Creedence Clearwater Revival

AFJF

23 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

All Canadians except Levon Helm

Got to meet Levon a couple years before he passed up at his barn for a Ramble. An absolutely sweet man. I was awestruck, as he's an idol of mine. He just exuded the chillest, kindest vibe I have ever experienced.

Couple years later I also met Donald Fagan there (who is actually Levon's daughter Amy's stepfather). Talk about a 180 on vibe.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Got to meet Levon a couple years before he passed up at his barn for a Ramble. An absolutely sweet man. I was awestruck, as he's an idol of mine. He just exuded the chillest, kindest vibe I have ever experienced.

Couple years later I also met Donald Fagan there (who is actually Levon's daughter Amy's stepfather). Talk about a 180 on vibe.

It's amazing how sometimes in our lives, we are lucky enough to 1: meet our idols and then 2: that they should turn out to be the type of hero who blows the whole "Never meet your heroes" thing right out the window. Same thing happened to me when I met Bruce, he turned out to be the most gracious human being I have ever had the privilege to meet.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2022 at 9:37 AM, munchmemory said:

You young CCR fans might enjoy some music from the late, great Gene Clark.  Clark wrote most of the notable songs by The Byrds.  He's one of America's premier songwriters from that era.

Haha. Awesome. On of those heard  that song during my life  but never knew who it was. Thanks, 

• Sympathy 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, Jethead said:

The Band. #2 all-time by a wide margin!

My favorite song of theirs is The Weight 

Their cover of Springsteen’s “Atlantic City” is one of my absolute go to jams when I feel like rolling the windows down, turning the radio loud and singing like a crazy person.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Haha. Awesome. On of those heard  that song during my life  but never knew who it was. Thanks, 

Glad to be of service.   I can't communicate fully how much I appreciate Clark as a songwriter.   Check this one from an album of his demos.  Just so hauntingly beautiful.   I doubt he was influenced by Bobby Zimmerman.  lol  Let me know if the tune brightened your Sunday morning.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, JiFapono said:

And ironically, I was just watching that time Prince let the NFL play the Super Bowl at one of his shows, he covered "Proud Mary" at one point during that medley of covers he did.

Well, I think  CCR covered Ike and Tina doing it.

Nope.  CCR wrote it.   I'm an idiot. 

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2022 at 10:19 AM, AFJF said:

Grossly underrated.

Didn't know until a few weeks ago that I love about a dozen of their songs.

Feel as though I've been missing out and have some catching up to do.

Thanks, Spotify!

Any other fans?

Looks like Netflix just dropped a special on them, looks pretty dang good, definitely on my list of docs to watch.

• Upvote 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, SoFlaJets said:

What's cool is that they just released a newly discovered complete show with all the original band member from The Royal Albert Hall, it in the new documentary narrated by (who else?) Jeff Bridges. It's called Travelin' Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall.I think they are streaming it on Netflix, check it out. Allman Brothers probably had to be considered THE best American Band. I went to school with guys who used go to those Filmore east shows and they'd be talking about them in the lockeroom. Man to have seen some of those great shows with Duane and Berry Oakley.

I just watched it a few nights after coming across it there, too.

Short show, even with the fairly long, crowd-calming down time between songs. Still crazy he didn’t lose his voice after opening with Fortunate Son. Insane set of pipes. Saw some other televised concert of his decade later and, while he’d traded in his bowl cut for something requiring a barber, he didn’t sound a day older.

What a gift, even if he hasn’t written any of them himself.

You have to get “chronicles,” their greatest hits album.  It is outstanding.  
in my opinion, the best 2 American bands were The Allman Brothers Band and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.”  For a few years, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young were also great.