another band I largely ignored) the other day and Spotify followed it up with a ton on Southern Rock.  Every time a CCR came on I was like "oh damn, I love this song...didn't realize it was CCR".  

Yeah I am younger and it took me a while to give those bands a shot too. It wasn't until high school that I started getting into them. Right around the time my dad and my uncle gave me a giant box of records and a record player. It was right before the vinyl revival that recently happened.

7 hours ago, Jet9 said:

We're probably around the same age. In the 90s there was a Doors 'flare up', if you will. I don't think they're that bad. Some good tunes. Some look at my poetry stuff. But as for 'deep thinking' dead 27 year olds go I thought Kurt was better. JMO. 

And yes, Zep and Floyd are on another level from The Doors. Zep is probably my favorite overall, desert island type band. But Gilmour is my favorite rock guitar tone maybe ever. Big fan of his vocals too. 

I love Pink Floyd. Never got to see them together, but I've seen Gilmour and Waters individually. Very different concerts. 

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's funny, I like genuinely despise the song "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird" is so played out, I kind of always ignored Skynrd as well but I was recently going through their library after watching a great Documentary on them and those dudes wrote a ton of ridiculously great songs in short period of time. 

That said,  I dont think either band is underrated in most eyes, Fogerty has won grammys and stuff.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, JiFapono said:

It's funny, I like genuinely despise the song "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird" is so played out, I kind of always ignored Skynrd as well but I was recently going through their library after watching a great Documentary on them and those dudes wrote a ton of ridiculously great songs in short period of time. 

That said,  I dont think either band is underrated in most eyes, Fogerty has won grammys and stuff.

The best Skynyrd is the stuff that gets zero airplay. Curtis Lowe, All I Can Do, The Needle and the Spoon.

CCR is the first band I spent my very own money on, Chronicle (their greatest hits) bought it on cassette tape. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

The best Skynyrd is the stuff that gets zero airplay. Curtis Lowe, All I Can Do, The Needle and the Spoon.

CCR is the first band I spent my very own money on, Chronicle (their greatest hits) bought it on cassette tape. 

It's stuff like this that makes me come back to this thread.  I'll check those all out.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Best American rock and roll bands conversation and no mention of:

The Allman Brothers

The Black Crowes

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Velvet Underground

Soundgarden

The Ramones

The Beach Boys

The Doors

You guys are disqualified. 

On 8/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, Drums said:

I think you could argue THEE best American band ever.

The amount of good music they churned out in basically 4-5 years is crazy.  They are way before my time, but grew up listening to them in my basement with my Dad.  One of my top 3 favorite bands.  

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think you could argue THEE best American band ever.

The amount of good music they churned out in basically 4-5 years is crazy.  They are way before my time, but grew up listening to them in my basement with my Dad.  One of my top 3 favorite bands.  

I couldn't accept that argument.  There are many bands worthy of "best ever".  But in terms of definitive albums, volume of hits, and impact on other artists (most notably The Beatles), I don't think anyone touches The Beach Boys.  Brain Wilson's influence on songwriting and studio techniques is massive.

• Upvote 1

What's cool is that they just released a newly discovered complete show with all the original band member from The Royal Albert Hall, it in the new documentary narrated by (who else?) Jeff Bridges. It's called Travelin' Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall.I think they are streaming it on Netflix, check it out. Allman Brothers probably had to be considered THE best American Band. I went to school with guys who used go to those Filmore east shows and they'd be talking about them in the lockeroom. Man to have seen some of those great shows with Duane and Berry Oakley.