Mike White gives Jets something most teams don’t have after Zach Wilson injury

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Mike White stuff is outrageous.

The guy had one good game in which he never attempted a pass beyond 15 yards. He was also banged up in all 3 games that he started.

The Jets only tendered him at the original round level and still not a single team wanted to part with a 5th round pick or less to obtain him.

Flacco is the starter until Wilson is back in the fold, period.

I think the likelihood of White being the answer is miniscule. In his three starts so far, he has had one magical game and one terrible game while consistently throwing a bunch of picks and getting hurt in each start. 

Having said that, I'd still much rather watch him play than Flacco. 

Flacco is 37 and has zero chance of being the long term answer here. Playing him is a waste of time. The Ravens will probably smash us anyway - why not play the guy who is 27 and only has 3 career starts? 

The league makes this mistake a lot though - Rewarding players for things they did a decade ago and always opting for the "savvy" vet (the safe choice) instead of being bold and giving a younger, unproven guy a legit shot. Flacco is here because JD likes him from his time in Baltimore. It's basically Nepotism, IMO. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The guy had one good game in which he never attempted a pass beyond 15 yards. He was also banged up in all 3 games that he started.

The Jets only tendered him at the original round level and still not a single team wanted to part with a 5th round pick or less to obtain him.

This is hilarious.

How many teams wanted Joe Flacco in the offseason?  I guess we ought to feel fortunate the Jets won that bidding war.

Mike White is 1-1 as a Jets starter.  Threw for 400 and 3 TDs in comeback win.  His loss was vs the Buffalo Bills.  The Indy game doesn't really count since he got knocked out early.

Joe Flacco is 0-5 as a Jets starter, averaging 170 yards passing per game.

He throws a prettier deep ball than Mike White and won a Super Bowl 10 years ago.  How does this suddenly make him Batman for this Jets squad?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is hilarious.

How many teams wanted Joe Flacco in the offseason?  I guess we ought to feel fortunate the Jets won that bidding war.

Mike White is 1-1 as a Jets starter.  Threw for 400 and 3 TDs in comeback win.  His loss was vs the Buffalo Bills.  The Indy game doesn't really count since he got knocked out early.

Joe Flacco is 0-5 as a Jets starter, averaging 170 yards passing per game.

He throws a prettier deep ball than Mike White and won a Super Bowl 10 years ago.  How does this suddenly make him Batman for this Jets squad?

All I know is that no one wanted Mike White despite being 10 years younger than Flacco and having that “historic” game against Cincinnati.

The dude was strictly practice squad fodder until last season when the Jets chose not to bring in a veteran backup to Wilson until he sprained his knee.

He’s clearly very physically limited and gets injured if you so much as sneeze on him.

Jets fans are so desperate for a QB that they’ll immediately worship anyone who shows signs of a pulse.

There’s a contingency of this fanbase that wants Chris Streveler for f*ck’s sake. All because he had a nice outing against dudes who will be selling insurance in two weeks. As if 90% of the teams in the league don’t have a fringe QB who accomplished the same feat last week.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agree 100%. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah, Mike White has a jersey in the HOF.

Awesome…

You’d think that would be enough for some QB needy team to trade a late round pick for him and his dirt cheap salary, but alas, it wasn’t.

Why is that, exactly?

How many 27 year old HOF QBs get traded?

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the likelihood of White being the answer is miniscule. In his three starts so far, he has had one magical game and one terrible game while consistently throwing a bunch of picks and getting hurt in each start. 

Having said that, I'd still much rather watch him play than Flacco. 

Flacco is 37 and has zero chance of being the long term answer here. Playing him is a waste of time. The Ravens will probably smash us anyway - why not play the guy who is 27 and only has 3 career starts? 

The league makes this mistake a lot though - Rewarding players for things they did a decade ago and always opting for the "savvy" vet (the safe choice) instead of being bold and giving a younger, unproven guy a legit shot. Flacco is here because JD likes him from his time in Baltimore. It's basically Nepotism, IMO. 

I would much rather see what Strevelar has than White.  He looked great in a half of football - and is coming off a championship professional football season.

Mike White has been in the league 5 years - multiple teams, multiple coaching staffs - countless practices and hasn't been able to pass #3 on the depth chart.  

I'll take 1/2 of a pre-season game and a CFL championship any day over 5 years of 3rd string practices, one good game and one all-time awful game.

It's a no brainer Strevelear over White.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2

40 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Name the other Jets QB's in history to have a 400+ yard game.  I won't have to wait very long for that list.

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name the other Jets QB's in history to have a 400+ yard game.  I won't have to wait very long for that list.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Yes, Michael Carter and Ty Johnson did a wonderful job taking those constant 3-5 yard dump offs from White and turning them upfield for big gains.

No argument there

And then when Buffalo made it abundantly clear that they were having none of that, he sh*t his pants, had no clue what to do, and turned in one of the worst QB performances I’ve ever seen before getting hurt for the 3rd time in as many weeks.

• Upvote 3

The MW hate has gotten to the point where it wasn't enough that he delivered a W over the Bengals.

But fans are actually criticizing the manner in which the Jets won the game.

As if uncorking a 40-yard bomb down the sideline at some point during the proceedings would have somehow validated his performance.

Tom Brady has made a living off throwing short to intermediate passes between the numbers his entire career.  Julian Edelman, Welker, Amendola, Gronk, etc.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The MW hate has gotten to the point where it wasn't enough that he delivered a W over the Bengals.

But fans are actually criticizing the manner in which the Jets won the game.

As if uncorking a 40-yard bomb down the sideline at some point during the proceedings would have somehow validated his performance.

Tom Brady has made a living off throwing short to intermediate passes between the numbers his entire career.  Julian Edelman, Welker, Amendola, Gronk, etc.

If everyone is going to pump up White’s 400 yard game, then yes, context matters.

14 of his completions were to Carter and Johnson out of the backfield. He didn’t throw a single ball that sailed more than 15 yards in the air.

It’s not like the guy was slinging the ball all over the place, making eye popping completions on deep outs or throws outside the hashmarks.

It was the very definition of a “dink and dunk” performance. The kind of sh*t that Jets fans killed Chad Pennington for and couldn’t wait to kick him to the curb.

Yes, Tom Brady and Montana are/were masters at getting the ball out quickly and picking teams apart in the short/intermediate game…and they are/were also pinpoint accurate on the deep ball. Something that just simply isn’t part of Mike White’s extremely limited repertoire.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If everyone is going to pump up White’s 400 yard game, then yes, context matters.

14 of his completions were to Carter and Johnson out of the backfield. He didn’t throw a single ball that sailed more than 15 yards in the air.

It’s not like the guy was slinging the ball all over the place, making eye popping completions on deep outs or throws outside the hashmarks.

It was the very definition of a “dink and dunk” performance. The kind of sh*t that Jets fans killed Chad Pennington for and couldn’t wait to kick him to the curb.

Yes, Tom Brady and Montana are/were masters at getting the ball out quickly and picking teams apart in the short/intermediate game…and they are/were also pinpoint accurate on the deep ball. Something that just simply isn’t part of Mike White’s extremely limited repertoire.

Yay!  Context!  Now explain why Wilson didn't throw short to Moore and Carter and have them get all that YAC.  Can you do that for us? 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Did anyone even read the Mike White article? It said Jets are lucky in that their 3rd string QB is not some totally unknown depth chart arm, like the 31 other teams.

Jets are the ONLY nfl team with a 3rd string QB who threw for over 400 yards in a single game. 95% of 3rd string QBs have never taken a single NFL snap and are total unknowns to the coaching staff. In that regard, Jets are lucky. That was it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I bring up the 400 yards because it's a relatively rare feat and because there are fans telling us MW is absolute sh-t on a pretty regular basis.

If it were that easy to throw for 400 yards 3 TDs AND win the game, why doesn't every team do it?

Teams were sitting back in 2-deep vs the Chiefs for most of the year, conceding all the underneath stuff, and it frustrated Mahomes and Reid to some extent.  Tyreek Hill had I think the lowest ADOT of his career.  Mahomes wasn't throwing for 400 every week.

The WCO is so popular around the league, which is predicated on short passes in space for YAC.

QBs don't throw for 400 very often.  You have to at least give MW some credit.  I mean come on.

It's actually harder to throw for 400 when you don't have any deep shots (big air yards) sprinkled in.

• Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yay!  Context!  Now explain why Wilson didn't throw short to Moore and Carter and have them get all that YAC.  Can you do that for us? 

It’s not the kind of player he is, for better or worse.

And I’m glad. Because we’d be a bunch of dildos to take a physically limited gamemanager always looking for the checkdown at #2 overall.

If we wanted something along those lines, then we should’ve moved down and taken Mac Jones.

24 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I bring up the 400 yards because it's a relatively rare feat and because there are fans telling us MW is absolute sh-t on a pretty regular basis.

If it were that easy to throw for 400 yards 3 TDs AND win the game, why doesn't every team do it?

Teams were sitting back in 2-deep vs the Chiefs for most of the year, conceding all the underneath stuff, and it frustrated Mahomes and Reid to some extent.  Tyreek Hill had I think the lowest ADOT of his career.  Mahomes wasn't throwing for 400 every week.

The WCO is so popular around the league, which is predicated on short passes in space for YAC.

QBs don't throw for 400 very often.  You have to at least give MW some credit.  I mean come on.

It's actually harder to throw for 400 when you don't have any deep shots (big air yards) sprinkled in.

I’m not absolving Mike White of all credit.

He took what the defense gave him and now has his jersey sitting in the HOF because of it.

Props to him

Problem is, that’s literally the only game that Mike White is capable of playing.

Stack the box and take away those short checkdowns and bubble screens, as the Bills did, and he’s going to completely fold and sh*t his britches.

This is why I see no future for him as a starter. It’s very possible that Wilson is sh*t as well and our franchise savior is nowhere to be found on the roster at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s not the kind of player he is, for better or worse.

And I’m glad. Because we’d be a bunch of dildos to take a physically limited gamemanager always looking for the checkdown at #2 overall.

If we wanted something along those lines, then we should’ve moved down and taken Mac Jones.

So, he's not the kind of player that can throw for 400 yards?  

I am tired of fighting this physically limited sh*t with White.  Yes Wilson is better, no, White is not Charlie Checkdown and fact, coming out, he was considered a deep ball guy.  His limitations have more to do with being a statue than anything about throwing deep.  Wilson had little success last year.  Being glad he did not check down seems like a strange "positive."  This is especially true since he seemed to play a kind of scared passive game after he returned from the injury.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, he's not the kind of player that can throw for 400 yards?  

I am tired of fighting this physically limited sh*t with White.  Yes Wilson is better, no, White is not Charlie Checkdown and fact, coming out, he was considered a deep ball guy.  His limitations have more to do with being a statue than anything about throwing deep.  Wilson had little success last year.  Being glad he did not check down seems like a strange "positive."  This is especially true since he seemed to play a kind of scared passive game after he returned from the injury.

It's funny because Saleh heaped praise on Flacco for helping teach Zach.  But it was Mike White who truly showed Zach how to win with the talent (or lack thereof) that we had last year.   When Zach came back he started playing a more cautious game and took what the defense was giving him.  Mike White showed him the way.

• Upvote 1