We need to consider trading some players

JohnnyLV

We seem to be in a rare situation where we have significant depth at a few positions and will be forced to release some potential starting caliber players to get to the 53 man roster. Some of those cuts are not likely to make it to the practice squad. 

I also don't think we should be afraid to trade some of our bigger names since they are likely not part of our long term plans anyway.

Here are some players I would consider trading:

1. Quinnen Williams. Q is a very good but not great player. He is in the last year of his contract before the 5th year option which we would definitely exercise. Most estimates of his extension are in the $18-$20 million range. That is a TON for a non-elite defensive lineman. Similar to the Leo situation, Q would have a lot of value right now. Teams would have 2 seasons and control of the third with the franchise tag. We would get at least a first and probably more for him. We would be slightly weaker on the DL but we are so deep there, and under Saleh he rotates the lineman so much that the performance impact would be small, but we get $10 million in cap relief plus $20 million additional next year. That's 3-5 good players we can sign along the lines of Whitehead Conklin Reed Uzomah that we signed this year.

2. Corey Davis Corey is again a good player but not great. It is seriously doubtful that he is part of our future plans. In my view he has been a mild disappointment so far with some injuries and several key drops. He was a solid #2 in Tenn and many FO personnel will attribute his performance drop to our QB situation (right or not). Again a team would be guaranteed 2 years so he is not a rental. I think we could get as high as #2 for him and I am more than OK with just putting Garret in his spot and rolling with Moore and Wilson as our outside guys which also makes it easier to keep some of the WR that have been flashing and open up a spot for someone like Cager who could be a very versatile player for the Jets

3. Rankins/Shepherd These are veteran guys but to be honest I would rather keep Tanzel and Marshall on the roster than these guys and we might be able to get a couple late round picks for them instead of releasing them or much worse, trying to sneak our young guys onto the PS and having them claimed.

4. Ashtyn Davis Decent player, again maybe just a late rounder, but IMO Parks and Riley are better and the only reason to keep Davis is because we drafted him.

5. Trevon Wesco With Cager and Yeboah and Bawden the cuts at TE/FB become absolutely brutal. Wesco is a solid player that can play inline, some full back and catch a little. I like the upside of the other guys better and we went from the worst TE room in the NFL to one of the best so we can't keep them all. We might be able to get Yeboah to the PS again, and Cager showed some ability to block so we may be able to get some draft capital for Wesco who could be a useful addition for several NFL teams.

6. Ty Johnson I think we might only keep 3 RBs this year and Zonovan flashed quite a bit in the preseason game. I think Perrine gets cut, and I like Hall/Carter/BAM better than Hall/Carter/Johnson. he won't be coveted but a team may slip us something for Ty as depth

I know a lot of you are going to immediately say we should trade Mims, but from the promise he showed in his first year to his effort, conditioning and flashes in TC I think it makes a lot of sense to give Mims another year. His combination of size and speed is not common at all. If we trade Davis it makes it a lot easier to give Mims the year. The Jets certainly may trade him but it is not my preference.

Interested in people's thoughts. Also lets not ruin the thread with arguments about trading Zach there are tons of other threads for that conversation.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Why’s everyone so hot to trade Davis? Dude looked legit with the worst QB in the NFL throwing to him. 

Zuniga/Huff.  At most we can keep one.  The other is probably worth something somewhere.

Possible that one of our last DB cuts could attract some interest.  We're talking Day 3 picks but hell, anything is better than nothing.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Zuniga/Huff.  At most we can keep one.  The other is probably worth something somewhere.

Possible that one of our last DB cuts could attract some interest.  We're talking Day 3 picks but hell, anything is better than nothing.

Ah I see, I don’t fall into the JAG off season love fest, tho.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ah I see, I don’t fall into the JAG off season love fest, tho.

Agreed, but there are a few teams out there for whom some of our last cuts would be an upgrade.  Same works both ways.  There may be a Safety or OT cut that we'll bring in to replace our bottom guy.  I could see 6th/7th round picks being used to get a jump on the wavier wire.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Agreed, but there are a few teams out there for whom some of our last cuts would be an upgrade.  Same works both ways.  There may be a Safety or OT cut that we'll bring in to replace our bottom guy.  I could see 6th/7th round picks being used to get a jump on the wavier wire.

Not sure what the IR rules are (if still relaxed from COVID-era) but they could IR the QB to save a roster spot in the short term.

Just now, jgb said:

Not sure what the IR rules are (if still relaxed from COVID-era) but they could IR the QB to save a roster spot in the short term.

I think you can't IR a guy until after Week 1 or else it's a season-long thing.  That may have changed with Covid though.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think they both make it. Think they may go 5 DE,  4 DT, and stash 1-2 DT on PS

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Why’s everyone so hot to trade Davis? Dude looked legit with the worst QB in the NFL throwing to him. 

He had a number of huge drops last year and is making some good dough - not sure I would use the word “legit” for his performance last year. Maybe “uneven” - some good, some bad. 

BUT - I also think he can a good complimentary piece on a championship offense (probably a 3rd-ish option like he was in Tennessee) and I don’t see him as a viable candidate for a trade. Wilson also seems to really like him. 

Zuniga was on the practice squad much of last year and not poached.  Shepherd was a free agent that signed for $1M non-guaranteed.  If these guys were worth even late rounders to somebody else they would not be here.  I don't see most of those guys as having much value, but whatever.  Seems insane to even think about trading Quinnen Williams.  Are we trying to continue our spiral of rebuild?  He is here.  He is good.  We are not.  Let's trade him?  I think Davis is better than people give him credit.  He is a starting caliber WR, but not a very good one.  Getting rid of him is not saving us anything or getting us anything of value.  

I think they will move a few players they like for 7ths or conditional picks on cutdown day, but as the case for the past several years - we are buyers.  Not sellers.

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He had a number of huge drops last year and is making some good dough - not sure I would use the word “legit” for his performance last year. Maybe “uneven” - some good, some bad. 

BUT - I also think he can a good complimentary piece on a championship offense (probably a 3rd-ish option like he was in Tennessee) and I don’t see him as a viable candidate for a trade. Wilson also seems to really like him. 

Fair but I happen to think incompetent QB play had a hand in that. The one season he played with a non-bad QB he showed up.

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jets get the slightest modicum of depth and jets fans race to trade it away for peanuts. How many of those would bring assets that are worthwhile back? In a year the Jets need to absolutely take a step forward as a team and at QB... you shouldn't be trading away any talent that is not bringing back superior talent in return. 

Draft capital and cap space have been the only things we have had to celebrate for over a decade. We will need time to move on from that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jets get the slightest modicum of depth and jets fans race to trade it away for peanuts. How many of those would bring assets that are worthwhile back? In a year the Jets need to absolutely take a step forward as a team and at QB... you shouldn't be trading away any talent that is not bringing back superior talent in return. 

Bingo 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm not sure you'd get all the much for Quinnen.

I think you’d get a decent haul for him

I didn’t think we’d get much for Sheldon Richardson (especially with his off the field stuff) and we ended up getting a 2nd round pick and Jermaine Kearse.

And Quinnen is a better player than Richardson was.

Still, I wouldn’t trade Q.

Yeah, he’s not Aaron Donald, but no one is.

He’s still a damn good player and I fully expect Douglas to re-sign him even if the price pisses some fans off.

• Upvote 2

If you trade QW that's fine, but it has to be for an sizable profit, and not just for saving face. Two first rounders to start as he's so young and under contract for two years. If it's a good team the two firsts are just wetting the appetite as the firsts won't be high. However, if you can get a favorable JA seahawks type deal +, then you do it. You have line depth and can get, not all, but a lot of his production from other guys on the roster, and set yourself up for more multiple first round pick drafts to just keep stacking the team with young talent. Sorry to the QW guys out there, but two+ young and talented players is better than one. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

If you trade QW that's fine, but it has to be for an sizable profit, and not just for saving face. Two first rounders to start as he's so young and under contract for two years. If it's a good team the two firsts are just wetting the appetite as the firsts won't be high. However, if you can get a favorable JA seahawks type deal +, then you do it. You have line depth and can get, not all, but a lot of his production from other guys on the roster, and set yourself up for more multiple first round pick drafts to just keep stacking the team with young talent. Sorry to the QW guys out there, but two+ young and talented players is better than one. 

We would be lucky to get one first rounder for him

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Highly doubt Huff is going anywhere. He consistently generates pressure. 

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We seem to be in a rare situation where we have significant depth at a few positions and will be forced to release some potential starting caliber players to get to the 53 man roster. Some of those cuts are not likely to make it to the practice squad. 

I also don't think we should be afraid to trade some of our bigger names since they are likely not part of our long term plans anyway.

Here are some players I would consider trading:

1. Quinnen Williams. Q is a very good but not great player. He is in the last year of his contract before the 5th year option which we would definitely exercise. Most estimates of his extension are in the $18-$20 million range. That is a TON for a non-elite defensive lineman. Similar to the Leo situation, Q would have a lot of value right now. Teams would have 2 seasons and control of the third with the franchise tag. We would get at least a first and probably more for him. We would be slightly weaker on the DL but we are so deep there, and under Saleh he rotates the lineman so much that the performance impact would be small, but we get $10 million in cap relief plus $20 million additional next year. That's 3-5 good players we can sign along the lines of Whitehead Conklin Reed Uzomah that we signed this year.

2. Corey Davis Corey is again a good player but not great. It is seriously doubtful that he is part of our future plans. In my view he has been a mild disappointment so far with some injuries and several key drops. He was a solid #2 in Tenn and many FO personnel will attribute his performance drop to our QB situation (right or not). Again a team would be guaranteed 2 years so he is not a rental. I think we could get as high as #2 for him and I am more than OK with just putting Garret in his spot and rolling with Moore and Wilson as our outside guys which also makes it easier to keep some of the WR that have been flashing and open up a spot for someone like Cager who could be a very versatile player for the Jets

3. Rankins/Shepherd These are veteran guys but to be honest I would rather keep Tanzel and Marshall on the roster than these guys and we might be able to get a couple late round picks for them instead of releasing them or much worse, trying to sneak our young guys onto the PS and having them claimed.

4. Ashtyn Davis Decent player, again maybe just a late rounder, but IMO Parks and Riley are better and the only reason to keep Davis is because we drafted him.

5. Trevon Wesco With Cager and Yeboah and Bawden the cuts at TE/FB become absolutely brutal. Wesco is a solid player that can play inline, some full back and catch a little. I like the upside of the other guys better and we went from the worst TE room in the NFL to one of the best so we can't keep them all. We might be able to get Yeboah to the PS again, and Cager showed some ability to block so we may be able to get some draft capital for Wesco who could be a useful addition for several NFL teams.

6. Ty Johnson I think we might only keep 3 RBs this year and Zonovan flashed quite a bit in the preseason game. I think Perrine gets cut, and I like Hall/Carter/BAM better than Hall/Carter/Johnson. he won't be coveted but a team may slip us something for Ty as depth

I know a lot of you are going to immediately say we should trade Mims, but from the promise he showed in his first year to his effort, conditioning and flashes in TC I think it makes a lot of sense to give Mims another year. His combination of size and speed is not common at all. If we trade Davis it makes it a lot easier to give Mims the year. The Jets certainly may trade him but it is not my preference.

Interested in people's thoughts. Also lets not ruin the thread with arguments about trading Zach there are tons of other threads for that conversation.

They would trade any one of those players minus Q.  He’s not getting traded unless someone makes a brain dead offer.  Doubtful.  
The FO thinks he’s a lot better than most here believe and he’s been our best DL this summer

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They would trade any one of those players minus Q.  He’s not getting traded unless someone makes a brain dead offer.  Doubtful.  
The FO thinks he’s a lot better than most here believe and he’s been our best DL this summer

Sure. I didn't deny that. You want to give him 4 years $80 million?

• Upvote 1