The State of Zach and The Jets

More Cowbell

Today Zach will be scoped and I personally think there is no way he plays before week 4. I know they said 2 to 4 week recovery but that really sounds overly optimistic.  He probably  misses the first month or close to it. That said, Zach is missing important reps and is going to start against real NFL defenses off the bat. I think there will be a period where Zach struggles  to acclimate, so how long can this period go on, and if it goes on for say 8 games and the Jets are looking at another high pick, are we spending it on Young or Stoud? This would be historic for a franchise to pick in the top 3 three times on QB's 2 or 3 years apart for each, but can we stick with Zach if he doesn't  show up? If he wasn't  injured, I wouldn't  be thinking of  this but I think the lack of preparation  is really going to effect him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • Like 1

2-4 weeks for a meniscus seems perfectly reasonable.  I can remember players missing 3 weeks with the scoping.  Depends on how and what kind of damage they find though.   

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

If Zach remains a question mark at the end of this year, you absolutely have to be in the market for a QB.

Either a high pick or a meaningful acquisition - can’t drag this out any further.

Or both and stick to it for once.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

2-4 weeks for a meniscus seems perfectly reasonable.  I can remember players missing 3 weeks with the scoping.  Depends on how and what kind of damage they find though.   

Those scopes were probably to remove bone fragments. This is a tear. It has to heal. Also there was someone on this forum that knew a coworker who was injured for months with the same injury. 

You let the year play out and see what happens.

I heard Kim jones say that when Zach came back last year after his knee issues that it took awhile for him to get his confidence back. So much so that is one of the main reason they brought his buddy QB coach (can't remember his name right now) to let him know all is okay. 

Hopefully he comes back guns ablazing but I am not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Those scopes were probably to remove bone fragments. This is a tear. It has to heal. Also there was someone on this forum that knew a coworker who was injured for months with the same injury. 

With a scope, they will typically just remove the small pieces of meniscus that are torn.

2-4 weeks is very common for recovery.   An old friend of mine had her knee scoped and was doing high level Gymnastics 2 weeks later.

• Upvote 2

Those scopes were probably to remove bone fragments. This is a tear. It has to heal. Also there was someone on this forum that     “knew a coworker who was injured for months with the same injury. “

I once knew this guy who knew this other guy who had it on good authority that another guy heard from the owner that he trusted another guy with some important news about this guy’s situation…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Agreed. See my post from the other day.

My son had the same injury- meniscus tear- only with a fracture- not a bruise two weeks ago, surgery last week and is only planning on missing his opener. 

I will continue to keep everyone posted on whether my son ( a Senior in High School) is tougher than our QB-1 😉

• Upvote 3

Today Zach will be scoped and I personally think there is no way he plays before week 4. I know they said 2 to 4 week recovery but that really sounds overly optimistic.  He probably  misses the first month or close to it. That said, Zach is missing important reps and is going to start against real NFL defenses off the bat. I think there will be a period where Zach struggles  to acclimate, so how long can this period go on, and if it goes on for say 8 games and the Jets are looking at another high pick, are we spending it on Young or Stoud? This would be historic for a franchise to pick in the top 3 three times on QB's 2 or 3 years apart for each, but can we stick with Zach if he doesn't  show up? If he wasn't  injured, I wouldn't  be thinking of  this but I think the lack of preparation  is really going to effect him. 

Why do people need to continously make threads that at it's core assume Zach will suck. We get it. You hate Zach and just want him replaced now. Posting variations of the same crap over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF THIS FORUM

• Post of the Week 3
  • Haha 1

Even if he can only play the second half of the year - you'll have enough time to make a decision.

You'd have seen an offense w/ Flacco for half the year vs. an offense w/ ZW. Sorry if ZW can't outperform Flacco at this point you need to move on/have a back up plan.

If the Jets are winning games you can look for a Baker/Jimmy G - or there will prob be some disgruntled vet who'll try and push for a trade (Tannehill?). 

If the team is losing and ZW is at or below Flacco level of play - then everyone is losing their job anyway. If thats the case it'll be a new GM and new HC and I can almost assure you based on the expectation that this is supposed to be a good QB class they'll want to pick their guy. I think JD and Saleh can get by with Zach being a hit or the overall team being a hit. If both miss they're out and a new regime will get their guy as we'll likely be picking in the top 5 again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do people need to continously make threads that at it's core assume Zach will suck. We get it. You hate Zach and just want him replaced now. Posting variations of the same crap over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF THIS FORUM

They think they are funny... And they like the click reps they get from the same posters over and over that love to trash this team

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Thanks for the insight.  What have you seen from Zach that makes you think he isn't  bad? To tell the truth, yes, I think Zach has shown nothing but I hope he somehow gets his act together so we can get off the QB carousel.  I really don't  expect it but who knows. The thing is, if Zach plays like he did last season, are you going to further invest with two very good prospects coming out this year? Do you want to be the Giants stuck with Jones and passing on Herbert. 

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Tell you what. Make a case for keeping Zach if he plays poorly again. 

9 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

They think they are funny... And they like the click reps they get from the same posters over and over that love to trash this team

Click reps? With are click reps? You mean up and down votes? Who cares about them. They are lazy responses

Well if someone on the board knew a co-worker who had this injury then clearly we should take that as gospel. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

How about this, why could this OP be in placed in the Zach hurt his knee thread.  With all the other he’ll miss a lot more time posts.  Why did it need to have its own thread, a thread where he’s saying he’ll miss a month or more.  Why?  Because that’s what he thinks, nothing more.  

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How about this, why could this OP be in placed in the Zach hurt his knee thread.  With all the other he’ll miss a lot more time posts.  Why did it need to have its own thread, a thread where he’s saying he’ll miss a month or more.  Why?  Because that’s what he thinks, nothing more.  

Tim Robinson Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This should all be in the practice thread, I mean official game thread… Nothing more pleasing then to read 972 pages worth of posts to catch up

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Want to bet again?

Remember when we did this with Becton last year?

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Want to bet again?

Just keep reminding yourself how dumb it would be to bet that an approximation on a procedure that by definition can change once they enter the joint

You’re betting that your negative SOJF sense is right based on absolutely nothing.  And are willing to bet on it.   
And when did I ever place an actual bet on recovery time of anyone?  His surgeon wouldn’t place that bet.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Want to bet again?

Becton had a problem with his weight (and possibly his work ethic, in general). I'm not convinced that what happened with Becton last year was a misdiagnosis. Meanwhile, I've never heard anything bad about Wilson's work ethic or commitment to his craft. 

We'll know for sure after the results of the scope become public what the diagnosis of Zach's knee actually is. The 2-4 week timeline is just a best guess based on what they think the injury is and comparing that to similar injuries in the past. The procedure today will be definitive. 

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

If Zach remains a question mark at the end of this year, you absolutely have to be in the market for a QB.

Either a high pick or a meaningful acquisition - can’t drag this out any further.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think part of the problem is the high pick/meaningful acquisition.  IMO it is not that important that we go into the season knowing who we will start at t QB.  We have to go into the season with a reasonable expectation that we will have a viable starting QB.  I prefer the 2012 Seahawks approach.  Sign one, draft one and see where it falls.  The Seahawks signed Flynn who did not work out and drafted Wilson in the 3rd who was a huge steal. 

I feel like the last time the Jets did this was in 2006 when Pennington was coming off (another) injury and they drafted Clemens and traded for Ramsey.  I think that worked out fairly well.  I guess you could say that 2015 was a similar approach - had Geno, draft Petty, sign Fitzpatrick.  I just think that having a guy who starts because he deserves to, rather than his draft position is a positive, not a negative.  I get that a 3-way competition is too ungainly and you can't drag it out, but it seems pretty obvious that Darnold and Wilson have been getting starts based on a desire to anoint the one true king and not on merit.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Just keep reminding yourself how dumb it would be to bet that an approximation on a procedure that by definition can change once they enter the joint

You’re betting that your negative SOJF sense is right based on absolutely nothing.  And are willing to bet on it.   
And when did I ever place an actual bet on recovery time of anyone?  His surgeon wouldn’t place that bet.

You specifically were one of the guys who chastised me every time since October I said Becton would not take another snap.