The State of Zach and The Jets

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Those scopes were probably to remove bone fragments. This is a tear. It has to heal. Also there was someone on this forum that knew a coworker who was injured for months with the same injury. 

It's all conjecture at this point - we will know very soon. I've had a small meniscus tear that kept me out 4 weeks and I was older and without the resources of the Jets.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I think part of the problem is the high pick/meaningful acquisition.  IMO it is not that important that we go into the season knowing who we will start at t QB.  We have to go into the season with a reasonable expectation that we will have a viable starting QB.  I prefer the 2012 Seahawks approach.  Sign one, draft one and see where it falls.  The Seahawks signed Flynn who did not work out and drafted Wilson in the 3rd who was a huge steal. 

I feel like the last time the Jets did this was in 2006 when Pennington was coming off (another) injury and they drafted Clemens and traded for Ramsey.  I think that worked out fairly well.  I guess you could say that 2015 was a similar approach - had Geno, draft Petty, sign Fitzpatrick.  I just think that having a guy who starts because he deserves to, rather than his draft position is a positive, not a negative.  I get that a 3-way competition is too ungainly and you can't drag it out, but it seems pretty obvious that Darnold and Wilson have been getting starts based on a desire to anoint the one true king and not on merit.

If Wilson looks like a failure at the end of this season, I don't think you can let the same regime draft and develop another one and expect it to work out this time. If you are going to draft another QB, you have to bring in a new regime IMO. If you keep this regime I think you go out and get a Garapolo or Trubiski and hope to build a stud team around them and be a playoff team.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

You specifically were one of the guys who chastised me every time since October I said Becton would not take another snap. 

Who cares what anyone said after it was apparent he wasn’t going to back in 6 weeks, in Oct.  Yeah I though the 6-8 week timeframe given in September was reasonable.  You make it sound like your prediction was based on facts.   The bet was? 

25 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

If Wilson looks like a failure at the end of this season, I don't think you can let the same regime draft and develop another one and expect it to work out this time. If you are going to draft another QB, you have to bring in a new regime IMO. If you keep this regime I think you go out and get a Garapolo or Trubiski and hope to build a stud team around them and be a playoff team.

I don't agree at all.  Wilson was a complete project coming out.  He was drafted based on his release and upside.  This is not a sure thing that was ruined.  My feeling is basically that I hate this whole culture of draft a QB high, tie yourself to him and then start over if he fails.  There are many ways to win - draft your QB high (Bengals, Chiefs), trade for someone and mortgage the future (Rams), get lucky late (Patriots, Seahawks), pay a ton for a high dollar aging free agent (Bucs, Broncos), draft one high and get lucky with a sh*tty free agent (Eagles).  I want to go after QBs, plural, and let the best one win, not wait until I have someone to ride.  A sh*tty draft pick is just as likely to ride that stud team to success as Trubisky or Garoppolo.  See Mark Sanchez.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't agree at all.  Wilson was a complete project coming out.  He was drafted based on his release and upside.  This is not a sure thing that was ruined.  My feeling is basically that I hate this whole culture of draft a QB high, tie yourself to him and then start over if he fails.  There are many ways to win - draft your QB high (Bengals, Chiefs), trade for someone and mortgage the future (Rams), get lucky late (Patriots, Seahawks), pay a ton for a high dollar aging free agent (Bucs, Broncos), draft one high and get lucky with a sh*tty free agent (Eagles).  I want to go after QBs, plural, and let the best one win, not wait until I have someone to ride.  A sh*tty draft pick is just as likely to ride that stud team to success as Trubisky or Garoppolo.  See Mark Sanchez.

There are very, very few things coming out these days in the draft which is made worse by the fact that college offenses are so different than NFL offenses. I don't want to let the same guys who selected and developed a failure to select and develop another guy. What makes me think they will get it right next time around? IMO if you are drafting a QB high, get someone in the building who knows what the F they are doing with a QB, we don't have that, and havent had that

8 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

There are very, very few things coming out these days in the draft which is made worse by the fact that college offenses are so different than NFL offenses. I don't want to let the same guys who selected and developed a failure to select and develop another guy. What makes me think they will get it right next time around? IMO if you are drafting a QB high, get someone in the building who knows what the F they are doing with a QB, we don't have that, and havent had that

I get your point.  I don't agree, but it is understandable.  You are looking at it as these guys messed up Wilson, how can we expect them to do better next time.  I am looking at it as Wilson was a prospect with a ton of questions coming out.  I am not surprised he is not burning up the league.  Also, my stated preference is not to trade up and put all my eggs in handing them another super prospect.  I just want to look for a competent QB under every rock.  Give them some choices and use the best one.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I get your point.  I don't agree, but it is understandable.  You are looking at it as these guys messed up Wilson, how can we expect them to do better next time.  I am looking at it as Wilson was a prospect with a ton of questions coming out.  I am not surprised he is not burning up the league.  Also, my stated preference is not to trade up and put all my eggs in handing them another super prospect.  I just want to look for a competent QB under every rock.  Give them some choices and use the best one.

To be clear, I don't want to differentiate between messing him up, or selecting badly. I can't say I think he was going to be good and they messed him up, or if they selected badly, to me, they are lumped together, and regardless of which one, I don't want to give the same group that chance again. And to be really clear, I am hopeful that Wilson can step up this year and the lightbulb goes off and he is the guy and we can look back at this convo and chuckle