Jump to content

Mike White gives Jets something most teams don’t have after Zach Wilson injury


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson has been in the NFL less than a full season and almost all of his WRs were out.  MW had all his WRs.  
How does Wilson struggling against the Bills change the idea that White only had one good game on his resume?

Wager on whether he is a QB or serving drinks at TGIF in 2027?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson has been in the NFL less than a full season and almost all of his WRs were out.  MW had all his WRs.  
How does Wilson struggling against the Bills change the idea that White only had one good game on his resume?

How does White struggling against the Bills change the idea that Wilson only had 2 decent games on his 13 game resume (as opposed to White’s 3-1/2 game resume)?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

instead of being bold and giving a younger, unproven guy a legit shot.

The Jets have done this and failed like 30 billion times

Having said that, you do make a good point. White definitely has more potential and is probably the better pick at starting in a game they will probably lose.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

All I know is that no one wanted Mike White despite being 10 years younger than Flacco and having that “historic” game against Cincinnati.

The dude was strictly practice squad fodder until last season when the Jets chose not to bring in a veteran backup to Wilson until he sprained his knee.

He’s clearly very physically limited and gets injured if you so much as sneeze on him.

Jets fans are so desperate for a QB that they’ll immediately worship anyone who shows signs of a pulse.

There’s a contingency of this fanbase that wants Chris Streveler for f*ck’s sake. All because he had a nice outing against dudes who will be selling insurance in two weeks. As if 90% of the teams in the league don’t have a fringe QB who accomplished the same feat last week.

Draft position be damned.  Zach is the 4th best QB on this squad.  It's amazing to me how some can't see this.

Too bad he is hurt because I would like to see a true QB competition.  Whoever makes the Offense move is the starter.

The new CBA curbed the high salaries of highly drafted rookies, now it's just a pride thing for the FO.

No one knows how to admit mistakes and rectify them other than Arizona.

I want wins, not BS.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

How does White struggling against the Bills change the idea that Wilson only had 2 decent games on his 13 game resume (as opposed to White’s 3-1/2 game resume)?

Some try to say that those who clamor for Mike White are “Mike White truthers” who ignore sample size. No one is a Mike White Truther — they just want him to get a chance to increase his sample size. If he sucks, auf wiedersehen.

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Am I the only guy around here that thinks neither Zach nor White is the answer?

You are most probably correct. I would like both to have an increased sample size to narrow the likely possible outcomes. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Draft position be damned.  Zach is the 4th best QB on this squad.  It's amazing to me how some can't see this.

Too bad he is hurt because I would like to see a true QB competition.  Whoever makes the Offense move is the starter.

The new CBA curbed the high salaries of highly drafted rookies, now it's just a pride thing for the FO.

No one knows how to admit mistakes and rectify them other than Arizona.

I want wins, not BS.

While I agree, a 2nd overall pick is a steep price to pay so let’s see him this year and than make the call after. I won’t watch the Jets if he stinks in ‘22 and we roll him out in ‘23, however.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson has been in the NFL less than a full season and almost all of his WRs were out.  MW had all his WRs.  
How does Wilson struggling against the Bills change the idea that White only had one good game on his resume?

If I reversed this to apply the same principles to your boy, you wouldn’t like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jgb said:

There’s like a 99% chance he just sucks. But we are in it now, so put him in against all comers this year.

Or just man up, and realize he was a one year wonder in a subpar conference.  Just move on.  Don't keep feeding the slot machine thinking you will hit.

Zach is not our FQB.

image.thumb.png.b78e5936a09523186b4331d6334eff44.png

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Or just man up, and realize he was a one year wonder in a subpar conference.  Just move on.  Don't keep feeding the slot machine thinking you will hit.

Zach is not our FQB.

image.thumb.png.b78e5936a09523186b4331d6334eff44.png

Too late for that. Draft and FA period done.

PS: I wanted Trubisky and/or Minshew brought in as competition.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

How does White struggling against the Bills change the idea that Wilson only had 2 decent games on his 13 game resume (as opposed to White’s 3-1/2 game resume)?

It’s about Mike White, not Zach Wilson what’s the matter with you people.  Read the thread

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Most quarterbacks fail.  Dumb bet no matter the name

Follow up question: if you acknowledge that, why the rage when someone predicts a Jets QB will fail?

It’s like throwing a drink in someone’s face for splitting aces at the blackjack table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jgb said:

If I reversed this to apply the same principles to your boy, you wouldn’t like it.

One more time, what does what ZW is or isn’t have to do with what Mike White is?  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, what does what ZW is or isn’t have to do with what Mike White is?  
 

Because non-fools weigh the pros/cons of the available choices against each other before deciding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Follow up question: if you acknowledge that, why the rage when someone predicts a Jets QB will fail?

It’s like throwing a drink in someone’s face for splitting aces at the blackjack table.

Define rage?  My only argument, ever, has been we don’t know what he can become, that what he’s done up to now is too incomplete for some of the takes people have.  Or some specific piece of nonsense like he really doesn’t have arm strength.  
I just think most of the complaining comes from those who wanted a different.  But find me a single post where I argue that he is great 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because non-fools weigh the pros/cons of the available choices against each other before deciding?

Without taking into acct the team is trying to develop one while the other is just a placeholder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Draft position be damned.  Zach is the 4th best QB on this squad.  It's amazing to me how some can't see this.

Too bad he is hurt because I would like to see a true QB competition.  Whoever makes the Offense move is the starter.

The new CBA curbed the high salaries of highly drafted rookies, now it's just a pride thing for the FO.

No one knows how to admit mistakes and rectify them other than Arizona.

I want wins, not BS.

Flacco, yes. White, maybe. But Streveler? C'mon .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

All I know is that no one wanted Mike White despite being 10 years younger than Flacco and having that “historic” game against Cincinnati.

The dude was strictly practice squad fodder until last season when the Jets chose not to bring in a veteran backup to Wilson until he sprained his knee.

He’s clearly very physically limited and gets injured if you so much as sneeze on him.

Jets fans are so desperate for a QB that they’ll immediately worship anyone who shows signs of a pulse.

There’s a contingency of this fanbase that wants Chris Streveler for f*ck’s sake. All because he had a nice outing against dudes who will be selling insurance in two weeks. As if 90% of the teams in the league don’t have a fringe QB who accomplished the same feat last week.

 

Not sure about you but I am not buying insurance from a 23 year old camp body who may or may not have graduated from college 

 

 who will be selling insurance in two weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The MW hate has gotten to the point where it wasn't enough that he delivered a W over the Bengals.

But fans are actually criticizing the manner in which the Jets won the game.

As if uncorking a 40-yard bomb down the sideline at some point during the proceedings would have somehow validated his performance.

Tom Brady has made a living off throwing short to intermediate passes between the numbers his entire career.  Julian Edelman, Welker, Amendola, Gronk, etc.

Nobody hates Mike White, they are just confused that people still think he's good when not one team tried to get him for a late round pick this off-season and the jets still view him as a 3rd stringer. 

He is what he is, a very serviceable backup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Draft position be damned.  Zach is the 4th best QB on this squad.  It's amazing to me how some can't see 

Because it’s wrong?

Heres the really difficult part of the equation for some to understand.  He’s not a finished product.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you old enough to recognize that it was a completely different game in 1983?  I think you are.

For every Elway there are dozens and dozens of Ryan Leaf's, Sam Darnold's, Deshone Kizer's, Jimmy Clauen's, Josh Rosen's, JaMarcus Russell's, Andre Ware's, Akili Smith's, Matt Leinart's, Joey Harrington's, EJ Manuel's, Patrick Ramsey's, Brock Osweiler's, Browning Nagle's, Brandon Weeden's and Kyle Boller's.

Wilson CAN work through it, sure.  And @RutgersJetFan's argument that a QB's rookie year is largely a wash is indeed compelling.  But the odds are very, very much against Wilson becoming a success story.

Statistically rookie seasons are a wash. Qualitatively? Who knows. Hard to ignore he looks like sh*t more than he doesn’t. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because it’s wrong?

Heres the really difficult part of the equation for some to understand.  He’s not a finished product.  

We're not asking for a finished product.  We're asking for a ball of clay that isn't actually just a piece of dog sh*t.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

That’s not a good reason to not try again

Playing Flacco is pointless, unless you think we are sneaking into the playoffs with him. 

Well if the ZW timetable is correct the only point is for him to be the fill-in while Zach heals. He probably increases the chances of winning each game he's in compared to White, and he probably plays with better habits, which both things are very beneficial to Zach Wilson.

I would argue that playing White is pointless unless they are a) trying to develop their backup or b) want him to be the future starter, and I doubt the Jets coaching staff are considering either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not asking for a finished product.  We're asking for a ball of clay that isn't actually just a piece of dog sh*t.  

And like all the other QBs drafted, the majority drafted in the long history of the game you want to move on.  Makes sense, you guys just know he won’t 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

What's the time frame on that?  I want wins.

The entire team is being developed.  If haven’t figured this out yet i don’t know what to tell you

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The entire team is being developed.  If haven’t figured this out yet i don’t know what to tell you

How long does it take?  You do not always play for a mythical future.  I get not blowing things up and going balls out for a few wins like 2015, but give me a break.  They didn't sign Laken Tomlinson, Duane Brown, and Kwon Alexander because they are willing to put up with another 4 wins.  It literally takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster.  This is Douglas' 4th year with 3 full offseasons.  It is the coaching staffs 2nd season.  They have done their installs they have selected their draft picks and free agents.  They don't have to win the super bowl, but "developing" does not excuse a failure to compete in 2022.  They need to win.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Well if the ZW timetable is correct the only point is for him to be the fill-in while Zach heals. He probably increases the chances of winning each game he's in compared to White, and he probably plays with better habits, which both things are very beneficial to Zach Wilson.

I would argue that playing White is pointless unless they are a) trying to develop their backup or b) want him to be the future starter, and I doubt the Jets coaching staff are considering either.

Fair, given the timetable, it's not worth losing my sh*t over. It's Wilson's team this year and we'll be seeing him sometime within weeks 1 through 4. 

I will say, however, that while I doubt White could become the future starter here, because of his age (27) and still relatively unknown abilities (only 3 career starts), I still wish he was the full-time backup. Wilson is quickly developing that "injury prone" label and I would love to keep a little "long term hope" (even if it is quite small) as my backup plan if/when Wilson gets hurt again. 

IMO, it's a shame that White did not get to play in the first Miami game last year - He should have been given a chance to rebound from the Buffalo disaster. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How long does it take?  You do not always play for a mythical future.  I get not blowing things up and going balls out for a few wins like 2015, but give me a break.  They didn't sign Laken Tomlinson, Duane Brown, and Kwon Alexander because they are willing to put up with another 4 wins.  It literally takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster.  This is Douglas' 4th year with 3 full offseasons.  It is the coaching staffs 2nd season.  They have done their installs they have selected their draft picks and free agents.  They don't have to win the super bowl, but "developing" does not excuse a failure to compete in 2022.  They need to win.

This was just JDs third draft.  Only two of his drafts have played a single game.  They were one of if not the youngest teams in the league last season, they also have to develop.  He signed a couple of vets as stop gaps.  Duane Brown was signed out of desperation and need because Bectons kneecap exploded again.  Happens.  It will be his 4th season just like it will be the staffs 2nd.  I agree they have to show growth.  They have to start entertaining us.  I hate weekends when I know we’re going to lose too.  But comp;aiming that players, coaches have to go or suck after 1 year isn’t right or the way to move forward.  Macc left the team a mess, I can’t think of many teams that took it down to level we did after JDs 1st season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...